Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#4452588 - 12/10/18 12:12 AM Re: Can We Talk some HOCKEY???? [Re: JohnnyChemo]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
I think right now the Tampa Bay Lightning are best suited for that big, tough team that can skate. I guess I mean more guys that can hit and grind while not missing their assignments, rather than an "enforcer".
Those guys are at a premium now. You certainly don't want your 10 million a year guys fighting. You don't want them getting hurt or spending big parts of the game in the penalty box. Look at how much the Calgary Flames have improved since the arrival of Tkachuk.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4452646 - 12/10/18 02:15 PM Re: Can We Talk some HOCKEY???? [Re: JohnnyChemo]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Fighting in hockey's old news. It used to be fun, but no longer is. Time to legislate it right out for me. The days of Grimson vs Probert are a relic of history. I doubt it will be outlawed any time soon, but it's days are numbered. Seems out of place these days, and that's coming from someone who used to defend it. The purists won't want to see it gone, and I can see the argument there too. But for me, it no longer seems to have a place.

The hockey gods are cruel. A few posts back I was dismissive of the Flyers even after a 6-2 win. And with good reason as it turned out, as they managed to lose 7-1 the following night. Such a Flyers thing to do. But you'd think that NOT tempting fate would spare me such results. But no.

And the 'sweep' I was referring to in last year's playoffs was nothing of the kind. The thing I was thinking of was the Preds fan who tempted fate and the Preds lost, but maybe it was in seven, not a sweep. Lost to the Jets.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4452744 - 12/10/18 09:05 PM Re: Can We Talk some HOCKEY???? [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
Originally Posted by DBond
The shine's come off the Sabres a bit since this thread was posted. I mean, the Flyers? Come on....

It's far better to always say your team sucks, even when they don't, as otherwise it's tempting fate. It happened here in a hockey thread in the playoffs last year. The team was on a roll, a fan posted how they would win the next series, and they got swept. Superstition is real in hockey. Karma too biggrin

Yup, on the skids now, that 3rd period implosion was painful against the Flyers.

Still, it's along season...

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
This is known as "bad luck.”
-Robert Heinlein
#4452747 - 12/10/18 09:20 PM Re: Can We Talk some HOCKEY???? [Re: JohnnyChemo]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yeah, they'll be fine you'd reckon. They have built a nice cushion in the early going. Even if they just played .500 hockey from here on out they'd make the playoffs. They have a good record, but only a +3 goal differential which might be a concern.

But a long way to go like you said.

#4452957 - 12/12/18 10:28 AM Re: Can We Talk some HOCKEY???? [Re: JohnnyChemo]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
The low goal diff is due to a LOT of OT and SO wins, like last night when they broke the 5 game slide in OT against the Kings.

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
-Robert Heinlein
#4454235 - 12/21/18 04:58 PM Re: Can We Talk some HOCKEY???? [Re: JohnnyChemo]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Hey JC, any insight on what's going on with Berglund? I know he is being released after clearing waivers, but I mean why is he not reporting? What happened?

Against my better judgement, I will talk about the Flyers, who no longer sit in the basement. They fired the GM (Hextall) and the coach (Hakstol) and finally listened to me and recalled Carter Hart, who won his first two NHL starts. Of course he will now lose seven straight because I had the temerity to mention it and run afoul of the Hockey Gods.

So Scott Gordon is the interim coach, and we will have to see if he has a positive effect on the team, or whether they need to hire someone else. Quenneville? I hate to see them wasting Giroux's prime years and they need to get it in gear and become a contender again. Wishful thinking....

#4457912 - 01/19/19 04:50 AM Re: Can We Talk some HOCKEY???? [Re: JohnnyChemo]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
Well, who would have thought the Islanders would have a better record than the Leafs at this point in the season. Everyone thought they would suck after losing Tavares. I guess Trotz still knows what he is doing.

#4457939 - 01/19/19 02:04 PM Re: Can We Talk some HOCKEY???? [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
Originally Posted by DBond
Hey JC, any insight on what's going on with Berglund? I know he is being released after clearing waivers, but I mean why is he not reporting? What happened?

Nobody knows for sure of course but the general consensus was that he wasn’t happy getting bottom line minutes, and very limited minutes at that.

Interesting because now Nathan Beaulieau has now asked for a trade, assumption is the same thing - they’ve been working a highly regarded rookie (Pilut) into the lineup and his playing time has suffered as a result.

Meanwhile, the Sabres’ regression to the mean is proceeding in spectacular fashion....

Last edited by JohnnyChemo; 01/19/19 02:07 PM.

-Robert Heinlein
#4457991 - 01/19/19 09:10 PM Re: Can We Talk some HOCKEY???? [Re: LB4LB]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by LB4LB
Well, who would have thought the Islanders would have a better record than the Leafs at this point in the season. Everyone thought they would suck after losing Tavares. I guess Trotz still knows what he is doing.

They both have played 47 games and each have 60 points. But yeah, nobody thought the Islanders would be sitting where they are,especially in the Metro Division. I think the Leafs are where people thought they would be. But they could be battling for a wild card spot if they are not careful. Montreal is a much better team than most predicted. I don't like Montreal, but I do like it better when they are a competitive team.

It will be interesting to see what moves teams make. Trade deadline Feb. 25th. I'm hoping the Leafs add a bit of grit. Wayne Simmons maybe ?

#4458087 - 01/20/19 05:56 PM Re: Can We Talk some HOCKEY???? [Re: WangoTango]  
462cid Offline
462cid  Offline

USA
Originally Posted by WangoTango

Truth be known, teams like the mentioned 70-71 Bruins were a group of tough guys that could play, but teams today would skate circles around them.

If you put the '71 team in today's league? absolutely. Players did not train like they do now. On endurance alone, the old team gets buried. Cheevers used to have a smoke during intermission.

For a long time, players didn't even drink water during a game. The wisdom was it gave you cramps and affected play. Can't compare the eras.

What kind of car is that? What does it matter? When I drive it, I'm Steve McQueen
#4458150 - 01/21/19 01:51 PM Re: Can We Talk some HOCKEY???? [Re: WangoTango]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted by WangoTango
Wayne Simmons maybe ?

I expect him to be moved, but ya never know, and I have yet to get a feel for the new Flyers' front office. Not sure what they are thinking, or how likely they are to make moves. But with this season well and truly over already, it makes sense to blow it up. Simmonds is one of the few valuable pieces the Flyers have. Voracek makes too much money and Giroux isn't going to be traded unless he asks for it.

Simmonds is exactly the type of player playoff teams look to add before the deadline. Good in the corners, a net presence. Physical and can bang in 30 a season on a good team. An effective player on the power play. He only costs 4 mil against the cap, but he's a UFA after this year. If the Flyers can get a good prospect or picks I'd expect him to be traded before the deadline.

Meanwhile, the Sabres’ regression to the mean is proceeding in spectacular fashion....

Yeah, right? I said earlier they'd already banked enough points and would be fine. But they are out of the playoff spots at the moment right? Pittsburgh is ahead of them for the final spot. ESPN ran a article last week about Berglund. Said he needed to 'find himself'

#4458171 - 01/21/19 05:16 PM Re: Can We Talk some HOCKEY???? [Re: DBond]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Find himself ?? Your in the NHL making lots of money. Your job is a game.

#4458172 - 01/21/19 05:23 PM Re: Can We Talk some HOCKEY???? [Re: JohnnyChemo]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Seems nuts, but ya never can tell I guess

Link to Berglund story on ESPN.com

#4458252 - 01/22/19 10:28 AM Re: Can We Talk some HOCKEY???? [Re: JohnnyChemo]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
Yeah I saw that. I think there’s more to it personally, but we’ll never know.

-Robert Heinlein
#4458280 - 01/22/19 03:46 PM Re: Can We Talk some HOCKEY???? [Re: JohnnyChemo]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by JohnnyChemo
Yeah I saw that. I think there’s more to it personally, but we’ll never know.

Sounds like he just missed Sweden. Or, he really didn't like Buffalo after playing in St. Louis for 10 years. Walked away from over 19 mil.

Kyle Dubas cancels Leafs practice this morning, and is addressing the media at 11:30.....odd.

#4458372 - 01/23/19 12:50 PM Re: Can We Talk some HOCKEY???? [Re: JohnnyChemo]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
WTH is going on in Edmonton ? They allow GM Chiarelli to sign a Goalie, with 31 NHL games experience, to a 3 yr, 13.5 mil contract. And Then fire Chiarelli within 24 hrs ??? What a mess in Oil country. Tight for cap space next season. Poor Connor McDavid.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.