Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4450032 - 11/22/18 07:27 PM The Three Frustrations of Melquiades Estrada  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

I flew three fairly frustrating mission earlier today due to a couple of factors:
1. The inadequate comms system. The voices are great, but there needs to be a lot more stuff to do. I should be able to get the vector and approximate height of bandits, vector to home base, vector to friendlies and at least be able to call out that I see bandits (even if it doesn't really "do" anything in game yet...) And I suppose call for help without having selected a target (I'm not sure if this actually works or not...) My first two missions we arrived at the patrol point only to have flight leader call "Bandits direction unknown" and the the entire flight disappear on me because of

2.) The fog, which AI can see through but I can't. The first two missions, I could kind of see where the bandits were because the dots would intersect part of my plane, but when I zoomed in on the view, I could not see them in the fog. This did not stop my flight from diving down and disappearing on me, which led to a frustratingly comical series of radio messages where my squadmates either called out that "I'm on the blighter!" or "Clear my tail!" without me being able to do a single thing either way. On the last mission, the leader actually gave me directions which allowed me to get in on the attack, but as the video shows, I could not really track my targets because they blended in with the background. They weren't in the fog, mind you, it's just that there isn't a big enough difference between the aircraft texture surface and the fog background, which "reads" as a solid grey from any kind of a distance. Maybe if DX 11 comes in, this will resolve itself in a more metal-y plane or a more translucent fog, but in the meantime, it would be nice if the fog's opacity was reduced or maybe an option to turn it off? I don't know what the best answer is but maybe even some information on what the underlying issues are would help me understand...

None of this is game breaking, of course, but it is a thing...

ps. I know that is only two frustrations, but I thought that the three missions that they occurred in would give me cover to use an obscure movie reference...

The older I get, the more I realize I don't need to be Han, Luke or Leia. I'm just happy to be rebel scum...
#4450213 - 11/23/18 06:22 PM Re: The Three Frustrations of Melquiades Estrada [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Adding even more complex comms on top of the fairly cool ones that are in there is a big job. Recording the zillion sounds alone is a mammoth task.
Sure with more money we can add more features. Same old thing, we have very limited resources ; time and money, apart from that sure biggrin
We can add super comms and forget the Spitfire maybe. Sure would save a lot of heartache for me!

These are not technical problems but feature requests of course.

BTW you can make aircraft more shiney which may help with part of that. Set it in Workshops top right, I set "Eviron Reflections" to 8 and "Glossiness" to 6.

Last edited by Polovski; 11/23/18 06:23 PM.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4450235 - 11/23/18 08:14 PM Re: The Three Frustrations of Melquiades Estrada [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

I have played around with the glossiness, which is cool, but I will give your settings a try. And for the record, I would rather have robust comms built in and pay for the Spitfire, I think it would make a much stronger game in the long run. As for voices, I am still ready to volunteer for whenever the Yanks get there! I understand it all takes clock cycles, and am patient and looking to support where I can, I think these are a few of the main remaining issues before the core game is realized. I did have someone comment on a video the other day about never having heard about the game and bringing up the "Man, this should be on Steam" point again. ..just to mention it... salute

The older I get, the more I realize I don't need to be Han, Luke or Leia. I'm just happy to be rebel scum...
#4450240 - 11/23/18 08:45 PM Re: The Three Frustrations of Melquiades Estrada [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Panama Red Offline
Panama Red  Offline

Irmo, SC, USA
If they sell a Steam version, just make sure OBD sells a NON-Steam version too for those of us who do not want or like Steam in any shape or form.

CPU = i9 11900K
GPU = RTX 3080 Ti
Monitor = ASUS ROG Swift PG32UQX 2160p G-sync

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.