Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#4456992 - 01/12/19 01:15 PM Re: The division 2 dumped steam for epic store [Re: Coot]  
Vaderini Offline
Vaderini  Offline

Originally Posted by Coot
they still can't afford the time, people with a desire and resources to make a Half-Life 3?

People have been working on and off on it all the time, but they don't have enough good original ideas for it to make a game out of it. HL2 has become somewhat of a poisoned chalice; for a sequel to one of the most critcally and influential games of all times, only perfection suffices. And that is a high bar.

I don't look forward to the day when Steam says its no longer interested in being Steam and then they up and disappear along with multiple decades worth of our money and product. Or in doing so require us to assimilate into some other invasive procedure just to save our game catalogs.

Why would they do that instead of selling the store to another company? And why would they lose interest in a storefront in the first place?

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4457045 - 01/12/19 08:14 PM Re: The division 2 dumped steam for epic store [Re: Blade_RJ]  
Coot Online content
Pilgrim
Coot  Online Content
Pilgrim
Veteran

These United States of America
Good question. Hence my "Or require us to assimilate into some other invasive procedure, just to save our game catalogs" statement. That's what I see as something that could happen, Steam being bought out by another company and changing hands who then may require us, in order to preserve our "property", to engage in a system and service that we may not like or agree with and it could be more invasive than the last system. Doesn't have to happen but I think it could especially in this digital age. Why would they loose interest in the first place? I can't answer that but I have some ideas and in some form or another, I think its likely to happen. There are more things built into society besides oil that act as a hook in the jaw or a ring in the nose in our lives and at some point we need to say, "no we won't follow" for our own sake.

I'd be curious to know if they have actually worked off and on on a Half-Life 3 project or not. I think they lost the game's writer a long time ago plus they were making other games. As a fan of the series I would love to see a Half-Life 3 but I don't need it. There are far more important things. I understand the poison chalice thing and maybe they are boxed into a corner creatively or what have you but there is no such thing as perfect. It would not have to be. It would just need to be quality as with anything else. You can't please everyone but I think they could make a quality game.

John 10:1-30
Romans 10:1-13

#4457049 - 01/12/19 08:37 PM Re: The division 2 dumped steam for epic store [Re: Vaderini]  
DaBBQ Offline
Bug Stompe....Quisling
DaBBQ  Offline
Bug Stompe....Quisling

Originally Posted by Vaderini
Originally Posted by Coot
they still can't afford the time, people with a desire and resources to make a Half-Life 3?

People have been working on and off on it all the time, but they don't have enough good original ideas for it to make a game out of it. HL2 has become somewhat of a poisoned chalice; for a sequel to one of the most critcally and influential games of all times, only perfection suffices. And that is a high bar.

I don't look forward to the day when Steam says its no longer interested in being Steam and then they up and disappear along with multiple decades worth of our money and product. Or in doing so require us to assimilate into some other invasive procedure just to save our game catalogs.

Why would they do that instead of selling the store to another company? And why would they lose interest in a storefront in the first place?

Frogboy, the creator of Galactic Civilization, created a digital service as a rival steam due to the backlash from anti-piracy methods used back then. He sold it because it took most of the company's resources to keep it running rather than on making quality games which showed with the dismal releases of Galactic Civilization 3 and Fallen Enchantress.

#4457056 - 01/12/19 09:04 PM Re: The division 2 dumped steam for epic store [Re: Blade_RJ]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
From what I heard some of the new titles on EPIC store run without the launcher active. Meaning, basically DRM free - you can even copy the files to a different PC.

I'm okay with using a store client only for purchase and initial download. Everything else, let's be honest, there are ways around requiring the client.

#4457061 - 01/12/19 09:33 PM Re: The division 2 dumped steam for epic store [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
Chucky Offline
Veteran
Chucky  Offline
Veteran

UK
Originally Posted by RSColonel_131st
From what I heard some of the new titles on EPIC store run without the launcher active. Meaning, basically DRM free - you can even copy the files to a different PC.

What Remains of Edith Finch is one of them.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#4457133 - 01/13/19 03:18 PM Re: The division 2 dumped steam for epic store [Re: Blade_RJ]  
Blade_RJ Offline
Simhq Weather man, dropping rain in your parade
Blade_RJ  Offline
Simhq Weather man, dropping rain in your parade
Hotshot

brasil
i don't care about half life 3 at all, i just want epsisode 3, how hard was to follow on that......
but screw half life, the game is what almost 15 years old now, give me more left 4 dead and new ips. give me a left 4 dead but with dinossaurs, like that old game on steam.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.