Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4444630 - 10/20/18 10:38 PM Waterloo  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Ice Cold in Alex or Eating in ...
Today my wife and I went to Charleroi to pick up a friend that had just flown in. On the way back from the airport we decided to go visit the Waterloo Lion and the site of the Battle of Waterloo. Alas we were late getting there as our friend's flight had been delayed so we only got to see the lion and the panorama of the battle. This was my first visit and the third for my wife, the last time she was here was on the way back from dropping off me at the airport so I could hurry back to look after my very ill brother, while she was at the top of the mound with our youngest son she got a phone call to say that my brother had passed away about the time I got on the aircraft. So it was with this in the back of my mind when I was climbing the stairs to the top of the mound.

Butte de Lion
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The mound is made from sand and earth taken from each of the countries that fought against Napoleon

Napoleon
[Linked Image]

The round house that contains the panorama of the battle of Waterloo
[Linked Image]

The fields where the battle was fought
[Linked Image]

Layout of the battle
[Linked Image]

part of the painting of the panorama, the panorama is 110m long and 12m high and depicts the battle at around 18:00 on the 18th June 1815

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

In the background you can see Napoleon on his horse Marengo leading his staff
[Linked Image]

More pictures, including a couple of panoramic shots: https://imgur.com/a/zGoGXW4

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4444643 - 10/21/18 12:31 AM Re: Waterloo [Re: Alicatt]  
rwatson Offline
Hotshot
rwatson  Offline
Hotshot

New Concord, Ohio
Thanks for the post Alicatt very impressive !!

Russ
Semper Fi
#4444667 - 10/21/18 07:27 AM Re: Waterloo [Re: rwatson]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Originally Posted by rwatson
Thanks for the post Alicatt very impressive !!

Thanks, we were just too late to be able to go into the museum and also we were too late to take advantage of their VR headsets, you can hire them and then look around the battle site and see the battle unfold in front of you. I have made a note that I have to go back with more time and see the rest of the exhibition.

Forgot to put a link in for the site:
http://www.waterloo1815.be/index.php?page=Home

Last edited by Alicatt; 10/21/18 07:29 AM. Reason: add link to the location

Clan Cameron
#4444672 - 10/21/18 09:45 AM Re: Waterloo [Re: Alicatt]  
BD-123 Offline
Old Scroat
BD-123  Offline
Old Scroat

Naunton Beauchamp Worcestershi...
A most atmospheric and poignant image of the silhouetted mound against a dramatic cloudscape, considering the associations with the passing of your brother Alicatt.

Two years after the mound was constructed, it is said that on visiting, Wellington was outraged, exclaiming, "They have altered my field of battle!".
This post has made me want to re-visit the film again, considered to be one of the most spectacular and authentic historic cinematic works ever made.
Only error I could deduce was the British troops singing 'Boney was a warrior' a naval 'long drag shanty' which wasn't penned until some years after:
Boney was a warrior
Away, a- yah!
A warrior and a terrier
Jean Francois!

Boney fought the Russians
Away, a- yah!
The Russians and the Prussians.
Jean Francois!

Moscow was a-blazing
Away, a- yah!
And Boney was a-raging.
Jean Francois!

Boney went to Elba
Away, a- yah!
Boney he came back again.
Jean Francois!

Boney went to Waterloo
Away, a- yah!
There he got his overthrow.
Jean Francois!

Then they took him off again
Away, a- yah!
Aboard the Billy Ruffian.
Jean Francois!

He went to Saint Helena,
Away, a- yah!
There he was a prisoner,
Jean Francois!

Boney broke his heart and died
Away, a- yah!
Away in Saint Helena
Jean Francois!

I recommend the FutureLearn free online course; "Wellington and the Battle of Waterloo" if anyone is interested in this period of history.

#4444676 - 10/21/18 10:49 AM Re: Waterloo [Re: BD-123]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Originally Posted by BD-123
A most atmospheric and poignant image of the silhouetted mound against a dramatic cloudscape, considering the associations with the passing of your brother Alicatt.

Two years after the mound was constructed, it is said that on visiting, Wellington was outraged, exclaiming, "They have altered my field of battle!".
This post has made me want to re-visit the film again, considered to be one of the most spectacular and authentic historic cinematic works ever made.
Only error I could deduce was the British troops singing 'Boney was a warrior' a naval 'long drag shanty' which wasn't penned until some years after:
Boney was a warrior
Away, a- yah!
<snip>
I recommend the FutureLearn free online course; "Wellington and the Battle of Waterloo" if anyone is interested in this period of history.

Yeah it was quite poignant, it was my wife's friend that took the pic through the car window as we were driving up, I did slow off so she could get the pic through a gap in the hedge, that was my sum total contribution to the picture smile
By the time we cot to the mound the clouds had almost passed and all I could get was the Butt(e) of the lion in the second picture, all pics were taken with phones.

"Boney was a warrior" was sung with great gusto in the school I went to, and it was a regular in the music lessons, so I remember it well. I don't have the Waterloo film but I do feel like going and watching Sharpe's Waterloo again.

Clan Cameron
#4444681 - 10/21/18 11:45 AM Re: Waterloo [Re: Alicatt]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Outstanding post Alicatt and thanks for posting those pics. You really do need to get the film on DVD. Amazon should have a copy.

As for the battle itself, it does seem that the perception in popular culture is that the battle was fought just between the French and the British.

At Waterloo you had:

17,000 Dutchmen

50,000+ Prussians (yeah ok, they came late to the battle)

17,000+ Germans from other Germanic states besides Prussia

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4444685 - 10/21/18 12:01 PM Re: Waterloo [Re: Alicatt]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
22 June. This morning I went to visit the field of battle, which is a little beyond the village of Waterloo, on the plateau of Mont-Saint-Jean; but on arrival there the sight was too horrible to behold. I felt sick in the stomach and was obliged to return. The multitude of carcasses, the heaps of wounded men with mangled limbs unable to move, and perishing from not having their wounds dressed or from hunger, as the Anglo-allies were, of course, obliged to take their surgeons and waggons with them, formed a spectacle I shall never forget. The wounded, both of the Anglo-allies and the French, remain in an equally deplorable state.
— Major W. E. Frye.

There was only 16 squadrons of RAF fighters that used 100 octane during the BoB.
The Fw190A could not fly with the outer cannon removed.
There was no Fw190A-8s flying with the JGs in 1945.
#4444690 - 10/21/18 01:01 PM Re: Waterloo [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Outstanding post Alicatt and thanks for posting those pics. You really do need to get the film on DVD. Amazon should have a copy.

Thanks, I was thinking of yourself when I posted the pictures smile
Film is available on prime so I have it on my list to watch soon, thanks.

Clan Cameron
#4444756 - 10/21/18 09:43 PM Re: Waterloo [Re: Alicatt]  
Azshal Offline
"Call me Az"
Azshal  Offline
"Call me Az"

Near VSFB, California
Never let a good chance to post this go to waste:

#4444764 - 10/21/18 10:33 PM Re: Waterloo [Re: Azshal]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Originally Posted by Azshal
Never let a good chance to post this go to waste:

Of course we were singing that on the drive up to the parking at the monument biggrin

Clan Cameron
#4444780 - 10/21/18 11:51 PM Re: Waterloo [Re: Alicatt]  
Mad Max Offline
survivor
Mad Max  Offline
survivor
Hotshot

NSW, Australia
"Boney was a warrior" was sung by the Brits in the movie "Waterloo".

"You'll never take me alive" said he,
And his ghost may be heard if you pass by that billabong
"Who'll come a Waltzing Matilda with me?"

#4444802 - 10/22/18 04:46 AM Re: Waterloo [Re: Alicatt]  
Sluggish Controls Offline
Sluggish Controls  Offline

Hong Kong
Thx for sharing !

For some obscure reasons Napoleon Bonaparte is somehow still considered a great head of state in France. That little Corsican despot managed to rack up some 5 millions casualties (military and civilians) during his Napoleonic Wars.
Not too shabby for that time.

Cheers,
Slug

"Major Burns isn't saying much of anything, Sir. I think he's formulating the answer..." - Radar - M*A*S*H
#4444824 - 10/22/18 01:02 PM Re: Waterloo [Re: KraziKanuK]  
BD-123 Offline
Old Scroat
BD-123  Offline
Old Scroat

Naunton Beauchamp Worcestershi...
Originally Posted by KraziKanuK
22 June. This morning I went to visit the field of battle, which is a little beyond the village of Waterloo, on the plateau of Mont-Saint-Jean; but on arrival there the sight was too horrible to behold. I felt sick in the stomach and was obliged to return. The multitude of carcasses, the heaps of wounded men with mangled limbs unable to move, and perishing from not having their wounds dressed or from hunger, as the Anglo-allies were, of course, obliged to take their surgeons and waggons with them, formed a spectacle I shall never forget. The wounded, both of the Anglo-allies and the French, remain in an equally deplorable state.
— Major W. E. Frye.

Further grisly outcome from the war was the exploitation of the corpses to produce 'Waterloo teeth' dentures made from the extracted teeth of the dead.

#4444829 - 10/22/18 01:20 PM Re: Waterloo [Re: Sluggish Controls]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Sluggish Controls

For some obscure reasons Napoleon Bonaparte is somehow still considered a great head of state in France. That little Corsican despot managed to rack up some 5 millions casualties (military and civilians) during his Napoleonic Wars.

Cheers,
Slug

They are not obscure reasons. Ironically, Napoleon was quite the "progressive" for his time. That is why the old established monarchies like the ones in Russia, Austria and Prussia were alarmed by his rise to power. They did not want the ideas of the French Revolution spreading to their empires.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4444874 - 10/22/18 07:12 PM Re: Waterloo [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Originally Posted by Sluggish Controls

Cheers,
Slug

They are not obscure reasons. Ironically, Napoleon was quite the "progressive" for his time. That is why the old established monarchies like the ones in Russia, Austria and Prussia were alarmed by his rise to power. They did not want the ideas of the French Revolution spreading to their empires.

Also the British establishment were alarmed by his progressive ideas and that was one of the main reasons that Britain had to neutralise him.

Clan Cameron
#4444875 - 10/22/18 07:17 PM Re: Waterloo [Re: Alicatt]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Alicatt

Also the British establishment were alarmed by his progressive ideas and that was one of the main reasons that Britain had to neutralise him.

Having lost the American colonies just a couple of decades earlier, I can't blame the British for being a bit touchy on the subject of revolutions! smile

#4444925 - 10/23/18 12:44 AM Re: Waterloo [Re: Alicatt]  
Mad Max Offline
survivor
Mad Max  Offline
survivor
Hotshot

NSW, Australia
I often wonder about Napoleon and his significance. Imagine for a moment that he beat both the Brits and the Russians and established a truly European State. He had no capable successor and the whole edifice would have fallen apart like Alexander's but with less lasting effect on his death.

"You'll never take me alive" said he,
And his ghost may be heard if you pass by that billabong
"Who'll come a Waltzing Matilda with me?"

#4444944 - 10/23/18 02:20 AM Re: Waterloo [Re: Alicatt]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
I can't imagine who the people where who went out into that field and extracted the teeth from the dead. Truly a gruesome scenario.

Thanks for the post. Yet another reason why I still check out SIMHG forum's regularly.

#4444968 - 10/23/18 07:45 AM Re: Waterloo [Re: Alicatt]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Thanks LB4LB, this site has a lot of good information and a fairly good mix of people with different experiences and stories which I also like to read.

Like yesterday I was in Agusta Treverorum to give it's Roman name which they called it after the Celtic tribe that lived there, but I will start a new thread about it smile

Clan Cameron
#4444970 - 10/23/18 08:37 AM Re: Waterloo [Re: Mad Max]  
Aullido Offline
Aullido  Offline

Originally Posted by Mad Max
I often wonder about Napoleon and his significance. Imagine for a moment that he beat both the Brits and the Russians and established a truly European State. He had no capable successor and the whole edifice would have fallen apart like Alexander's but with less lasting effect on his death.

Universal metric system and democracy.

(I know they were created before, but without Napoleon they would have not spread to the rest of the world so fast.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.