Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4451660 - 12/03/18 07:19 PM Help With Spins  
Wulfe Offline
Wulfe  Offline

Hi, all!

So, despite a bit of participation in the centenary DiD Campaign (caught the tail end of 1918) I still very much consider myself a rookie pilot. For that reason, I thought I'd ask about Spins!

The problem:

I can't get into them, I can't get out of them.

I thought trying to stall the craft would do the trick, but the few time's Ive got myself caught in a spin it's been totally unintentional - I then thought that aileron into the spin and reverse rudder + down elevator would get me back out. Nope! The ground got me out!

...is there a trick I just don't know yet?

#4451700 - 12/03/18 10:08 PM Re: Help With Spins [Re: Wulfe]  
Waldemar_Kurtz Offline
Waldemar_Kurtz  Offline

some aircraft are extremely docile and easy to fly. therefore they are very hard to get into a spin. honestly, with extremely light biplanes with nose-mounted engines that put the center of gravity far forward... it should be a little harder to get these old biplanes into a spin when compared to the more high-powered WW2 planes.

getting your plane to be tail-heavy and slowing down to stall speed is usually a good start. the Camel, Snipe, Airco DH2 and DH5. these could all get tail heavy more easily

to be honest, I haven't actually gotten into a spin yet... but I haven't been flying aircraft that were legendary for doing so. well, if I did get into a spin I usually recovered after just a couple of revolutions and didn't really think about it.

if you want to get into a spin I would suggest trying to flying in an Airco DH5. that negative stagger might be just what you're looking for. dive just a little bit to reach max speed, then zoom climb, cut your engine halfway through the zoom. as your speed starts to bleed off completely and you're just about to stall out THEN try to turn and level out at the top at the same time.

I say this, because in the past, the most common scenario where I got into a spin was typically trying to zoom climb into the blind spot of a two-seater with an under-powered plane. I will realize that my closing speed is faster than I originally wanted, cut the engine to prevent a collision, start shooting him up, and then realize I have to disengage.

so... try that for getting INTO spin. as for getting out... eh, I don't remember how to explain that!

I haven't flown enough WOFF to reallly test this theory - but back in RB3D this was a pretty good way of getting myself to spin into the ground at low altitude.

#4451734 - 12/04/18 01:54 AM Re: Help With Spins [Re: Wulfe]  
Nowi Offline
Nowi  Offline

Florida
Varies from plane to plane. But my first action to recover is to get my nose down. Try to gain some speed. When that happens you usually regain some control. Some planes seem to recover better by turning into the spin; others against it. But until your flight surfaces are working you’re going no where but down.

The best advice is to spend a lot of time in one type. You’ll eventually get a feel for when the crate is about to stall and you can avoid spins. I have 7.1 headphones and I’m beginning to notice that I can hear sound/wind changes as I near a stall. I do not get those same cues with my speakers.

Some recover easily. Others just want to spin. The best method is to avoid spins. You always end up losing altitude. Of course, sometimes a spin is a good defensive measure.

If I am getting hit, I follow certain rules. First, don’t look to see who is hitting you. If you do that, you’ll keep getting hit. Second, I push the stick forward into either the left or right corner. Third, I apply opposite rudder. That will often throw you into a spin.

Nowi
#4451888 - 12/04/18 11:57 PM Re: Help With Spins [Re: Wulfe]  
Wulfe Offline
Wulfe  Offline

Thanks guys! Nowi, the down-elevator-reverse-rudder trick works a treat! I tried it our in a quick mission. Very useful for getting out of the way, fast! But, best not to stick around afterwards, I've gathered wink

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus