Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#4452556 - 12/09/18 07:00 PM Re: It's that Laphroaig time of year [Re: letterboy1]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Ice Cold in Alex or Eating in ...
Not that fond of Whisky, for spirits I prefer rum and dark rum at that, or if it is summer then a nice gin and tonic.
For sipping and enjoying I love a good vintage port and my favourite is Dow's 1966 but that is very difficult to get a hold of now, and to think the last case I bought was priced at £26 per bottle. It is one of the better ones I have tasted.
https://www.vintageportshop.co.uk/products/Dow-Vintage-Port-1966-5

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4452559 - 12/09/18 07:30 PM Re: It's that Laphroaig time of year [Re: letterboy1]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
I'll be the cheap bastage uncultured 'merican here. woot

I don't drink for the flavor nor to get drunk, I mostly drink for the nice buzz (not quite drunk).

And I drink cheap, $18.99 vs. $45.95 (same size bottle) for what to me taste the same (sampling back-to-back shots)...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I'm glad I don't enjoy booze more than I do, helps keep me in check. smile

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#4452568 - 12/09/18 08:56 PM Re: It's that Laphroaig time of year [Re: letterboy1]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
Interesting.

I got a bottle of that stuff for my birthday two years ago, and have slowly (as in - not half the bottle yet) been enjoying it. I had no idea until reading this thread that this had been such a pricey present!

Figures... the girl who gave it to me, I really under-appreciated her various qualities. Ah well... can't make up that mistake anymore.

#4452570 - 12/09/18 09:28 PM Re: It's that Laphroaig time of year [Re: No105_Archie]  
462cid Offline
462cid  Offline

USA
Originally Posted by No105_Archie
Also IMO age is not necessarily indicative of what you will like. My favourite brands has older and more rare varieties but I prefer the 10 and 12 year old.

Agree. But the folks who make it seem to feel it is indicative of what you'll pay. wink

Originally Posted by MarkG

I don't drink for the flavor nor to get drunk, I mostly drink for the nice buzz (not quite drunk).

And I drink cheap, $18.99 vs. $45.95 (same size bottle) for what to me taste the same (sampling back-to-back shots)...

"Shot to shot" is not the way to compare whiskies at all, on several levels...doesn't take culture, your taste buds can't tell the difference becasue it's impossible using your method.

A connoisseur you ain't, brother. Stick to what's on sale is my advice.

What kind of car is that? What does it matter? When I drive it, I'm Steve McQueen
#4452609 - 12/10/18 05:16 AM Re: It's that Laphroaig time of year [Re: letterboy1]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Hey, hey, now, I've read the reviews of Kirkland Canadian Whiskey from some snooty types, and it shocked each of them with how good it is.

Basically, it's Crown Royal that's been re-branded. So it's in that whole Canadian blended whiskey range of Canadian Club.

Pretty decent, can mix (if that's what one wants) and very shootable.

My palate isn't good enough to really tell the difference between Johnny Walker Black and Blue, to be honest, or at least not enough to justify the cost. The difference between the Red and the Black is, though.

I'll disagree that shot-for-shot is an invalid comparison. Lining up different whiskeys and trying them side by side is really the only way to tell. Granted, shooting them isn't; one has to sip them to tell the difference. But any whiskey that takes a ritual to drink is far too high class for me.

Last edited by Dart; 12/10/18 05:19 AM.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#4452671 - 12/10/18 03:41 PM Re: It's that Laphroaig time of year [Re: 462cid]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Originally Posted by 462cid
Originally Posted by MarkG

"Shot to shot" is not the way to compare whiskies at all, on several levels...doesn't take culture, your taste buds can't tell the difference becasue it's impossible using your method.

A connoisseur you ain't, brother. Stick to what's on sale is my advice.

No, I'm not. But that's pretty much what I was saying...I think.

And not on sale, that's Costco's regular price. smile Same with their Grey Goose knockoff next to it (from the French makers of Grey Goose).

The sun is in the east
#4452673 - 12/10/18 03:48 PM Re: It's that Laphroaig time of year [Re: Dart]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Originally Posted by Dart
Hey, hey, now, I've read the reviews of Kirkland Canadian Whiskey from some snooty types, and it shocked each of them with how good it is.

Basically, it's Crown Royal that's been re-branded. So it's in that whole Canadian blended whiskey range of Canadian Club.

Yup. I read somewhere that Crown Royal doesn't age the Costco Kirkland brand as long (bottle says 6 years, regular CR is 8 - 10?).

And of course, you don't get the cool little bag. I used to have a container full but gave most of them away...

[Linked Image]

The sun is in the east
#4452900 - 12/11/18 09:40 PM Re: It's that Laphroaig time of year [Re: Dart]  
462cid Offline
462cid  Offline

USA
Originally Posted by Dart

Pretty decent, can mix (if that's what one wants) and very shootable.

My palate isn't good enough to really tell the difference between Johnny Walker Black and Blue, to be honest, or at least not enough to justify the cost. The difference between the Red and the Black is, though.

I'll disagree that shot-for-shot is an invalid comparison. Lining up different whiskeys and trying them side by side is really the only way to tell. Granted, shooting them isn't; one has to sip them to tell the difference. But any whiskey that takes a ritual to drink is far too high class for me.

Was this for me? I already stated I'm not a whiskey snob, but I'm not going to then agree that because I think you can like it any way you like and any brand you like, that crap whiskey is "good" whiskey! Enjoy what you enjoy but that doesn't sell me on crap being quality, lol. It just means that you like the taste of low quality goods and if that's your palate, go for it. Have at it. But if you enjoy it for more than the effect it has, you start to learn about it, which means that there's right and wrong ways to compare. That's not really open for opinions- the palate can only reasonably tell the difference in certain conditions. Sorry, that's how the body works. Snobbery plays no part.

"Shot to shot" is an incredibly poor way to compare whiskeys. Firstly, as I said before, your palate is ruined doing that.

If you want to compare whiskey, you never do "shots" if an actual meaningful comparison is the goal, and you clear your palate between each type. You're going to be comparing only three or four types, max, per session, if you do any actual drinking of the whiskey at all.

As you learn your palate, you'll take 15 or 20 minutes to form an opinion of the whiskey...unless it's pond water whiskey.

I don't know what is 'ritual' about any of that. The only ritual I'm aware of is putting a glass to your lips.

What kind of car is that? What does it matter? When I drive it, I'm Steve McQueen
#4452905 - 12/11/18 11:01 PM Re: It's that Laphroaig time of year [Re: letterboy1]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Unfortunately, the palate declines with age (starting at 40 according to this article)...

https://www.bonappetit.com/entertaining-style/trends-news/article/sense-of-taste-changes-aging

Also, your dental hygiene can make a difference.

The sun is in the east
#4452943 - 12/12/18 07:14 AM Re: It's that Laphroaig time of year [Re: letterboy1]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Cid, only part of that was meant for you!

I was referring to "snooty" reviewers - the type who insist on cooling their whisky with only the finest of authentic Scottish stones, diluted with the best of branch water. smile

I was also referring to whisky shots by volume, not by drinking. Shooting whiskey is boorish behavior (which I am not above). I agree that tasting different whiskeys takes time as well; but having several different types in one long sitting is the best way I've found to compare.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#4452961 - 12/12/18 11:00 AM Re: It's that Laphroaig time of year [Re: letterboy1]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Ice Cold in Alex or Eating in ...
This is what we got for my son's 40th birthday last year, Invergordon Sovereign single malt, it was distilled the year he was born and bottled the year of his 40th birthday.

[Linked Image]

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.