#4456920 - 01/11/19 05:15 PM Re: Is the printed page dying? [Re: semmern]  
CyBerkut Online content
Administrator
CyBerkut  Online Content
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
Originally Posted by semmern
... There’s just something about the tactility of a book in your hand, and I find the constant background light from a screen tiring.

I use white text on a black background in my Kindle apps for that reason. That, plus being able to adjust the font to a larger size when desired makes Kindle better for my purposes. The Kindle Unlimited plan (temporarily borrow up to 10 books at a time) more than pays for itself (for me) also. Heck, I save enough on that to more than pay for this $amsung tablet I'm using. smile

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4456922 - 01/11/19 05:29 PM Re: Is the printed page dying? [Re: CyBerkut]  
cichlidfan Offline
cichlidfan  Offline

Woodbridge, VA, USA
Originally Posted by CyBerkut
Originally Posted by semmern
... There’s just something about the tactility of a book in your hand, and I find the constant background light from a screen tiring.

I use white text on a black background in my Kindle apps for that reason. That, plus being able to adjust the font to a larger size when desired makes Kindle better for my purposes. The Kindle Unlimited plan (temporarily borrow up to 10 books at a time) more than pays for itself (for me) also. Heck, I save enough on that to more than pay for this $amsung tablet I'm using. smile

I love my real books and I still own a few hundred of them (including some autographed first editions). I used to own well over a 1000 of them but moving around made it impractical. If I had a physical copy of every book I have read in the past few years ( I read about 100 to 150 books a year) I would be walking through stacks of books every day. The plus side is that I can eat ribs and read without worrying about leaving a stain on the pages.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1
#4456930 - 01/11/19 06:47 PM Re: Is the printed page dying? [Re: MarkG]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Ice Cold in Alex or Eating in ...
Still prefer the printed matter but I use Kindle/ebooks almost exclusively, I have hundreds of books mainly hardbacks and some well over 100 years old. Last paper book I bought was a Haynes F-14 manual, I'm hoping the discount book store still has the rest of the aircraft manuals they had left when I go back to Scotland in a few weeks time.

As for the kindle books, yes some of them do get updated from time to time usually to correct typos in the scanning/OCR process.

I much prefer a proper paper book / manual to leaf through and search, make notes etc
Edit: Yeah, I use white text on a black background and usually the brightness turned right down

Last edited by Alicatt; 01/11/19 06:48 PM.

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron
#4456931 - 01/11/19 06:59 PM Re: Is the printed page dying? [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
I appreciate the kind words, Scott and others.

It was scary to me yesterday as I wasn't getting much information until my wife got home from work. I tend to give out too much information sometimes whereas she's the exact opposite (quiet keep-it-to-yourself type), telling me nothing over the phone except, "Watch the 12 o'clock News but don't be overly concerned about what you see." Ehhh, ok. This doesn't look good.

It's going to be weird not seeing GP paper on store shelves any more (of course we notice it).

In any case, these events are giving me a boot up my butt right now, which is a good thing. smile

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#4456947 - 01/11/19 09:55 PM Re: Is the printed page dying? [Re: MarkG]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Ice Cold in Alex or Eating in ...
Mark glad to hear your wife managed to stay on.

My daughter in law was one of the ones that was persuaded to take a redundancy from Ford Belgium a few years ago, she was on the point of quitting anyway, but in light of what happened a few months later with Ford closing down their factory and test track where she worked as a test driver in Lommel, if she had hung on she would have got a better severance package and more help from Govt. schemes. As it is she has now almost completed training as a teacher just doing her final exams in this and the following week.

While my son is in a very well paid and stressful job - he is a partner in an accountancy firm, financially she does not need to work but she is not the type to sit at home as a lady of leisure so is still seeking out a place for herself in the working world.

Before she left Ford she got the chance to take myself around the test track and highspeed circuit which was fun and informative.

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron
#4456953 - 01/11/19 10:54 PM Re: Is the printed page dying? [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Now, that's a cool job your daughter in law had, Alicatt! thumbsup

++++++++++

It never occurred to me just how many people can potentially be affected by something like this...
LSU economist says paper mill shutdown will lead to loss of nearly 2,800 jobs

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#4456957 - 01/11/19 11:45 PM Re: Is the printed page dying? [Re: MarkG]  
wheelsup_cavu Offline
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Offline
Lifer

Corona, California
Everything has a ripple effect Mark. When the aircraft industry was downsizing here in California all anyone heard about on the news was their layoffs. You didn't hear about the job shops, small coffee shops, diners, convenience stores, etc that went under because their customer base disappeared practically overnight.

Wheels

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

Mission4Today (Campaigns, Missions, and Skins for IL-2)
Planes of Fame Air Museum | March Field Air Museum | Palm Springs Air Museum
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.