Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 577 of 608 1 2 575 576 577 578 579 607 608
#4450800 - 11/27/18 08:34 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) **** [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Online cool
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Online Cool
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Missed me?!

Sure you did. winkngrin

We've gone to full blown Arctic cold here with temperatures below freezing C during night and barely above during the day. Add to that a stiff easterly breeze and the wind-chill factor makes it fell like freezing yet again. As someone noted regarding the Finns; they have black Friday every Friday, about five months of the year. Well certainly black Friday in Denmark this year was indeed black and dark. So was the whole weekend. I did manage an outdoor ride Sunday though. My toes were so cold when I got home I thought they were going to fall off. Luckily for me they warmed up again and are all still present, correct and accounted for. I'm glad I got a trainer for the bike for indoor use last year as I really don't fancy riding outdoors in these temperatures. although the sun was out today, in shadow it is still "brrrrrrrrrrrr".

I didn't escape the occasional cold. Quite a few have been hit but after a fortnight I was reasonably OK again.

Your calories calculation is very interesting Roger. Measuring the stats for today's indoor effort, my Garmin device recorded my burn as 903 cal. during the 1:43:48 ride so I am closer to the 231 cal. per half-hour than 374. I'm almost 158 ponds and just about 6 feet tall. What I found from some sources and from empirical evidence and experimentation, I'd have burnt more calories had I been outdoors in the cold since the low temperatures would have forced my body to burn off more calories to generate heat. Being fairly fit I think I have difficulty burning calories at the same rate I did when I was less fit, and when I was weighing more. No, there is not a lot of fat on me any more. It is quite satisfying to observe my muscles and tendons when in various yoga poses. As I am trained in muscle and tissue massage I can't help being a little bit proud at the results of a total of 21k km of cycling during these last three or four years.

Most of the energy spent is replaced with preparing and enjoying Italian and Indian food a glass or two of wine.. readytoeat

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4451094 - 11/30/18 12:58 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

MG:

It is nice to have you back. Of course we missed you..... you left with the key to the HWH men's room in your pocket. Kindly return it to LeeRoy. We're tired of crawling in by the window... sometimes too late.

We've had temps at night down into the mid 20's F. No snow or ice of course. I'm glad you've managed a bit of outside pedaling without losing any digits. Or being struck down by the dreaded frozen air in one's tires. I've heard that is a wintertime scourge sometimes afflicting Danish bikers.

I made myself a nice garlicky dish of spaghetti with homemade Marinara sauce for lunch today. I'm not much on Indian cuisine. No Indian restaurants within at least 50 miles of here. Someone told me he ate at an Indian restaurant on the west coast and what he put in his mouth felt like putting a red hot rock in there.

From the looks of a recipe I have, I think I might like tandoori chicken. That is if I had the proper oven and spice mix. I think it would be delicious but maybe too spicy for me unless I went easy on the hot stuff. I like Thai food so maybe not. ride.

A nice Indian dish seems like a wonderful and tasty way to thaw out after coming in from a cold ride through the falling snow.

Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019
#4451331 - 12/01/18 04:31 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

We had a reasonably warm day yesterday with sprinkles off and on. Today is mostly sunny with more sprinkles possible later on. Currently, the temp at 10:50 AM is 53° F. / 11 C. No, LeRoy, if that were Celsius then it would be around 127°F. A bit warm for the first day of December I think.

Forgive this blatant expression of grandfatherly pride among friends. I was fortunate yesterday to be able to watch my step-grandson and several hundred other recruits graduate from Great Lakes Naval Boot Camp. The ceremony was viewable live on YouTube.

I was much impressed how well these young men and women performed after just 8 weeks of training. My young man received commendation for shooting and something else in academics I do not remember. His mom (there for the ceremony) sent me a photo of him in his dress blues proudly wearing the ribbons. He actually told me on the phone today that boot camp was easier than he had anticipated.

That ceremony required a lot of marching about and band playing of inspiring martial music. Marches mostly written and scored by Mr. Sousa. Martial music well played has always inspired me and it did yesterday. There was a lot of that music played as those young people went from Naval Recruits to sailors.

It was enough to make me (almost) want to enlist myself. My own dad was a Merchant Marine captain and thus I was entitled to a free ride, I came so very close to going to the MM Academy myself. My life would have been entirely different if I had.

We hope our new sailor will be home for Christmas. As I outrank him (I'm a civilian) I'm expecting a smart salute.

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019
#4451345 - 12/01/18 05:18 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Gentlemenses,

Good day all. Crappy weather today. 68F with overcast skies giving periods of very light rain. Not enough rain to do good, but enough to make for a dreary day.

JRT, congratulations to him. Achievement is always such an uplifting thing. Not just for him, but for those who know and love him.

I am always moved by marching martial music. Heard a lot. I got to know the music and calls we’ll enough 5hat I could drift off to near sleep during ceremonies and know when to come out of it.

McG, I don’t have a lot of background knowledge, but it seems your are quite the cyclist. That was something that I never retained after my youth. At 17 I was fully committed to internal combustion engines in cars or motorcycles. Did so much physical activity in the Army that I didn’t want anything more. Give it throttle !

Been doing a lot of flying. Some in weather that was challenging.

Right now I am bothered about an expensive scope I have. It is an IOR Valdada which is a high end scope. A year ago it failed on me an the company says that the action of a heavy semi-automatic with the rear and then forward actions was the cause. I thought it was a poor response. But they replaced it and I now have it on a bolt action rifle. Last outing, it would not hold consistent strike. I am going to take it and give it another go to make sure that it isn’t ammo or shooter problem. I will be very disappointed if it is another failed scope. It shouldn’t weigh as heavily on my mind as it does, but because of my background it irks me.

For those celebrate it, I hope you had a blessed Thanksgiving. Ours was good, but had a little bit of drama in the family caused by one of the nephews. Long story, but he is getting under the skin of a lot of people. He has drifted into the “loser” category and it is dragging others in because of attempts to help him.

Not much else to contribute.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4451371 - 12/01/18 08:13 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Online cool
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Online Cool
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

Indubitably you'll be aware that today is Dec. 1st. Why it literally seems like only a few months back I was at the beach and being cooked well and truly on the outside as well as on the inside, even when larking happily about in the water at the seaside. I would pop on my bike and it would be light until 11 pm. Now the day part of the 24 hour cycle, the part where the sun is actually in the sky, even though it is not visible due to 10/10ths overcast has reduced with more than 10 hours and we'll be coming up on equinox around 21st. Then, the hours with daylight will start increasing again.

Congrats on the young man who is preparing to become a sailor, Roger. 8 weeks is quite a short time but I am convince the the instructors and drill sergeants did their very best to make every second count!

It is not quite freezing here but with just 4 C I have grown a bit lazy and have preferred the indoor bicycle trainer to the outdoors. Following the training programmes that are available on various apps ensure that I get a good workout.

Oldgrognard, as a kid and youngster I rode a bike everywhere, never graduating to scooters or the small motorbikes my friends rode on before becoming 18, the age were we could get a driver's license. But with the ownership of a car, the bike riding gradually stopped. It wasn't a problem while I was doing National Service as we got a lot of physical exercise and as a young and then more mature person it wasn't a problem maintaining a decent weight. Aerobic classes and yoga certainly helped burn a few calories for a number of years but somehow, at a certain age I found I needed to revisit the bike. I never was interested in the bike sport, and neither am I today, so when I picked up riding again, it was almost like learning all anew how to ride it. One never forgets how to ride a bike but, I had become rusty and lost a lot of routine. That routine is back now, and I can even manage riding on the road a few yards with hands removed from the handlebar.

I never enjoyed running and to this day will not jog. I tell everyone it is because when at school, when we were unruly, noisy and up to no good, we were forced to jog in circles in the gym. when we weren't doing laps in the gym we were jogging to the outdoor sports facilities and spent gym classes playing football. I never liked football. It involves a lot of jogging. Jogging is not for me so I had to figure it out for myself what sort of activities I enjoyed and could motivate myself doing.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4451487 - 12/02/18 07:02 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Another dreary looking day unseasonably warm for December. The average high is 55° F. Current temp is 67°F. The record high is 80° F. in 1998. The recorded low 05° in 1989. Quite a spread. There is a flood warning in affect and rain is on the way from the south. We are not in an area that floods.

Thanks very much guys. His congratulations are welcome and well deserved.

Jens, we are too far south to be troubled with long days of dark here. Yet the days do grow noticeably shorter the closer we get to the midwinter solstice. The sun will officially set at 4:59 PM today. It rose this morning at 7:04 AM.

OG, I'm glad you are flying these days. My son is looking for another scope for his .308 Remington Woodsmaster. It has a inexpensive Tasco scope on it. I don't think price is a real consideration. He has a better and more powerful rifle (Win Mag) with a mid range priced scope as well. For some reason (possibly recoil) he hunts mostly with the .308.

Too bad he does, this year he has mostly been presented with best targets close to or exceeding 400 yards. The best was a ten pointer, the worst an 8. He was called out by a friend in DOT one morning this past week to end the suffering of a young nubbin buck that had been struck by a car but not killed. It was standing it's ground beside the road in grievous pain but unable to walk. My boy did end his suffering with the .308 but did not much like the necessary job. The meat will not go to waste. It will be distributed to the needy.

The turkey is finally gone from our table. Only the bones remained yesterday. They'll be used for stock. Turkey is a gift that keeps right on giving. I hope that you and yours had a Thanksgiving to remember and that you enjoy the many treasures of this holly day season both physical and especially those of the heart.

I wish that for everyone and their family who come here past, present and future. It is, as Jens observed, December. HAPPY HOLIDAYS🎄🎁

#4451504 - 12/02/18 10:25 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all,

Apparently I am behind the eight ball, consuming without contributing.
Congratulation to the young sailor and family. May he be proud.

The end of the year and the attending bustle is upon us. We will probably miss the granddaughter's engagement party.
Seeing it will be held in upstate NY just before Christmas makes it tough to travel to it.
We'll have to hold a Southern version of it at another convenient time.
The lad she favors is in the army and their time does seem limited.

Glad you guys are staying in shape. I am envious, but only I can change that.
It is shameful to be going from being embarrassed by thick leg muscles from biking and playing soccer to flabby contours that barely make it past 15 minutes on a treadmill for now.

Was wondering how much instrument time was being accrued in Florida by OG. Seems like the weather forecast did not depict much sunshine.

#4451641 - 12/03/18 06:32 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

A rather warm and breezy day here today. the skies are partly sunny. The temp, at 1:30 PM, is 69° F. with a possible high of 70° F. It is getting even warmer inside the house. I may open a few windows.

Fittop:

Too bad about missing the engagement party. Congrats to you and the happy couple. Secretly, I have usually found the southern version of just about anything but Christmas snow to be better. winkngrin

#4451846 - 12/04/18 05:58 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

We're on that southern weather roller coaster again. We saw the 70's for highs yesterday. The 50's for highs today, and by Sunday there is a good chance of snow predicted.

When we have warmer weather in December we usually have to pay for it soon after with deeper cold. I like cold so bring it on... well until it is inconvenient that is.

I downloaded Firefox's free YouTube downloader extension today. I did that so I could downloads my grandson's Boot Camp Graduation ceremony MP4 from YouTube. It worked great. I could not find a comparable extension for Chrome. If you know of one LMK.

#4451948 - 12/05/18 03:14 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all,

Running out of time for the Christmas shopping and perhaps setting up the decorations may be a national sport.
That may be one that we do participate in.
We did make a Christmas party last weekend but will pass on one this weekend.
The weather roller coaster is active here also and today may be the last shot at gathering fallen leaves before rain and cold returns.

Hints of ice are mentioned, which makes driving in these parts another sporting event.

Somewhere in the last twenty years those brighter sodium street lights went out of vogue and were replaced by lower intensity lights which apparently cost less but provide less road illumination.
Coupled that with some sharply bright car lights, older eyes and aging infrastructure in which road markings and conditions are not fixed or replaced as often and the "Texas dumb+*&k dance" becomes a bumper-car affair and a forced introduction to folks you really didn't want meet. -At least not in a cold day by the roadside.

OK, it isn't just here that folks turn right from the inside lane, in traffic.
We can all get distracted and the population here has increased by some fifty percent. Road capacity can not keep pace.

Construction signs clog every thoroughfare and there is one intersection by a shopping center I avoid because there are so many road marking visible one routinely sees a stopped car facing the wrong traffic lane.

I think I am just missing single days when I could take a couple of weeks off in this season and avoid the Christmas rush by hitting that little beach and sipping a cold drink under a palm tree.

As the colonel used to say: "You all be careful out there, that ain't friendly country there."

#4451970 - 12/05/18 06:51 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

It was a chilly 39°F. when I heard the cat alarm clock go off. She's skipped a couple months of heat this fall and started back again in December. No, I have no idea why. It must have something to do with feline gestation. There are always a lot of March kittens it seems. Mercifully he opera singing was milder than it usually is. Ooops. I have to be careful what I type.... she's sitting on the desk watching me.

There was snow falling this morning up in South Hill, Va. That's up near the Va border with NC and not all that far from us. I saw no snow. I believe we missed it. The family is back. The last time I took the doggies out the sky looked like it was filled with snow clouds and that was Tuesday. Sadly folks, even farmers have lost the ability to read the sky, or it seems so. WE may get some flurries here today but the ground temp is over 40°F. so nothing is gonna stick.

Remember when we consulted the Almanac? Now we watch some highly educated fellow in a Camera friendly suit and tie translate it all for us sometimes reminding us near the end that his forecast has a 50-50 chance of being somewhere in the ballpark of what he just said. Fortunately for us, WRAL TV has an excellent meteorological team headed by Greg Fishel a long time server in the weather Ouija Board field. He is good at what he does and is rumored to be likely to haul in a million bucks for his trouble.

I kid a lot about weather men and women but if Greg said it was raining $50 dollar bills I'd at lest get my grandchild's fishing net and go outside.

Fittop:

Bump cars are fine at the state fair but on the road, not so much. There is no other sensation quite like slithering out of control on an icy street with the steering wheel useless and the breaks worthless at best and deadly at worst. It's like some of the nightmares I've had.

Spinning out of control in front of an on coming propane truck that is also out of control is terrifying. It can be reason to cause your ill spent life to pass right before your eyes. Especially when you see the driver of the truck bail out into a protective snowbank. Happened to me once...in a dream. Heck, I have no business driving on ice, I never even learned to ice skate.

Fittop:
You are right about those street lights and eroded road stripes. If it is dark and raining too, I cannot see where the road is or isn't. Luckily, I have a workaround for that. It is something I learned from my wife, a world class defensive driver if there ever was one. She used to use this trick anytime she met an oncoming motorist on a very narrow bridge. She just held the wheel steady, closed her eyes shut tight, and pressed the accelerator down a bit...... 🚗🚚

Disclaimer: I do not recommend this workaround for obvious reasons unless you happen to be a professional dare devil stunt driver with an overpowering death wish. No, LeRoy, I am neither and love life but my experten wife taught me the trick. Unless she taught you too I cannot vouch for this particular workaround.

You think you are a good driver? You won't have an accident you think. Friends, you are only as safe as the worst driver you may meet on the road. Don't worry unless you live in NC. I never drive out of state anymore.

After over 60 years of driving in our state, I am firmly convinced that intelligence, good judgement or good temperament are not included in the criterion for a driving licence in NC. Probably it is the same where you live, Fittop?

Hmmmm. The clouds seem to be lifting. Maybe the chance for flakes is over for us? Could be that Virginia's generous taxpayers put more money into their government's snow removal account that our's did? ❄☃

Last edited by Jolly Roger Two; 12/05/18 06:54 PM. Reason: Unidentified fauna clearly identified

#4451984 - 12/05/18 08:38 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks.

THE ANNIVERSARY OF 21ST AMENDMENT IS TODAY.
I'll drink to that.

If you’re planning to raise a glass to the 85th anniversary of the end of Prohibition, set your clock now: it was at 5:32 p.m. ET on Dec. 5, 1933, that Utah became the 36th state to ratify the 21st Amendment .

We can all drink safely and I hope in moderation in the US without fear of going to jail for it. However, beware, there are plenty of things we can get into trouble for doing. If we put our befuddled minds to it after drinking if we over indulge.

So remember: If we over indulge...we might see a judge. winkngrin

#4452027 - 12/06/18 03:24 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all,

Thank you for raising my awareness, JRT. Had no idea of the time of the end of Prohibition. This last party we attended I didn't even touch the alcohol since I was driving and it was almost an hour to home. The advantage of a non-drinking, younger housemate usually comes in handy but does not reduce the content of the liquor cabinet faster.
It does make for a cheap date night though. winkngrin
It's also less fun drinking alone and I seem to usually stick to beer and wine.

It was a bit shocking to go to a liquor shop and see the prices compared to some ten years ago.

Almost mentioned when talking about the roads and traffic the gladness I felt when the in-road markings (again, pioneered in California as were the right-turn after stop during the first fuel crisis) showed up nation-wide and were easier to see in dark or rainy conditions.
They are getting worn in some places and not being kept up as well.

Yes, they were working on them in the seventies. -Probably earlier when the new paints came out for the road and street signs.

Who remembers the codes for the exit marks on the road? The three, two dots one dot posts to show when you can still get off the main road without rolling your cargo over in a foggy night?

New to me a few years ago were the rumble stripes in Washington and other West Coast roads in case you are not paying attention.
(I think that's in case the road is snow covered?)
My first Texas road impression were the wide lanes and folks pulling onto the side lanes on two lane roads to yield if someone was passing.

That and the red side to road markers if you were going to wrong way impressed me.
No officer, thankfully I have never done that...yet; but have seen them in the rear view mirror.
Yet amazingly every couple of months someone does exactly that on a limited entrance/exit and another head-on crash ruins a family's plans.
We may need to work on the "wrong-way entry signs some more.

May be talking out of turn, but it seems driving lessons and tests are somewhat stricter in Europe and other countries.
Neither do you see fifteen-year-olds driving that often there.
Of course, public transport availability might have a bearing there along with vehicle density.

I have also seen the almost-bump game if you're going too slow on the autobahn and the almost formation take-off from a green light along with the chiming of horns if you are the slow mover from that light.
(Could we adopt that here please? The formation take-off I mean...)

#4452115 - 12/06/18 04:47 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Snow, perhaps heavy in our mountains and parts west of Raleigh. Lighter amounts of snow likely here in the East as well. Not today but through the weekend. I won't be out and about probably until Tuesday or Wednesday next week.

There was a trace of snow in the west yesterday. Snow is becoming more frequent in NC. It wasn't frequent when I was in school. Not frequent enough.

A lot of freezing rain is expected to fall in parts of the state and that can bring down power lines and big limbs. That should be west of us....."should" being the active word.

The Weather Ouija Board crowd is still scratching their heads on this one. They'll have a clearer picture tomorrow. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if by Tuesday or Wednesday of next week they would be able to tell us with 100% accuracy what actually happened.

Fittop:

Yup they NEED better trained drivers at the speeds they drive on the Autobahn. No choice.You MUST drive fast there. Aren't there some non speed restricted roads out in Utah or somewhere in the low traffic and pedestrian deprived West? I'm pretty sure that was the case. Maybe not now. The Old West is filling up all over I guess. Those pesky people seem to squeeze themselves into just about anywhere. Everywhere you go there is at least one of them. winkngrin

#4452206 - 12/07/18 03:28 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all

We are supposed to be hunkering down for heavy rain.
Thankfully, Not Snow; -A word that the lady here considers to be a four letter word, -unlike her St Louis daughter who considers it to be a bride's veil.
My personal romance with snow ended the day I broke a screwdriver trying to change a car's parking light in a Maine winter.
I didn't realize until then I knew so many cuss words. That afternoon I also learned to work a little smarter.

There seems to be a snow train headed or already affecting the Carolinas.

Maybe I am throwing shade on my team when I think drivers in Europe seem better trained.
Maybe I just haven't been in Colorado, California or the Northeast enough the last few years to see most drivers competently coping with snow-filled and icy roads.
Do remember admiring their skill and hoping I was up to the task on those Colorado hills at night.
Now the tire chains remain as rusting souvenirs in the garage somewhere, still in that ammo box.
Nope, you can't have the ammo box.

Think you're right, JRT, Somewhere in Utah there's a no-speed limit area, or is it in Wyoming?

#4452309 - 12/07/18 09:13 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Fittop:
A snow train indeed. wink 🚂 ❄

3 to 10" of snow expected by late Sunday across 3 quarters of the state and rain for the rest. The problem is where to draw the lines between the sleet, freezing rain, snow and just rain. Those weather Ouija Boards are smoking. They'll know more tonight.

Those of us in the south where significant snow falls are less frequent and where that snow soon melts, do not easily acquire the skills needed to drive in certain conditions. Conditions like black ice and deep snow over ice are treacherous. Yet some folks seem to think they don't need any such skills because they bought a certain make and model of vehicle. Not so. Even the snowplow driver needs skill my friends. Especially when driving to his snowplow in his V W Beetle. I liked that commercial, do you remember it?

I cannot tell you how many times I've been driving when one of those foolish characters in a big SUV, once even in a yellow Humvee, have breezed past me on an icy road, only to be found in a ditch in less than a mile. What is needed here, no matter what vehicle you drive, is really skill, caution and common sense.

Since I have neither skill nor much sense, common or otherwise, I will stay home safe and warm this weekend. Even though you may only have to deal with rain, Fittop. May you be comfortable and warm as well wherever you may be Saturday and Sunday. So may it be for everyone.

#4452380 - 12/08/18 10:39 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Online cool
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Online Cool
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

The weather here today. Nuff said.

Attached Files Clipboard01.jpg

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4452414 - 12/08/18 03:41 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Four to eight inches of snow mow predicted overall starting tonight after midnight here and going into Monday. We are on the edge of the 4" accumulation of snow and the possible dusting. It is still apparently a toss up. There could also be a mix in our area. Freezing rain and ice in my mind is far worse than snow. Let us hope our power stays on through this winter storm.

MG:

Nuff said indeed. Looks like a very good day for Danish ducks to me.

I see you have retro fitted a car windshield to your bike. How is that working for you today? winkngrin

Little known facts and a bit of presidential trivia:
The late President, George W. Bush, received his flight training here in NC at UNC. That is where he met his wife Barbara.

I suppose it is time now for me to get out those previously seldom used blue prints for snowman construction. ☃

#4452443 - 12/08/18 08:17 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
Hello Chaps,

One of our local day trip fishing boats got wrecked last week after it had broken its moorings in the harbour and drawn out by a whirlpool tidal action at the mouth.

It sank after becoming overwhelmed by big waves which then rolled it up on to the beach. This was at about 10PM. So, the 30 foot Four Brothers which must have taken out many thousands of trippers over years is now no more. They salvaged what they could and then cut it in half before carting it off. sigh

A major concern was to prevent diesel spillage onto the beach. It took a good half-hour to dig the winch out.

http://SimHQ.com/forum/tmp/12649.jpg

http://SimHQ.com/forum/tmp/12650.jpg

http://SimHQ.com/forum/tmp/12651.jpg

Attached Files S2070019.JPGS2070015.JPGS2070016.JPG
Last edited by Old Dux; 12/08/18 08:19 PM.

'Find your enemy and shoot him down - everything else is unimportant.'

Manfred von Richtofen
---------------------------

#4452530 - 12/09/18 04:14 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Greetings from a Winter Wonderland with a lot of cars stuck in the middle, NC. We east of Raleigh were supposed to get rain and only a dusting of snow. Instead we got at least 6 inches. That is a lot for us. West of us, where my son works, they got 10 or more inches. He was on call this weekend so he just spent the night in Durham. At the moment, Durham (remember the film "Bull Durham") is in a pocket that is still getting a heavy mix of snow, rain, sleet and freezing rain.

Some areas have had over a foot of snow west of us. 170,000 homes and businesses have no power. More precipitation may be falling through the night and and into tomorrow. It will be extra slippery in the morning . Temps in the mid or low 20.s F. at night for the next two days will assure slippery conditions.

The current temp here is 32° F. where I am with hopes that temps will rise later on. Some areas have already switched to rain. The western mountains are still dealing with deep snow and heavy snow still falling. If you aren't a tank commander, I think you should stay off the roads in NC.

Dux:

Thanks for the interesting pix. Lucky there was no loss of life or environmental damage, especially as it is, apparently, a favorite beach and recreational area.

Should you not drop in again before Dec. 25, Happy Holly Days to you and yours, my friend, especially young Lady "M". 🎄 🎅

Page 577 of 608 1 2 575 576 577 578 579 607 608

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.