Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 574 of 608 1 2 572 573 574 575 576 607 608
#4442718 - 10/08/18 04:42 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) **** [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

It looks like we are on the bullseye once more as that new hurricane heads this way. It will weaken, they say. Rain will not be the issue, they say. It is a fast mover, they say. Only 60 MPH winds, they say by the time it arrives over us. Power outages may be more than with Florence, they say. You think so? I guess this pretty well destroys the weather center's prediction of a quiet balance to this year's hurricane season that end last of Nov. Look out OG, it is almost there. If you aren't home yet from Va. it hits NC Thursday night and Friday according to reports this morning. Not a good time to be flying home.

Fittop,

Bad weather there too? Stay safe. Looks like Texas will be spared the worst of this one. All eastern states my get part of it

Speaking of MiG Alley, I like the Sabre vs MiG action in DCS. However, I need to check out the details before proceeding based on your experience. Thanks.

Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4442750 - 10/08/18 06:32 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
Gents,

Still quite mild here with even warmer temps promised in a few days. Many more fish being caught around the harbour over the last 24 hours with mackerel, herring and doggies mainly. About time too. Local friend caught 93 mackerel last night which he has bunged into his freezer.

'Find your enemy and shoot him down - everything else is unimportant.'

Manfred von Richtofen
---------------------------

#4442751 - 10/08/18 06:33 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Offline
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Offline
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

It looks like Microsoft has delivered another patchy patch, the roll out which has now thankfully been stopped, until the software engineers figure out exactly which part of the latest greatest update is responsible for deleting the contents of some users' documents folder!

Fittop, yes, the modders who have spent thousands of their hours unpaid, to enhance, improve and upgrade so many of our simulation favourites deserve our gratitude. To me it seems like they were the inspiration for publishers to start offering DLC's, a development which I'm not sure I am a big fan of. Of course obtaining extra content cannot go on unpaid when you're running a business, but sometimes the value for my money is not quite apparent to me, or in other words, some of the content seems too expensive for me.

The next development on the gaming front is said to be streaming of games so you will no longer need a PC nor a console as we have known them, but possibly a media box and a TV.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4442927 - 10/09/18 05:08 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all,

Mother Nature is making noise outside again. It will storm most of the day tomorrow, then sun will bathe the area for a couple of days.

It's been serious enough that straight line winds have been measured at sixty mph and taken a bunch of poles down; included in the damage is a house under construction that was collapsed by the wind.
There are some 30,000 folks that will be brushing their teeth by candle or portable light tonight.
That happened in an area west and some 45 minutes driving time away.

You guys in Europe and other places probably know that compared to the brick and mortar usually employed where you are, most houses in the US are wooden frames with a single brick veneer around it. There is some insulation between the materials. The wooden frame is covered with sheet-rock and plaster to cover the seams. There is usually no need to use a heavy drill to hang a picture.
We usually get to call ourselves homeowners, but the homes are as resistant as matchsticks to a 90 mph wind.

Looks like oldgronard's playground may be the closest to the threatened area by a hurricane.
Hope you and everyone makes it through fine and nothing like Andrew happens.

Please stay safe and keep in touch?

#4443189 - 10/10/18 04:52 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Gentlemenses,

Flight to Virginia Beach was a bit challenging. Much more weather than forecast and kept developing in front of me as I was leaving Georgia and through South Carolina. Wall of weather made me decide to land and wait for a break. On the ground over an hour then found a break. Flew to the next wall and landed again. On the ground for 30 minutes then another dash to another airfield. Finally broke the weather front near Florence. Delayed long enough that it was a night landing at Chesapeake, VA. The wife is not a happy flier and the time spent in light/moderate rain and a night landing made her uneasy. Old hat for me, but some new experiences for her. Flight back was better, but still had complications with weather. Takeoff delayed by fog, then good for a while, then developing clouds that kept forcing me to climb. Above some then at 10,000 feet saw that I still needed to climb for the next set. That put me into needing oxygen which I did not bring. So under it. Then clearer so climbed, only to have to go back under again. Didn’t like flying at 2,400 ft and found another chance to climb over. That worked for a while then had to go back under. Was happy to see my home field.

This hurricane, Michael, is of no issue to us. Looks like it is going to be more of an event for Fittop and JRT. Looks like worse winds than the last one, but not as much rain. You all have not had a happy end of summer.

I made a post in Community Hall that shows what the coastal land in that area looks like. Storm surge and flooding will be very bad. Unfortunately it isn’t going to peterout like the one that came into North and South Carolina. That one really fell apart and didn’t hit as hard as I expected. Mostly a rain and resulting flooding event. Not a good thing, but way better than it looked for a while.

MG - I have always been in awe of those modders who had the knowledge and time commitment to do it. I don’t fly flight sims like I did 10 years ago. EAW and IL2 were the heyday of my swimming. Now I only occasionally play EAW.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4443231 - 10/11/18 12:00 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

We wait for Michael with a pray er on the lips and fingers crossed. Once prep is done, you can only wait and wait for howling wind when the lights may go out. Losing your expensive food or maybe lodgings is better than losing your more valuable life. We'll be fine. I worry about those living where the flooding has only just receded.

OG:

Fittop claims they are all OK. We are so glad you made the trip back home safely/ Glad too that you and your family are not in the target area. Your well written narrative reads like a mail carrier's journey back in the 20's in some ways. One forgets sometimes how weather still affects pilots of today. I'll let you know on Friday how it still affects us hunkered down on the ground.

Figured you wouldn't need oxygen, eh? Hmmmmm. Izzit time to buy a slightly used Learjet 24, or maybe a 35? winkngrin

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019
#4443271 - 10/11/18 02:01 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

We meet another huge blowhard today. Michael is getting close. The wind began swaying the treetops around 9 AM. I was expecting that around 10. Speaking of "10", for us, this is predicted to be only a 10 hour event. Only? 10 hours of wind and rain before the fast moving storm goes back to sea.

Rain here is predicted (emphasis on "predicted") to be far less than with Florence (may that storm's name forever be spoken with a good spit).... SPIT! The wind will be the major factor with the current storm. Trees down, power outages, the works. Our power stayed on with Florence. Ahhh, well, our first taste of fall weather is on the way this weekend. Things weatherwise aren't all bad

The worst wind gusts Michael can bring to us are expected to hit us during the dark hours. Winds 40-50 MPH are expected over night with the storm waving bye, bye and hitting us with a parting blast of higher gusts early morning. I have noticed in the past that, like the rear end of an elephant, the rear end of a big storm can be well worth avoiding. A blast from either can ruin your pleasant outlook for the whole day. Oh, did I mention there have already been tornado watches and one warning already and the storm isn't in NC yet.

We're going to be OK. In the morning, we'll be done with one more windy beast, but, how do the tropics look right now? Are there more nasty surprises being spit out of Africa? There's another similar word to "spit" I might have used with more effect. Will someone please go to west Africa and put a big cork in it? winkngrin

#4443389 - 10/12/18 04:34 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'll,

Welcome home, OG. Glad it was a safe flight, though it sounds like it had its moments.

Hopefully JRT is also safe with his furry friends.
As far as I can tell the main part of the storm is past him but heavy weather is still a factor.

The devastation seen on TV and photos and videos of the Florida coastline is heartbreaking.
That used to be a favorite area of mine with its sand that shines at night. Used to take delight in having coffee as I watched the heavy equipment erasing yesterdays footprints and taking away the seaweed to present a clean beach to tourists each morning.
Always wondered how nice it would be to live there. Even in winter with the beach shacks closed and looking lonely.
But then, I've wondered the same in other beaches from California to Maine and from Nice, France to Fuengirola, Spain.

I'm sure by now its been overbuilt, but nevertheless each place stands for someone's tomorrow dream today.
Now I wonder how long will it be before the sound of footsteps on crushed shell announces the arrival of a friend or customer.

#4443440 - 10/12/18 02:59 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Indeed, after midnight, the remnants of Michael were gone from NC. Our area was mostly spared the highest winds and heaviest rainfall. However rivers that did not rise with Florence are said to be rising today but they are NOT expected to rise above flood stage. Most of what I have heard about as to damage from wind was west of us. In our western mountains there was great flooding. This they missed with Florence as it was mostly an eastern event. Far too many are grieving for loved ones lost with these two hurricanes.

Florida took the brunt of this last one. We wish them a swift recovery. I can only imagine what that storm was like when it made landfall. If storms get more numerous and more powerful than these, someone move over in Canada... I'll be needing a seat. winkngrin

#4443585 - 10/13/18 02:45 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA

Folks,

Today is a brighter day indeed... for the lucky amongst us, that is. Those of you who were not on Florida's panhandle when Michael hit and those kept safe in other states affected by the storm including mine. The number of lost and missing continues to climb. The cost of reconstruction and recovery mounts daily. Like a congressman once quipped about the federal budget, "A million here and a million there and before long, you're talking real money." It is all too real in Florida and growing as losses are tallied. They cannot put a price on the lives lost or the cost to families whose homes were destroyed and thus their normal lives totally disrupted in just a few moments of nature's power coming to bare upon them. Yes, those of us not there or had loved one's there were so very lucky.

The temp here right now, at 10:10 AM, is a fall-like 58° F. Tonight, temps will fall (there's that cool word again) into the 40's F. I cannot recall a hurricane that caused us any worry in October. Maybe I forgot it. All the hurricanes I remember bothering us here left smothering heat and humidity in their wake. So far, this cooler weather is the only thing I can't complain about. Yes, LeRoy, compared to the lower states who really suffer from the power of Michael, I have NOTHING to complain about whatsoever. Where I live was spared. I can, however, complain about their pain and anguish and that in my state west of us.

I lost two people I cared very much for on this date. One, Carolyn, in 1976 due to cancer and another Danyell, in 2012 in a tragic motorcycle accident. They both were lovely, fine young women who left young children behind. I remember them often and always on this date.

So, today, I've seen the sun, felt the cool of my 74th fall. Remembered two good friend no longer with us. And recounted my many blessings.

For my breakfast, I have enjoyed fresh picked (picked out of the freezer) delicious blueberries swimming in creamy milk and raw honey in my widdle cereal bowl. There were plump raisins and a personal blend of crunchy cereals too. Yup, I'm a lucky fellow. I hope you and yours are even luckier and counting your blessings on this fine Saturday in October.

#4443653 - 10/14/18 04:58 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all,

JRT, my condolences on the loss of your friends, even if the loss was a while ago.
There are a couple of friends I also miss daily.

There seem to be more pictures of the damage and loss of the latest disasters. The use of quality cameras helps, as well as the use of drones.
Like others, I do seem attracted to them and despair at the helplessness.
Somehow a donation does not seem enough when one thinks of the loss of lives, homes, facilities and power and other utilities.
Never mind the irreplaceable pictures, and other souvenirs of prior life.

The front that announced Summer has left the area has been replaced by another that will flip the switch essentially banning shorts and dictating jackets will be worn outside.
This one will arrive Sunday night and drop the temperature from 79 to 48F for a high.

It will not shut off the moisture machine that cancelled an airshow today, and make tomorrow's edition iffy. Or at least my attendance iffy. This was the Thunderbirds and modern jets.

Next weekend we have another chance with older WWII aircraft at a different airport.
That may be more fun, but the sneaky rain forecast for it is also putting a damper on expectations.

Airshows do not seem to be advertised as much anymore. That's a shame.
Seems like their prices have risen also. But I like airplanes.

#4443699 - 10/14/18 05:47 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Folks,

If you like airplanes and folks who also love 'em, Mr. Fittop, you've stumbled once more into the right place. Thank you for your condolences. It is easier to cope with now but not forgotten, Never forgotten even though one was 42 years ago, the other only 6.

We have a local air show annually at the old Wilson airport that is free to attend. And there is the big open house and airshow at Seymour Johnson AFB 35 miles from us. There are others we never get to at Bragg and Pope AFB. I'd dearly love to attend Oshkosh at least once. I had the opportunity to go with several pilot friends back in the early 70's but was unable to do so. Heck, I've been to the Smithsonian but that was before the Air and Space museum was built. Maybe in the next two or three lives I get to do all that I missed in this one. This one is going by way too fast. Before I know it, next I'll probably begin feeling old. winkngrin

#4443887 - 10/16/18 04:46 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all,

Wish I were fishing with Dux since the temperatures here dropped to 41F after a high in the 80s.
Same prognosis for the morning, again with rain predictions. Monday morning must have been a bear on the roads.
One major artery was closed for a few hours due to a crash with fatalities.

Car repair and insurance companies should be on high alert.

On the other side of the Metroplex, complaints about sewage raising its smelly head due to the rising water due to flooding.
Flooding is also forcing first responders to once again exercise their life-saving skills in severe situations.
Those guys and Johnny-on-the-spot civilian helpers have saved many out of pickles.

I am hoping that is the worst of local happenings. I'm not even counting being without internet and wi-fi for most of the day.
It’s a bit selfish considering the challenges others from St Croix to Virginia are still facing.
No facilities, no utilities to get a warm cup or ice to keep food longer nor safe water to drink.
Yes, I know those challenges don’t stop at our borders.

McGonigle, I assume “DLC” has got to do with Downloaded games and mods as in CloD?

Have had the pleasure of seeing the offerings of the Air and Space part of the Smithsonian a few times.
Even took my young son there once. The museum is still a wonder to me.
There is an area in DC where they keep the overflow and work to restore the dreams and wings for rotation into the exhibitions.

Of course, have paid my respects at Arlington and the VN Memorial; always a moving experience.
The last time I was in DC the WWII area had just opened.

Yet never had the pleasure of going to Oshkosh.

#4443904 - 10/16/18 09:01 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Offline
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Offline
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

Fittop; The DLC I was thinking of is Downloadable Content all right, but also the kind of downloadable content that you pay for, i.e. micro transactions where you buy extra mods or gear from the developer.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4444386 - 10/19/18 05:02 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all.

Thank you, Sir! It was a night too full of initials for me to keep them all straight.

I hope your warmer weather is holding, as it seems we've had had more rain in the last forty days than we had since the start of the year to the end of August.
The drought that had gripped most of the state, in some cases a severe case of it, is almost totally gone.
In its place we have some cases of sewers overflowing which lead me to guilt feelings of not being up to date on cholera and other shots.
If I remember correctly that shot made the area tender for a few days. Worse, it had to be repeated fairly often.

It does appear that the plans to build an ark have been probably misplaced.

A glimpse of the sun would help, but tomorrow will again bring liquid sunshine and it isn't until Sunday that we can hope to see our shadows.
It will effectively negate my chances to see the WWII airshow due to prior commitments Sunday. Oh well.

#4444435 - 10/19/18 02:02 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

The sun shines brightly and our current temp at 9:30 AM is 46° F. / 8° C. The expected high will be in the mid to upper 60's F. It seems we are everyone survivors, one way or another, this surprisingly wet and windy fall.

We had so many "frog strangler" downpours during the big storms that I thought there could be no frogs left. Yet, the last warm spell before the cooler weather finally began, the soft, night air was filled with a mixed chorus of frog and cricket song. Life goes on with the promise of more nighttime, spring and summer, concerts to come.

Fittop:

If sewer water rises neck deep or a bit higher, remember to post signs that state "Make NO Waves". Really, it's nothing to make fun of. Something like that is smelly,dangerous and creates the potential for deadly pestilence and disease. I hope you have no such troubles.

Coal ash spilling into water sources from power plants is a menace in NC. In our state, farmers raise a lot of hogs. One of the worst ecological problems, after hurricanes or other big storms, has been large hog waste lagoons overflowing. Talk about a health hazard, talk about a face contorting stench. On a hot day, it smells like the thick odor could strip the paint right off your car as you speed by, windows up tight and noses pinched. Ever smelled a paper plant in operation in the summer? Multiply that revolting odor by 10 or maybe 20. winkngrin

#4444483 - 10/19/18 06:51 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Offline
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Offline
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

Funny how the temperatures compare. After a reasonably warm period with temperatures up to 68 F / 20 C, we're now at slightly lower temperatures 55 F / 13 C. Next week threatens with low temperatures and lots of wind. I've been using the good weather to get some bicycling in of course. The time for the indoor turbo trainer will come soon enough.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4444627 - 10/20/18 09:45 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all,

Hope it's been a good weekend for all. We have a reprieve here with the fog dissipating and the the sun showing its smile by 9 am or so.

We have been lucky in this area of the Metroplex since no sewer covers have been lifted by water in this area.
The breaks and overflows in your state have made national news, JRT.
I do remember the airplane walk-arounds in Little Rock in which certain days betrayed the paper mill operation across the river. Loading bags may not be the best job in those days.

Hope the local, well, way South of me, air show went well. The breeze that showed this afternoon will die down for tomorrow, but the journey from here to there will be hampered by the last day of the State Fair crowds. Hope the vendors at least broke even as the rain really thinned the good days.

Not sure when the baseball World Series starts, but the Boston Red Soxs will be in it. Seems like fans frustrated what might have been a good catch and Houston will not show.

#4444701 - 10/21/18 03:00 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Today is truly a "Sun" Day. Though Ol' Sol seems a bit anemic this morning. We had a chilly night and tonight promises to be downright cold. It is about time for that and no one have I heard complaining. Current Temp at 10 AM is 48° F./ 9° C. headed upward to the low 60's as the high for today. Much warmer here than in Wisconsin where family members have been visiting. They got a pile of snow. If I hadn't gone to college in Michigan, this southern lad couldn't even imagine snow falling in October.

Reports from the weather ouija board crowd indicate we are in for more snow than usual this year. Of course we have years with no snow at all. So that might mean just an inch or two. wink I like snow. At least I like the first few days of it. After that and the muddy mess after it melts, not so much. At least we are not subjected to those ugly growing piles of soot and dirt encrusted mountains of old snow you see rising in parking lots etc. in our northern states all winter long. ☃️

I am pleased to read that you had no manhole covers blown off in your area of the "Lone Star" state Fittop. If hurricanes could somehow shiver their destructive way upon us in icy, cold weather, just imagine the snowfall they would bring. It might be measured in yards, not inches. ❄️

No danger in that happening. Like cow pies raining from the sky if cows could fly, I suppose we are all mighty thankful that can't happen too. 🐄 Colder weather in fall reminds us that Christmas is coming nearer, so that is a good thing. Or maybe not everyone feels that way about the coming of that holly day?

Maybe a cranky squirrel just awakened from hibernation by being hit with a fistfull of tensilel (do folks still use that stuff?) jumped on you from inside your Christmas tree and bit you on the... er... the nose or something? That could change your view on the season.

If you receive a large quantity of coal and switches in your sock every Christmas Eve that could do it too.

Could be your best girl threw you over for a big box store Santa two days before your wedding day on on Christmas Eve. I think that would affect your view of Christmas. If so, I wish you better luck this year.

If any of that happened to you, here are some helpful hints:

Shake your tree before bringing it inside and stay away from angry critters.
Do something nice for a stranger.
Be far more careful in vetting your next five or six fiances. No, LeRoy, not THAT kind of vetting. They wouldn't likely all be dogs.

Perhaps then you'll enjoy the holly day season once more, eh? I hope so. 🎅🏼

#4445933 - 10/29/18 02:58 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all,

I see us straggling back from the days away-from-the-war we took.

I know, we have to get set up for the coming hordes of gremlins and cute little buggers dressed up in costumes of heroes that we may not recognize.
Or at least this old guy can't seem to keep up with.
But the little one are the cutest. Again, I'll prepare to help make peanut butter and something eyeballs with chocolate chips for pupils.
Again, I'll accept eating a few of them later as payment.

Meanwhile I am assuming JRT is setting up a move? As long as everyone is well and refreshed we'll be happy.
Sorry, but useful as they may be, spiders are not my best friends. mycomputer

Page 574 of 608 1 2 572 573 574 575 576 607 608

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.