Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#4451577 - 12/03/18 01:53 PM Re: Opinions needed for next graphics card. [Re: OvStachel]  
Panama Red Offline
Panama Red  Offline

Irmo, SC, USA
kksnowbear:
You are correct, I never said this new PC was cheap, but then I still have PC's I bought over 10 years ago doing various duties around the house. So you see, I buy for the looonnnngggg run and recycle the older PC's to other purposes when I replace them with newer PC's.

Since this is my main hobby since I'm retired now and WOFF UE is my main game, I have kept upgrading throughout the years until I have finally reached my goal of a constant 60 FPS (Flanders, Spring 1918) with maxed out settings so I can enjoy the game in all it's glory. thumbsup

But then each and every person has to decide themselves what they want and what they are willing to spend (be it time, energy, resources, etc.) to achieve their goal. biggrin

CPU = i9 11900K
GPU = RTX 3080 Ti
Monitor = ASUS ROG Swift PG32UQX 2160p G-sync
#4451585 - 12/03/18 02:55 PM Re: Opinions needed for next graphics card. [Re: OvStachel]  
kksnowbear Online content
kksnowbear  Online Content

Oh, I'm just glad to see your report on the system required to finally be able get that level of performance from the sim. 60FPS for only $2200**, that's definitely impressive, for sure.

Very useful to have such authoritative references available, to pass along and help inform others.

** Forgot to mention that $2200 doesn't include drives, a chassis, the aftermarket cooler likely necessary...you could spend another few hundred plus on incidentals like these.

Last edited by kksnowbear; 12/03/18 03:01 PM.
#4451587 - 12/03/18 03:04 PM Re: Opinions needed for next graphics card. [Re: OvStachel]  
Panama Red Offline
Panama Red  Offline

Irmo, SC, USA
I never said it was $2200. With all the bells and whistles (and to still be usable for the next 10 years for other purposes when it gets downgraded to other proposes), it costs more than that.

My oldest PC still being used is an original i7 975 Extreme PC from 10 years ago for my old Windows 7 games. I never get rid of a PC unless it no longer functions or have zero use for any other tasks.

I used to build my own PC's years ago, but I found that I can get exactly what I want by buying from places like CyberPower and the same price (since they buy in bulk) as my putting it together without all the hassles in making sure everything works from the get go.

But again, it goes back to what you are willing to spend in time, effort and resources to accomplish your goals.

CPU = i9 11900K
GPU = RTX 3080 Ti
#4451591 - 12/03/18 03:17 PM Re: Opinions needed for next graphics card. [Re: OvStachel]  

So...more than $2200 (which is also what I said ...that was just the CPU, main board, RAM and GPU).

60FPS, and at a cost more than let's say $2500. In your case, I wouldn't be surprised at $3000.

I still build my own PCs, and I do it for other people too. I've never had any hassles in making sure it works, I guess because I know what I'm doing...and I've seen some pretty shady, lazy, and stupid things inside 'pre-built' machines from the big names. (Yeah, they buy in bulk - and then slap on a 40% margin....)

But I'd be ashamed to suggest anyone had to pay $2500+ to get 60FPS. No matter the reasoning, that's just absurd.

My guess is this, along with the going on about AMD's graphics cards (which was the subject of this thread, BTW), will only drive more potential customers away from the sim.

Last edited by kksnowbear; 12/03/18 03:19 PM.
#4451595 - 12/03/18 03:42 PM Re: Opinions needed for next graphics card. [Re: OvStachel]  
Panama Red Offline
Panama Red  Offline

Irmo, SC, USA
I can also play WOFF UE on one of my laptops (with dedicated GPU) that only has a 3.0 GHz CPU (at mostly 60 FPS), but all the settings are at 1 versus 5 and no additional terrain mods which add a load.

So yes, you can still play WOFF UE from the highest level PC to the lowest PC, you just have to adjust for what you have and what you want.

WOFF (UE) used to be my "canary in the coal mine" game, i.e. if the PC could play WOFF (UE), it could play any of the other hundreds of games I own, but that is no longer the case, WOTR is actually a more demanding game than WOFF UE is right now. That is until OBD implements the various things that drag down WOTR into WOFF UE. Hopefully by the time they do that, WOFF UE will be upgraded to DX11 and then the CPU will not be as critical as it in with the DX9 WOFF UE.

P.S I'm trying to stay away from the AMD graphics card discussion since that is a dead horse as far as OBD is concerned at the moment (as you recall from the last "locked" thread on this subject).

CPU = i9 11900K
GPU = RTX 3080 Ti
#4451598 - 12/03/18 03:51 PM Re: Opinions needed for next graphics card. [Re: OvStachel]  

So... $2500-3000 for 60FPS consistently. Pay someone to build it for you, and act as if you know what you're doing. Just no AMD cards.

Got it, thanks smile

#4451602 - 12/03/18 04:00 PM Re: Opinions needed for next graphics card. [Re: OvStachel]  
Panama Red Offline
Panama Red  Offline

Irmo, SC, USA
Yes, I know what I am doing because I research for a long time before I buy and I can analyze, fix or replace things when they go bad since I used to build my own PC's.

Plus, if I use your same analogy as you, since you do not build your own automobile, you do not know anything about it before you buy it, correct ???

CPU = i9 11900K
GPU = RTX 3080 Ti
#4451606 - 12/03/18 04:18 PM Re: Opinions needed for next graphics card. [Re: OvStachel]  

I don't claim to be hot-rodding my automobile, nor try to convince anyone that I'm an expert.

(EDIT: I also don't spend $60,000 for a car just because it's the top-of-the-line, either - nor would I.)

(And, unlike computers, I've not made a living for 35+ years working on cars.)

Nice try... screwy

Really all you're accomplishing here is making it obvious you throw a lot of money at the latest and greatest hardware.

Last edited by kksnowbear; 12/03/18 04:35 PM.
#4451615 - 12/03/18 04:55 PM Re: Opinions needed for next graphics card. [Re: kksnowbear]  
Hellshade Online content
Hellshade
Hellshade  Online Content
Hellshade

Florida
Originally Posted by kksnowbear
So... $2500-3000 for 60FPS consistently. Pay someone to build it for you, and act as if you know what you're doing. Just no AMD cards.

Got it, thanks smile

If it works for him and he's happy with the result, why get so snarky over it? Maybe the money isn't a big deal to him. Some people pump money into fishing boats, others into cars. He does it for his favorite hobby, WOFF UE. If you can do it for less, kudos to you. Not sure why you need to get on his case about how he spends his money on his hobby and then shares the results he gets. His results are welcome here. So are yours if you care to share.

Last edited by Hellshade; 12/03/18 04:56 PM.

Flying Wings Over Flanders Fields: Between Heaven & Hell II
videos at www.youtube.com/hellshade68

#4451616 - 12/03/18 04:57 PM Re: Opinions needed for next graphics card. [Re: OvStachel]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

PR..seriously pal I just wouldn't engage with him. It doesn't matter what you say he won't have it. (I Personnally think he,s got a problem with OBD). If I'm correct he's never owned WOTR and sold his copy of WOFFUE months ago. Yet the majority of his postings are on OBD,S sims threads??? And the majority are negative regarding these sims. Why doesn't he offer his "expert" advice on other forums here at SimHQ?

He,s a know it all who's "never" wrong,he believes that his intellect is far superior to anyone else's. Seriously it's your time to do with what you like PR but you'll end up just going round in circles with him.

It really looks like it comes down to jealousy PR,your system which you've payed for is a beautiful bit of work. What's the problem with PR putting HIS money towards the latest and greatest hardware kksnowbear?
What's your 35 years in the industry prove? I build PC,s in my spare time,I bet you I could build one exactly the same as you and I don't have any experience in the industry. It's not rocket science anymore to build systems..it's all plug and play nowadays.

Like I've mentioned in past threads PR I've never seen a positive post from kksnowbear regarding OBD,S sims,he seemingly lurks the WOFF/WOTR threads "waiting" for his chance. No other threads on SimHQ does he do this. And with the amount of emojis he uses at times I often wonder if it's a grown up were in discussion with.

And fwiw,my PC cost nowhere near as much as what you've quoted kksnowbear. In fact the most expensive part in there is my GPU at £400. My CPU was £200(pre-owned) monitor was £230 and apart from flying over airfields (using the airfield mod) I get a near constant 60fps when I disable said mod I get my 60

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.
#4451617 - 12/03/18 04:57 PM Re: Opinions needed for next graphics card. [Re: OvStachel]  
Panama Red Offline
Panama Red  Offline

Irmo, SC, USA
kksnowbear:
No, all I'm saying is if you want certain standards in playing your game, you may need to purchase certain items to get there.

Unlike you, I'm not jealous when someone posts about their new PC on the forums and what their results are in game.

Again, you are applying YOUR standards to what people should buy, be it a PC, car or what ever. It is their money and they are entitled to spend it how they want, not the way YOU say they should spend it.

Just to let you know, years ago OBD banded an individual (Uncle AL) that was always a "know-it -all" and had a "snarky" comment whenever he did not agree with what some one said. I have been hoping you will not go down this path and the same thing happen to you.

CPU = i9 11900K
GPU = RTX 3080 Ti
#4451624 - 12/03/18 05:26 PM Re: Opinions needed for next graphics card. [Re: OvStachel]  

Like I said, I'm just glad to have your report that it took a $2500+ machine to get 60 FPS continuously from WOFF, after 10 years.

Oh, and I was here (and on other sites) for all of the UncleAl days. Not sure why you feel compelled to bring all that up, unless you're already complaining to someone yourself, or just trying to intimidate me...but I seriously doubt you're concerned for what happens to me biggrin biggrin biggrin

Jealous? Hardly. I'm not the one who needs to show off the computer I paid someone else to build.

I'm not forcing anything on anyone. When I build/sell PC stuff, the choice is always the customers. I just typically advise against anyone spending needless amounts of money on the latest and greatest thing. But, I tell them if they want to do it, I'll build it for them. Then I explain how they can probably do as well (or practically so) for a better price - and I tell them to spend the difference on their family, church, or charity. 100% go for the less expensive options I offer.

#4451625 - 12/03/18 05:35 PM Re: Opinions needed for next graphics card. [Re: OvStachel]  
Panama Red Offline
Panama Red  Offline

Irmo, SC, USA
You may have been here since him, but you have not learned any either.

CPU = i9 11900K
GPU = RTX 3080 Ti
#4451634 - 12/03/18 06:12 PM Re: Opinions needed for next graphics card. [Re: Adger]  

Originally Posted by Adger
And with the amount of emojis he uses at times I often wonder if it's a grown up were in discussion with.

And fwiw,my PC cost nowhere near as much as what you've quoted kksnowbear. In fact the most expensive part in there is my GPU at £400. My CPU was £200(pre-owned) monitor was £230 and apart from flying over airfields (using the airfield mod) I get a near constant 60fps when I disable said mod I get my 60

First of all, you're apparently forgetting that I told you recently, but how do you propose I would've pulled off meeting other forum people (and having dinner, replete with wife and pet birds, mind), if I were some kid in his parents' basement. Another sadly misguided theory about me that is unnecessary and inaccurate.

As for the cost of your PC, my "quoting" was the parts PR says he has, not something I came up with. Just looked up parts costs online, and in fact he said his was actually *more*.

It's very interesting that you can "get (your) 60" from a machine that costs so little by comparison, but PR reports he only 'finally' got that level of performance after 10 years running OFF P3, WOFF, and WOFF UE, by getting a machine that cost several times as much.

A fascinating disparity, and it sort of seems to prove the point that an extreme top-of-the-line PC (shouldn't be) necessary to get that performance. Either that, or someone's way off on their assessment.

#4451635 - 12/03/18 06:17 PM Re: Opinions needed for next graphics card. [Re: kksnowbear]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

Like I said, I'm just glad to have your report that it took a $2500+ machine to get 60 FPS continuously from WOFF, after 10 years.

Jealous? Hardly. I'm not the one who needs to show off the computer I paid someone else to build.

There you go again in your 1st sentence,your little snidely dig at a OBD sim. None of which I believe you currently own. It doesn't take a $2500 to get 60fps on WOFF but then again you know that already kksnowbear.

"Show Off" the computer ? I don't see PR showing off his computer. People have asked about his setup and he's obliged by commenting on it so therefore I believe also that there's a jealous element to your comments.

We will remember them.
#4451636 - 12/03/18 06:27 PM Re: Opinions needed for next graphics card. [Re: kksnowbear]  
Hellshade Online content
Hellshade
Hellshade  Online Content
Hellshade

Florida
I'm not forcing anything on anyone.

No, you are being a sarcastic snob. PR isn't forcing anything on anyone either. He's happy with the results he's getting and never told anyone they "had" to do it his way. This discussion has nothing to do with technology and everything to do with your ego.

Flying Wings Over Flanders Fields: Between Heaven & Hell II
videos at www.youtube.com/hellshade68

#4451642 - 12/03/18 06:34 PM Re: Opinions needed for next graphics card. [Re: kksnowbear]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

And with the amount of emojis he uses at times I often wonder if it's a grown up were in discussion with.

It's very interesting that you can "get (your) 60" from a machine that costs so little by comparison, but PR reports he only 'finally' got that level of performance after 10 years running OFF P3, WOFF, and WOFF UE, by getting a machine that cost several times as much.

A fascinating disparity, and it sort of seems to prove the point that an extreme top-of-the-line PC (shouldn't be) necessary to get that performance. Either that, or someone's way off on their assessment.

1st of all your assuming that we are using the exact same settings. It may be that PR uses higher resolutions? Maybe he has more mods than me? His workshop settings may be higher? Maybe he has more background tasks working than mine,does he use Windows 10 where has I use Win 7. We've both reported our findings which I can tell you are a honest assessment from my part regarding this sim. I have absolutely no reason to not believe PR in any way shape or form regarding his findings either.

It looks like PR is using a 4K monitor so of course a high resolution like that requires a beefier system to get higher FPS. So I'm correct kksnowbear a "cheaper" system running at a lower resolution would indeed produce 60fps. I'd of thought with your 35 years experience you'd have known that though

We will remember them.
#4451645 - 12/03/18 06:59 PM Re: Opinions needed for next graphics card. [Re: OvStachel]  

1st of all your assuming that we are using the exact same settings. It may be that PR uses higher resolutions? Maybe he has more mods than me? His workshop settings may be higher? Maybe he has more background tasks working than mine,does he use Windows 10 where has I use Win 7. We've both reported our findings which I can tell you are a honest assessment from my part regarding this sim. I have absolutely no reason to not believe PR in any way shape or form regarding his findings either.

It looks like PR is using a 4K monitor so of course a high resolution like that requires a beefier system to get higher FPS. So I'm correct kksnowbear a "cheaper" system running at a lower resolution would indeed produce 60fps. I'd of thought with your 35 years experience you'd have known that though

So, 10 years ago, he had a 4k monitor? He did say that he hadn't been able to get 60FPS until now, after 10 years. He covered everything from OFF P3 to WOFF UE. Here it is again:

Originally Posted by Panama Red
With the 9900K CPU it is the first time in over 10 years playing OFF3 / WOFF / WOFF UE that I never drop below 60 FPS at any time or any place...

Finally.

And with all his experience and his long time goal of getting 60 frames as he says...well, you'd certainly think he tried different settings.

According to him, he wasn't getting 60FPS steady for all this time, never mind what monitor, settings, system or anything else. It was his new setup alone that has realized the goal.

#4451652 - 12/03/18 07:03 PM Re: Opinions needed for next graphics card. [Re: Adger]  
JJJ65 Offline
JJJ65  Offline

Czech Rep.

+1

#4451655 - 12/03/18 07:06 PM Re: Opinions needed for next graphics card. [Re: Hellshade]  

Originally Posted by Hellshade
I'm not forcing anything on anyone.

No, you are being a sarcastic snob. PR isn't forcing anything on anyone either. He's happy with the results he's getting and never told anyone they "had" to do it his way. This discussion has nothing to do with technology and everything to do with your ego.

Nice name-calling. Funny, something that's resorted to often, I've noticed. Very mature.

The reason I've posted is because I believe it's a very bad idea when these silly internet 'bragging rights' are invoked.

And, BTW: No one asked PR about anything other than his GPU (which you did). He volunteered the rest. Go check, if you don't believe me. But there it is, none the less. Of course, I'm sure you'll have some reason to explain it - but it wasn't because anyone asked for it.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM