Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4457401 - 01/15/19 03:49 PM Your personal top 10 bands/artists?  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Purely subjective of course but which artists/bands are your top 10 favorites of all time? I'm just curious to see the choices posted.

Here is my list:

Pink Floyd
The Beatles
Rolling Stones
The Who
Creedence Clearwater Revival
Genesis
The Beach Boys
Fleetwood Mac
The Police
Rush

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4457489 - 01/16/19 02:58 AM Re: Your personal top 10 bands/artists? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Blade_Meister Offline
Blade_Meister  Offline

Atlanta, GA, USA
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Pink Floyd
Led Zepplin
Rush
Yes
ZZ Top
Molly Hatchet
Blackfoot
Kansas
Steve Ray Vahn

Can you tell that I turned 16 in 1980. There are so many more, but these are my top 10. yep

S!Blade<><

#4457497 - 01/16/19 06:11 AM Re: Your personal top 10 bands/artists? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
HomeFries Offline
Air Dominance Project
HomeFries  Offline
Air Dominance Project

Rush
Iron Maiden
Judas Priest
Pink Floyd
Rolling Stones
The Police
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Earth Wind & Fire
Journey

-Home Fries

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
- Robert A. Heinlein

The average naval aviator, despite the sometimes swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy, and caring. These feelings just don't involve anyone else.

#4457502 - 01/16/19 08:50 AM Re: Your personal top 10 bands/artists? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
mikew Offline
mikew  Offline

UK
Off the top of my head, I can only think of 4 that would definitely go into that category:
Pink Floyd
Genesis
Queen
ELO

Then 6 more that would complete my 'current' top ten
Anathema
Nightwish
Muse
Opeth
Dream Theater
Therion

Hey, I'm participating in some sort of social media opinion poll. My life is over. frown

#4457507 - 01/16/19 10:39 AM Re: Your personal top 10 bands/artists? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
NH2112 Offline
Veteran
NH2112  Offline
Veteran

Jackman, ME
Rush
Iron Maiden
Yes
Kansas
Styx
BÖC
The Who
Al Stewart
Megadeth
Triumph

Phil

“The biggest problem people have is they don’t think they’re supposed to have problems.” - Hayes Barnard
#4457525 - 01/16/19 02:29 PM Re: Your personal top 10 bands/artists? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
David Kennard Offline
David Kennard  Offline

Northern Virginia, USA
Top bands for me in no particular order . . . .

R.E.M.
Creedence Clearwater Revival
U2
Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band
AC/DC
Rolling Stones
Prince
Foo Fighters
Def Leppard

and rotating 10th spot for whatever my current favorite of the moment is:

Sturgill Simpson

Last edited by David Kennard; 01/16/19 02:30 PM.

"I'm a hundred miles away son, ready to strike"

GPL Racing: Average Drivers Club

SimHQ Motorsports: SimHQ Motorsports

EVGA Z170 Classified K MB, Intel i7-6700K CPU, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW2 GPU, EVGA 850 G3 PSU, Bitfenix Dawn TG Case, Windows 10,
32gb T-Force Delta RGB DDR4 3600MHz Memory, 500gb WD Black SN750 NVMe Boot Drive

#4457531 - 01/16/19 03:03 PM Re: Your personal top 10 bands/artists? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
I don't know that I can choose my top 10 bands/artists, there's just too many. I'd have an easier time choosing my top 10 albums. To what's been mentioned already I would add Foreigner, REO Speedwagon, Pat Benatar, Ozzy, Steely Dan/Donald Fagen, Eagles, Boston, Alan Parsons Project, Van Halen, AC/DC, Chicago...the list goes on and on.

I guess it just depends on the mood I'm in or want to be in.

++++++++++

You know I *have* to go here... biggrin

It's suggested that your musical tastes is mostly set as a teenager and doesn't change a whole lot for some over their lifetime (or something like that)...
https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/12/17003076/spotify-data-shows-songs-teens-adult-taste-music
https://edm.com/news/teenagers-music-adult-lives

At my first high school, the music I was into reflected family influence (older brother) but also what the neighborhood kids were listening to which is heavier than what I've listened to since, although I still revisit it sometimes. Starting with the first week or two at my second high school, beginning of January 1984 (love at first sight, in hot pursuit) my musical tastes softened considerably (from vintage Rush to Bryan Adams) because that's the state of mind I was in. I remember my musical tastes (what I'd put into my Walkman or stereo when I came home from school) changing practically overnight, listening to music I would have shunned December of 1983.

So had that not happened, had I not met my future wife at such a young impressionable age, I likely wouldn't have gotten so much into 80's romantic power ballads and my musical preferences today would likely still be heavier. Although I've always liked the typical power ballad song structure (slow tempo with heavy cymbal crashes and strong guitar solos).

I'm about to put away the 90's for a while, too much post-80's is not good for the soul, IMO.

Attached Files DSCF3679.JPG

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#4457539 - 01/16/19 03:18 PM Re: Your personal top 10 bands/artists? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Good post Mark!

You should start a new thread about the top 10 favorite albums.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4457541 - 01/16/19 04:20 PM Re: Your personal top 10 bands/artists? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
I can do that (unless we have another volunteer). I'll give it some thought.

The sun is in the east
#4457545 - 01/16/19 05:11 PM Re: Your personal top 10 bands/artists? [Re: MarkG]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by MarkG
I can do that (unless we have another volunteer). I'll give it some thought.

The top 10 would be very easy for me to list since they are albums that I have lost count how many times I've listened to and where I love every single track. smile

#4457566 - 01/16/19 08:59 PM Re: Your personal top 10 bands/artists? [Re: MarkG]  
Blade_Meister Offline
Blade_Meister  Offline

Atlanta, GA, USA
I don't know that I can choose my top 10 bands/artists, there's just too many. I'd have an easier time choosing my top 10 albums. To what's been mentioned already I would add Foreigner, REO Speedwagon, Pat Benatar, Ozzy, Steely Dan/Donald Fagen, Eagles, Boston, Alan Parsons Project, Van Halen, AC/DC, Chicago...the list goes on and on.

I guess it just depends on the mood I'm in or want to be in.

++++++++++

You know I *have* to go here... biggrin

It's suggested that your musical tastes is mostly set as a teenager and doesn't change a whole lot for some over their lifetime (or something like that)...
https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/12/17003076/spotify-data-shows-songs-teens-adult-taste-music
https://edm.com/news/teenagers-music-adult-lives

At my first high school, the music I was into reflected family influence (older brother) but also what the neighborhood kids were listening to which is heavier than what I've listened to since, although I still revisit it sometimes. Starting with the first week or two at my second high school, beginning of January 1984 (love at first sight, in hot pursuit) my musical tastes softened considerably (from vintage Rush to Bryan Adams) because that's the state of mind I was in. I remember my musical tastes (what I'd put into my Walkman or stereo when I came home from school) changing practically overnight, listening to music I would have shunned December of 1983.

So had that not happened, had I not met my future wife at such a young impressionable age, I likely wouldn't have gotten so much into 80's romantic power ballads and my musical preferences today would likely still be heavier. Although I've always liked the typical power ballad song structure (slow tempo with heavy cymbal crashes and strong guitar solos).

I'm about to put away the 90's for a while, too much post-80's is not good for the soul, IMO.

Good story and the significant other influencing your musical tastes is interesting. The last girl I dated(now my ex wife) influenced me also from Classic Hard Rock to Judas Priest. Turbo was my introduction to Dark Rock or Heavy Metal, whatever you want to say. Went to see them in concert with her and that was weird. I enjoyed the drum beats and synthesizers but the lyrics were just to dark for me, not to mention when I found out how Rob Halford supposedly has a liking of under age boys I decided no more JP. Then my ex was jaded to Southern and Classic Rock.
Anyway, good story & all .... Blah, Blah, Blah!
MarkG, either you man up and come up with a top ten Bands\Artists list or you are going to have to hand over your Man Card. Simple as that, figure it out or you will be classified as not having a pair. Sorry, your list and choices are just about Definitely not going to change the world, so ... Just DO It!!! winkngrin

S!Blade<><

#4457618 - 01/17/19 04:45 AM Re: Your personal top 10 bands/artists? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Pffft. I keep a couple of Poison songs on regular rotation, I don't think they ever gave me a Man Card. biggrin

Ok, this is the best I can come up with, from best to worst (the worst still beating or tying *so* many of my other favortie bands and artists not listed)...

1. Rush
2. Pink Floyd
3. Styx
4. Steely Dan
5. The Alan Parsons Project
6. Journey
7. Van Halen
8. Metallica
9. Foreigner
10. Alabama

++++++++++

I introduced my wife to Rock with a mix tape. She introduced me to modern Country with Alabama, first date and first concert ('84).

The sun is in the east
#4457656 - 01/17/19 11:25 AM Re: Your personal top 10 bands/artists? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
I've tried several times to get into Country but it just doesn't connect with me.

Southern Rock though is a totally different story.

#4457684 - 01/17/19 03:44 PM Re: Your personal top 10 bands/artists? [Re: MarkG]  
Blade_Meister Offline
Blade_Meister  Offline

Atlanta, GA, USA
Pffft. I keep a couple of Poison songs on regular rotation, I don't think they ever gave me a Man Card. biggrin

Ok, this is the best I can come up with, from best to worst (the worst still beating or tying *so* many of my other favortie bands and artists not listed)...

1. Rush
2. Pink Floyd
3. Styx
4. Steely Dan
5. The Alan Parsons Project
6. Journey
7. Van Halen
8. Metallica
9. Foreigner
10. Alabama

++++++++++

I introduced my wife to Rock with a mix tape. She introduced me to modern Country with Alabama, first date and first concert ('84).

PFFT! NO MAN CARD? Are you part of the Gillette movement?

Man card applications are still available hahaha
Nice list. Love all of the Bands you listed. Just can't get into Metallica, love the drum beats but the lyrics are just to dark and negative to me. If I had to list a country band Alabama would be the one, but Marshall Tucker would Trump them in my list. I am surprised you don't have any Southern Rock Bands on your list. Are you a Yankee??? hahaha hahaha

S!Blade<><

#4457769 - 01/18/19 03:31 AM Re: Your personal top 10 bands/artists? [Re: Blade_Meister]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Originally Posted by Blade_Meister
PFFT! NO MAN CARD? Are you part of the Gillette movement?

Nah, I use a Norelco wet razor. If you're talking about that toxic masculinity stuff, I don't know nothing about that. I still live in 80's (trying to transition to the 90's but still not over the demise of pop-up headlights and big-haired fitness chicks in leg warmers). biggrin

Originally Posted by Blade_Meister
Nice list. Love all of the Bands you listed. Just can't get into Metallica, love the drum beats but the lyrics are just to dark and negative to me. If I had to list a country band Alabama would be the one, but Marshall Tucker would Trump them in my list. I am surprised you don't have any Southern Rock Bands on your list. Are you a Yankee??? hahaha hahaha

Eh, remember I started the Southern Rock thread? smile And if I would have listed my top 10 bands/artists when posting that thread, Skynyrd might have made it.

I even thought about including Soundgarden and/or Alice in Chains but I know that's only because I've been listening to them allot recently. Only my top 2 have no chance of moving anywhere in the rankings, also reflected by favorite albums and number of albums I own of each band.

The sun is in the east
#4457772 - 01/18/19 03:41 AM Re: Your personal top 10 bands/artists? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
BTW Blade from Atlanta, remember this?

Attached Files highrez.jpg

The sun is in the east
#4457806 - 01/18/19 02:10 PM Re: Your personal top 10 bands/artists? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
David Kennard Offline
David Kennard  Offline

Northern Virginia, USA
Anytime we cruised through Atlanta on the way to Spring Break in FL we def tuned into 96 Rock

Any Nashvillians out there remember 103.3 WKDF

Rockin' Nashville for 30yrs until the dreaded format change in 1999 to Country 103, ugh another country station needed in Nashville I guess . . . go figure

[Linked Image]

"I'm a hundred miles away son, ready to strike"

GPL Racing: Average Drivers Club

SimHQ Motorsports: SimHQ Motorsports

EVGA Z170 Classified K MB, Intel i7-6700K CPU, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW2 GPU, EVGA 850 G3 PSU, Bitfenix Dawn TG Case, Windows 10,
32gb T-Force Delta RGB DDR4 3600MHz Memory, 500gb WD Black SN750 NVMe Boot Drive

#4457810 - 01/18/19 02:34 PM Re: Your personal top 10 bands/artists? [Re: David Kennard]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by David Kennard
ugh another country station needed in Nashville I guess . . . go figure

When I lived in West Texas well over 50% of all the radio stations were either Country or Tejano. There was exactly one classic rock station and one Top 40 Pop station.

#4458050 - 01/20/19 06:24 AM Re: Your personal top 10 bands/artists? [Re: MarkG]  
Blade_Meister Offline
Blade_Meister  Offline

Atlanta, GA, USA
BTW Blade from Atlanta, remember this?

Dude, 96Rock ruled and was the station I listened to when not listening to an 8track in the early 70s, a cassette in the early 80s or a cd int the late 80s. yep

But do you remember WQXI (Pronounced, Quickci) Gary McKee and This annual event.

Sorry PM.

Chatahoochee Raft Race

S!Blade<><

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Attached Files ramblinraftspread.jpg0615_ramblinraft013_oneuseonly.jpg
Last edited by Blade_Meister; 01/20/19 06:59 AM.
#4458102 - 01/20/19 08:11 PM Re: Your personal top 10 bands/artists? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
EAF331 MadDog Offline
XBL: LanceHawkins
EAF331 MadDog  Offline
XBL: LanceHawkins
Hotshot

Oslo, Norway
Let's see...

Queen (all time favorite)
Bruce Springsteen
Iron Maiden
Bon Jovi
Alice Cooper
The Alarm
Paul McCartney
Genesis
Nightwish
Clannad

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.