Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#4447190 - 11/06/18 10:54 AM Re: EAWPRO's multicolored tracers [Re: VonBeerhofen]  
Rotton50 Offline
3DZ / campaign designer
Rotton50  Offline
3DZ / campaign designer

Cape Charles, Virginia, USA
One of the great strengths of EAW is that there are enough scenarios and aircraft available that it can be played as a full on historical sim OR in a myriad of "what-if" settings.

Heck, even paranoids have enemies.
#4447246 - 11/06/18 05:41 PM Re: EAWPRO's multicolored tracers [Re: Rotton50]  
Moggy Offline
EAW Old Timer and Bodger
Moggy  Offline
EAW Old Timer and Bodger
Hotshot

A slit trench at RAF Gravesend
Originally Posted by Rotton50
One of the great strengths of EAW is that there are enough scenarios and aircraft available that it can be played as a full on historical sim OR in a myriad of "what-if" settings.

Very true.

#4447296 - 11/06/18 10:16 PM Re: EAWPRO's multicolored tracers [Re: Brit44 'Aldo']  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

Originally Posted by Brit44 'Aldo'
RiBob,
You are a rivet counter. wink it can be a good thing.
I believe that one should do the best job possible, given current knowledge, materials, and tools. Is there any good reason for not doing so?

Yes, there are many. EAW is a game and not a scientific simulation. This takes a long time for a rivet counter to lean. Man hours is the primary factor.
An opinion from a known rivet counter.
Heaven knows I have cussed out people who mis-repaired "my" vintage cars and used wrong parts/methods whilst doing so.

You have to weigh the cost and use of the vehicle in question. If the owner needs there 69 jag as a daily driver, time spent adding factory inspection paint is wasted time and cost.

VBH,
I am not sure about sub caliber but shells have the luminescent in the base of the shell. This prevents the tracing being seen for other directions but the rear.

I admit to a tendency to "rivet-count" as you put it, but I don't think I am as fanatical as some. I realize 100% true historical accuracy is a goal, but an almost impossible one to achieve.

That said, if getting it "right" involves a few hours of research, as opposed to dozens of hours, or more, then I seems to me that putting the little extra effort would be worthwhile. Opinions vary, naturally.

As far as bullet tracers go, and depending on the type of tracer and the ambient light, they can, indeed, be seen by the enemy (target), especially in dim light. The old saying is "Tracers work both ways".

This article on tracers might prove to be of interest: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tracer_ammunition. Cannon shells found on aircraft may or may not exhibit the same properties as bullet tracers exhibit.

Note the section of the article where it discussed the deliberate non-use of tracers by Night-Fighters. This is an instance where the playability of the game would presumably be affected by the Night-Fighter pilot/gunner using/not using tracer bullets. I reckon the hit ratio would drop quite a bit without tracers, and most would want to use them.

Perhaps, for historical accuracy, the user might be able to toggle on/off tracer bullets when flying a Night fighter. To make it even more realistic--and fair--, the AI for the gunners in the target aircraft could have their aiming improved, or otherwise have their hit ratio increased if the night fighter uses tracers.

Last edited by RIBob; 11/06/18 10:20 PM.
#4447298 - 11/06/18 10:21 PM Re: EAWPRO's multicolored tracers [Re: VonBeerhofen]  
oldgrognard Online content
Administrator
oldgrognard  Online Content
Administrator
Lifer

USA
I will vouch that tracers can be seen from more than the rear. You can see them coming at you especially in low-light.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4447302 - 11/06/18 10:32 PM Re: EAWPRO's multicolored tracers [Re: VonBeerhofen]  
rwatson Offline
Hotshot
rwatson  Offline
Hotshot

New Concord, Ohio
For sure OG I'll back that up from experience especially the green ones

Russ
Semper Fi
#4447307 - 11/06/18 10:58 PM Re: EAWPRO's multicolored tracers [Re: VonBeerhofen]  
Administrator
Administrator
Lifer

USA
An experience we share.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4447319 - 11/07/18 12:39 AM Re: EAWPRO's multicolored tracers [Re: oldgrognard]  
VonBeerhofen Offline
3DZ Master/Campaign Designer
VonBeerhofen  Offline
Hotshot

Zandvoort, N-H, Netherlands
Originally Posted by oldgrognard
I will vouch that tracers can be seen from more than the rear. You can see them coming at you especially in low-light.

That's good to hear and exactly how the new tracers behave. They're less visible when they're coming headon but the bullets themselves were programmed to be illuminated by default in stock EAW and I kept that behaviour. It can easily be changed though. The tracers can be programmed to be behind a none luminous bullet, which means that you will not see the tracers at all when coming headon. Still the bullets have always been illuminated and my deteriorating eyesight needs them or I won't even hit a B17.

VonBeerhofen

#4447338 - 11/07/18 04:18 AM Re: EAWPRO's multicolored tracers [Re: RIBob]  
Brit44 'Aldo' Offline
Every Human is Unique
Brit44 'Aldo'  Offline
Every Human is Unique

An opinion from a known rivet counter.
If it did not read clearly, I was referring to myself.
That said, if getting it "right" involves a few hours of research, as opposed to dozens of hours, or more, then I seems to me that putting the little extra effort would be worthwhile.

I agree.
As far as bullet tracers go

My comment was not about bullet (sub-caliber) tracers. Most of us have all seen video of AA and MG ammunition glowing, if not lived the experience..

Keep counting the rivets, but temper your expectations.

TPA who TWI
"The 10th Amendment simply says that any powers that aren’t mentioned in the Constitution as belonging to the government belong to the states themselves."
#4447409 - 11/07/18 03:35 PM Re: EAWPRO's multicolored tracers [Re: VonBeerhofen]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

Montagnac, L'Herault, France
The effects detail setting has some interesting variations of rocket flare and tracer display, as well as being an essential bodge to fix contrail problems in some versions of the exe.

Fly EAW online at GameRanger: GameRanger Site

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

Mark Twain: I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.

I am now of an age at which I no longer need to suffer fools gladly
#4447417 - 11/07/18 04:59 PM Re: EAWPRO's multicolored tracers [Re: VonBeerhofen]  
VonBeerhofen Offline
VonBeerhofen  Offline
Hotshot

Hardly as much of a problem as the many bodged 3DZ models I've seen, and long solved and further improved, smile

[Linked Image]

VonBeerhofen

#4447428 - 11/07/18 06:18 PM Re: EAWPRO's multicolored tracers [Re: VonBeerhofen]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

Well I must disagree. It appears to be a problem with your own exe and one of your own sprites when the special effects detail is set to "high" in your own public release.

[Linked Image]

The problem with the bodge is that by setting the special effects detail to a lower level may cut out other special effects such as rocket smoke, in the same way that the bodge cuts out contrails.
I can live with a slightly dodgy 3dz, (if I cannot find a replacement skin or TMod) but I could not live with contrails like that.

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

Mark Twain: I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.

#4447433 - 11/07/18 06:47 PM Re: EAWPRO's multicolored tracers [Re: VonBeerhofen]  
VonBeerhofen Offline
VonBeerhofen  Offline
Hotshot

Yep such things happen when one's working hard to improve things, but as I said it was solved for Russ Watson long ago, since he's an important beta tester of EAWPRO. Without his help I might not even have been aware of the problem, which only happens in Glide mode..
The fix will be in the next release of EAWPRO but if you can't wait for it you can betatest what's been done sofar, at your own risk ofcourse.

VonBeerhofen

#4447438 - 11/07/18 07:09 PM Re: EAWPRO's multicolored tracers [Re: VonBeerhofen]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

Happy to smile
I am away in Lyon with my laptop which has a nvidia card so, like Russ, I have to run in Glide to get horizon fog.
Turning the "effects detail" setting to "medium" or "low" simply stops the contrail from being displayed, which is not a complete solution.
Turning it to "low" also stops the rocket trail smoke from appearing.
My original post was made because I have been noting the effect of the different settings on tracer colour display in 160.

wink

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

#4447443 - 11/07/18 07:48 PM Re: EAWPRO's multicolored tracers [Re: VonBeerhofen]  
VonBeerhofen Offline
VonBeerhofen  Offline
Hotshot

It's not the latest version as it's very likely incompattible with your version and the new release isn't finished yet, so instead I patched the version at Mark's website and gave it a test run. It'll have to do untill the next release.

The EXE is available here:

https://rabartel.home.xs4all.nl/EAWPRO_FIX.zip

just overwrite the old EXE and it should be fine, smile

VonBeerhofen

#4447448 - 11/07/18 07:59 PM Re: EAWPRO's multicolored tracers [Re: VonBeerhofen]  
Administrator
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Comment about tracers. They have too long of a tail. Can the tail be reduced by about 75% ?

#4447450 - 11/07/18 08:11 PM Re: EAWPRO's multicolored tracers [Re: VonBeerhofen]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

Much better smile

[Linked Image]

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

#4447453 - 11/07/18 08:13 PM Re: EAWPRO's multicolored tracers [Re: VonBeerhofen]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

OG I will have a look at the code when we get back home mid-November. I might be able to do a variable length using an external file.

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

#4447455 - 11/07/18 08:20 PM Re: EAWPRO's multicolored tracers [Re: oldgrognard]  
VonBeerhofen Offline
VonBeerhofen  Offline
Hotshot

Originally Posted by oldgrognard
Comment about tracers. They have too long of a tail. Can the tail be reduced by about 75% ?

Anything is possible Old Grognard but this also depends on finding the right parameters to modify the tracer length and what the Launchpad group thinks about it. Possibly it can become a user selection by changing some value in the EAW.INI but I can't promise anything, it's just a hobby and consumes a lot of time already. I'll make a note of it and see what I can do.

VonBeerhofen

#4447458 - 11/07/18 08:29 PM Re: EAWPRO's multicolored tracers [Re: VonBeerhofen]  
Administrator
Administrator
Lifer

USA
It is a small matter. I certainly put no demand on it, was just making an observation.

You all do marvelous work and I’m sorry if I sounded demanding.

#4447463 - 11/07/18 09:04 PM Re: EAWPRO's multicolored tracers [Re: VonBeerhofen]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

Another look smile
[Linked Image]

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.