Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4455587 - 01/01/19 01:15 AM Installing SB from oiginal CD Help needed  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

Posted this in "Steel Beasts" web site, but no replies as yet, so trying here:

I'd love to get this old-timer working on my Win 7 x64 system, bit I'm running into problems. Version of the Steel Beasts game appears to be V1.15.

The intro/splash screen plays through, but then the computer comes up with the message "d3drm.dll is missing". A further message is that "No Solutions Found for Exclusive Mode Video Playback Sample Application"

I have done some searching and found what is purported to be a d3drm zip file, which, when unzipped gives a d3drm.dll file and a text which is of no use to me. So, the question is where do I go from this point?

I realize the folks running this site are running a business which sells vastly updated versions of this game. It would be a kindness to help me out, though, and I would be much obliged if they would see fit to help, if possible. In any event, thanks for reading."

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4455591 - 01/01/19 01:37 AM Re: Installing SB from oiginal CD Help needed [Re: RIBob]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
Well, I replied there, no need to repeat myself here.

I should probably add that I do definitely not recommend trying to download missing DLLs from "places on the internet". You could just as well voluntarily install viruses directly. A DLL has almost the same powers as an executable program (except that it needs an EXE to call it in the first place; from that point on however if can do whatever it wants, to the extent that the operating system lets it do what it wants).

Visit the home of Steel Beasts!
...the ultimate armor sim...
#4455594 - 01/01/19 01:53 AM Re: Installing SB from oiginal CD Help needed [Re: Ssnake]  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

Originally Posted by Ssnake
Well, I replied there, no need to repeat myself here.

I should probably add that I do definitely not recommend trying to download missing DLLs from "places on the internet". You could just as well voluntarily install viruses directly. A DLL has almost the same powers as an executable program (except that it needs an EXE to call it in the first place; from that point on however if can do whatever it wants, to the extent that the operating system lets it do what it wants).

Thanks: I scanned the zipped file a couple of different ways before tinkering with it. Much obliged for your informed comments on the SB site. For reasons stated there, looks like it's VM time. Thanks again for your help.

#4455617 - 01/01/19 09:26 AM Re: Installing SB from oiginal CD Help needed [Re: RIBob]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
Originally Posted by RIBob
Thanks: I scanned the zipped file a couple of different ways before tinkering with it.

Using different AV scanners is the absolute minimum amount of protection to downgrade the action from "suicidally reckless" to "pretty risky". I don't want to engage in fear mongering, it's just that running someone else's DLL requires a leap of faith that is orders of magnitude bigger than installing a software that you bought. There, you have at least the legal framework to sue for compensation if the vendor of the software violates your rights. "Someone" uploading a DLL to "some site" in order to "help people" could just as well be a nefarious scheme to install a backdoor on your computer, and there is practically zero risk involved for the perpetrator. He has no reputation to defend, he cannot be easily found (and even if you do, he's probably residing in a foreign country).

The majority of people probably mean no ill, but there are some who have a vested interest in cyber-criminal behavior who target private computer owners. They have the resources to seed poinson pills into web sites that are nominally made for the purpose of hosting software packages that may otherwise be hard to find. I'm just advocating for a realistic perspective of the massively divergent risk-reward ratios for uploaders and downloaders; downloaders are already psychologically vulnerable (they have a problem, and the file promises a solution).

Visit the home of Steel Beasts!
...the ultimate armor sim...

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.