Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#4450386 - 11/25/18 02:10 AM Re: Clockwork Angels - Final album from Rush [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
letterboy1 Offline
(Heterosexual)Tchaikovsky Ballet Fan
letterboy1  Offline
(Heterosexual)Tchaikovsky Ballet Fan
Lifer

Columbus, GA USA
Panzermeyer, at the risk of being a thread hijacker, check out this interpretation of "Back in NYC." Okay, so the singer used duct tape as a halter top, but I just love seeing the Genesis influence coming from unexpected directions! By the way, musically, it's solid. smile

The issue is not p*ssy. The issue is monkey.
#4450464 - 11/25/18 09:37 PM Re: Clockwork Angels - Final album from Rush [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
McGonigle Offline
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Offline
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
The problem with Clockwork Angels, at least the original release, in my humble opinion is that it has been massacred by way too much compresssion and as such it has been killed off by the Loudness Warriors. If you didn’t suffer from Tinnitus before, you will, after. This makes the album as it was originally released unlistenable for me.

Last edited by McGonigle; 11/25/18 09:38 PM.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4450476 - 11/25/18 11:03 PM Re: Clockwork Angels - Final album from Rush [Re: McGonigle]  
NH2112 Offline
Veteran
NH2112  Offline
Veteran

Jackman, ME
Originally Posted by McGonigle
The problem with Clockwork Angels, at least the original release, in my humble opinion is that it has been massacred by way too much compresssion and as such it has been killed off by the Loudness Warriors. If you didn’t suffer from Tinnitus before, you will, after. This makes the album as it was originally released unlistenable for me.

Yeah, I remember when I first listened to Vapor Trails and thought “this sounds like the stereo is buried in mud!” Everything was just kind of all running together, you couldn’t really hear the nuances that had always defined Rush. I realize that they changed their sound to a more stripped-down, raw version, but the production on their first few albums was outstanding and they were pretty stripped-down (compared to 80s Rush.) No, I think they just settled for someone who didn’t have an ear like Terry Brown or Peter Collins. Snakes & Arrows was better sounding, but like their other albums from Test For Echo onward nothing really grabbed me & spoke to me. Counterparts was the last album that had more songs that I liked than disliked.

Phil

“The biggest problem people have is they don’t think they’re supposed to have problems.” - Hayes Barnard
#4450551 - 11/26/18 01:27 PM Re: Clockwork Angels - Final album from Rush [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Thanks for all the input guys. I just have always found it fascinating how every composer of music regardless of genre tends to have a "golden age" period where they put out their best work and then it's all downhill afterwards.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4450835 - 11/28/18 02:00 AM Re: Clockwork Angels - Final album from Rush [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
wheelsup_cavu Offline
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Offline
Lifer

Corona, California
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Thanks for all the input guys. I just have always found it fascinating how every composer of music regardless of genre tends to have a "golden age" period where they put out their best work and then it's all downhill afterwards.

That seems to be the way with all professions. As you age your skills reach a certain plateau and even though they may stay stable for awhile they will eventually begin to slide.

Wheels

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

Mission4Today (Campaigns, Missions, and Skins for IL-2)
Planes of Fame Air Museum | March Field Air Museum | Palm Springs Air Museum
#4450895 - 11/28/18 05:25 PM Re: Clockwork Angels - Final album from Rush [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
My final thoughts on Clockwork Angels and Rush in general...

After visiting family left, I finished reading the book (it's been a long time). Lots of little surprises I'd forgotten, an enjoyable read. Can't wait to get the graphic novel.

Anyway, I've mentioned already that the Time Machine tour (2011?) was my favorite Rush show in regards to setlist and crowd energy (helped that the Saints had recently won the Super Bowl, town still partying). But they did introduce Caravan on that tour, the first track on Clockwork Angels. I thought it was...ok, much like One Little Victory and Far Cry, kinda sorta the same ol' rocking first tracks of later albums. But now when I listen to it now, I think of it as the beginning of a journey, imagining the 16 year-old Owen Hardy waiting on a hilltop in the wee hours of the morning for his girlfriend to show up, and then after realizing it's not going to happen, deciding to jump on a steampunk 'train' and explore the world outside of his own town for a couple of days. Little did he know that it wasn't her fault for not showing (she may or may not have wanted to, but couldn't) or that a man was on the 'train' who knew that Owen would probably be there at that exact time, extending his hand to help him aboard, encouraging his decision to go for it.

So when I listen to Caravan today, it's more than just the music, there's a context that I enjoy. Also, Halo Effect has become one of my all-time favorite Rush songs, but again with context. Rush doesn't really do love songs, the closest they come is maybe Tears (2112), Panacea in the middle of The Fountain of Lamneth (Caress of Steel), Ghost of a Chance (Roll the Bones), Resist (Test for Echo) and maybe a couple others that don't spring to mind. I don't skip those and very much enjoy them musically, a nice soft break on an otherwise hard album (especially the earlier albums). But Halo Effect has that tumultuous harder edge uncertainty that I enjoy in my love songs. biggrin I like sap too, but sap often lacks passion. Halo Effect invokes passion, IMO.

I may put Clockwork Angels aside for a while, but I'll always come back to the story...and accompanying music.

++++++++++

Rush was around for 40 years, part of my love of this band is that I can pick from so many albums depending on my mood. Some are objectively better than others, of course. But heck, I even get in the mood for some Test For Echo, especially after listening to Different Stages (TFE concert)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVeTx1L2zto

Catchy, IMO...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNTNbU8a4LY

And I can't make a road trip without playing this at least once... ("It's my turn to drive.")

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jPondwDDOE

+++++++++

My hearing has at least stabilized, right eardrum has healed (attached) enough to no longer sound like a busted speaker and left ear not as much tinnitus (or I've just become used to it). I'm enjoying music again, although it's not the same (still lacking in lower frequency ranges) and I can no longer tolerate high volume. Next audiologist appointment I'm going to be fitted for custom fitted/frequency ear plugs (~$150.00) and maybe one day I'll enjoy live music again, but never at front of stage where it's loudest. If I can keep the hearing I have now (even with the tinnitus), I'll be happy.

Anyway, surprisingly Clockwork Angels sounds pretty good to me right now, I need to give Vapor Trails another listen. I wonder if my degraded hearing makes this so, and if Rush's hearing problems (as mentioned in Neil's books) contribute to the way their albums sound. How much input would they have in the mixing and production?

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#4450896 - 11/28/18 05:30 PM Re: Clockwork Angels - Final album from Rush [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
One more off Clockwork Angels, what I consider a summary of the story...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcFGrWjOX0E

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.