Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4446183 - 10/30/18 04:00 PM Newbie Hi and Higher praise for a great piece of simulator software  
FieryCrash Offline
FieryCrash  Offline

Minneapolis
Hello,
I just wanted to take a quick moment to stop by and give a huge thanks to the creators of this Sim. What an amazing WW1 Sim you have here.
I bought WOFF in its version 2 days but due to an under-powered pc and time I never had a chance to really get it right. Fast forward to today and I have WOFF UE and a great PC to run it. Just breathtaking. I always liked Microsoft Combat Flight Sim 3 but what you have done with the engine and this Theater/timeline for WW1 is top notch. Love flying with realistic and being up above the clouds wondering, do I meet an opponent? does the mission complete? Engine failure? Wing tear? just excellent.

This has been well worth what I have paid and I am really just getting started again. Now to get better at landing and the sky's the limit! Again phenomenal work capturing an era oft forgotten in our world in these days.
Best regards!

Just because you can does not mean you should.
#4446192 - 10/30/18 04:27 PM Re: Newbie Hi and Higher praise for a great piece of simulator software [Re: FieryCrash]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

Welcome FieryCrash,yep what OBD have done with such an old engine is phenomenal isn't it. Great post pal and I believe you capture the feeling of what most of us here have for this sim aswell.

Don't forget to add the free skin pack off the main download page,and also once your accustomed have a nosy at the mods..there excellent and most are JSGME compatible. Also IMO JJJ,s mission editor is a must (It includes the blue triangle "fix". Amongst other excellent additions.

Any questions please don't hesitate to ask..it's largely a excellent forum with a great bunch of people more than willing to help thumbsup

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.
#4446248 - 10/30/18 10:31 PM Re: Newbie Hi and Higher praise for a great piece of simulator software [Re: FieryCrash]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Welcome FieryCrash, and may you not have too many of your name sake happeing to you in WOFF wink

Glad you like WOFF.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4446252 - 10/30/18 10:46 PM Re: Newbie Hi and Higher praise for a great piece of simulator software [Re: FieryCrash]  
ARUP Offline
ARUP  Offline

Kentucky
S! I have been trying to get a buddy of mine up there in your town to get this Sim for some time. It is GREAT! The folks are top notch, too. S!

#4446253 - 10/30/18 10:46 PM Re: Newbie Hi and Higher praise for a great piece of simulator software [Re: FieryCrash]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man

L'Etoile du Nord

Welcome to the WOFF skies and to these forums FieryCrash, glad to have you aboard. Minneapolis eh? I live about an hour west of you not too far from Hutchinson.

You are in for many hours of outstanding virtual air combat, enjoy it fully, and feel free to ask questions as you go along. Also, and this is of great import, new lads buy the drinks! cheers

Cheers, and watch your six!

Lou

[Linked Image]

Three RFC Brass Hats were strolling down a street in London. Two walked into a bar, the third one ducked.

Former Cold War Warrior, USAF Security Service 1974-1978, E-4, Morse Systems Intercept, England, Europe, and points above.
"pippy-pahpah-pippy pah-pip-pah"

#4446268 - 10/31/18 12:36 AM Re: Newbie Hi and Higher praise for a great piece of simulator software [Re: FieryCrash]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
Dear Fiery -- what Louvert said. This thing is addictive. It's a virtual time machine and full of surprises. I've had it four years and still bump into experiences I've never had before (e.g. the first time I saw a Zeppelin silhouetted against a distant cloud at night). Welcome to WOFF!!!

#4446388 - 10/31/18 08:00 PM Re: Newbie Hi and Higher praise for a great piece of simulator software [Re: Raine]  
loftyc Offline
loftyc  Offline

Originally Posted by Raine
... what Louvert said....

esp. that line about the new guys buying the drinks.

and all that ffun stuff, too.

#4446408 - 10/31/18 09:41 PM Re: Newbie Hi and Higher praise for a great piece of simulator software [Re: FieryCrash]  
FieryCrash Offline
FieryCrash  Offline

Minneapolis
Wow! What a fantastic welcome! Thanks! I will have to see about getting the proper drinks then. I will, for now,relay on my 5th mission as a French Pilot, I had the most awe-inspiring experience in a Sim I think ever. I had lost my flight through a combination of poor speed management and losing operational altitude. I got lost. So I am slightly above the cloud deck in a Nieuport 11 lost and trying to get back to my flight plan when to my left I notice a huge furball breaking out. It is not just 3 or 4 planes but close to what looks like a dozen.(My PC is not hitching a bit in all of this.) Meanwhile, in game, I am surrounded by clouds and sun rays and gorgeous scenery. I decide I will weigh in. Fokkers and I think Aircos just turning and twisting and me looking for stragglers. It goes from scenic and pristine to a struggle and fight for survival. I manage okay, my weak gunnery does not down the Fokker but he has decided the Bebe is too much to deal with and runs off. I notice I am alone again. Crazy. almost exactly like the histories of air combat I have read. Yet really invigorating. I really appreciated the pilot just decking out of the battle, since so many game AIs are overly Klingon in approach and merely fight or die. These pilots are fighting for their lives and weigh the chances. just like I am doing. That is hard to find in flight sims or combat sims.

Hope to post more in a couple weeks.

Just because you can does not mean you should.
#4446422 - 11/01/18 12:43 AM Re: Newbie Hi and Higher praise for a great piece of simulator software [Re: FieryCrash]  
CCIP Offline
CCIP  Offline

Cheers and welcome!

I think you've found the right sim smile Yeah, there's elements to WOFF that I can't quite find in any other title - AI, the campaign/squadron system, and not least of all the all-around good design. I was one of those players who didn't get to try the old OFF, but got into WOFF and then ended up buying it in pieces, spending something like $250 on it over the years - and still consider it worth every penny! So for the price it's going at these days, it's easily the best deal when it comes to 'traditional' combat flight sims, and I recommend it to everybody these days.

Enjoy your journey! I have to say, the Nieuport 11 is a great aircraft to start on (especially considering the other Entente alternatives around the same period) - just go easy on the wings! It's a plane that always made me really confident in a fight and was a pleasure to fly in normal circumstances... but sadly most of my careers on it ended by accidentally snapping off one of the lower wings and plummeting to the ground frown
So watch those stress and overspeed warnings - they're no jokes on the Nieup!

If you're having trim problems, I feel bad for you son
I got ninety-nine problems, but my pitch ain't one...
#4446428 - 11/01/18 02:18 AM Re: Newbie Hi and Higher praise for a great piece of simulator software [Re: FieryCrash]  
HumanDrone Offline
Just shoot me...
HumanDrone  Offline
Just shoot me...

Near Pittsburgh, PA USA
Welcome , FieryCrash - sorry I'm late to the party! I think you & I must share the same assesment of our piloting skills - unless your moniker refers to what happens to your opponent! I'm a little unfortunate, I picked this name before combat drones became quite good - I was thinking more of a target drone...

But I'll say you've stumbled on to a good group of flyers. I hardly get to fly - very busy these days - but I like hanging around here just because it's a bunch of really great folks! So again, welcome!

Box: Win7 Pro 64 bit / I72600K @4.1 GHz / EVGA GTX1080Ti/ 16GB RAM / Corsair 240 GB SSD / WD 600 GB Velociraptor / 1050W Power
FS Stuff: Saitek X52 Pro Stick/Throttle & Combat Rudder Pedals, TrackIR 5
Sims: FSX Gold, REX 2.0 OD, UTX-NA, FSGenesis 10m mesh/ CFS3 ETO 1.40/Wings Over Flanders Fields BH&H2 (more gorgeous than ever!)
Proud BOC inductee 4/30/12!

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM