Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4455581 - 12/31/18 11:50 PM Steam Will Stop Working on Windows XP and Vista  
Allen Offline
Hotshot
Allen  Offline
Hotshot

Ohio USA
Steam Will Stop Working on Windows XP and Vista Starting Tomorrow (Avast Too)

Earlier this year, Valve announced that it will be dropping support for Windows XP and Vista starting January 1, 2019. Those who continue to be on XP or Vista will have to upgrade to Windows 7 or later if they wish to use Steam.

The decision was made after the continued decline of Steam gamers on these platforms, with less than 1% of its userbase coming from these two operating systems.

Sapphire Pulse RX7900XTX, 3 monitors = 23P (1080p) + SAMSUNG 32" Odyssey Neo G7 1000R curve (4K/2160p) + 23P (1080p), AMD R9-7950X (ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 420), 64GB RAM@6.0GHz, Gigabyte X670E AORUS MASTER MB, (4x M.2 SSD + 2xSSD + 2xHD) = ~52TB storage, EVGA 1600W PSU, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower, ASUS RT-AX89X 6000Mbps WiFi router, VKB Gladiator WW2 Stick, Pedals, G.Skill RGB KB, AORUS Thunder M7 Mouse, W11 Pro
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4457352 - 01/15/19 04:04 AM Re: Steam Will Stop Working on Windows XP and Vista [Re: Allen]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

These United States of America
Its been a long time since I used XP but that really seems like that stinks. If its not an issue for them to support I wish they would just continue to do so. I'd be curious to know how long those 1% users have been Steam customers and how often they use Steam. I don't like the idea at all of forcing someone who may not want to or need to, to update otherwise they can't use Steam and access their software. I'm quite happy with Windows 7 and its basically been my XP OS of later years. I have no desire or need to upgrade so I hope they don't pull something like this on Windows 7 users anytime soon. I don't like forced technology.

John 10:1-30
Romans 10:1-13

#4457359 - 01/15/19 05:45 AM Re: Steam Will Stop Working on Windows XP and Vista [Re: Coot]  
Redwolf Offline
Redwolf  Offline

Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
Ya, I got an ancient WinXP netbook that I very occasionally use for some out-of-town gaming with steam on it (also the back up of the back up old computer (that son uses sometimes) is a WinXP machine with steam) - I haven't fully checked it out since, but I believe as long as I don't allow steam to update, and set it (steam) to offline mode, I think they are still okay to play the the old winxp steam games on them - but yes, it is disappointing as these were bought and paid for games and I should still be able to play them. I recall reading somewhere that it was actually in some way shape or form connected to chrome as to why steam winXp support was ending.

Win10/ i5-7600/ 16GB RAM/ GTX1660 Super
#4457780 - 01/18/19 06:26 AM Re: Steam Will Stop Working on Windows XP and Vista [Re: Allen]  
FsFOOT Offline
FsFOOT  Offline

Steam works on Linux . Linux is free.. (well you can buy commercial versions of Linux but there is no reason to)

Originally Posted by distrowatch.com

Linux gamers should be pleased to learn that more and more popular gaming titles are becoming available. The GamingOnLinux website took at look at the most popular titles on Steam and discovered over half of the top 250 offer support for Linux. "Overall, out of the 250 most highly rated titles on Steam as reviewed by users, 132 of them have official Linux support. Compared with Mac which has 156, we're not far off there at all. Let's just remember how small the Linux gaming platform is compared to Windows, over 50% there really is impressive."

The only reason people don't try Linux is unfamilarity and profound advertising and brainwashing of the public by the M$ brand campaigners.

And it takes a tiny bit of reasearch to pick suitable performance version and features wanted (ie. Desktop environment, software wanted, etc.)

Switch your XP or Vista box to a suitable version of Linux (a version for older computers if your RAM less than 2 GB - otherwise I can certainly recomend what I use Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia I use the 'Mate' version desktop for performance and least load..

Mint 18 series is simply a customzed offshoot of Ubuntu 16.04 - which the probably most stable and widely supported OS ever (IMHO).

I actually ran the 18.1 on only a p4 1.8GHZ and 1 GB RAM but its a bit too slow.

There is an actual SteamOS Linux that is made for Steam.
And some people like Sparky Linux for gaming, there are various other versions.

https://distrowatch.com/ is a good plavce to start your Linux learning.

and btw you don't need any commandline knowledge nowadays to use Linux
(although it helps for more advanced stuff - but you can easily pasteb commands from example pages from websites on subjects as needed)
..everything in most common Distros is done simply from a desktop interface just like Windows.
in fact the whole idea of Windows came from Linux.. (well NextStep really..)
The whole new so-called modern interface Windows grabbed onto for W 8 to 10 was available over a Dozen years ago on Linux or MAC.
(personaly I hate Metro-like stuff so I would avoid those anyway)..

------------------------

To sum up Linux vs Windows is sort of like;

You can buy a car from a dealer (Windows) that tracks your every move and seeks to controls your future (or even take the car away at some point) and share all your data with the whole of cyberspace, goverments, etc,,,

or u can get prebuilt a whole car with the engine you want, the interior the color, features, all for free (Linux Distributions such as Mint, Ubuntu , etc.) and even you can get a Truck or Semi or 4- wheeler or Van, LImo whatever or a Formula 1, stock car, drag racer, motorcycle, whatever you want to build, the sky is the limit.!!!

Last edited by FsFOOT; 01/18/19 06:33 AM.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.