#4445604 - 10/26/18 10:03 PM Re: Deep immersion DiD campaign [Re: Maeran]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by Maeran
Mortuus , the end date would be 11th November 2021.

Plenty of life on this one!

That is true, but for some of us that are getting long in the tooth, surviving to the end date may be a challenge in itself winkngrin

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#4445613 - 10/26/18 11:04 PM Re: Deep immersion DiD campaign [Re: Maeran]  
jerbear Offline
jerbear  Offline

Mr. Wiggins - I'm sure I speak for all of us when I say you are most welcome anytime you can drop in. Nobody is going to be upset about your gaps and I'm sure we're all going to have them. I know I will have to drop in and out during busy times with my work and that inconvenience called life. Another problem most of will probably have is the pull of the new WOTR. I plan to stick my toe in that soon. Look forward to seeing your wonderful skins.

#4445621 - 10/26/18 11:50 PM Re: Deep immersion DiD campaign [Re: Raine]  
CW3SF Offline
CW3SF  Offline

colorado & arizona
I will be there. I have not missed one of these, and my old brain cells just said " you won the last campaign". Not to bad for the Old coger at 81years.

Origin made- silverstone case,ASUS Max VI Extreme , CPU intel Core i7 4770k, cooling asotex 570LC, NVIDA 3G GTX 780 Ti , Mem 16GB Kingston Hyper X DDR3 ,game drive 120GB INTEL X25 SS, OS drive 1TB, Win 7 home Prem.Logitech G105 key board,BenQ XL2430 Gaming Monitor.
All pilots owe me a beer. Retired USAF Rescue/Survival, Special Forces, and MI (after I got old and grey).
#4445641 - 10/27/18 02:56 AM Re: Deep immersion DiD campaign [Re: Raine]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
I'm in then!

(System_Specs)

#4445702 - 10/27/18 03:09 PM Re: Deep immersion DiD campaign [Re: Raine]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
I'm thrilled to see so many interested. Anyone is welcome to join at any time, of course. Once the campaign is underway, simply start your journey on today's date in the war year currently being played.

Thanks to Fullofit for the 10 mission rule suggestion -- I think we'll use it (I'll update the rules in late November). What do you think of his suggestion that if you lose your first pilot, your second one should be from the nationality that downed your first one? Of course, that implies that if you're downed by ground fire, you have to dig a hole in your back garden and live in it until war's end (Bwoc).

Robert and Mortuus -- don't worry about gaps when you're away from WOFF. We're doing this for fun, after all. If you want to, you could build your hiatus into your character's account and contribute stories when away from the front. Story suggestions for covering absences from the campaign include: illness and recuperation (for example, ear or eye problems associated with flying), assignment to Home Establishment for British flyers, a compulsory tour of allied nations like Turkey or Bulgaria for the Germans (like Boelcke's time away), attendance at new aircraft competitions or assessments (for the Germans -- these became more common a bit later in the war), morale or fund raising tours (Banjoman did one of these with his pilot in Olham's DiD campaign -- a Victory Bond tour in the US replete with celebrities), training on new aircraft types (for the Germans, a stint in Jastaschule like Julius Buckler was sent away for), a charge and subsequent court martial, etc.

As long as it doesn't get overdone, the occasional adventure that involves flying away from the front can be an enjoyable break when you need one as well as an entertaining story. In one DiD campaign I had a pilot fly on a secret mission to a British internment camp in Switzerland (it was fun flying in the Alps at night) and later flying from London to Leeds for anl investiture.

Welcome to the latest joiners: my great friend Robert Wiggins, Maeran (whose Cadogan West stories were marvellous), Jerbear and Wulfe (two fairly recent DiD addicts with real talent for creating characters), Stache (don't fret about writing -- how about making your reports in the form of letters home, just the way you'd really do it?), CW3SF (who has never missed a campaign), Dark Canuck (a great guy to share a Guinness with and a welcome WOFFer), Lederhosen (unparalleled pictures), MFair (a great pal and the sponsor of OBD!!!!), Mortuus, and....

Louvert! Lou has long been a mainstay of this sim and is one of our master modders, with many additions that have brought us the French forts, many famous airfields, the bombsight, Havrincourt Wood, and so much more. His new Belfort mod promises to be an outstanding addition. And we can't forget the countless hours of work he's put into his collection of maps that allow true navigation within the sim. Great to have you aboard, Lou, and thank you for your offer to work with Wulfe data to produce a beautiful scoring log. I suggest that with respect to awards, I'll PM you with recommendations periodically and you play higher command, checking the recommendation for historical accuracy and approving it, then making the award in your traditional and esteemed appointment as the Gong Fairy. Does this work for you?

Cheers to all,

Raine

#4445705 - 10/27/18 03:35 PM Re: Deep immersion DiD campaign [Re: Raine]  
Mortuus Offline
Mortuus  Offline

Ottawa, ON
Another question, then - will this campaign have any rules regarding what mods we can use while participating, if any?

#4445712 - 10/27/18 03:57 PM Re: Deep immersion DiD campaign [Re: Raine]  
dutch Offline
dutch  Offline

EURO-zone
A sugestion. like in real pilots life, there was no selecting by any student pilot in which jasta/sqaudron/escadrille he wanting to join inn, no that discission was made by some kind of staff.
My sugestion is: I provide mr Raine a name and country I wanting to serve. While the staff (=mr Raine) give me the jasta/squadr and date I can join.

As a sample:
name: Antony Smith born 2-3-1895 in London.
nat: UK

Staff answer, you are registrated to RFC No66 date 2-jan-1916. rank Lt, novice

The fun is that you will fly a plane, regios or whatever you never would have choisen. It could be a drama like I did dislike the Fokker EIV but like in real pilots life, you did not have lots of choices.

#4445735 - 10/27/18 06:09 PM Re: Deep immersion DiD campaign [Re: Raine]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
Dutch,

I'd like that personally. I've often wished that WOFF allowed greater randomization of squadrons at enlistment, or even assigned transfers to you. That way you'd be like a real new pilot, and you would not simply be able to pick the best aircraft. You might also discover new challenges within WOFF you haven't experienced yet.

If people want this, I'd promise not to stick them with a terrible machine for ever! Assignment to better aircraft would come in time. Also, I'd devise my own die roll based randomization system to make assignments for us so that there would be no way to play favorites. Anyone else interested?

Mortuus,

I think landscape and texture mods, cloud mods, and the like are up to you. But mods that alter aircraft capability such as mods that make rounds more visible than was the case historically should not be on. I'd ask the group's history buffs to suggest any mods that should be excluded so as to keep us on a solid historical footing.

#4445736 - 10/27/18 06:14 PM Re: Deep immersion DiD campaign [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Ohhh, I like that suggestion Dutch! This bloody war will be totally out of my hands. The only problem I see is if you get stuck with some obscure squad that you can’t find any decent info on, there will be nothing to write about. Thank God for transfers!
Raine, will you impose materiel rations for periods of time? For example: if flying for Germany, set your fuel to 60% for the entire month. Then 40% next month and so on. Or, no Prieur rockets for entire month for French in some random month, or shortage of bombs, etc.
I also like the idea of doing new fighter testing when appropriate time comes. This, I understand, can be accomplished with Triple-J’s Mission Editor. We just need the direction from the Dungeon Master to tell us that we’ve been selected for this task. Of course, you have to be high enough rank to be selected in the first place.
Have you also given a thought how to handle lone wolf missions in the early stages? Do you have to be certain rank and have certain number of missions/flying hours under your belt before allowed to do this? Will the DM make us fly them?

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."
#4445737 - 10/27/18 06:15 PM Re: Deep immersion DiD campaign [Re: Raine]  
Mortuus Offline
Mortuus  Offline

Ottawa, ON
I was thinking more along the lines of mission mods, to be honest.

#4445741 - 10/27/18 06:44 PM Re: Deep immersion DiD campaign [Re: Raine]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by Raine
Dutch,

I'd like that personally. I've often wished that WOFF allowed greater randomization of squadrons at enlistment, or even assigned transfers to you. That way you'd be like a real new pilot, and you would not simply be able to pick the best aircraft. You might also discover new challenges within WOFF you haven't experienced yet.

If people want this, I'd promise not to stick them with a terrible machine for ever! Assignment to better aircraft would come in time. Also, I'd devise my own die roll based randomization system to make assignments for us so that there would be no way to play favorites. Anyone else interested?

Hmmmm....well a liberal dousing with some fine scotch should glean some favoritism from the red tabs I suspect and in the end it just might be that the die are "loaded" in my favour!! biggrin

Last edited by Robert_Wiggins; 10/27/18 06:44 PM.

(System_Specs)

#4445766 - 10/27/18 09:27 PM Re: Deep immersion DiD campaign [Re: Robert_Wiggins]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
Robert,

All liquid bribery gratefully accepted. I'm a weak man.

#4445774 - 10/27/18 10:59 PM Re: Deep immersion DiD campaign [Re: Raine]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

I am loving these ideas, not the least of which the liquid bribery!

Raine, handling the awards as you've suggested would work fine for me. Now if you'll excuse me, I must let my hat out a size or two after all your high praises.

#4446452 - 11/01/18 08:47 AM Re: Deep immersion DiD campaign [Re: Raine]  
Wulfe Offline
Wulfe  Offline

Sounds like this is going to be quite the intense campaign!

...I'll have the Norman Franks books on standby...

#4446769 - 11/03/18 01:37 PM Re: Deep immersion DiD campaign [Re: Raine]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

I've been thinking about this upcoming campaign and I believe I will start as an American who travels to Canada to enlist and train as a pilot in the RFC. I am planning on starting right away in December (1915) and being in England for that month at one of the training squadrons. Raine, am I correct in assuming that, in your role as dungeon master, you would hand down the assignment as to which squadron my pilot would be sent to for training? I can use QC missions to handle all the training flights and go into the workshop and set it to record all training flights in my log book. Back when I added all the extra aerodromes in England I made sure there would be a goodly selection of the ones historically used by a fair number of the training squadrons and flying schools, so you should have a lot of options in terms of the assignments.

#4446794 - 11/03/18 03:10 PM Re: Deep immersion DiD campaign [Re: Raine]  
Hasse Offline
Hasse  Offline

Hello gents! Long time no see. cheers

Real life totally ruined my previous attempt at DID flying, but I'm definitely interested in joining this new campaign. I had tremendous fun with the older DID, and my pilot even managed to survive the war, much to my surprise.

Since my main interest has always been German aviation and therefore I have the most historical knowledge about it, I'd like to join the new campaign as a German army two-seater pilot and see how it goes.

"Upon my word I've had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers."

James McCudden, Five Years in the Royal Flying Corps
#4446800 - 11/03/18 03:17 PM Re: Deep immersion DiD campaign [Re: Raine]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Hasse! Great to see you Sir, I've just recently gotten back into the WOFF skies myself. This upcoming campaign has the potential to be epic. smile2

#4446806 - 11/03/18 03:37 PM Re: Deep immersion DiD campaign [Re: Raine]  
Hasse Offline
Hasse  Offline

Good to see you too, Lou!

Reading Raine's ideas, I can see there's definitely potential for some epic flying here.

As always with DID, it's either the Iron Cross or the wooden cross. biggrin

"Upon my word I've had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers."

James McCudden, Five Years in the Royal Flying Corps
#4446844 - 11/03/18 07:11 PM Re: Deep immersion DiD campaign [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
Originally Posted by RAF_Louvert

I've been thinking about this upcoming campaign and I believe I will start as an American who travels to Canada to enlist and train as a pilot in the RFC. I am planning on starting right away in December (1915) and being in England for that month at one of the training squadrons. Raine, am I correct in assuming that, in your role as dungeon master, you would hand down the assignment as to which squadron my pilot would be sent to for training? I can use QC missions to handle all the training flights and go into the workshop and set it to record all training flights in my log book. Back when I added all the extra aerodromes in England I made sure there would be a goodly selection of the ones historically used by a fair number of the training squadrons and flying schools, so you should have a lot of options in terms of the assignments.

Lou, how about your Yank and my Canuck meet in early training in Canada and ship over together? If folks are up for it, I'd love to DM the initial assignments. Just let me know a bit about your man and I'll assign your training field in the UK (if you're British). The assignment will be historically plausible. I'll also specify the squadron you'll be posted to. No promises where -- you may not love what you'll fly, but it will be realistic. I will, however, keep a "kharma log", so that if you're really good putting up with a crap machine, you'll be somewhat more likely to be rewarded in the future.

Hasse, it's so good to see you here!!! I just re-read your final posts in Olham's campaign and remember how touching they were. Delighted to have you aboard!

MFair, if you're listening in, if your pilot is American, want to join Lou and me?

Anyone interested in putting in training hours, either in the campaign's training flights or in Quick Combat free flight (with hours logged for the campaign) can do so in December 2018 / 1915, but deployment to the front will occur only in January.

#4446859 - 11/03/18 08:35 PM Re: Deep immersion DiD campaign [Re: Raine]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Raine, the idea of having your pilot and mine meet up in Canada is outstanding! I am thinking that my fellow will leave his home in Minnesota and travel up to Winnipeg to enlist, at which point he would be sent east and could meet up with your chap in Ottawa or Montreal or any likely spot where their paths would intersect on their way to the coast and to the ship that would be taking them across. As backstory, my lad will have already caught several rides in airships and aeroplanes at county fairs and such, which is where he got the itch to take to the clouds.

To the training in England, remember that OldHat put together an entire series of training flights based on a list I gave him of how it tended to be done back in the day. Also, for that series, I had modified Thetford and Catterick aerodromes to add the needed training targets, and both of those are already in Robert's Consolidated Aerodromes pack. Here are the links to OldHat's training programs:

Custom Mission Building Series

A Simplified Training Script

Oh yes, this is really starting to take shape. smile2

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again