Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#4448341 - 11/12/18 09:26 PM Re: So EA has droped the bait. [Re: Blade_RJ]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

EA has already been pushing their subscription model with their sports games. They generally take the game off the servers after a few years. Some of the games required online connections to properly play and are rendered unplayable.

EA is probably the worst dev for being anti consumer rights. They can do it because they are so big. I wish somehow, some way that their big franchises could be wrestled from their grips and we could have open competition for sports games again.

This new subscription issue will only make things worse IMO but time will tell.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4448344 - 11/12/18 09:35 PM Re: So EA has droped the bait. [Re: Blade_RJ]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
My problem with disposable games is that it's just not in my personality to think of them as temporary. I've seen it posted, "Who cares if activation for game x is no longer supported? It's so old anyway...time to move on."

My old movies, music, games, and even my women (lol) continue to give me much enjoyment. When I *really* like something, I never become bored with it...ever! This personality flaw keeps me from wanting to try new games with strings attached that can potentially make them unplayable in the future (if decades later). But that's been the case for years now.

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#4448354 - 11/12/18 11:07 PM Re: So EA has droped the bait. [Re: Blade_RJ]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
No problem for me, as I saw the handwriting on the wall years ago and personally disposed of EA completely.

They have NOTHING I need or am interested in.

Same for Ubi and all others like them.

Real life offers some great diversions and, sometimes it even delivers REAL rewards...try it sometime.

I do enjoy some gaming. It's a diversion, not a life and, I do NOT enjoy being played the fool by corporate, cookie counting, space fillers.

Luckily, all this drivel affects my life not at all.

Myself and others here told you all this crap was coming many YEARS ago.

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4448372 - 11/13/18 12:40 AM Re: So EA has droped the bait. [Re: Nixer]  
Blade_RJ Offline
Simhq Weather man, dropping rain in your parade
Blade_RJ  Offline
Hotshot

brasil
Originally Posted by Nixer

Real life offers some great diversions and, sometimes it even delivers REAL rewards...try it sometime.

I do enjoy some gaming. It's a diversion, not a life

moooooooooooooooom, granpa is not taking his meds again !

#4448379 - 11/13/18 01:17 AM Re: So EA has droped the bait. [Re: Blade_RJ]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees

LOL

I am a very happy 67 years old and am on ZERO prescription medication.

My new doctor was quite amazed, says nobody my age isn't medicated.

What's your excuse M8?

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4448410 - 11/13/18 04:58 AM Re: So EA has droped the bait. [Re: Blade_RJ]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
biggrin Nixer. You're inspirational, man. cheers

The sun is in the east
#4448456 - 11/13/18 02:55 PM Re: So EA has droped the bait. [Re: Blade_RJ]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
I think the easiest way you can draw the distinction with "ownership" is that the consumer owns only the actual physical media that the intellectual property resides in. So you own the plastic disc known as the CD/DVD but that's it.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4448490 - 11/13/18 05:26 PM Re: So EA has droped the bait. [Re: Blade_RJ]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
LOL, PM. I don't think anyone has ever had delusions that they actually own the rights to the contents of what's on those cheap plastic discs biggrin

But to say that all you own is cheap plastic discs is silly (if I understood you correctly). Someone stealing your brand new spindle of 100 blank CDs or DVDs is not going to incite the same emotional response as someone stealing 100 of your store bought CDs or DVDs, right?

The real measure of ownership to me is if a third party can, on a whim, keep me from enjoying my media. And if I can will my stuff to someone.

The sun is in the east
#4448492 - 11/13/18 05:34 PM Re: So EA has droped the bait. [Re: MarkG]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by MarkG

The real measure of ownership to me is if a third party can, on a whim, keep me from enjoying my media. And if I can will my stuff to someone.

Ok, I get your point now and I agree!

This problem also exists for those people who rely entirely on streaming services for their movies and tv shows since the streaming service can and often does drop content from their site.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4448500 - 11/13/18 06:01 PM Re: So EA has droped the bait. [Re: Blade_RJ]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Thinking specifically of music...

Observations of my nieces and nephews, and now their children, it makes sense to me for young people to stream music, especially if they haven't invested in a comprehensive "record collection."

I'm too old (51) and set in my ways to even think about streaming music when I have almost everything I'd ever want to listen to on CDs (burned to lossless -> MP3). This is especially the case now with my hearing issues (with frequency range, not volume...as in "That sounds flat" vs. "What? what?"). I may never hear music as I once did (although hearing improved, but not much) and I think my brain sometimes fills in the missing notes from memory as I've listened to the same music for decades. No desire at all to expand my horizons with anything new (what streaming would give me) because I won't hear and enjoy it the way I should anyway.

My case may be rare, but I see now why an older person may seem inflexible sometimes and want to stick with what they're comfortable with.

The sun is in the east
#4448502 - 11/13/18 06:09 PM Re: So EA has droped the bait. [Re: MarkG]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA

My case may be rare, but I see now why an older person may seem inflexible sometimes and want to stick with what they're comfortable with.

People like you and me and I would also say most of us on SimHQ are in the far minority now when it comes to how music is consumed. The overwhelming majority of the mainstream consumer market now streams music exclusively because of the convenience factor (you can play it on your phone and tablet wherever you are) and also because people simply prefer to listen to the individual songs they like instead of listening to whole albums. I need to dig up the article but I recently read a report on the music industry which stated that about 70% of the revenue for the music recording industry now comes from streaming.

#4448544 - 11/13/18 09:59 PM Re: So EA has droped the bait. [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Blade_RJ Offline
Blade_RJ  Offline
Hotshot

brasil
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
I think the easiest way you can draw the distinction with "ownership" is that the consumer owns only the actual physical media that the intellectual property resides in. So you own the plastic disc known as the CD/DVD but that's it.

you dont even own the cds, they are patented and the name CD is trademarked. lol that is why its always written on labels. i dont know the legal mumbo jumbo on itunes and the like, but all my cds had a small print saying basically that only i and i alone can consume the contents of the disc....so if you put the cd on your car and someone next to you hear the song ? ILLEGAL.
good luck going after that though.

Last edited by Blade_RJ; 11/13/18 10:01 PM.
#4448795 - 11/15/18 01:38 AM Re: So EA has droped the bait. [Re: Blade_RJ]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
I don't know the letter of the law but I do know that your CDs are your property, at least the law sees it that way (if they're ever stolen and there's a chance of getting your property back).

For that matter, do you really own property if you're still paying a mortgage? And even if you're not, if you stop paying taxes it'll be taken away from you so do you really own it?

The sun is in the east
#4448799 - 11/15/18 02:34 AM Re: So EA has droped the bait. [Re: MarkG]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

Some states dont have property tax.

#4448851 - 11/15/18 12:08 PM Re: So EA has droped the bait. [Re: Master]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Master
Some states dont have property tax.

It's a very tiny minority though. I believe it's only 5.

#4448862 - 11/15/18 01:48 PM Re: So EA has droped the bait. [Re: MarkG]  
Blade_RJ Offline
Blade_RJ  Offline
Hotshot

brasil
I don't know the letter of the law but I do know that your CDs are your property, at least the law sees it that way (if they're ever stolen and there's a chance of getting your property back).

For that matter, do you really own property if you're still paying a mortgage? And even if you're not, if you stop paying taxes it'll be taken away from you so do you really own it?

truth is the only thing you own is food because they can't take it back after you consume it (untill they get serious about recycling fertilizing,then your poop will belong to state). You buy a property but in reality it is only leased to you by the state, and they can claim it back, if they ever need for urban reconstruction etc. The lands the state provide you belong to federal, wich can also claim it back from states if they need it.

Last edited by Blade_RJ; 11/15/18 01:50 PM.
#4448869 - 11/15/18 02:22 PM Re: So EA has droped the bait. [Re: Blade_RJ]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Ice Cold in Alex or Eating in ...
Originally Posted by Blade_RJ

truth is the only thing you own is food because they can't take it back after you consume it (untill they get serious about recycling fertilizing,then your poop will belong to state). You buy a property but in reality it is only leased to you by the state, and they can claim it back, if they ever need for urban reconstruction etc. The lands the state provide you belong to federal, wich can also claim it back from states if they need it.

My father suffered a compulsory purchase order on his business as the local govt. wanted his land for putting in a new road, we lived with the threat of that for many years and finally in 1972 the local govt. dropped the hammer and we had to sell up. It put my family out of work along with another 15 employees, but with the money offered we, as a family, looked at buying a hotel and we found one in Tain:

Mansfield House Hotel (Now known as Mansfield Castle Hotel)
[Linked Image]

My father and the owner had struck a deal and agreed on a price, then the local Govt. backed down on coughing up the money they had agreed to pay my father and delayed it for over a year which meant that we could not buy that hotel. So the search went on and finally we got a hotel a bit further north in Wick which we went on to purchase.

Queens Hotel
[Linked Image]

For more than 30 years the site of where my father's garage was lay vacant and unused finally a few years ago the local Govt. sold off parcels of the land to build private houses cuss2

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron
#4448872 - 11/15/18 02:44 PM Re: So EA has droped the bait. [Re: Blade_RJ]  
Blade_RJ Offline
Blade_RJ  Offline
Hotshot

brasil
sorry to hear about that, but yes the governament, always quick to claim, to take it sweet time to pay you.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.