Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4455943 - 01/03/19 05:58 PM WINGS OVER FLANDERS FIELDS  
malcolmgeneral2 Offline
malcolmgeneral2  Offline

London
To start: Wonderful sim - pro single player, hugely immersive, 80 planes and four air forces, campaign option - well done OBD

But no sim is 100 percent perfect and I had a few thoughts and would appreciate any comments:

1) As a mediocre pilot I opted for the training on BE2c at Sutton farm and was bit taken aback by having my first flight take place in the dark!? The sim does allow for night flying as airfields are lit but new pilots always flew in daylight in reasonable conditions. The 3rd flight was also at night and so i opted for "Airman auto pilot" to see me through these missions! On arrival at the front my first mission was set at night in the face of a snowstorm! agh! (I see weather conditions can be changed before each single mission but time of flight very limited or not at all. There is a settings clock that allows one to move three hours back or forwards but can lead one flying at dusk into the night!? Needless to add I called on airman auto pilot but even he couldn't managed and he crashed my plane and killed me - so i lost that particular 'career'

2) when on a mission in a campaign I find that if I use the TAC and map options and follow the set out route to and from the target I very soon lose my leader and wingmen? If I follow as i should my leader there seems to be much time spent going round in circles on setting out and over the target area?. Now this maybe because the Leader is coordinating his flight on takeoff and being sure to remain for the allotted time in the target area as per the mission instructions but one does seem to fly very long ways off the map route on most missions - ?

3) As I said im a mediocre pilot and have yet to 'down a hun' despite having my settings as strongest guns and medium flight characteristics. I recently got on the tail of an obvious rookie German pilot who flew straight and level for some 20 seconds whilst I blasted away with my 303 Lewis gun but he eventually turned away completely unscathed - hmm. Now i know pilots had to get within 50 yards or so of their target to be effective so maybe this is my issue - I got to within 80 yards which seemed v close!

But still learning and maybe I have some things wrong here. any thoughts/advice much appreciated. Malcolm Furneaux

Last edited by Polovski; 01/04/19 01:50 PM. Reason: Added "S" to the end of the subject, aaaaarg

MW Furneaux
#4455948 - 01/03/19 07:05 PM Re: WINGS OVER FLANDERS FIELD [Re: malcolmgeneral2]  
JJJ65 Online cool
JJJ65  Online Cool

Czech Rep.
1) Try Mission Editor
2) Try Mission Editor
3) On very hard settings the gun fire is rather "noisy" (what is the proper English word?), i.e. not concentrated to one (aiming) point

#4455960 - 01/03/19 08:18 PM Re: WINGS OVER FLANDERS FIELD [Re: malcolmgeneral2]  
77_Scout Offline
77_Scout  Offline

Vancouver Island, Canada
2) So one solution is to stop using the TAC and map. Follow your flight like a real pilot would have done.

If you get bored of the leaders 'circling up to height' maneuver after takeoff, just hit Shift-w (next waypoint) and he will head off directly on the mission.

#4455966 - 01/03/19 09:04 PM Re: WINGS OVER FLANDERS FIELD [Re: JJJ65]  
Ace_Pilto Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber
Ace_Pilto  Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber

Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
Originally Posted by JJJ65
1) Try Mission Editor
2) Try Mission Editor
3) On very hard settings the gun fire is rather "noisy" (what is the proper English word?), i.e. not concentrated to one (aiming) point

"Scattered" would work.

Let's pretend I got the BWOC badge to embed here.

Wenn ihr sieg im deine Kampf selbst gegen, wirst stark wie Stahl sein.
"The best techniques are passed on by the survivors." - Gaiden Shinji
#4456006 - 01/04/19 02:08 AM Re: WINGS OVER FLANDERS FIELD [Re: malcolmgeneral2]  
ARUP Offline
ARUP  Offline

Kentucky
1) and 2) Mission Editor or change the time to depart. I don't care for those 4 AM flights. You can't see anything but the AI can 'see' you! It's lopsided because of that so I do the workaround as mentioned.

3) My guys never shoot until within 50 meters or less. You can hear the enemy groan when taking the hits. Moribid... yes. Effective...YES. Difficult... absolutely!!! But you save ammo that way and are almost guaranteed a victory. [I never go after two seaters. They are too good and you will get killed]. A good way to practice this is 'orbit' low near a known 'busy' enemy airfield staying as close to the front as possible (you learn where to go after time!) and wait for the enemy to return home. They will circle their field descending all the while then break off in single file on downwind leg. That's when you move into position. If you time it just right you can sneak into the pattern as they turn onto final then blast the crap out of one before the others get involved. You have to hit the targeted bird hard so that he can't efficiently fight back. Then break away from there toward the lines. The AI will make an attempt to come after you but will quit when you are near the front. Then you might get a chance to go back for more. I've gotten four machines at a time this way!

#4456040 - 01/04/19 12:50 PM Re: WINGS OVER FLANDERS FIELD [Re: malcolmgeneral2]  
OldHat Offline
OldHat  Offline

Welcome to WOFF community.

My advice is you must learn to walk before you can run. Although the default training is handy, you really should train the way it was done at that time. I recommend you fly with realistic flight model / daytime / clear weather, then, you can either use mission editor or set up a quick combat mission (without enemies) and follow this guide for training. Ideally, you should complete at least 20 or more hours of training. I don't recommend you use autopilot or time compression so that you can get a feel for the flight dynamics.

Once you've completed the training, set up a "turkey shoot" in quick combat to practice with you favorite aircraft against an enemy. Once you've mastered the basic concepts of flight and combat, then you'll be ready for whatever WOFF throws at you.

#4456044 - 01/04/19 01:54 PM Re: WINGS OVER FLANDERS FIELD [Re: malcolmgeneral2]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Most missions aren't in the dark, there's some randomness and depends on time of year you join etc. Try joining in spring or summer.

No idea what that is about, but AI need to circle to A) form up and B) climb to mission altitude usually. Not sure why you lost your flight, try to get close up early on and stick to them like glue. Formation flying is definiately not easy.
but keep your mixture set correctly to give you enough power
The AI is very smart but as you can imagine it's incredibly complex to program well. We think it's the best AI out there, but of course there is room for improvement in all things.

Get in close. Get in close. Get close.

Aim for pilot, engine.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4456094 - 01/04/19 10:11 PM Re: WINGS OVER FLANDERS FIELD [Re: malcolmgeneral2]  
Ace_Pilto Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber
Ace_Pilto  Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber

Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
80 yards is a good range to open fire from. Keep closing in from there and you might even get a few hits. (Just don't end up parking in his tail section)

Let's pretend I got the BWOC badge to embed here.

Wenn ihr sieg im deine Kampf selbst gegen, wirst stark wie Stahl sein.
"The best techniques are passed on by the survivors." - Gaiden Shinji
#4456173 - 01/05/19 06:22 PM Re: WINGS OVER FLANDERS FIELD [Re: Polovski]  
malcolmgeneral2 Offline
malcolmgeneral2  Offline

London
Thanks Pilto - need to keep trying to gain experience as others have suggested and not only the turning fight but with the Spads and SE5s the boom and zoom has to be the better tactics.

Now I may be being deeply stupid (first time on site like Sim HQ) but I only seem to get sent to you when i click on 'reply' in each of the boxes - cant see how to reply to other s who have kindly posted to me. could u possibly advise me?

Regards,

Malcolm Furneaux

MW Furneaux
#4456185 - 01/05/19 07:16 PM Re: WINGS OVER FLANDERS FIELD [Re: malcolmgeneral2]  
malcolmgeneral2 Offline
malcolmgeneral2  Offline

London
yes rather stupid! click on name drop down menu and post to the poster - ahh. thanks.

Malcolm Furneaux

MW Furneaux
#4456187 - 01/05/19 07:40 PM Re: WINGS OVER FLANDERS FIELD [Re: malcolmgeneral2]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

It's best to just click "reply" button on any of the replies, then it will post it in the thread below. Otherwise you send private messages using the othe rmethod you mention, and others cannot read those.

You can also use "quote" button to reply specifically to a comment someone made

Last edited by Polovski; 01/05/19 07:42 PM.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4456189 - 01/05/19 07:43 PM Re: WINGS OVER FLANDERS FIELD [Re: malcolmgeneral2]  
malcolmgeneral2 Offline
malcolmgeneral2  Offline

London
thanks - got that and thanks to all people who replied to my first post here!

Malcolm Furneaux

MW Furneaux
#4456364 - 01/07/19 12:12 AM Re: WINGS OVER FLANDERS FIELD [Re: malcolmgeneral2]  
Waldemar_Kurtz Offline
Waldemar_Kurtz  Offline

don't feel too bad... I think I flew twenty sorties in Quick Combat before I was really able to shoot anything down. and this was having flown earlier versions of OFF before the big upgrade to WOFF UE. I set up a Turkey Shoot mission with a ton of BE2c with the rifle armed observer and gave myself and Albatros DVa. I put the settings on pilot never dies and just practiced shooting up basically defenseless two-seaters until I ran out of ammo. after I did a few of those I then switched over to one-vs-one fighter combat with the element of surprise and altitude in my favor. it still took a long time before I was able to successfully shoot something down.

fortunately, since I have thousands of flight-sim hours, it only took a month or so before I really started to get the knack for shooting down enemy machines. but then there was the trick of learning how to file claims with the right names and all that.

I enjoy the AI. overall it's quite good - I have it on the more historical settings instead of always having the AI fight to the death every single time. they'll still fight pretty tenaciously for up to ten minutes or so depending on the pilot. it's also better for campaign settings. if you want the AI to never stop fighting save that for Quick Combat where it's a useful training tool. but in campaign missions it doesn't really make sense for a German pilot to chase you 10 miles into Allied territory! so I don't use the AI never gives up feature there.

play around with the settings and see what works best for you... of course. and have fun.

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans