Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4448289 - 11/12/18 03:55 PM Preferences for Mapping Top Hat Switch  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

This is intended for discussion of modern, 8-position top hats, specifically preferences for the Front (0 Deg) and Back (180 deg) positions, all the others being obvious. This is specifically in reference for snapwiews, in which case releasing the top hat returns one to straight-ahead view automatically.

I'm aware that these functions (and many more) are available on the keyboard, and are mappable/assignable to aux keypads.

I find that for most EAW planes, and with a view to keeping things intuitive (similar to the effects of moving the joystick joystick itself has on the aircraft as a whole), having the Front (0 Deg) top hat position give a (downwards) view of entire instrument panel, and BACK (180 Deg) top hat position give an UP view works best for me. In EAW, there are few planes where a conventional BACK view gives much more than a nice, uninformative, view of pilot's headrest. That seems to be very realistic, and I wouldn't want to "cheat" and have a full Back view unless such was historically accurate. Go ahead and mention the "Cheats", though, as I'm not perfect, either.

In another game, in which I was flying, say, an open-cockpit plane or a plane where a Back (180 Deg) view allowed a true Back view sans headrest, I would have the Front (0 Deg) button position move view UP, and Back (180 Deg) button position give a true view Back.

This is one of those instances where personal preference and longstanding habit obviously play a huge part. That being given due consideration by those responding, allow me to ask the following questions:

1) Am I "missing" some important views here; views that more experienced flyers have come to view as essential? I have additional non-top hat buttons on joystick, but want to reserve them for other functions unless a more essential need for use of a button presents itself.

2) If you had to start with EAW from the beginning, with present knowledge intact, but no longstanding, old habits to unlearn, how would you set up your top hat now? I understand that other games might demand other views/position mapping.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4448312 - 11/12/18 06:30 PM Re: Preferences for Mapping Top Hat Switch [Re: RIBob]  
MarkEAW Offline
MarkEAW  Offline

I think in one of the versions done by the code group, they did a look up and backwards view, for snaprear. However In the stock game I think it just looks straight back at the chair.
I don't remember off hand.

I'm sure you read my notes on the Joystick and Controls Help Document.
So I believe I only assigned one snap view to the Hat on the joystick and the rest where straight views.
Re-reading my notes, I'm having a hard time understanding them at first glance. (They can stand a proper re write in some fashion).

Maybe its been to long since I wrote it, but thats no excuse. I should be-able to pick up where I left off if I was a newbie going through the help doc.

Sorry not much help.

#4448332 - 11/12/18 08:21 PM Re: Preferences for Mapping Top Hat Switch [Re: MarkEAW]  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

Originally Posted by MarkEAW
I think in one of the versions done by the code group, they did a look up and backwards view, for snaprear. However In the stock game I think it just looks straight back at the chair.
I don't remember off hand.

I'm sure you read my notes on the Joystick and Controls Help Document.
So I believe I only assigned one snap view to the Hat on the joystick and the rest where straight views.
Re-reading my notes, I'm having a hard time understanding them at first glance. (They can stand a proper re write in some fashion).

Maybe its been to long since I wrote it, but thats no excuse. I should be-able to pick up where I left off if I was a newbie going through the help doc.

Sorry not much help.

Well, Mark, I intended no unfriendly criticism of your Help Site when posting my remarks. Wasn't even thinking about it when I posted this topic. Actually, my question is perhaps a bit beyond the direct purview of your Help Site, as it goes into flying EAW, not directly into setting it up. Sort of a gray area.

Mark, one of the things I like--no admire is a better word-- about you is that you receive well-intentioned criticism about your Help Site with great aplomb, and never a "#%&*$#-back". I know I make some stupid, or rivet-counting requests, but you have dealt with every single one in a polite and professional manner. You have even chosen to incorporate some of my suggestions into your Help Site, hopefully for the benefit of all.

The EAW community owes you a great deal, as do I. I would have never gotten EAW to run if not for your Help Site. No telling how many others are/were/will be in the same boat. I submit the will be folks will be the folks of most benefit to EAW community, and its future. Your Help Site is an invaluable aid to many present and future EAW sim players.

Thank you.

Last edited by RIBob; 11/12/18 08:55 PM.
#4448333 - 11/12/18 08:38 PM Re: Preferences for Mapping Top Hat Switch [Re: RIBob]  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

FWIW, language Bots are present, if not known already. My comment in above post translated to #%&*$#, was a common word beginning with "BI", and ending with "CH". Exact term for a female dog.

I mean no disrespect to Mods nor Admins, but did not know that such language Bots were employed on this Site/forum. I have no major objection, but just thought people unaware of this situation might want to be aware of it, so they can phrase their comments so as to not run afoul of the Bots.

I will try to restrain my usually florid language in order to comport to accepted forum usage, My apologies for using a forbidden term.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.