Hop To
Page 5 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 15
#4442667 - 10/08/18 04:14 AM Re: My Own Brand Of Crazy [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
Sailor_Steve Offline
Sailor_Steve  Offline

Salt Lake City, Utah, U.S. of ...
7 October 1914

Verdun
Noel Kay writes: "0740: Beautiful day. Flew to Sedan, then a pass down the lines. 2 hours 5 minutes."

Amiens, No 3 Squadron
Corrigan Aujla writes: "0918: We had a group of senior Army officers show up today. Our orders were to give them rides to various towns and back. I drew a Colonel Healey and was told to take him up to Doullens. He took me aside just before we took off and asked if, once we were out of sight of anyone who could get us into trouble, I could take him for a loop. I said that was certainly possible. After we had turned around over Doullens and were above farm country coming back, I granted his wish. A ways further one we did another. He had told me he had never been up in a plane before and likely never would again, so how could I refuse. As we were returning to Amiens he practically begged me, via vigorous signs, to break off and go around one more time. I had to explain myself to Major Salmond later, but when I told him the poor fellow reminded me of an eager puppy begging for a treat he said it would have been easy enough to just lie about my approach or something, and since he appreciated my honesty he could forgive me "Just this once". 1 hour 12 minutes.'

Amiens, No 4 Squadron
Ries Meismer writes: "1207: Interesting day today. A group of Army dignitaries paid us a visit. We were assigned to fly them around the area. I was given a General MacFreign, an Artillery commander. We were not supposed to take our charges anywhere near the lines, but I had special orders to show him what his guns were doing so he could better decide how to dispose of them. We flew over to Peronne, then south to Laon and Sissonne, and then back to Amiens. I gave him a good long look and he seemed happy enough about what he saw. 2 hours 40 minutes.

Pontfaverger
Odis Först writes: "0559: Another flight almost to Paris. We witnessed a large artillery duel between the lines, and received some pretty heavy Flak near Villers-Totterets. 2 hours 32 minutes."

Esquennoy
Filimor Hance writes: "1021: Short flight around local area. 46 minutes."

Some people are born stupid. I've had to work hard my whole life to get this way. I'm proud of the job I've done
#4442898 - 10/09/18 01:10 AM Re: My Own Brand Of Crazy [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
Sailor_Steve Offline
Sailor_Steve  Offline

8 October 1914

Verdun
Noel Kay writes: "0950: Up to Sedan again. No fighting going on at the moment. 2 hours 31 minutes."

Abbeville, No 3 Squadron
Corrigan Aujla writes: "1044: Transferred from Amiens to Abbeville. 32 minutes. "

Abbeville, No 4 Squadron
Ries Meismer writes: "1502: Transferred from Amiens to Abbeville. 34 minutes."

Pontfaverger
Odis Först writes: "0848: Reconnaissance to Soissins and back. 1 hour 48 minutes."

Esquennoy
Filimor Hance writes: "Rain. No flying today."

Some people are born stupid. I've had to work hard my whole life to get this way. I'm proud of the job I've done
#4443113 - 10/10/18 03:57 AM Re: My Own Brand Of Crazy [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
Sailor_Steve Offline
Sailor_Steve  Offline

9 October 1914

Verdun
Noel Kay writes: "1246: Another trip to Sedan, then over to Reims and back along the lines. 2 hours 10 minutes."

Moyenneville, No 3 Squadron
Corrigan Aujla writes: "1130: Transferred from Abbeville to Moyenneville. 17 minutes."

Moyenneville, No 4 Squadron
Ries Meismer writes: "1550: Transferred from Abbeville to Moyenneville. 16 minutes."

Pontfaverger
Odis Först writes: "1051: Long patrol up and down the lines. 2 hours 49 minutes."

Esquennoy
Filimor Hance writes: "1121: Long flight around extended area. 3 hours 3 minutes."

#4443245 - 10/11/18 04:47 AM Re: My Own Brand Of Crazy [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
Sailor_Steve Offline
Sailor_Steve  Offline

10 October 1914

Verdun
Noel Kay writes: "1511: Short trip over the lines. Eduard took some pot-shots at a balloon. 47 minutes. The Germans have taken several towns up north."

Corrigan Aujla writes: "1202: Flight over to the lines, patrol and back. 2 hours 36 minutes."

Ries Meismer writes: "1620: Flew up to Lens then patrolled down to Cappy. 1 hour 32 minutes. "

Pontfaverger
Odis Först writes: "1356: Patrolled the lines from Baupaume down to Soissins. 2 hours 44 minutes."

Esquennoy
Filimor Hance writes: "1439: Followed the leader all over the area, 2 hours 13 minutes. I'm starting to wonder again if we'll ever be allowed into the war. I asked myself the same question a month ago, and nothing has changed."

#4443392 - 10/12/18 06:13 AM Re: My Own Brand Of Crazy [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
Sailor_Steve Offline
Sailor_Steve  Offline

11 October 1914

Verdun
Noel Kay writes: "1613: Short dusk flight to check for enemy crossing the lines. Landed just before dark. I've made one night-time landing, and I don't want to do it again. 1 hour 10 minutes."

Ries Meismer writes. "0606: Short flight around the area. Moving again tomorrow. 1 hour 27 minutes."

Corrigan Aujla writes: "1452: Flew up to Saint Omer scouting for a new field. 3 hours 10 minutes."

Pontfaverger
Odis Först writes: "1655: Gave a new pilot a quick tour of the area. 23 minutes."

Esquennoy
Filimor Hance writes: "0506: Took off in pitch dark with Capitaine Jannerod to look for a new field. He already has one in mind. All we need to do is check it out. It started snowing while we were aloft, fortunately not bad enough to make us land and seek shelter. It looks like he picked a good one, and if the weather doesn't get worse we'll be moving tomorrow. It's up near the coast where the Germans are advancing. 2 hours 43 minutes."

#4443536 - 10/13/18 03:17 AM Re: My Own Brand Of Crazy [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
Sailor_Steve Offline
Sailor_Steve  Offline

12 October 1914

Verdun
Noel Kay writes: "0837: Flight up to Sedan again. No unusual movement. 2 hours 24 minutes."

Saint-Omer, No 3 Squadron
Corrigan Aujla writes: "0917: Transferred from Moyenneville up to Saint-Omer. 52 minutes."

Saint-Omer, No 4 Squadron
Ries Meismer writes: "1302: Followed No 3 Squadron up to Saint-Omer. 50 minutes."

Pontfaverger
Odis Först writes: "0748: Long flight scouting our side of the lines. 2 hours 46 minutes."

Oostende
Filimor Hance writes: "0804: Transferred from Esquennoy to Oostende. 1 hour 15 minutes. We are now right at the front. Capitaine Jannerod informed us that the Germans have moved all the way to the coast and our forces are right behind. Our job now is to see where the enemy moves next so our troops will know immediately. We are the front line."

#4443654 - 10/14/18 05:31 AM Re: My Own Brand Of Crazy [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
Sailor_Steve Offline
Sailor_Steve  Offline

13 October 1914

Verdun
Noel Kay writes: "Rainstorm moving through. No flying."

Corrigan Aujla writes: "Massive storm moving through. No one is able to fly."

Ries Meismer writes: "Rain everywhere. Both our squadrons are grounded."

Pontfaverger
Odis Först writes: "1048: Raining, but not enough to cancel our patrols. We flew south across the lines and down to Epernay. Saw an entertaining show along the way. We heard an artillery barrage while crossing the lines, and witnessed an enemy truck convoy racing helter-skelter down what was left of a road, being hounded by our shells all the way. We even got a couple of them. Flying down to Epernay and back we encountered a lot of Flak. It was pretty wet down there. I suspect they were bored, and we provided the perfect diversion. The rain picked up on our way home but we made it back safely. 1 hour 54 minutes."

Dunkerque
Filimor Hance writes: "0934: I've been complaining about ever getting to the war, and now we're desperate to get away from it. We woke up to the sound of thunder, and it wasn't just the storm, it was the German guns. The Germans moved up to the outskirts of Oostende during the night and were now preparing to attack the city. Packing everything up took far longer than we would have liked, and we could hear the sound of infantry firing at each other by the time we were ready to take off. The trucks moved out and we took off down the coast to Dunkerque. We had to fight rain and stiff winds all the way, but 57 minutes later we were safely back on the ground again and well behind the lines."

#4443753 - 10/15/18 04:59 AM Re: My Own Brand Of Crazy [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
Sailor_Steve Offline
Sailor_Steve  Offline

14 October 1914

Verdun
Noel Kay writes: "1122: Patrolled behind the lines. Nobody is moving, nothing is happening. Both sides are sitting in their trenches, seemingly just waiting. 1 hour 52 minutes."

Corrigan Aujla writes: "This is the second day in a row we are rained in."

Ries Meismer writes: "Raining again, not flying. There is a big difference."

Pontfaverger
Odis Först writes: "1256: Patrol over to Soissons, then down the lines to Reims, then home. 1 hour 18 minutes."

Dunkerque
Filimor Hance writes: "1045: Flew back up to Oostende to see what the damage was. Our forces have dug in a couple of kilometres up from Niewpoort. The Germans are blocked there, and exchangingartillery fire. The Germans will dig in now too, or be forced to pull back. 52 minutes."

#4443862 - 10/16/18 12:21 AM Re: My Own Brand Of Crazy [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
Sailor_Steve Offline
Sailor_Steve  Offline

15 October 1914

The entire front has closed down again. To the north lies a heavy overcast and rain. The Marne and Verdun regions are silent, with a heavy fog lying everywhere. Even it anyone could fly there's nothing to see.

#4444062 - 10/17/18 02:19 AM Re: My Own Brand Of Crazy [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
Sailor_Steve Offline
Sailor_Steve  Offline

16 October 1914

While the Verdun sector is still fogged in, to the north the rain has lifted a little

Corrigan Aujla writes: "1023: Capt Williamson and I took a familiarization flight around the area. North to the coast and Dunkerque, then south to Clety and back to our field. I hadn't realized just how big the Saint-Omer complex is. It's HUGE!! Hangars everywhere, around thirty BEs parked or flying. It's an interesting place. 1 hour 24 minutes."

Ries Meismer writes: "0906: Orientation flight east to Boulogne-Sur-Mer, up the coast and around to Calais, then home again. We are at the Saint-Omer extension, which is at the west end of a very large field. The main base is at the east end, with the hangars being about a half-mile apart. 1 hour 27 minutes."

Dunkerque
Filimor Hance writes: "1151: Flew up to Oostende again. Artillery exchange going on just east of Niewpoort. Looks like more trenches being dug. 1 hour 23 minutes.

#4444063 - 10/17/18 03:08 AM Re: My Own Brand Of Crazy [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
rtoolooze262 Offline
rtoolooze262  Offline

Mo. USA
Wow, no wonder the whole front is a giant mud pile!

#4444204 - 10/18/18 02:24 AM Re: My Own Brand Of Crazy [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
Sailor_Steve Offline
Sailor_Steve  Offline

It was. I have a copy of Oswald Boelcke's letters home, and he talks some about the fog and the rain. Since I'm taking this all day-by-day I'm hurting right now, as on days like today I don't get to fly at all either. What's even more funny is that I've been tied up for the last four years with a '100 Years Ago Today' project, and on this same day in 1918 there was no aerial combat at all.

17 October 1914

The rain has closed back in in the north, and today there is no flying again at all.

#4444385 - 10/19/18 04:45 AM Re: My Own Brand Of Crazy [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
Sailor_Steve Offline
Sailor_Steve  Offline

18 October 1914

While the fog continues over Verdun-Sedan and environs, the rain has lifted in the north.

Ries Meismer writes: "1047: Group flight over to Boulogne-Sur-Mer, up to Calais, over to Dunkerque and back to Saint-Omer. Starting to get a feel for the area. 1 hour 17 minutes."

Corrigan Aujla writes: "1201: The rain lifted long enough for us all to make another flight. We flew west to Boulogne, up to Calais and Dunkerque and back to Saint-Omer. 2 hours 21 minutes."

Dunkerque
Filimor Hance writes: "1028: Flight up to Niewpoort and the lines. South as far as Diksmuide and the westward back to Dunkerque. Several artillery engagements. 59 minutes."

#4444556 - 10/20/18 05:13 AM Re: My Own Brand Of Crazy [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
Sailor_Steve Offline
Sailor_Steve  Offline

19 October 1914

Verdun
Noel Kay writes: "Still foggy. We have been told that as soon as the weather clears a little we are being moved west, to Saint-Pol-Sur-Ternoise, for some rest."

Reis Meismer writes: "1318: Another familiarization flight, over to Bailleul and back. 1 hour 3 minutes."

Corrigan Aujla writes: "1436: Another short flight around the area, this time by ourselves. 45 minutes."

Pontfaverger
Odis Först writes: "The fog is still with us. Don't know what the officers are doing, but we enlisted pilots played a game of football. Not so easy when you can't see from one goal to the other, but a lot of fun."

Saint-Pol-Sur-Mer
Filimor Hance writes: "1433: Transferred from Dunkerque to Saint-Pol-Sur-Mer, only a few miles away. 14 minutes."

#4444679 - 10/21/18 11:07 AM Re: My Own Brand Of Crazy [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
Sailor_Steve Offline
Sailor_Steve  Offline

20 October 1914

Saint-Pol-Sur -Ternoise
Noel Kay writes: "1333: Fog lifted just long enough to take off. Sgt Pelliers, the camp cook, made sure we had bottles of hot coffee and sandwiches for the flight. We flew west to Soissons, northwest to Amiens, then turned north to Doullens. Arrived at Saint-Pol-Sur-Ternoise after a flight of 2 hours 38 minutes.

Ries Meismer writes: "1435: Flew over to Boulogne, then down to Hesdin, then back home. 1 hour 20 minutes. Time in aircraft: 78.17 hours."

Corrigan Aujla writes: "1536: Late afternoon flight over to Boulogne, back up to Calais, then up the coast to Dunkerque and back to Saint-Omer. Landed just as it was getting dark."

Saint-Pol-Sur-Mer
Filimor Hance writes: "1511: Still following the same plan - from our new field up the coast to Dunkerque and Niewpoort, then down the lines to Diksmuide, then home. There was a heavy bombardment going on by the British against the Germans, with no reply. After only a week of artillery fire the land is starting to look like a desert. The town of Diksmuide appears to be abandoned, and many of the houses are levelled. No infantry activity. 1 hour 16 minutes."

Pontfaverger
Odis Först writes: "The fog is a little less today, but still too much to fly. We played some more football. Ltn Boelcke was at the field, working personally with the mechanics on his machine. He came over and watched our game for a few minutes, then went back to work. The rest of the day was spent reading, playing cards and chatting with each other.

#4444942 - 10/23/18 02:09 AM Re: My Own Brand Of Crazy [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
Sailor_Steve Offline
Sailor_Steve  Offline

21 October 1914

Corrigan Aujla writes: "0821: We made an experimental run today. As part of the coordinated patrol plan No 3 Squadron will be covering the area from Diksmuide down to Bailleul. We started a run at 6,000 feet to avoid Archie fire, and slowly descended through the cloud cover to 2,500 feet. Nobody shot at us anyway, but the recommendation for now seems to be only flying on clear days, so we can be high enough to guarantee a safe run. 1 hour 37 minutes."

Saint-Pol-Sur-Mer
Filimor Hance writes: "0842: Another patrol from the coast down to Diksmuide. 1 hour 1 minute."

Ries Meismer writes: "0910: We have been set up in a rotation to patrol distinct areas, giving the maximum coverage possible. Our part of the lines is between Bailleul and Loos. We made our first flights in that role today. 1 hour 21 minutes."

Saint-Pol-Sur-Ternoise
Noel Kay writes: "0925: We've been transferred not for rest but to get us into the fight! High Command has organized a plan for squadrons to start flying patrols up and down the lines based on sector. Our patrol area is from Lens south to Arras. When we arrived on station there was an artillery exchange going on just to the north of us. We didn't get to watch as our patrol took us to the south. 55 minutes."

Pontfaverger
Odis Först writes: "Still fogged in. We had a couple more games today. Ltn Boelcke was back to watch, and had two more officers with him."

#4445278 - 10/25/18 01:01 AM Re: My Own Brand Of Crazy [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
Sailor_Steve Offline
Sailor_Steve  Offline

22 October 1914

Saint-Pol-Sur-Mer
Filimor Hance writes: "0857: Flew once again from the coast to Diksmuide. 1 hour 6 minutes."

Corrigan Aujla writes: "1010: Started our regular patrols today, Diksmuide to Bailleul. 1 hour 38 minutes."

Saint-Pol-Sur-Ternoise
Noel Kay writes: "1034: Second patrol from our new field. Heavy artillery exchange west of Lens. Quiet around Arras. 1 hour 10 minutes."

Ries Meismer writes: "1045: Patrolled from Bailleul to Loos. 1 hour 33 minutes."

Pontfaverger
Odis Först writes: "The weather turned good today, and we made good use of it. We all got to fly one patrol. The Boelcke brothers, in the other hand, flew five times, mainly because Hptm Wilhelm Boelcke was working with our artillery to develop better reporting techniques, without much luck. Our one patrol came in the mid-afternoon.
1428: Flew to Reims, the west along the lines to Verdun. 1 hour 35 minutes."

#4445291 - 10/25/18 02:15 AM Re: My Own Brand Of Crazy [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
Sailor_Steve Offline
Sailor_Steve  Offline

23 October 1914

The rain has returned to the Front, and once again the entire Flanders district is grounded. The Germans however are flying despite a light rain.

Pontfaverger
Odis Först writes: "0717: Despite a light rain the visibility is good.Patrolled from Laon to Reims. 1 hour 41 minutes. The Boelcke brothers had success with the artillery today, guiding ours to destroy three enemy batteries."

#4445478 - 10/26/18 05:13 AM Re: My Own Brand Of Crazy [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
Sailor_Steve Offline
Sailor_Steve  Offline

24 October 1914

The Flanders district is still grounded due to the rain.

Meanwhile, at Pontfaverger
Odis Först writes: "0912: Despite some haze we were able to get aloft for awhile. Patrolled from Verdun some way to the east. 1 hour 42 minutes."

#4445525 - 10/26/18 02:22 PM Re: My Own Brand Of Crazy [Re: Sailor_Steve]  
Sailor_Steve Offline
Sailor_Steve  Offline

25 October 1914

Pontfaverger
Odis Först writes: "1108: We were given a deep scouting raid, to Chalons, Epernay and Reims. Not much to see but a lot of fog on the ground. Lucky for us there was none when we took off. Luckier there was none when we landed. 2 hours 24 minutes."

Saint-Pol-Sur-Mer
Filimor Hance writes: "1119: Everything seems to be quiet on the Diksmuide run. 1 hour 19 minutes."

Saint-Pol-Sur-Ternoise
Noel Kay writes: "1202: Flew again today. Same route - Lens to Arras. Heavy artillery over the trenches beside Lens. Smaller barrage in the outskirts of Arras. 1 hour 5 minutes."

Saint Omer, No 3 Squadron
Corrigan Aujla writes: 1202: Back flying. Diksmuide to Bailleul again. 1 hour 19 minutes."

Saint Omer, No 4 Squadron
Ries Meismer writes: "1233: Back flying again. The assigned route - Bailleul to Loos. 1 hour 23 minutes."

Page 5 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 15

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM