Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#4458323 - 01/23/19 12:30 AM Re: Your personal top 10 bands/artists? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Blade_Meister, I don't remember that event (lived in Atlanta from 1988 to 1996) but I do remember Gary McKee, also the 5 o'clock whistle and Katie Kylie.

My favorite 96 Rock story...

1989...Sitting in my new '89 CRX Si at the Chamblee Marta station, windows down and sunroof open, waiting for my wife to return home from work (GP building, we lived in Post Brookhaven Apts.). Katie Kylie announces that she's about to play the new Rush. Rush? Meh. These old farts are still around (in '89 smile )? She played "Show Don't Tell" (soon to be followed by "Presto" and "The Pass"). I liked it (them). It didn't match their early stuff but I thought it was better than most of their 80's stuff (which I would eventually become a fan of, starting with "A Show of Hands" concert CD). I missed the "Presto" tour but started going to Rush concerts with the follow-up "Roll the Bones" tour (1991).

++++++++++

PM, I'm going to start a Top 10 album thread on Friday as I'm off music until Thursday (my better ear covered by bandages until then).

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#4459033 - 01/28/19 04:14 PM Re: Your personal top 10 bands/artists? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
1. Pink Floyd
2. Van Valen (DLR era)
3 Neil Young
4. Judas Priest
5. Alice Cooper
6. Thin Lizzy
7. UFO
8. Black Sabbath
9. Led Zeppelin
10. The Cranberries

In the past, Led Zeppelin would be higher rated, but I've heard some of their songs too many times.

#4459034 - 01/28/19 04:24 PM Re: Your personal top 10 bands/artists? [Re: Blade_Meister]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by Blade_Meister
Originally Posted by MarkG
I don't know that I can choose my top 10 bands/artists, there's just too many. I'd have an easier time choosing my top 10 albums. To what's been mentioned already I would add Foreigner, REO Speedwagon, Pat Benatar, Ozzy, Steely Dan/Donald Fagen, Eagles, Boston, Alan Parsons Project, Van Halen, AC/DC, Chicago...the list goes on and on.

I guess it just depends on the mood I'm in or want to be in.

++++++++++

You know I *have* to go here... biggrin

It's suggested that your musical tastes is mostly set as a teenager and doesn't change a whole lot for some over their lifetime (or something like that)...
https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/12/17003076/spotify-data-shows-songs-teens-adult-taste-music
https://edm.com/news/teenagers-music-adult-lives

At my first high school, the music I was into reflected family influence (older brother) but also what the neighborhood kids were listening to which is heavier than what I've listened to since, although I still revisit it sometimes. Starting with the first week or two at my second high school, beginning of January 1984 (love at first sight, in hot pursuit) my musical tastes softened considerably (from vintage Rush to Bryan Adams) because that's the state of mind I was in. I remember my musical tastes (what I'd put into my Walkman or stereo when I came home from school) changing practically overnight, listening to music I would have shunned December of 1983.

So had that not happened, had I not met my future wife at such a young impressionable age, I likely wouldn't have gotten so much into 80's romantic power ballads and my musical preferences today would likely still be heavier. Although I've always liked the typical power ballad song structure (slow tempo with heavy cymbal crashes and strong guitar solos).

I'm about to put away the 90's for a while, too much post-80's is not good for the soul, IMO.

Good story and the significant other influencing your musical tastes is interesting. The last girl I dated(now my ex wife) influenced me also from Classic Hard Rock to Judas Priest. Turbo was my introduction to Dark Rock or Heavy Metal, whatever you want to say. Went to see them in concert with her and that was weird. I enjoyed the drum beats and synthesizers but the lyrics were just to dark for me, not to mention when I found out how Rob Halford supposedly has a liking of under age boys I decided no more JP. Then my ex was jaded to Southern and Classic Rock.
Anyway, good story & all .... Blah, Blah, Blah!
MarkG, either you man up and come up with a top ten Bands\Artists list or you are going to have to hand over your Man Card. Simple as that, figure it out or you will be classified as not having a pair. Sorry, your list and choices are just about Definitely not going to change the world, so ... Just DO It!!! winkngrin

S!Blade<><

Dave Holland, the drummer was arrested in 2004 for sexual assault of a 17 year old male.
Rob Halford is gay, he came out in 1998 ( I know it's wrong, but I struggled to accept this for awhile).

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.