Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4457253 - 01/14/19 02:20 PM Resurrecting Old Thrustmaster Gameport Hardware  
PSU_Jedi Offline
PSU_Jedi  Offline

Washington, DC
All,

I've combed through these forums and found a lot of information about how to mod old gameport hardware to USB so that you can still use them. However, everything I've found has involved people digging into the joysticks and throttles and replacing boards. I'm not quite there yet.

I've just started learning arduino and haven't delved into circuitry very much since I was in college 20 years ago, so the work I want to do is all going to be external to my existing flight hardware (I really don't want to accidentally ruin these nice controls).

I have a Thrustmaster F-22 Pro, F-16 TQS, and the Pro Rudder pedals. I want to hook them up as they normally would and then make a "black box" from the gameport that would've normally connected to the computer. I'm convinced this is possible, but maybe a little more complicated than going directly into the base of the controller and modifying there. Has anyone attempted to this project this way? If so, what were the pitfalls? TIA

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4457261 - 01/14/19 03:36 PM Re: Resurrecting Old Thrustmaster Gameport Hardware [Re: PSU_Jedi]  
Sokol1 Offline
Sokol1  Offline

Internet
Several persons have done this kind of modernization, using BU0836, MJoy16, MMjoy2.. Arduino with custom code.

But you necessarily don't need create program for Arduino, joystick code already exist, just need flash then, e.g. the popular MMjoy2 for Aduino PRO Micro, Teensy 2.0...topic about in this forum, with some F16FLCS conversions - search in the topic backwards.:

http://SimHQ.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3899105/1

Beware that with any solution you choose, TQS need extensive redo of internal wires and replace their "eraserhead" thing (a kind of serial mouse not support by any joystick firmware), stick and pedal just need add one wire in each potentiometer.

#4458769 - 01/26/19 05:16 PM Re: Resurrecting Old Thrustmaster Gameport Hardware [Re: Sokol1]  
PSU_Jedi Offline
PSU_Jedi  Offline

Washington, DC
Sokol1, I've read through many of your posts in this forum regarding work you've done and it's been helpful. But it looks like you've just confirmed that there's no way to get these flight controls working without opening them up. I had hoped to just take the signals coming out of the gameport and convert them from there.

#4458925 - 01/27/19 04:50 PM Re: Resurrecting Old Thrustmaster Gameport Hardware [Re: PSU_Jedi]  
Sokol1 Offline
Sokol1  Offline

Internet
Well, you will need create and code for Arduino or other USB board for make this external converter, like Real Simulador did for Cougar TQS, their TUSBA Adapter.

Similar to these adapters - that still available, released around 2000, when joysticks migrated from gameport to USB, that limited axes to only 8 bits (256 points) and recognize up to 6/8 buttons.

Probable the best reference about an DIY gameport>USB adapter is the old 3DVERT for use Microsoft Force Feedback PRO (gameport) in USB port.

https://www.descentbb.net/viewtopic.php?t=7090

What require manufacture an PCB and solder components:

[Linked Image]

Similar: https://dicks.home.xs4all.nl/avr/usbtiny/

An option that is more complicated, laborious, costly, subject to errors than just get a couple of cheap (~$6) Arduino PRO Micro, flash MMJoy2* firmware (job similar to record a file in DVD), just solder* 2 new wires inside F22PRO joystick and redo all wiring inside F-16 TQS.

* Just one option, are others code for Arduino around. I suggest MMJoy2 because:

- Was based on MJoy8/16 (2004) DIY USB controller - build by hundreds of simmers (I build a half dozen) and used today in GVL224 and Kanttorini throttles, in the past by BRD controls.
- MMjoy code was developed by MegaMOZG, the same guy that after create VirPil/VPC electronics.
- Was used by hundreds of DIY simmers.

**As you see, all options require make solders. wink

Don't know if still in business, but this guy have developed an more ready to use option:

http://www.spec-tech-dmt.com/products.html

Anyway pictures serves as example of what you need do if opt by DIY way. smile

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.