#4443311 - 10/11/18 05:42 PM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
oldgrognard Online content
Administrator
oldgrognard  Online Content
Administrator
Lifer

USA
So you didn’t take her up yesterday ?

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4443330 - 10/11/18 06:52 PM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Nope, it was yucky weather. Apparently there was some sort of storm on the pan handle and up through Georgia south of me. wink

Btw, I tried to call and see if you got hit...

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#4443338 - 10/11/18 07:40 PM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
Lieste Offline
Lieste  Offline

BTW bounces are all about airspeed and attitude. If you 'grease' the landing, then no bounce as your flying attitude and ground attitude are the same (doesn't matter if a wheel landing, or three point, just that you don't "hit" the ground hard enough for momentum to carry the tail down (and you don't want to have it carry the nose down...)

Grass mainly differs from concrete in that it *can* be softer and draggier (increasing the risk of a higher speed wheeled landing causing a nose-over), but when cut short and not excessively soft there isn't much difference to asphalt or concrete.

You can fly the aircraft down to a three point attitude and then allow it to settle with no risk of bounce, but this can cause issues with lateral and directional control, and ability to safely apply power to abandon the landing if three point is at or beyond the incipient stall angle. Even with some margin over the three point attitude, a lower approach speed and a hold-off can result in less bounce. Finding the sweet point between control and ability to settle below a flying speed in the landing attitude is potentially tricky, so a modicum of bounce is better than bending things.

#4443354 - 10/11/18 08:58 PM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
Administrator
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Dart, so you were that Birmingham call. You should have left a voicemail.

Didn’t even come close. Just a little rain and light wind. Had bad weather flying to Virginia Beach last Saturday. Week later I attended the Military Aviation Museum airshow. Really, really good. You would have liked it. This years theme was Biplanes and Brews. Several local breweries had their beer there.

https://militaryaviationmuseum.org/airshows/biplanes-and-brews/

It is one of the best aviation museums. Almost all of the planes there fly. Even the Russian stuff. I have a bunch of pictures if it wouldn’t bore you all.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4443365 - 10/11/18 11:36 PM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: oldgrognard]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Ice Cold in Alex or Eating in ...
Originally Posted by oldgrognard
Dart, so you were that Birmingham call. You should have left a voicemail.

Didn’t even come close. Just a little rain and light wind. Had bad weather flying to Virginia Beach last Saturday. Week later I attended the Military Aviation Museum airshow. Really, really good. You would have liked it. This years theme was Biplanes and Brews. Several local breweries had their beer there.

https://militaryaviationmuseum.org/airshows/biplanes-and-brews/

It is one of the best aviation museums. Almost all of the planes there fly. Even the Russian stuff. I have a bunch of pictures if it wouldn’t bore you all.

Look forward to seeing them OG.

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron
#4443374 - 10/12/18 01:13 AM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Sir, I'm wounded....your number is in my contact list so that if you call your name comes up.

And I'm just anonymous digits....

hahaha

I rarely leave voice mails, as usually it's just pissing in the wind. Goodness knows I only check mine every week or so!

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#4443378 - 10/12/18 01:45 AM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
Administrator
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Ok, Ok, Ok. You are in my contacts list. After waiting over a year to be invited to come back for another visit, I figured I’d been dumped. winkngrin

What did you think of that Military Aviation Museum ? Not only did they fly all those, it was more than the usual couple patterns and that was it. Nope, they flew these for about a half hour each. Fast flybys, slow flybys , touch and goes, etc. New aircraft would go up and they would do group flybys. One of the best shows I’ve been to.

Even the remote control stuff was good. These were big models; either 1/3 or 1/2 scale. The 1/2 scale were huge and when flying they could be mistaken for the real things.

#4443388 - 10/12/18 04:12 AM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
Brit44 'Aldo' Offline
Every Human is Unique
Brit44 'Aldo'  Offline
Every Human is Unique

I rarely leave voice mails, as usually it's just pissing in the wind. Goodness knows I only check mine every week or so!

LOL Dart,
You remind me of some that look for my motorcycle repair. I have a basic landline and a simple tape answering machine. I can not tell you how many times the only message left is "this is xx, call me back". wink if you call, leave a name, number, and time of call.

TPA who TWI
"The 10th Amendment simply says that any powers that aren’t mentioned in the Constitution as belonging to the government belong to the states themselves."
#4447002 - 11/05/18 08:35 AM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
#%&*$# the Hun!

From Laser:
#4447059 - 11/05/18 04:13 PM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
Administrator
Administrator
Lifer

USA
biggrin

You are so imaginative. What music were you thinking of when you were doing your little “happy dance” ?

Nice landing.

#4447077 - 11/05/18 05:17 PM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
I usually make up a little song when I do stuff like that.

There are few things more fun in flying than playing with little puffy clouds, flying around them and watching them go past. This is where a slow aircraft really pays off, as I can really enjoy them.

Like any maneuvers, though, one has to really check the sky for others. My head's on a swivel not for dramatic effect!

From Laser:
#4447101 - 11/05/18 07:05 PM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
wheelsup_cavu Offline
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Offline
Lifer

Corona, California
Good fun Dart. thumbsup

Wheels

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

Mission4Today (Campaigns, Missions, and Skins for IL-2)
Planes of Fame Air Museum | March Field Air Museum | Palm Springs Air Museum
#4447125 - 11/05/18 09:18 PM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
Administrator
Administrator
Lifer

USA
I enjoy the small clouds that you can see through so you can fly through them.

#4449686 - 11/20/18 08:21 PM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
There was actually a donut of a cloud that was large enough for the airplane to fly through!

It didn't show up well enough on camera, though, to be worth anything.

I have to replace the valve cover gasket on the right side - it's leaking! But since I'm right about at valve adjustment time anyway, it was going to get thrown in the trash anyhow.

For some reason I can handle straight crosswinds from the left a lot better than from the right. Maybe it's a function of the way the prop spins,* but the other day I went up to find the wind shift to 90 degrees from the runway at about 5 mph.

Keeping the wind on the right it was kind of an ugly affair. I landed her okay, but it was just rough. So I took off again and went the other way, with the wind to my left. No problems at all.

The wind actually favored the other end slightly at the second landing, so I had the tiniest bit of tailwind.

* My VW rotates the prop in the opposite direction of certified ones.

From Laser:
#4449707 - 11/20/18 10:48 PM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
wheelsup_cavu Offline
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Offline
Lifer

Corona, California
This is strictly speculation but it seems reasonable to me that the plane would be easier to handle when the prop is turning in the opposite direction to the crosswind. It would seem to me that when the prop is turning with the crosswind you have to fight not just the crosswind but the torque of the prop which naturally wants to propel you in that direction so you are fighting both forces working together to keep the plane under control. When it is turning against the crosswind the prop torque is cancelling some if not all the crosswind forces out.

Wheels

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

#4450748 - 11/27/18 03:55 PM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Turns out a photographer caught my Bebe at the airshow, and it made the article about Greg Koontz's fly-in in Airshow News.

[Linked Image]

Attached Files Airshow_noop.jpg

From Laser:
#4450749 - 11/27/18 03:59 PM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
^That is so cool!

#4451213 - 11/30/18 07:54 PM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
Administrator
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Dart, have you finished your 25 hours yet ?

#4453718 - 12/18/18 06:30 AM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
wheelsup_cavu Offline
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Offline
Lifer

Corona, California
Pretty darn cool Dart.
Did you send an email to the paper letting them know it belonged to you?

Wheels

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

#4453857 - 12/19/18 04:08 AM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: oldgrognard]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Originally Posted by oldgrognard
Dart, have you finished your 25 hours yet ?

It's 40 hours, as I have an experimental engine...and I'm a few hours short. Not that it matters a whole lot; while I'd like to fly down to Shelby County and maybe over my house, it's not a pressing matter.

@ CAVU: Yeah, I sent them a little blurb explaining the aircraft and telling them how nice the day was.

From Laser:
Page 49 of 64 1 2 47 48 49 50 51 63 64

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.