Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4457093 - 01/13/19 06:51 AM "system failure", engine fires, and just barely landing  
Waldemar_Kurtz Offline
Waldemar_Kurtz  Offline

I've gotten this SYSTEM FAILURE warning a couple of times while flying aircraft with inline engines... and mostly it meant that the engine went dead and I would have to dead-stick my way back to base.

this evening I got a 'system failure' that was a bit more spectacular.... on April 8th, 1917 my Sopwith Pup had a problem as soon as I crossed over German lines so I decided to turn back. then, when I was a couple of miles behind friendly territory it burst into flames at 8000 ft. I put my nose down and flew as fast as I safely could. I could hear all sorts of creaking, groaning, and tearing. by the time I landed my health was at 25% and I could barely see. my wingtips were tattered and my wings looked awful. but, the important thing is that I landed and didn't die.

curiously, the game decided that 16 days in the hospital was good enough. I advanced the time manually so that my pilot wouldn't fly again until August 18th, 1917. 132 days feels a bit more plausible... and even that feels kinda generous. haven't flown missions with this fellow yet... because part of me was thinking I should just have him 'retire' and advance things to the end of the war.

he was my most aggressive and luckiest pilot yet. he flew 17 missions for a total of 14.32 hours. won a Military Cross and a Distinguished Service Order for shooting down 10 enemy aircraft in seven missions during his first week at the front. his wingman did pretty well too - shooting down 7. on March 29th his lucky wingman got killed by a DFW CV. he avenged that death by flaming the pair of Hun two-seaters that killed him. but he got injured in the process. when he recovered he would make seven more claims before he had his unlucky engine fire.

he's made a total of 21 claims but only 14 of them have been confirmed.

what do you guys think? should I try to press my luck further with this guy and fly him until he dies? or does the 14 victory British ace go on a press tour, write a book, and retire because his injuries were too severe for him to see combat again?

#4457102 - 01/13/19 11:19 AM Re: "system failure", engine fires, and just barely landing [Re: Waldemar_Kurtz]  
Sailor_Steve Offline
Sailor_Steve  Offline

Salt Lake City, Utah, U.S. of ...
I've seen that same warning a couple of times, but It was while I was learning the game and I had the plane set for "Invincible". I assumed at that time that it was trying to inform me of problems I couldn't actually have, hence the rather generic "System Failure". I haven't seen that warning since I began my careers, and this is the first I've read of it happening. But I'm still new, having played for only seven months. I will say that I'm surprised you made it back at all, since every time I've had a plane catch fire I've died, except for once when I shut the engine down and the fire went out. This has happened three times so far, fortunately not since I began my series of careers tracking the whole war.

As to your question, I try to come up with different dice-rolling systems to help me decide. Beyond that, since you asked for opinions, I'm not sure what I'd do. I agree that sixteen days seems a little light for being burned that badly. I like each of ;my pilots, and I too would be torn between keeping him flying and keeping him safe. The only real answer I can give is another couple of questions: What would he want, and what would they allow? If the game says he can go back to work, I think I'd probably take that option. If he was so badly injured he couldn't fly, or it took a year to recover, maybe retirement might be in order.

Good luck to him, whatever you decide.

Some people are born stupid. I've had to work hard my whole life to get this way. I'm proud of the job I've done
#4457107 - 01/13/19 12:04 PM Re: "system failure", engine fires, and just barely landing [Re: Waldemar_Kurtz]  
lederhosen Offline
lederhosen  Offline

Germany
Engine failures are not uncommen in this sim. I've lost many a pilot this way. If you get a warning then don't press your luck.... throttle down or even engine off and glide down.
The spontanious combustion is a dreadfull event, and if you are using time x2,4,6 etc then you can die rather quickly.

75% damage from fire....I'd say his days are over.

Last edited by lederhosen; 01/13/19 12:04 PM.

make mistakes and learn from them

I5 4440 3.1Ghz, Asrock B85m Pro3, Gtx 1060 3GB
#4457114 - 01/13/19 12:37 PM Re: "system failure", engine fires, and just barely landing [Re: Waldemar_Kurtz]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man

L'Etoile du Nord

I have to agree with lederhosen, any pilot who suffered those kinds of burns would be done in RL. Poor sod, what an awful way to end a brilliant, albeit short, career. He deserves to go home and attempt to get on with his virtual life.

As to the "system failure" warning, I've received it numerous times over the years. It can mean a variety of things so it's best to shut off the mags and fuel and find a friendly place to land ASAP.

[Linked Image]

Three RFC Brass Hats were strolling down a street in London. Two walked into a bar, the third one ducked.

Former Cold War Warrior, USAF Security Service 1974-1978, E-4, Morse Systems Intercept, England, Europe, and points above.
"pippy-pahpah-pippy pah-pip-pah"

#4457158 - 01/13/19 06:06 PM Re: "system failure", engine fires, and just barely landing [Re: Waldemar_Kurtz]  
Waldemar_Kurtz Offline
Waldemar_Kurtz  Offline

thanks for the feedback. I was tempted to keep going because I created a fun little aircraft skin for him - and he had done so very well... but I felt like he had an exciting enough career.

he got pretty badly injured after his 11th and 12th victories (which was also the death of his best wingman. poor old Andy Buxton had scored 7 victories in a mere 11 days at the front. guess we both got too confident about attacking those German two-seaters. you can see the blood spatter on the screen when my pilot was working over the DFW that killed his mate)

I didn't take any snapshots of my Sopwith Pup burning up in mid-air because.... I was too busy trying to land and NOT DIE. ;-)

the aircraft skin is adapted from the fine work of the OBD team.

this pilot is also the very first pilot I've had to make 'ace'. the Sopwith Pup is a wonderful little plane... my only complaint is that it's not fast enough to chase those Albatros D.IIIs. which is why I tend to loiter ABOVE the assigned mission altitudes so that I can dive on unsuspecting victims. and the flak bursts are usually my best way of locating them.

Attached Files Edmund Taverner 14-victory plane.jpgEdmund Taverner Dossier 1.jpgEdmund Taverner Dossier 2.jpgET vic 8.jpgET vic 11.jpgPup flying low over Western Front Ruins.jpg
#4457287 - 01/14/19 07:03 PM Re: "system failure", engine fires, and just barely landing [Re: Waldemar_Kurtz]  
ARUP Offline
ARUP  Offline

Kentucky
Your guy should retire! He probably doesn't have fingers, toes, ears or a nose but should be given a chance to chase some skirts!

#4457301 - 01/14/19 08:35 PM Re: "system failure", engine fires, and just barely landing [Re: Waldemar_Kurtz]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Waldemar, this will not help the poor burned chap but in the future try to side slip and shut off the engine. This will keep the flames away from your pilot and may put the flames out also. It has worked for me before.

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
BOC Member since....I can't remember!
#4457399 - 01/15/19 03:26 PM Re: "system failure", engine fires, and just barely landing [Re: Waldemar_Kurtz]  
lederhosen Offline
lederhosen  Offline

Germany
nice skin too

make mistakes and learn from them

I5 4440 3.1Ghz, Asrock B85m Pro3, Gtx 1060 3GB
#4460652 - 02/09/19 10:29 PM Re: "system failure", engine fires, and just barely landing [Re: Waldemar_Kurtz]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
I have found the Hispano-powered SE5 and SE5a prone to failure if flown at 100% power. I fly about 80% when not in combat and rarely have problems.

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans