Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4450026 - 11/22/18 06:33 PM IL-2:GB, RoF - up to 66% OFF.  
Sokol1 Offline
Sokol1  Offline

Internet

#4450079 - 11/22/18 11:53 PM Re: IL-2:GB, RoF - up to 66% OFF. [Re: Sokol1]  
Mr_Blastman Offline
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Offline
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
So are the theaters Moscow and Kuban worth the money, and do they come with more planes?

#4450295 - 11/24/18 10:01 AM Re: IL-2:GB, RoF - up to 66% OFF. [Re: Sokol1]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

Yes, each base game comes with it's own set of historic planes. The bonus (collector) planes can be bought and played without base games as long as you own at least one base game. Generally though each base game comes with a collector version that includes two of the extra planes (but the base game plus collector planes can be bought separately).

As for if it is worth it? No clue, you can fly any of the theaters online for free as long as you own one of the planes being flown on the server. So you can check them all out.

The big thing is that each base game comes with their own campaigns. So if you want/like SP campaigns you'll need to buy the base game.

#4450332 - 11/24/18 05:03 PM Re: IL-2:GB, RoF - up to 66% OFF. [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
Blade_Meister Offline
Blade_Meister  Offline

Atlanta, GA, USA
Originally Posted by Mr_Blastman
So are the theaters Moscow and Kuban worth the money, and do they come with more planes?

Here is the deal. From what I read MP works very well and there is a good size community. The whole Great Battles Series(BOS, BOM, BOK) are excellent in the graphical, FM, user adjustments and freedom of product use. The SP is still very much a work in progress as the AI issues continue to make the SP experience pretty thin. The Career generator is set up well with good history, lots of options, good UI and a good Squadron atmosphere. The problem is that the AI still do very basic stupid things(pursuing EA when out of ammo, flying right by 1 bomber while getting hammered to pursue the next bomber ahead, attacking bomber dead 6, early mission major damage to AI & they continue mission until plane dies rather than turn back, stupid stuff) and leave the player to basically lone wolfing & RTB to see if anyone survived the stupidity. 1C has been making some AI improvements, SSSSLLLLLOOOOOWWWWLLLLLYYYYY, but it still leaves the player desiring better immersion. I am in it for the long run(hopefully I live to see better AI, LOL) so I own everything. At a good sale price I think all the Theaters are worth it, especially if you are a MP. I have to give 1C credit though, from the release of BOS they have completely turned the whole Great Battle Series around and headed in the 100% correct direction. Will they build an immersive AI to satisfy their customers? I certainly hope so, but they didn't in ROF when they could have and pushed ROF over the top as the best WWI CFS ever. I am hoping that Jason learned his lesson with that and will bring AI development to a top priority. If they don't invest now and do it, then they will just be pumping out more planes and theaters that sooner or later SP folks will get tired of buying. Here is to Hoping 1C figures this out soon. This is all IMHO of course. salute

S!Blade<><

Last edited by Blade_Meister; 11/24/18 08:48 PM.
#4450341 - 11/24/18 05:55 PM Re: IL-2:GB, RoF - up to 66% OFF. [Re: Sokol1]  
Mr_Blastman Offline
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Offline
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
So what DOES have good AI these days? I guess I need to play 1946 to get that. How is Over Flander's Field?

The AI seems better in BOS than CloD, so far...

#4450353 - 11/24/18 08:13 PM Re: IL-2:GB, RoF - up to 66% OFF. [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
Redwolf Offline
Redwolf  Offline

Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
So what DOES have good AI these days? I guess I need to play 1946 to get that. How is Over Flander's Field?

Over Flander's Field has the best modeled AI I have ever seen in any combat prop simulator, period. It is a real strength of OBD software - AI and single player dynamic campaign, whereas IL-2:GB is graphics and flight/damage modeling (if we could get both together, WOW would that ever be something else!!!). Wings Over the Reich continues the OBD tradition in the AI department - they are miles ahead of IL2: GB. IL2:GB really really needs to get their head in the game regarding SP AI. Gosh I remember the fiasco when everybody was claiming (except Space Ghost, lol) that the AI was specifically always targeting the player's aircraft...they denied and denied ...then eventually release a patch _acknowledging_ and fixing that quite a while later. Pretty planes and theaters are nice, but game play is very very important too. Agree with Blade_Meister above - they really got to put a huge priority on AI - it is relatively poor and only serviceable at best. I am hoping the survey they had us do shows loud and clear that they really need to put far greater effort to the AI, or indeed the SP player base (which is actually very likely greater than the MP player base), is going to grow increasingly disappointed.

At least with the last patch there were "some" improvements and some attention placed on it - that is a good thing! ...but we need far more -- and I would love them (developers) to come out and publicly announce that they heard us and make AI improvement a far bigger priority.

Win10/ i5-7600/ 16GB RAM/ GTX1660 Super
#4450359 - 11/24/18 08:46 PM Re: IL-2:GB, RoF - up to 66% OFF. [Re: Redwolf]  
Blade_Meister Offline
Blade_Meister  Offline

Atlanta, GA, USA
Originally Posted by Redwolf

Over Flander's Field has the best modeled AI I have ever seen in any combat prop simulator, period. It is a real strength of OBD software - AI and single player dynamic campaign, whereas IL-2:GB is graphics and flight/damage modeling (if we could get both together, WOW would that ever be something else!!!). Wings Over the Reich continues the OBD tradition in the AI department - they are miles ahead of IL2: GB. IL2:GB really really needs to get their head in the game regarding SP AI. Gosh I remember the fiasco when everybody was claiming (except Space Ghost, lol) that the AI was specifically always targeting the player's aircraft...they denied and denied ...then eventually release a patch _acknowledging_ and fixing that quite a while later. Pretty planes and theaters are nice, but game play is very very important too. Agree with Blade_Meister above - they really got to put a huge priority on AI - it is relatively poor and only serviceable at best. I am hoping the survey they had us do shows loud and clear that they really need to put far greater effort to the AI, or indeed the SP player base (which is actually very likely greater than the MP player base), is going to grow increasingly disappointed.

At least with the last patch there were "some" improvements and some attention placed on it - that is a good thing! ...but we need far more -- and I would love them (developers) to come out and publicly announce that they heard us and make AI improvement a far bigger priority.

This, +1 !!! Il2 1946, WOFF UE, WOTR and BOBII(never tried this but have read good things) are the best in the business of AI use in their CFSs.

S!Blade<><

#4450360 - 11/24/18 09:08 PM Re: IL-2:GB, RoF - up to 66% OFF. [Re: Sokol1]  
Mr_Blastman Offline
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Offline
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
Hmm, I need to get Flanders then. Does it require Combat Flight Sim 3 or something?

#4450364 - 11/24/18 09:35 PM Re: IL-2:GB, RoF - up to 66% OFF. [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
Redwolf Offline
Redwolf  Offline

Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
Hmm, I need to get Flanders then. Does it require Combat Flight Sim 3 or something?

It doesn't require that you have it physically installed - nor does it need any disk or anything, so you are going to be fine whatever your situation (whether you lost your old cd or whatever that may be). smile
(keep in mind it won't have the level of amazing graphics that 1C has, nor quite the flight modeling precision (but it is still very very decent) - it's strength is the feeling of being a pilot in a living, breathing believable war rather than just simulating flying a individual plane - it's completely believable and extremely well modeled AI and fantastic dynamic SP campaign is what you should be buying it for -- if you are a person that has to have the most ultimate graphics and flight modeling, then it wont be for you (though I feel on the latter point, WOFF UE is still pretty good to me ).

Last edited by Redwolf; 11/24/18 09:43 PM.

Win10/ i5-7600/ 16GB RAM/ GTX1660 Super
#4450379 - 11/25/18 12:27 AM Re: IL-2:GB, RoF - up to 66% OFF. [Re: Redwolf]  
Blade_Meister Offline
Blade_Meister  Offline

Atlanta, GA, USA
Originally Posted by Redwolf
It doesn't require that you have it physically installed - nor does it need any disk or anything, so you are going to be fine whatever your situation (whether you lost your old cd or whatever that may be). smile
(keep in mind it won't have the level of amazing graphics that 1C has, nor quite the flight modeling precision (but it is still very very decent) - it's strength is the feeling of being a pilot in a living, breathing believable war rather than just simulating flying a individual plane - it's completely believable and extremely well modeled AI and fantastic dynamic SP campaign is what you should be buying it for -- if you are a person that has to have the most ultimate graphics and flight modeling, then it wont be for you (though I feel on the latter point, WOFF UE is still pretty good to me ).

What he said!!! hahaha Honestly, I have more fun and actually fly both WOFF UE and WOTR more than any other flight sim. Neither have the best graphics nor flight model, but the feeling of being in a simulated CFS Aerial War Squadron are the best. WOFF UE being even better than WOTR, but that is simply because WOTR is so early in it's existence and only has 2 planes to use as of now. The AI in both are worth the price of entry. yep

S!Blade<><

Last edited by Blade_Meister; 11/25/18 12:28 AM.

Moderated by  CyBerkut, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.