Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4450966 - 11/29/18 11:09 AM Help needed!  
Ace_Pilto Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber
Ace_Pilto  Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber

Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
Hey everyone.

I'm looking for an i7 3770k processor and was wondering if anyone here can help me source one. Because the Australian government sold our national assets, hates fun, hates its' citizens and punishes us with a GST that collects revenue on every transaction in order to prop up our absurd, backwards and tangibly baseless economy by funding ridiculously asinine social programs (like importing human beings from the third world to prop up our failing real estate bubble) the price for an i7 3770K here is exorbitant, to say the least. As such domestic suppliers are nonexistent because they are only interested in price gouging to pay their massively injust rent and taxes. Market price in the US for an i7 3770K is around $250 USD. Here it's $504 USD and that as to be shipped from Japan or China. (Welcome to "free trade", we're free to do things to your financial sphincter and you're free to take it without complaint or we'll accuse you of "hate speech".)

So, long story short, in the grand tradition of "Sticking it right up them" and the ANZUS treaty, I have resolved to enlist trans Pacific support from one of my colonial cousins in acquiring one of these processors without having to lubricate parts of my anatomy that ought best be used for other purposes. I am set up for this upgrade but prices here are inflated to an extent that would make a Zeppelin blush. I love sticking it to "the man" and I love sticking pins in overly inflated things (there's something satisfying about the way they go "*POP*" and then sag sadly to the floor). So, if anyone is willing or able to help then please PM me.

If one of you has a second hand one then I will buy it from you for a fair price. or if one of you would be willing to have one shipped to you and send it on to me. I will compensate you for shipping and your trouble.

Let's pretend I got the BWOC badge to embed here.

Wenn ihr sieg im deine Kampf selbst gegen, wirst stark wie Stahl sein.
"The best techniques are passed on by the survivors." - Gaiden Shinji
#4450976 - 11/29/18 12:41 PM Re: Help needed! [Re: Ace_Pilto]  
kksnowbear Offline
kksnowbear  Offline

If I'm following, and at the risk of incurring an 'anti-auction site' sentiment...you're not willing to consider that venue, I take it?

Just curious. I can certainly understand if someone's opposed to that; Suum cuique. But it will significantly limit potential for finding the part you want.

#4451014 - 11/29/18 04:59 PM Re: Help needed! [Re: Ace_Pilto]  
Nowi Offline
Nowi  Offline

Florida

Nowi
#4451119 - 11/30/18 07:55 AM Re: Help needed! [Re: Nowi]  
Ace_Pilto Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber
Ace_Pilto  Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber

Originally Posted by kksnowbear
If I'm following, and at the risk of incurring an 'anti-auction site' sentiment...you're not willing to consider that venue, I take it?

Just curious. I can certainly understand if someone's opposed to that; Suum cuique. But it will significantly limit potential for finding the part you want.

I looked but the only retailers offering shipping to Australia were from China and Japan and their prices were double what the thing is worth. There were no domestic sellers for the CPU alone, just people offering their second hand systems which happened to have a 3770K already seated. Not an ideal solution, although it may be worth considering that option if no opportunities present themselves to get a new unit at a decent price. Honestly I'd rather just build a new system if I was going to go that far. Given that I have little time for gaming these days I can't justify the expense even though I can easily afford it.

Thanks for the link Nowi, I'll look into that site. Have you dealt with them before? If they ship to prison colonies I'll definitely be interested because that is a great price.

Last edited by Ace_Pilto; 11/30/18 07:59 AM.

#4451136 - 11/30/18 11:17 AM Re: Help needed! [Re: Ace_Pilto]  
kksnowbear Offline
kksnowbear  Offline

Right...I guess my referral was intended to imply buying used - which again, I understand isn't for everyone. But, obviously greater cost will be a factor if the unit must be new.

That said - you do see that the unit Nowi linked is 'refurbished'...right? That site appears to be selling mostly used hardware. And shipping would add to the cost there, too. Found used units cheaper on eBay ($192+40 shipped), although it was yesterday...some were listed on ebay.au and ship international.

Last edited by kksnowbear; 11/30/18 11:24 AM.
#4451162 - 11/30/18 01:41 PM Re: Help needed! [Re: Ace_Pilto]  
Ace_Pilto Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber
Ace_Pilto  Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber

Yeah, hence the reason for my post. "Refurbished" usually means they pulled out of some auctioned unit where it sat doing SFA for most of it's days.

#4451170 - 11/30/18 02:39 PM Re: Help needed! [Re: Ace_Pilto]  
kksnowbear Offline
kksnowbear  Offline

So, if I'm following, used is ok...? Or do you distinguish between used and refurb?

#4451391 - 12/01/18 10:51 PM Re: Help needed! [Re: Ace_Pilto]  
Ace_Pilto Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber
Ace_Pilto  Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber

Depends, I'd be interested to know if the used one had been overclocked.

#4451398 - 12/02/18 12:06 AM Re: Help needed! [Re: Ace_Pilto]  
kksnowbear Offline
kksnowbear  Offline

Well, with all due respect, you're taking chances if you ask and anyone answers "No". Not sure how reliable that is, considering the odds aren't favorable going in to finding unlocked CPUs that were never overclocked.

#4451425 - 12/02/18 09:05 AM Re: Help needed! [Re: Ace_Pilto]  
Ace_Pilto Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber
Ace_Pilto  Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber

Yeah, I realise that but I'm taking a $200 chance over a $900 chance. See the difference???

#4451450 - 12/02/18 02:14 PM Re: Help needed! [Re: Ace_Pilto]  
kksnowbear Offline
kksnowbear  Offline

TBH, I'm not sure I do. If you're referring to the cost of the new unit as the $900 chance, then a.) I don't recall seeing where the $900 comes in (cost of new unit, shipped, in AUD?) and moreover b.) if it is new, it's not really taking a chance at all.

IMO your best bet is the "$200 chance". Find the cheapest seller with a sterling reputation over a long period of time, for a used unit, and cross your fingers. And although you'd really never want to have to, make sure you have an avenue for pursuing if there's a problem. Unless you just absolutely must have an unlocked unit, I'd also consider a vanilla 3770. They can be overclocked reasonably; I've done several that wound up well past 4G 24-hour stable overclocks. Thing is, after a certain point, air isn't viable cooling - and in my experience, the 3770's will get you up to that point. The performance you gain after that, while not completely insignificant, increases cost and hassle in an exponentially inverse proportion.

Of course, I do realize a 3770 is not the same as a 3770k. I have done unlocked units that I could get another 18% out of over the fastest non-k chip overclock, but this was the CPU part of an overall synthetic gaming score which is definitely influenced by GPU. In the my tests with the same GPU/same motherboard etc, I have gotten a plain 3770 to 92.5% of what I could get an unlocked chip to run stable. To me the extra 8% or so doesn't seem worth the cost and what you go through, for what you get in real 'performance perception'. Most of the people I've let test drive these systems cannot even tell the difference, and the actual impact on frame rates is - for the most part - spectacularly imperceptible.

In any case, best of luck smile

#4451763 - 12/04/18 09:46 AM Re: Help needed! [Re: Ace_Pilto]  
Ace_Pilto Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber
Ace_Pilto  Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber

I've found and purchased one for a shade under $200 USD, thanks everyone for your help. Much appreciated.

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM