Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 576 of 608 1 2 574 575 576 577 578 607 608
#4447281 - 11/06/18 08:06 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) **** [Re: SNAFU]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
OG,

I learned something, too. I thought the first fare paying journey was on the opening of the Manchester - Liverpool inauguration but that was the first scheduled fare paying service in 1830. 'Catch Me Who Can' pre-dated that journey by 22 years.

'Find your enemy and shoot him down - everything else is unimportant.'

Manfred von Richtofen
---------------------------

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4447771 - 11/09/18 03:30 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

We have an overcast and chilly day today. Quite a bit of rain predicted by the weather Ouija Board crowd . A glance at the RADAR proves they aren't kidding.

The Christmas season is when I think of trains. I remember my own trains and the hours of fun I had with them.I still have my American Flyer engine in storage. I had the transformer and most of the track until a decade ago. Now I enjoy watching the little kids setting up their tracks by the tree. I'll grow older but never grow up.

I don't know about you fellows but I could use a little Christmas right this very minute. I hope all of you have a Merry little Christmas, only bigger.

I need to hear some sleigh bells ringing, a little boy drumming, and some jingling bells. I wish to feel the magnificent grandeur of a silent night.

I'd enjoy music from the Nutcracker and that very special snowy song by Bing from "Holiday Inn". A note or two from that Holly Jolly fellow who sang so well and acted too, would be nice right now.

Let's hear some silver bells tringerlinging. O Tannenbaum would boost my spirits and bring joy to my world. I'll have a blue Christmas unless Arthur Fiedler's orchestra plays Winter wonderland... probably my favorite.

I'd love to hear that several times before Gene Autry sings Here comes Santy Claus.

Yup. I need a little Christmas this very minute. 🎄 🎼 ☃️

Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019
#4447993 - 11/10/18 11:29 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

OK, I've lived nearly all my life south of the Mason Dixon Part of my schooling was in Michigan and it gets pretty cold up there in winter. I've never been to Alaska but I have been inside a freezer locker several times. I've no experience in the Arctic to brag about. I did fall (or likely was pushed) into the Tar River on Christmas break back in 1959.That is something cold enough to remember the rest of your life.

Tonight we will have our first really cold weather of the fall. A killing frost that will permanently end the growing season in NC for 2018. It may not sound like cold to you if you a member of the Polar Bear Club and live in Denmark, Canada or Alaska. If you were stationed as outdoors pool lifeguard at Mcmurdo during an exceptional cold snap you may yawn and think that's not cold. But, friend, waking up in the south not long ago the low was in the 60 F. at night, to a brisk, mercury diving temp of 27°F. - 2 C, that gets your attention. 😵

Tomorrow is Veterans Day. As part of your homage to our military men and women and their service to our country you may like to watch this doc. on YouTube. It chronicles the air war in WW2. I liked it. Mostly color footage taken of that war. It is mostly about the Eighth AF and why the job the fighters and bombers did so well with great sacrifice of men and material was necessary if D-Day would be successful. After the advent of the long range Mustang and before D-Day, those bombers were used as bait to lure the German fighters up, especially over Berlin which Hitler had to defend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUG5SV2Ydrs

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019
#4448299 - 11/12/18 05:29 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

It WAS very cold outside last night. As I climbed into my warm bed I couldn't help thinking about those less fortunate who had no food and shelter much less a warm bed. This morning early, I received several texts from my son. They had found a dead body on one of his sub contractor's work sites this morning. This could be foul play, weather related or anything. Cause of death has not been established at this time. In just a few moments of finishing reading his texts I received a notification on my phone from WRAL NEWS in Raleigh confirming what the texts had said.

My son was supposed to have the day off for Veterans Day (observed). Today was also the first day he was in charge of the entire municipal construction department. As his boss, a civil engineer, has left for greener pastures with another municipality. What a way to begin new responsibilities. I reminded him, before he might start complaining, that however difficult it might be for him it was a far worse morning for the deceased.

I've had a less dramatic and deadly experience similar to this. I was applying for a new job. Once hired, the next thing out of my new boss's mouth was something like "OH, by the way, you new yearly budget is due tomorrow; get cracking." That budget turned out to have more pages than most of the books I've read. It wasn't finished the next day but soon enough.

My boy does not enjoy dealing with the press. Does anyone? He's a surveyor and dept head by trade and he can also operate any heavy equipment on the job site including heavy, commercial drones. He has no training in PR whatsoever. Take it from me, you definitely need training to appear comfortable on camera and to function satisfactorily for both sides.

I know I didn't enjoy talking to the press, especially on camera. But I did it because it was part of the job... sometimes. Most times the PR dept. did most of that for me. Fortunately for my son, the city of Durham, NC has a public relations dept. under their HR dept. Unless things escallate in some unimaginable way my son won't be troubled by the press or the press troubled by him much on his first stressful day in his new job.

I had many hours of professional instruction in press relations on and off camera during my career. This means role playing with a pro taking the part as interviewer in an adversarial press senario. Yup, I was well prepared so I could safely and openly (in most cases) deal even with a hostile press if it ever came to that. It never did, though I did deal with the press on several occasions.

Once Bobbi Batista from CNN interviewed me. Her angle ( I had been careful to ask) was that retailers seemed to be pushing the holiday season earlier and earlier, closer and closer to Halloween in fact. Knowing the angle, I was bale to truthfully answer and deflect any supposed negatives that might have come up with truthful statements.

That night, my little son, my inlaws and my wife were watching the news when Miss Batista and I were on camera. My son saw me and ran to the TV calling "Daddy, Daddy." Bumping into the screen first, he looked back at his mom as if to say "Where's my Daddy?" Then he went around back of the console TV calling me. He clearly did not understand how TVs works at that time.

Maybe you have had similar experiences in your work? Perhaps your job had higher public visibility than mine? Maybe you had to deal with stickier problems than I ever faced. I was luckier than some of my predecessors. We had a sniper incident in one of our malls less than a decade prior to when I came on the scene. I've often wondered how I might have dealt with that one? The guy in charge then had no PR training. In fact that was the reason those of us coming after him got intensive training. He had done a fantastic job nonetheless.

I watched the movie "The Accountant" last night. Good action movie starring Ben Affleck. I had several accountants, including a personal
one. After watching that movie, I sure am glad I was nice to all of them.

Last edited by Jolly Roger Two; 11/12/18 05:38 PM. Reason: Rampant Stupidity

#4448813 - 11/15/18 03:26 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Evening, y'all,

Think that after tonight. the freezes will be over before noon tomorrow, with any luck by the time most folks have finished breakfast.
OK, it was just a series of 13 hour freezes here, nothing like they are used to up North.
But let's face it, homes here are not built as they are in Maine, nor are folks conditioned to it as up there, when one could go and stand a few minutes in shirtsleeves.

Yeah, I'm a woose now and a lot older. Not sure how much wiser.

But there is a pair of thick gloves and at least a coat, a gimmie cap and an emergency blanket in the car.
Need to replace the blanket I gave away from the other.
Yep, the scraper is still there but the small shovel is missing.

Don't carry boots or much in emergency tools anymore as I don't wander much and I think the lantern has been gone for a while.
The safety box is in one of the cars, needed in all, as well as a light and some sort of knife.
Hope I never need the missing fire extinguisher in either car.
But best check on that flashlight, batteries removed.

I see JRT has been dealing with the same type weather, if on different days.

Hope your son has made it through the press days all right. We need those folks, but some can be nasty and partisan. Others heaven-sent.
In my jobs I've always kept a low profile and tried to stay off the papers.

The need for a little Christmas music is understandable. But the torrent of it? I am not missing that yet.
I am not even through with the Halloween candy and definitely not ready to talk turkey yet.

Think it's time to find the latest Bill Grant joke. smile

#4449089 - 11/16/18 10:42 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
Hello Chaps,

Just returned from 5 days in Derbyshire with a list of 'things to do' including send an email to JRT which I should have done last week.

Brought back a stick with many episodes of 'Breaking Bad' which I have heard a lot about. They seem an awfully violent bunch of chaps. I wonder what their mother's made of it all?

I intended to trade in my Burns bass for an Ibanez but have found that by the simple expedient of changing from flat wound to some old round wound strings the overall sound has been transformed to the extent that I will probably stick with it. Might even go to the expense of buying a new set from Ebay.

Manfred von Richtofen

#4449112 - 11/17/18 01:58 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

I don't think that I got that mail Dux, but if I did, I forgot it. Been having some problems with G Mail. Only on my phone. The app isn't syncing. I get an error message something like, "Your connection isn't private your mail is safe we just won't let you read it. The gist of it is they think someone tried to send me a malicious e-mail and they shut me down to protect me. I hope I don't have to do a factory reset. I can send and receive on the computer.

This morning, I booted up right into a black screen hiding behind the lock screen. Had to get tech help to solve that. When I got back into Windows I found Chrome would no longer work. I have had to uninstall reinstall Chrome. I'm still fiddling with it to get it the way I had it. I'll still be doing that tomorrow.

I do not know what caused this. There was a small update on "Patch Tuesday" (second Tues. every month). However I had no problems until today. i have still not gotten Windows version 1809. That was released again this week but slowly at first. That must be embarrassing.

The last two big feature updates from MS have caused problems including a biggie in 1809 , data loss. MS was informed by users and even Windows insiders about the problem but it was released anyway. They need less non critical updates and better quality control if you ask me...and no one did.

Fittop:

Everyone seems to have an agenda these days. Watch Fox, watch MS NBC and it is clear. We are more divided politically today than ever. Soon we will be known as TSUS The Slightly United States. I hope not. If you can, and have not, watch that "Medal of Honor" series on Netflix. You may need a hanky after watching some of them. Incredible heroics.

Computer problems can be upsetting. But friends, Thanksgiving is next week, and I'll still have an abundance of things to be thankful for

#4449236 - 11/17/18 08:59 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
Chaps,

Sorry to learn of your problems Rog. I have stopped using any email services which are associated with Microsoft for reasons which it would be too tedious to relate.

I want to re-assure you old pal, that I had nothing to do with any malware which might have caused your problems. Heavens above! Why on earth would I want to send you a compressed video file of Roman gladiators in bondage, being flogged by buxom Christian slave-girls? The very idea would be repugnant to me!

Oh...BTW...I hope you haven't Ebayed your defib unit yet because of the content of my forthcoming email featuring...er...you know who.

Manfred von Richtofen

#4449249 - 11/17/18 11:05 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Don't worry about it. I have backed up most everything. It just takes time to get back to what passes for normal. No one here is one of the usual suspects. Of course if your conscious is bothering you...... winkngrin

I am seriously looking forward to that e-mail and finding out what your lovely live avatar "K" has been up to.

#4449250 - 11/17/18 11:07 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

This post was lost when SimHQ shut down for maintenance this afternoon.

Another cold night (30's F./ 1 C.±). Chilly mornings usually follow cold nights. That is so today. A brilliant sun beams down upon our little corner of the world. The high is expected to be around 55° F./ 12 C. Our sky is clear and, as usual, there is no snow on the grass or anywhere else within miles and miles of here AFAIK.

Dux:

So glad to have you drop by a bit more often. What a regular traveler you have become. I hope your brother is OK and all is well in the Peaks Dist. Do you miss the old digs much or are you still drunk with the sheer happiness of the new ones in Wales? Any luck convincing your brother to move to Wales?

I don't travel much these days. Mostly it is just up or down stairs. I used to travel quiet a bit. Sometimes, it was just for fun. On these special occasions, when I returned to hearth and home, it often slowly occurred to me that if I'd known what a great place home was, I'd have stayed there. Home to me was always where my wife was. She was always the warming heart of our home.

We can get so used to everyday things, even the best ones, so that we may tend to take them for granted..... until, for some reason, we find we dearly miss them. If for some reason we do not meet again before Thanksgiving Day, don't forget to eat your turkey.

Speaking of which. A friend somehow forgot his office gifted frozen turkey that had been hurriedly stashed in the trunk of his car on Christmas Eve. It was an unseasonably warm Christmas that year. So he instantly remembered that bird three days later when he got in that car..... did he ever.

You might remember that episode of the popular TV show "WKRP In Cincinnati" where station manager Carlson threw out free turkeys from a hovering helicopter to a large crowd gathered in a shopping center parking lot. It was a disaster. A desperately sorry Carlson's last line was something like, "As God is my witness, nobody told me turkeys can't fly".

No one ever tried that at any of our malls,or anything like it. However, several malls and strip centers did bring in Santa by helicopter. Right up until an unfortunately tall Santa somewhere in the US or Canada lost an arm waving to the crowd. No more helicopters were ever used to bring Santa by anyone in the industry after that real tragedy. I won't even elaborate on what happened when some thoughtless strip center idiots hired a skydiving Santa. The horror. You guessed it. They never could use that suit again.

Our family grew tired of turkey and trimmings every Thanksgiving and Christmas too. For the last decade of her life, my wife had an easier day, free from cooking on Thanksgiving Day. We and our extended family had a Pig Pickin' on that most festive American holiday. I could tell she appreciated that luxury. Something denied so many good cooks. Most of whom probably didn't mind that much being in the kitchen all day at all.

#4449398 - 11/19/18 02:17 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks :

Another cold night ahead. Sometime we have short-sleeve weather on Thanksgiving week.🔆 Maybe you expect snow or have snow this holly day week? Maybe we will too? With the changing climate it seems anything is possible. It has rained fish before so it could be monkeys next.

My grandson got a big four pointer buck today. He was so very pleased with himself. We have meat in the freezer tonight . It is my opinion that you should ALWAYS eat what you shoot or leave it be.

If hunters did not thin the deer herds then nature surely would do it with starvation and disease. Hunting is well managed in our state and brings much revenue that is used to benefit wildlife. My son failed to get anything again today. He did see a buck at a great distance.

He had his .308 Remington Woodsmaster and not his .300 Win Mag. so he didn't take the shot. He'll have the latter rifle with him next weekend.

I found an extension I was using in Chrome is no longer available today. One I lost with the uninstall reinstall of the browser. My Firefox icon was missing from the task bar as well. All I had to do was find it in the programs folder and send a new icon to the desktop. It works fine again. Odd that. My AV stuff finds nothing. With so many password protected files the AV can't search who knows if something is there? The firewall is extra active. The notifications look like false positives to me. With thousands of files how can I know what each one does and if I want it to call home? 🤔

#4449474 - 11/19/18 05:25 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
Hi Chaps!

Just sent the email Rog with a few pics. Strong wind today and very cutting but bright and sunny again. No evidence of fishing with such a chill from the east.

All those friends with initial interest in this area have backed off one by one but brother Al would come down if he could. With it being such a life changing decision, I suppose they considered it to be too big a step to take although loved visiting the area.

Manfred von Richtofen

#4449484 - 11/19/18 06:01 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Dux:

Thanks for the pix. The name threw me though. You have two more e-mails requesting verification. That guy could not still be among the living. He was a fighter pilot in WW 2. winkngrin

#4449503 - 11/19/18 08:27 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
Chaps,

Absolutely correct JRT. Top scoring Polish fighter pilot of the Battle of Britain. 303 Squadron! Had he lived, he would have been excluded from the Victory Parade at the end of WWII along with all the other Polish nationals who escaped to the UK to continue the fight against the oppressors of their mother country.

To his lasting disgrace, (IMHO) Churchill forbade them from participating lest it inflamed the sensitivities of a Soviet instalment of Hitler.

Manfred von Richtofen

#4449507 - 11/19/18 08:39 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Gentlemenses,

yes. Unfortunately history has not been kind to those who continued the fight in exile. Poles, Czechs, etc. Mankind has a pretty dismal record in many areas.

But I do like steam engines. Every holiday season I remember my father and his Lionel trains. Grew up with them and they have a tight grip on my heart.

Lovely weather for the last two weeks. And then it goes wobbly for my flight to KFHB Fernandina Beach, Florida on Thursday. Thanksgiving with wife’s side. Return on Sunday doesn’t look good either. At least my wife is now more accepting of less than ideal weather.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4449637 - 11/20/18 03:40 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Dux / OG:
Churchill was a great wartime leader, and SFAIK never actually claimed to be, perfect. He definitely was wrong about those brave men. It was politically expedient not to risk angering Stalin. Later on, he seems to have changed his mind after Stalin grabbed every inch of post war Europe he could get his blood stained hands on.. That was clear when he made his famous "Iron Curtain" speech.

#4450340 - 11/24/18 05:44 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

I hope you all have recuperated from overdosing on turkey by now. If not, you have a few weeks before the next feast. A few more days of hash on my breakfast cereal and I will also be over the abundance of my Thanksgiving feasting. How blessed we Americans are.

The others are away visiting up north. My step grandson is about to graduate from Navy boot camp at Great Lakes. I have been left to keep the house from being stolen and to care for the menagerie of critters in their absence.

This is a day filled with grayness, cold and rain. I took the big dog out on his morning attempt at watering the entire lawn about 8. As I said, there was rain. So I donned my rain gear, gloves and took the umbrella out of my closet. Bad choice about the umbrella.

I hitched up the dog to the leash, unlocked the door and we stepped out onto the deck into the drizzle. I opened the brolly and that was when things went so terribly wrong.

You see, it is not my usual chore to take out the dogs. Turns out for such a simple task, I was woefully unprepared. Someone should have told me Leo was so dreadfully afraid of umbrellas.

At the SNAP! of my umbrella opening, poor Leo took off like a shot down the many steps to the ground. This was with such suddenness and power that I was unprepared for it. Out of my grip went the spring controlled leash handle. That went one way. Off ran the terrified Leo clean across the wet lawn another way. Off I went down the slippery steps two at a time. Soon Leo and the leash handle were travelling rapidly in the same direction. Away from that umbrella.

I shouted and Leo stopped running. Had he not stopped he might be really wet and passing Jen's house about now. I was on the ground and walking across the wet grass toward poor Leo. I was speaking softly to the frightened dog in what I figured was a soothing voice. I was just within reach of the leash handle and had bent over to grab it .... when the dratted dog took off again dragging the handle out of my reach. Yes, it was still raining and I clearly heard that someone had started cursing under his breath.

Leo stopped again, the rain and cursing did not. This time I managed a soggy, splashing dive for the handle and got it just in time. A firm grip assured me that Leo would not be able to repeat his previous sprint across the soggy lawn. I took the animal in tow and soon he was safe back in the warm house. I was getting off my wet things and Leo the less than lion-hearted was busy licking his, well you know his private area and now and then giving me a sour look.

The comic Ron White said his wife's cooking was so bad his dog sluggo would only eat it under extreme duress or the gnawing hunger of starvation.

On one of those hungry days, Sluggo had just finished a bowlful of some awful stuff prepared by Ron's wife. He immediately proceeded to a carpeted ares of the floor, sat down and started licking his ass. "Ron, what is Sluggo doing that for?", asked the wife. "I dunno,", said Ron. "Maybe he's trying to get the bad taste out of his mouth?" winkngrin

#4450502 - 11/26/18 04:20 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all,

Doggone it, JRT...LOL...I thought I had heard most all of Ron White and that group of comics' jokes, but somehow I missed that one.
Now I am cleaning up a keyboard on which I spilled some stuff.

Had to rush since I had just had a little laugh at the lady's expense from a similar incident earlier and didn't want to get caught.
She, BTW, is the owner of a small collection of that group's antics on DVDs. That drawer is already past full and if she reads your piece she'll want to own a copy and I've already gotten her a Christmas present. -No need to spoil her. winkngrin

#4450584 - 11/26/18 04:57 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Another rain soaked day not quite perfect for walking the shaggy dogs.

My son was out early at RDU Airport this morning checking on his survey crews. Two F-15's (probably from Seymour Johnson) screamed over at sub sonic speed but at very low level. They must have had permission for a fly-by or else those pilots are likely to be par boiled in their own flight suits by some irate Colonel with a bad case of gout and a temper to match.

I'm told there is a video on YouTube that reportedly shows a fishing boat just off our Frying Pan Shoals. A pair of F-18's flying in their direction requests a radio check. Having received same, the pilots were asked for a low fly-by. They happily agree and did so right across the bow of the boat. "Hey, we thought you'd do that like Tom Cruise did in "Top Gun." radioed the skipper of the boat. "Roger that, will do." was the instant reply that crackled from the boat's radio. Within seconds, the two fighters streaked at low level straight across the boat from stern to bow.

At that, the pilots received great shouts of delight from the waving skipper and his crew. I have not yet seen this video but my son says he has.

Fittop:

So happy you got a good laugh out of that one. sorry about the keyboard. Mr. White has brought many a deep guffaw and belly laugh out of me in the past. I don't go along with folks saying "He made me laugh." I don't have to be made to laugh. I really want to laugh. All the time. Just give me a good reason. That's all it ever takes.

Of course there are times when we have a good reason but something tells us it isn't prudent to laugh. Like when your butter wouldn't melt in her mouth mother-in-law slips on some frozen spot on your walk and lands, unhurt, right on her fat "Ice". Most other times with such an excuse it is the perfect opportunity for gales of laughter.

BTW, Ron White has a new video on Netflix if you have not found it.

Have you seen the one in which Ron tells about his dog and it's rather eclectic eating habits? It seems Sluggo will eat almost anything he finds that won't try to bite him first. Well, in this tale of the dog, Ron is out walking Sluggo one night. As expected, Sluggo takes his usual time going from bush to tree to bush. He has learned that when he finally does his business, he quickly goes back inside the house.

Ron says that, after some urging, Sluggo finally gets down to business and does what needs to be done. Ron is ready with a low tech plastic bag for the cleanup. He stoops over and notices something odd. There is an inorganic item protruding from the steaming pile. Ron says that on close inspection, under the glare of his flashlight, there clearly is something written on it. Getting as close as his nose will allow, Ron squints hard and tries his best to read the inscription. No joy. He cannot quite make it out.

You see, Ron explains, this is because he simply cannot read SH**t without his glasses. winkngrin

#4450784 - 11/27/18 07:19 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Has anyone seen Jens in the past several weeks? Danes probably don't observe Thanksgiving as we do and certainly not on the same date. So, I doubt he has OD'd on turkey and cranberry sauce. He's too health conscious for that anyway.

The Danish weather may not permit his regular cycling regime. So perhaps he is pedaling vigorously on his indoor bike? According to HealthStatus, a 145-pound person burns around 231 calories in 30 minutes of pedaling moderately and around 374 calories in 30 minutes of pedaling vigorously. Jens would fall into the latter category and I doubt he'd stop pedaling anywhere close to just one half hour.

Because 3,500 calories equals about 1 pound (0.45 kilogram) of fat, it's estimated that you need to burn about 3,500 calories to lose 1 pound of fat. Jens is so fit he may not have 3500 calories of fat on his entire body.

Not even after the Christmas feast. So what is he burning doing all that pedaling? Perhaps he eats while exercising? If he has been fatter than I expect and he has exercised diligently, as I know he likes to do. Using the formula above, he's likely burned off thousands of calories since we heard form him.

Adding and subtracting on my fingers, and figuring conservatively, our un-melancholy Dane must weigh only about 10 pounds right now. winkngrin

Page 576 of 608 1 2 574 575 576 577 578 607 608

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.