Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#4449215 - 11/17/18 07:14 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: letterboy1]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

These United States of America
I've upgraded the camp a little but thankfully it does not seem mandatory but it is useful to have extra ammo, medicines and food you can pick up before you head out. The ledger is kind of fun to see if any of those other rascalls have been contributing. I'll take a look at it and by my name(Arthur's name)you'll see donated 3 silver buckles, 2 gold wedding rings, platinum pocket watch and an extra 100 dollars. Then you'll see someone else donated 2 dollars and John Marston donated a pig skin worth 1.24. biggrin Time for ol' Arthur to keep a little more for himself I think lol. Plus I see Bill Williamson from time to time sneaking and borrowing from the camp funds.

Last edited by Coot; 11/17/18 07:16 PM.

John 10:1-30
Romans 10:1-13

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4449290 - 11/18/18 12:52 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: letterboy1]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
Looks like there are a couple of different trappers? The one i found was on top of a hill near the river, just after i killed a Legendary Bear.

I've just been free roaming in chapter 2 although i feel i am getting close to chapter 3 as i do a story line mission every now and again, up to getting ready for the train robbery where i have just stolen the oil coach. God, it took me forever to get used to the controller though. The first five or six play sessions i just wasn't enjoying it owing to being a full noob with it, kept punching my horse, shot it twice, opening the wrong items when in a panicky hold up or ambush. I ended up heading out away from any trails and practised my inventory, gunmanship and dead eye on birds and animals and just strolled around doing random stuff until it finally clicked. The views and sensitivity were throwing me as well, i've got it all ramped up now as it just felt god awful slow and laggish. The last two days the game has really come into it's own now that i can enjoy it and am not clicking madly in panic mode and getting frustrated.

Love the world, it feels alive, birds busting out of bushes, animals scattering everywhere, snakes and stuff in the undergrowth, rivers and streams and lakes alive with fish, the different ambient sounds. The map is magic as are the views and the skies, the sun busting through clouds and the different cloud formations are just wicked.. The only thing i would like to see changed is the speed of the day night cycle. I wish the day would at last at least twice as long instead of zapping by in 50 minutes. The time goes by to fast for me, small gripe for what i think overall is a fantastic Western game. The story seems cool so far, characters are pretty strong but the free roam and side missions is where it is at for me. I'm definitely plonking down a save in chapter three that i can go back to just for free roam fun when i finish the game.

I spent todays session learning my horses tricks and hunting down that Arabian up North West. Stabled my War horse and rounded up a wild Mustang just West of Valintine that i will level up once i have my Arabian at bonding 4. Looking at the map i still have half of it unseen so i'm looking forward to heading fully South and South West and up into the Snow for a proper explore. I've been to Rhodes and followed the lake all along the Eastern side so far and wandered into a bit of the map West where i managed a 300 dollar bounty because i accidentally kicked and killed a cat i was trying to pat. Ended up with twelves death on my conscience and every bounty hunter out for me over animal abuse biggrin Great game, i can see myself losing some serious time into it for a while. Why the heck has it taken so long for a good free roam western to come out, i imagine pc sales will go nuts when it comes out as well.

Managed to find my spirit animal in some foreboding clouds today, a majestic bird flew over myself and my horse, Dusty Bottoms

[Linked Image]

Burnt out town near the river, there is a gold bar in the sherrifs office if anyone is looking for a quick cash boost, Lympney i think the place is called.

[Linked Image]

First person is a bit meh, i struggle with it compared to standard pc games where i feel the view setups are just better. It feels a bit claustrophobic imo and i can't pan about smoothly or freely enough. In third person i give up looking around freely as i have stacked my horse way too many times so i feel a bit tunnel visioned as i have to move my horse where i want to see. I guess i'm too used to freelook in DayZ whilst running which was easy peasy. It seems i either have the camera on me and i go where i look or i have it off and i am having to constantly adjust movement and views seperately which isn't clicking with me...it all feels a bit counter intuitive. If anyone knows how to set up a really comfortable view system i am all ears as i feel that is my last hurdle in the game.

[Linked Image]

The views and viewing distance are second to none. Tthere is just so many cool random spots like this tree with bottles as if someone has been practising shooting, nothing feels copy pasted or out of place. So many cool little details everywhere and great for making a memory map of the world.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Besides the pump action shottie found at some random house with an old chick who thought i was dropping of stolen goods, i love the duel six shooters setup. I did the gunslingers missions to get the personalised shooters.

[Linked Image]

My favourite dog in Valentine, he gets a pat every time i go through.

[Linked Image]

Across this stretch of water..i'm a wanted man..

[Linked Image]

Scoped Varmint rifle i haven't even used yet

[Linked Image]

Another night at the saloon, when i walk through these doors i feel like Clint!

[Linked Image]

I still feel like i have a ton to learn and do. I haven't really hunted much yet, never fished, hardly sold or brought much, done some basic crafting and only a couple of bounties. Easily the best game i have played in the last couple of years, drips with atmosphere and hopefully this week i will be playing it on a 50 inch 4k screen as my lad wants a 34 inch curved 3k screen for himself so his 4k will be setup here in our pc room with the ps4 pro. Can't wait to see what it looks like in 4k! What a game hey lads:)

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

#4449295 - 11/18/18 01:29 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: letterboy1]  
archermav Offline
archermav  Offline

Black Country, England.
I've a question if I may. I went to the bar in Valentine re the gunslingers mission. I completed the first one, but no cannot work out how to access the remainder? Any help please. Also, don't forget that if you upgrade lodgings in camp then you can access Fast Travel.

#4449310 - 11/18/18 05:33 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: letterboy1]  
Trooper117 Online smile
Hotshot
Trooper117  Online Smile
Hotshot

UK
I just know I am going to buy this game at some stage!

#4449329 - 11/18/18 06:52 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: letterboy1]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

Great shots Ajay. LOL about your learning controls because that's how its been with me. I've got a good understanding now on controls but its still imperfect and after many, many hours(two weeks straight of playing) I'm still making mistakes. Just yesterday I tried the robbing mechanic for the first time at the Doctor's office in Valentine and I managed to fire off shots when I did not mean too. I feel the same way too about the day night cycle speed Ajay. I mentioned earlier too how I wish it was a bit slower. The map is huge with great volume. Even if you push yourself far enough over towards a side of the map to remove its obfuscation to clear the fog of war filter that does not mean you've seen it all. The fog lifts exponentially when you move into the map. I've got a large part of the map showing now but have only scratched the surface for the most part with regards to places I've actually been and seen. The view distance is great like you mentioned. I finally got up to a high place by myself yesterday (Mount Shaan I think its called) and the LOD detail is excellent. I could even see some wagons from that far away. Speaking to that though I love the weather and lighting. Sometimes visibility will be nothing and other times it will clear up.

I'm doing my best to just live in the world in and around Chapter 3 which I'm in. I look forward to seeing the original game's map world out West and I look forward to seeing how the deserts and weather are modeled out there in this game by I'm not in a hurry. In fact if people start posting pictures of that I'll probably disappear from the post for awhile as I don't want it spoiled for me. Speaking of places I like how every place and environment has its own personality. One beautiful effect I just love in Rhodes is how red and dusty everything is. I imagine Lemoyne is supposed to represent multiple Southern States but perhaps especially Georgia with its red clay. Anyhow the red dust actually gets blown around and through Rhodes quite often and you'll see a red dust layer start to cover your horse and your clothing.

Trying to be sensitive to anything thing that could be a spoiler(and for me that can even be the littlest of things so I hope we continue to be careful, maybe even hide certain images in a possible spoiler tag and description) I had one of the eeriest and creepy side missions I've had yet up in Mount Shaan on a debtor's mission for Strauss.

@archermav I'm not sure what you mean. I'll put this in spoiler tags since its an activity with story.
I just killed the first gunfighter on the train at Rhodes up on the roof. For me I have an icon on the map showing me where I can find the next one which I believe is "Black Bell". It has a white bubble icon with a black "BB" inside. Is that what you're asking about? I returned to Valentine after killing the first guy but the newspaper reporter is not there. I think we must have to take them all down before we can talk with him again. As far as I know the other last known locations for the gunfighters should be superimposed on your map. Maybe its that you need to look at your deck of cards the reporter gave you. If memory serves the first couple of locations did not appear on my map until I actually physically looked at the gunslinger cards in my inventory. When you do Arthur actually pulls them out so you can look at their image and the flip the card and read a little info about them. I think it works sort of like a mystery you are investigating.

#4449332 - 11/18/18 07:10 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: letterboy1]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

It may be of help to others if you happen to be struggling with accidental gun firing.

When your sidearm is holstered, if you tap or hold the right trigger button, Arthur will draw, cock and fire the weapon in one quick motion all the time. There's no "safety" mechanism or step here.

When your sidearm is holstered, if you hold down the left trigger which is the button used to lock onto characters for talking, you'll see the camera zoom in a little and the option to "aim weapon" in the lower right hand side appear. If you tap or hold the right trigger fire button, Arthur will then draw, cock and aim the weapon as before but he will NOT fire. You can continue to aim and move your cursor around. To fire you will have to pull the "trigger" again.(RT)

If you have done the above there is something else you can do. If you have done the above, prior to any firing or even after, if you let go of the left trigger aim button, Arthur will lower his aim and move the sidearm to the "fire from the hip" position. If you do just nothing, after a moment the gun will move to his side but will still be unholstered. This process for me has acted as sort of a "safety" when it comes to sidearm use in the game and a way to peacefully back out of firing the weapon. Also simply letting go of the aim button adds that safety feature as I call because if you then let go of the fire button AFTER you have let go of the aim button, Arthur will not fire his weapon.

I'm not sure if I explained that well or even completely correctly as I'm away from the game and working off memory of a system that is very nuanced and not self explanatory. More or less what I listed is what's going on I'm just not sure I captured it all accurately or in an explanatory way. If anything I hope it helps others know there are things going on and options available when handling a gun in the game that provides a way to safely back down through a layered process from firing a gun.

Last edited by Coot; 11/18/18 07:17 PM.

#4449379 - 11/18/18 11:30 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
letterboy1 Offline
(Heterosexual)Tchaikovsky Ballet Fan
letterboy1  Offline
Lifer

Columbus, GA USA
Originally Posted by archermav
I've a question if I may. I went to the bar in Valentine re the gunslingers mission. I completed the first one, but no cannot work out how to access the remainder? Any help please. Also, don't forget that if you upgrade lodgings in camp then you can access Fast Travel.

View those photos that Levin gave you. Look at the photos, flip them as you view them and then read them. As you do, more gunslinger locations will appear on the map.

Last edited by letterboy1; 11/18/18 11:32 PM.

The issue is not p*ssy. The issue is monkey.
#4449393 - 11/19/18 01:32 AM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: letterboy1]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
To add what Letterboy said, if you press the left arrow key (left Dpad?) you can cycle through your missions and select which one you want to do.

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

#4449415 - 11/19/18 08:23 AM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: letterboy1]  
letterboy1 Offline
letterboy1  Offline
Lifer

Columbus, GA USA
Since this is a combination screenshot and hint's-tips thread, I was wondering about the harvesting of animal parts situation. After I skin an animal, I get the message that my satchel is full and that I should discard some items to make room for the animal parts. When I look in the satchel it looks like there are open slots. Is the message referring to a particular part of the satchel? I'm a bit confused and I don't want to throw stuff away for no good reason.

#4449416 - 11/19/18 08:24 AM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: letterboy1]  
letterboy1 Offline
letterboy1  Offline
Lifer

Columbus, GA USA
By the way, getting blasted drunk in the game is not something I want to repeat. biggrin

#4449487 - 11/19/18 06:46 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: letterboy1]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

I have the same confusion letterboy about the "satchel is full thing". I'm not sure what it means. I know that in some instances there seems to be a cap as to how many of one particular item you can have in a slot because it will say 1 of 10 or 2 of 3 when it comes to things like plants and other items.

I also get irritated trying to swap weapons on the shoulder and saddle gun positions. Sometimes I can get the current long arms that I currently want to use properly displaying and hanging from my saddle positions but many times I end up having the bow permanently visible and no matter how I equip, unequip, stow in either position the bow, it refuses to disappear.

#4449488 - 11/19/18 06:49 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: letterboy1]  
archermav Offline
archermav  Offline

Black Country, England.
Letterboy, Coot and Ajay thanks for the response. It's really quite simple once someone explains the obvious to me. I've spent days playing and just couldn't work it out. Now, thanks to help I'm sorted.

#4449605 - 11/20/18 11:36 AM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: letterboy1]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
Regards satchel being full, i just drink or eat whatever i have plenty of until i can fit the item. If it just animal bits like meat or fat i don't worry about satchel being full. The only time i will really worry about if it is a legendary animal which will include a claw, or tooth or something you can use to craft a trinket or talusman with at the fences joint. They give you small boosts to deadeye, health etc. The slot sections are named at the top Letterboy so i'm guessing maybe that section is full? Like Coot said as well, you can only carry si many of a particular item.

Coot, i'm away from the game so running on memory, if you go to your inventory while on the horse you have the left and bottom saddle/gun selection for rifles and the bow. If you select whatever rifle and then holster it while on the horse you should be fine. Or just select the actual saddle icon to have none in hand or on your back. Once you exit the horse whatever rifle you want you select from the horse and it will be on your back. You can take 1 or 2, but I only travel on foot with one rifle depending on what i am doing.

I also don't like carting so much in my inventory so i fence all my goodies when i can, craft if i need to or just feed me and the horse. There seems to be well enough in the world that yoy are never going to be hard up and i hate having so much gear on me. Can you stash stuff at camp? I haven't even sussed that yet, all the cards and photos, maps etc annoy me:)

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

#4449663 - 11/20/18 06:20 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: letterboy1]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

I'm pretty sure I've tried everything I know to do to select or stow a weapon but still get to where a particular weapon gets stuck visually on my horse, usually the bow. It doesn't matter even if I unequip it or even select the saddle icon in the wheel which I believe is another way of selecting no weapon. I just know there has been times when the two particular longarms that I currently wish to use also simultaneously show up hanging side by side on my saddle at the same time.

There are some things I'd like to look into online but I'm too afraid at this point of seeing a spoiler. I think I almost accidentally did simply from the thumbnail used on a youtube suggestion video to the side while looking at something unrelated. I just can not deal with that as that happened to me in the first game. I don't want the littlest of things to be spoiled at all. If I post something here, even if it seems benign but could be a spoiler even when it comes to new locations I will do my best to label what it is and put it in a spoiler text.

I'm almost tempted in getting the gameguide for this game as its big enough, nuanced enough and RPG-like enough that it would be worth having and would maybe be a help. Sometimes those "what we wish we knew before we started playing" videos for a game can be helpful that give incite on some of the hidden or subtle gameplay mechanics but again I'm too afraid of accidentally seeing a spoiler.

#4449692 - 11/20/18 08:35 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: letterboy1]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
I've been lucky in missing spoilers so far Coot, but i know what you mean! One tip i've seen many mention is to put down a save in chapter 3 so when finished you can go back and use that as a free roam point to play from without starting from scratch. Most seem to say that is the best point to just have fun without worrying about the story. I've got one in chapter 2 as well just in case.

I watched a bunch of no spoiler gameplay, all free roam, before purchase and picked up some basics that helped. Things that helped were

1. Pay bounties before they get too big.
2. Bond with your horse asap.
3. Do side quests as they pop up, the question mark ones,as some become unavailable once you miss them.
4. Don't loot dead bodies if you can be seen by anyone as it affects honour.
5. Keep an eye on those tips that pop up.
6. Always carry a horse reviver.

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

#4449746 - 11/21/18 03:14 AM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: letterboy1]  
letterboy1 Offline
letterboy1  Offline
Lifer

Columbus, GA USA
Even uneventful scenes look cool.

Attached Files Station.pngLake.png

#4449755 - 11/21/18 06:18 AM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: letterboy1]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
So nice hey Letterboy, i love Valentines perfect Western atmosphere.

Possible spoiler pics ahead if you haven't ventured into Saint Denis yet or been to any of the theatre shows in Saint Denis, which, is a must.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Upgraded my revolvers to the pearl handles and picked up the red puffy tie in Saint Denis, i'm slowly (very) trying to work towards a Doc Holliday (Val Kilmer version) look. Before that i want to get a full grown beard which takes 10 or 11 in game days, i think, then she all comes off and i have grow a moustache only. I'll need to dump my over shoulder bandolier as well which will hurt my ammo supply.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

#4449761 - 11/21/18 07:26 AM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: letterboy1]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

Earlier on I got arrested by some bounty hunters and taken to St. Denis. I had it more or less planned in my head how I wanted to see it for the first time. At the same time I did not want to go in on my own as I had a feeling the game would have a way of introducing it. So when a cutscene happened that shows a gang member getting me out of jail. I just exited the game because I was not ready to see it. When the game loaded it does that spawn you nearby thing and thankfully it put me towards the outer area of the city almost. So I just walked out and did not pay attention roleplaying that Arthur was loopy from the rifle butt that I did take from the bounty hunters and pretended he walked out of town half out of his head. The one gunfighter fellow was on the train from Rhodes and it travels to St. Denis but so much is going on I just did not pay attention. I made sure to jump off the train before it got too far into town. The only thing I saw was the stables and that side street by the water.

So tonight was my first official time going into St. Denis and it was indeed via a game mission. Its really quite impressive looking. Its a bit hard on the fps but it just depends on the location. There are some really gorgeous spots in it. Not only that, St. Denis at night with all of the electricity and I'm assuming gas lamps look really cool at night. Very atmospheric. I just got into Chapter 4 today. Pretty exciting. By the way I had a test of patience and endurance while in St. Denis today. While trying to assemble and purchase a new outfit at the tailor shop which took some time, maybe fifteen plus minutes, I had to tolerate this woman yelling incessantly outside yelling about how she had the right to vote. I about lost my mind. banghead

#4449806 - 11/21/18 05:17 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: letterboy1]  
letterboy1 Offline
letterboy1  Offline
Lifer

Columbus, GA USA
Coot, what console are you playing on? And which resolution?

Last edited by letterboy1; 11/21/18 05:18 PM.

#4450049 - 11/22/18 09:35 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: letterboy1]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

Hey letterboy. I play the game on my original 2014 PS4 on a Samsung HD TV that is I think 46". I'm not really savvy on understanding displays but I'm assuming its 1080p? My screenshots come out as 1920X1080.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.