Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4451474 - 12/02/18 05:32 PM Terrain Shimmering  
SkyHigh Offline
SkyHigh  Offline

Ireland
Although I have been very happy with the improved graphics that the modders here have generously gifted us, I had not been able to eliminate the distinctive shimmering of the terrain in the distance, as it approached the horizon. Today, I was experimenting with my Nvidia Inspector settings (this utility is required for this solution) when I discovered that 4x sparse grid supersampling eliminates the shimmering. The icing on the cake is that I could see no performance hit whatsoever; not even an fps drop of one. Of course, everybody's system operates uniquely, but for anyone with the problem it might be an option.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4451476 - 12/02/18 06:03 PM Re: Terrain Shimmering [Re: SkyHigh]  
rwatson Offline
Hotshot
rwatson  Offline
Hotshot

New Concord, Ohio
Skyhigh are you running D3D or Glide..I've got an Nvidia gtx 1050 and D3D gives me very bad terrain and frame rates..glide looks and perfrorms better using the nglide wrapper

Russ
Semper Fi
#4451478 - 12/02/18 06:09 PM Re: Terrain Shimmering [Re: SkyHigh]  
Rotton50 Offline
3DZ / campaign designer
Rotton50  Offline
3DZ / campaign designer

Cape Charles, Virginia, USA
The original game included a farm as a ground object. It was surrounded by a while picket fence. That fence can also cause a shimmering effect.

Not that that is the case here, just an FYI for anyone who might try these settings and still see a problem.

Somewhere out there in EAW land there is a modified farm with the fence deleted.

Heck, even paranoids have enemies.
#4451484 - 12/02/18 06:54 PM Re: Terrain Shimmering [Re: rwatson]  
SkyHigh Offline
SkyHigh  Offline

Ireland
Originally Posted by rwatson
Skyhigh are you running D3D or Glide..I've got an Nvidia gtx 1050 and D3D gives me very bad terrain and frame rates..glide looks and perfrorms better using the nglide wrapper

I find the opposite. I get average frame-rates in the high forties and low fifties in D3D, but poorer results with glide, for which I would require both DXWND and a glide wrapper in order to get a non-stretched image. I am mostly using a custom 1.28e install with hi-res planes, courtesy of the mod-squad and a 512x512 24-bit terrain I discovered on my external hard-drive that I must have downloaded some years ago. I have no horizon fog, but find that a hills file masks the bare horizons. I think that the true widescreen provided by D3D is a real boon. I have a 660 ti, so you're packing a lot more than me.

One thing. I find that raising the bar in one's nvidia settings or in nvidia inspector (the latter is much better) can actually improve performance in European Air War, whereas there is usually an fps cost in more modern games. Trial and error is the way to go and EAW's rapid loading time is very helpful in this regard. One can experiment on a new setting in Quick Mission in mere seconds.

Last edited by SkyHigh; 12/02/18 07:06 PM.
#4451485 - 12/02/18 06:56 PM Re: Terrain Shimmering [Re: Rotton50]  
SkyHigh Offline
SkyHigh  Offline

Ireland
Originally Posted by Rotton50
The original game included a farm as a ground object. It was surrounded by a while picket fence. That fence can also cause a shimmering effect.

Not that that is the case here, just an FYI for anyone who might try these settings and still see a problem.

Somewhere out there in EAW land there is a modified farm with the fence deleted.

Is that the one with the cows running around?!

Not to be so glib, my shimmering was a more general one involving the entire terrain in the distance. It's not a major problem, but I'm glad it's gone.

Thanks to you and you're modding colleagues for providing us with so much material that has visually improved the sim so much. The reason that a little fix that I've found is of any value is because there are such good graphics available to be improved.

Last edited by SkyHigh; 12/02/18 07:00 PM.
#4451489 - 12/02/18 08:16 PM Re: Terrain Shimmering [Re: SkyHigh]  
Rotton50 Offline
3DZ / campaign designer
Rotton50  Offline
3DZ / campaign designer

Cape Charles, Virginia, USA
We don't have cows but we do have whirling windmill blades.

As I said, I didn't think this was you major problem but we have had membesr complain that they couldn't get rid of all the shimmering with video adjustment which turned out to be the picket fences.

And thanks for the compliment.

Heck, even paranoids have enemies.
#4451499 - 12/02/18 09:47 PM Re: Terrain Shimmering [Re: SkyHigh]  
MarkEAW Offline
MarkEAW  Offline

SkyHigh, I looked up that sampling, it appears to be a once bug that is now an nvidia option/feature I guess.

Its alittle confusing as how to use it. Some say you have to enable MSAA in the nvida video control panel aswell, ...

I'll have to try it some day to see if I can figure out how to use it.

Great Find BTW.

#4451509 - 12/02/18 11:26 PM Re: Terrain Shimmering [Re: MarkEAW]  
iron mike Offline
iron mike  Offline

Maryland, USA
Has anyone adapted or tried the 512 terrain tiles? They look great in 1.2X, OAW made inserting them for tests and game play very easy. If they aren't available for 1.6 then they must be placed into the cue for future adaption.

256 in D3D and a nVidia card with old drivers. I found that if I upgraded the driver then the video errors happened. Since my XP machine is not used for current apps I haven't changed the driver in years. For other stuff and 1.6 I have a newer machine with Win 10. (Don't really like Win 10, I'm just too stuck in the past OS world.)

[Linked Image]

512 terrain on same machine.

[Linked Image]

I get 60+ fps on this machine using D3D, my frame rate plumets with glide and I do not need a wrapper for this mode. I also get horizon fog.

#4451513 - 12/03/18 12:09 AM Re: Terrain Shimmering [Re: SkyHigh]  
rwatson Offline
Hotshot
rwatson  Offline
Hotshot

New Concord, Ohio
might be time to install nvidia inspector and using SkyHighs setting and see if D3D will run better for me

Russ
Semper Fi
#4451539 - 12/03/18 08:07 AM Re: Terrain Shimmering [Re: MarkEAW]  
SkyHigh Offline
SkyHigh  Offline

Ireland
Originally Posted by MarkEAW
SkyHigh, I looked up that sampling, it appears to be a once bug that is now an nvidia option/feature I guess.

Its alittle confusing as how to use it. Some say you have to enable MSAA in the nvida video control panel aswell, ...

Great Find BTW.

Thanks, Mark. On my system, and I'm not using the latest drivers-mine are 388.13, I can only find sparse grid supersampling using NVidia Inspector. I don't remember ever creating a profile, so I think EAW features by default in this facility. I need a minimum of 4x MSAA and 4x Sparse Grid Supersampling to get the effect mentioned. Transparency AA has no effect and I find the other type (is it FXAA?) counter-productive.

#4451540 - 12/03/18 08:08 AM Re: Terrain Shimmering [Re: rwatson]  
SkyHigh Offline
SkyHigh  Offline

Ireland
Originally Posted by rwatson
might be time to install nvidia inspector and using SkyHighs setting and see if D3D will run better for me

Fiddle around with the settings until you hopefully get the desired result. There could be some little setting on or off that is holding your card back.

#4451547 - 12/03/18 09:52 AM Re: Terrain Shimmering [Re: SkyHigh]  
MarkEAW Offline
MarkEAW  Offline

Originally Posted by SkyHigh
Originally Posted by MarkEAW

Great Find BTW.

Thanks, Mark. On my system, and I'm not using the latest drivers-mine are 388.13, I can only find sparse grid supersampling using NVidia Inspector. I don't remember ever creating a profile, so I think EAW features by default in this facility. I need a minimum of 4x MSAA and 4x Sparse Grid Supersampling to get the effect mentioned. Transparency AA has no effect and I find the other type (is it FXAA?) counter-productive.

Yes you did mention FSAA may have messed things up for you. May been the menu screens.
Alright thanks for the tips and guidance.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.