Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4442022 - 10/03/18 01:38 PM What's your method of attacking two-seaters?  
Nowi Offline
Nowi  Offline

Florida
I usually come in from behind and below. The other day I was in a fine diving machine and had an altitude advantage. What the hell! I dove on the thing from above and ... you guessed it! Head shot or whatever and I was deceased.

I've already toned down fire from rear gunners.

But what's you favorite, and hopefully usually successful, tactic?

I'm at the point that tangling with a two-seater is scarier than taking on MvR in his Triplane.

I don't know how many times my career's have ended at the hands of a Strutter or a Roland.

Nowi

Nowi
#4442029 - 10/03/18 02:25 PM Re: What's your method of attacking two-seaters? [Re: Nowi]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man

L'Etoile du Nord

Nowi, you might find this old thread helpful:

Shooting Down 2-Seaters

Cheers!

Lou

Attached Files WOFF_DID_British_DSO_Robert_Drummond_001.jpgFrederick Abbott mission 11-15-18 001.jpgSupermarine_Channel_001.jpgBiarritz 1921 001.jpg
#4442032 - 10/03/18 02:47 PM Re: What's your method of attacking two-seaters? [Re: Nowi]  
Nowi Offline
Nowi  Offline

Florida
Many thanks!

I’ll try the head on to start.

Nowi

Nowi
#4442065 - 10/03/18 07:18 PM Re: What's your method of attacking two-seaters? [Re: Nowi]  
Burning_Beard Offline
Burning_Beard  Offline

Red Bluff, CA
My favorite was is to light them up on the tac and hit the Attack command, wink

Beard

More Scotch and Stogies for my Wingman!
#4442076 - 10/03/18 09:10 PM Re: What's your method of attacking two-seaters? [Re: Burning_Beard]  
jerbear Online content
jerbear  Online Content

I agree with Burning Beard: If your in charge, let someone else do it. I'm scared of the suckers. I usually try to attack one that's going home, sneak up from well underneath, pop off some rounds from about 200 yards of so then dive of split S away from them. If I think their hurt I'll be bolder and, of course, if I think the observer is down I go right for them. A few times I have gotten well ahead of them, fired at one, dove underneath and yanked the stick up for a shot on my back at him, but I usually don't hit anything. I've been downed by them too often to play with them if I don't have too. If I'm behind my own lines and have plenty of ammo I might blast away at 300 yards or so, sometimes I get lucky and hurt one.

#4442091 - 10/03/18 10:16 PM Re: What's your method of attacking two-seaters? [Re: Nowi]  
Nowi Offline
Nowi  Offline

Florida
It’s nice to know it’s not just me.

Nowi

Nowi
#4442118 - 10/04/18 12:50 AM Re: What's your method of attacking two-seaters? [Re: Nowi]  
Dark_Canuck Offline
Dark_Canuck  Offline

Canada
Usually I let them fill me full of holes.

But I find the safest way is to fly a two seater myself. I fly under them and let my observer have a go.

#4442642 - 10/07/18 09:44 PM Re: What's your method of attacking two-seaters? [Re: Nowi]  
Waldemar_Kurtz Offline
Waldemar_Kurtz  Offline

I used to do this all the time in "Between Heaven and Hell"... which is to fly up in a Nieuport loaded with le Prieur rockets. then I'd attack from below and behind and shoot off one rocket at a time from either side until I ran out of them.. it typically didn't work.. but when it DID shoot down enemy aircraft it was pretty impressive.

I admit that I haven't tried this out in WOFF UE yet.

#4442646 - 10/07/18 11:11 PM Re: What's your method of attacking two-seaters? [Re: Nowi]  
Nowi Offline
Nowi  Offline

Florida
Can you fire off your rockets individually? How?

Nowi
#4442648 - 10/07/18 11:56 PM Re: What's your method of attacking two-seaters? [Re: Nowi]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Very carefully is one method. I use long Range shooting or a high side pass , but go well clear before turning back. I have picked up a few attacking as the second aircraft after the leed a/c pulls away. or after the gunner eats it.

#4442655 - 10/08/18 01:11 AM Re: What's your method of attacking two-seaters? [Re: Nowi]  
Waldemar_Kurtz Offline
Waldemar_Kurtz  Offline

you can't fire off rockets individually in the newest version. this is something that I used to do... back when the rockets were configured more like the original CFS3 game.

I try out the planes I want to shoot down one in free flight. I put it on autopilot and jump in the observer's chair and swing the gun through the entire radius of motion and try remember the blind spots.

I don't avoid attacking two-seaters unless there's nothing I can meaningfully do to them. shooting down two-seaters is the whole reason that fighters were invented!

RAF_Louvert's linked method is solid. it's actually what I generally do when I attack the Roland C.II on any flight simulator. his technique is useful because he's attacking from slightly below and in front. because of the placement of the aircraft's engine and wings this is a blind spot for MOST two-seater pilots. just as importantly, it's a blind spot for their machine gunners as well. for the Roland, it's a really bad blind spot. so it's just about perfect. the DFW has a pretty long nose. so don't be surprised if those two-seaters don't even realize they're being attacked until bullets start hitting them.

that being said... I wouldn't recommend this specific method when attacking the FE2b or the Caudron G.IV!

one similar method of attacking two-seaters/bombers that I've used in nearly every flight sim is this:

it's basically a dive-bombing style attack using machine guns. approach enemy formation from above and in front. you should have about 2000-to-4000 ft worth of altitude advantage. dive down at about 45 degrees and reach maximum safe speed. point your nose about 100 yards in front of the enemy and open fire so that within a fraction of a second the enemy will fly into your bullets. gradually ease up on your descent angle and start leveling out. the whole time your gun should be firing at the engine. you could try to aim for the pilot... but with this method of attack the engine gets more reliable results.

your combined closing speed should be very fast. if you level out slightly below and in front of the enemy you'll still have a lot of residual speed built up from your dive. if the enemy turns to attack you then you can keep diving and create a huge amount of separation. the other option is to zoom-climb with your remaining energy. if the enemy flies on straight then you can assess how bad the damage is. if you've damaged somebody badly enough to drive them out of formation then go in for the kill after they'e fallen behind. if enemy scouts have shown up then you might have to settle for merely scaring those two-seaters.

against planes with large blind spots in front... this method is great. I wouldn't advise it for the FE2b or other planes with free-mounted machine guns on the bow. in those cases the best thing to do is to attack from below and behind.

Last edited by Waldemar_Kurtz; 10/08/18 01:18 AM.
#4442657 - 10/08/18 01:39 AM Re: What's your method of attacking two-seaters? [Re: Nowi]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
Originally Posted by Nowi

In UE, as in real life, the Le Prieurs all fired on the same button push.

#4442673 - 10/08/18 05:42 AM Re: What's your method of attacking two-seaters? [Re: Raine]  
JJJ65 Offline
JJJ65  Offline

Czech Rep.
Originally Posted by Raine
Originally Posted by Nowi

In UE, as in real life, the Le Prieurs all fired on the same button push.

Yes, you can. Just open Simulation.xml file in any text editor, locate the line
rocketMode="all"
and change it to
rocketMode="ones"
Save file and play wink

#4442682 - 10/08/18 10:56 AM Re: What's your method of attacking two-seaters? [Re: Nowi]  
Nowi Offline
Nowi  Offline

Florida
Thanks!

Nowi
#4449084 - 11/16/18 10:20 PM Re: What's your method of attacking two-seaters? [Re: Nowi]  
Waldemar_Kurtz Offline
Waldemar_Kurtz  Offline

the first time I tried stalking up underneath a pair of Aviatik B.I during a campaign was pretty confusing. I thought to myself... "I've flown these before in Free Flight... they don't have any weapons. so I should be able to take this guy down."

there was no visible weaponry on the aircraft... and yet my wingman and I were clearly shot down and killed by machine gun fire within 15 seconds of each other.

I'm curious... in campaign mode do all of the Aviatik's defeault to the Aviatik C.I flight, damage, and weapons model? I was hoping that the B.I and B.II might have a rifle armed observer like the early BE2c. hopefully this can get done in future installations of the mod. (that's not a tiny change! but it would be nice to see.)

#4449261 - 11/18/18 02:21 AM Re: What's your method of attacking two-seaters? [Re: Nowi]  
Ace_Pilto Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber
Ace_Pilto  Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber

Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
I rarely see 2 seaters which always strikes me as odd. When I do I usually look for a blind spot, if I have the luxury of being in a scout that performs well enough to exploit it, or I bring friends. If you have another friendly attacking you can watch the gunners and close in when they're distracted, just watch out for when they get undistracted though. Also, each gunner behaves differently, some of them are quite slow to react so being observant and out observing the observer often gives you a chance to deal some damage.

I also use the mod that makes them less accurate, this helps somewhat. You still want to be very careful when flying too close to them however, especially since many 2 seater types are quite bullet spongy. Don't get greedy and don't follow them down over the lines.

(P.S. For attacking the Caudron, that huge lattice tail hides a multitude of sins, if you can get right on up behind one by using his own tail as cover, you can shoot them down from very close range)

Let's pretend I got the BWOC badge to embed here.

Wenn ihr sieg im deine Kampf selbst gegen, wirst stark wie Stahl sein.
"The best techniques are passed on by the survivors." - Gaiden Shinji
#4449269 - 11/18/18 03:02 AM Re: What's your method of attacking two-seaters? [Re: Nowi]  
Waldemar_Kurtz Offline
Waldemar_Kurtz  Offline

ironically, I'm working my way towards by a Caudron G4 ace right now. but, yes, that thing is covered in blind spots!

last night I got my Caudron within 25 yards of an Aviatik blind spot at 6 o'clock, jumped into the observer's station, and then promptly shot away both of the enemy plane's lower wings, and punctured his fuel tank. I let my observers do most of the shooting... but there are some times where I find it's easier to score lethal hits if I do the flying and shooting myself. the AI auto-pilot is not particularly skilled or aggressive... and depending on the observer, they open fire from too far away, or miss numerous opportunities to score hits.

sometimes, if I've got a wingman attacking an enemy two-seater from behind I'll attack at the same aircraft from 2-3 o'clock or 8- 9 o'clock. there's a couple of reasons for this:

1. I'm confident in my gunnery skills (or my observer) that I can score some damage
2. it reduces the probability of friendly collisions if I'm not -CHASING- the same enemy plane
3. although those high angle deflection shots don't typically shoot down any planes they're impossible to defend against without turning since they're already being attacked by a squad-mate...
4. if they turn away from me that leaves them vulnerable to two aircraft shooting at them.
5. if they turn towards me I turn away from them AND my squad mate. reduces friendly collision risk, gets me out of the line of fire and I can then set up an attack on the enemy 6 o'clock or 3 o'clock again
6. I lose fewer wingmen that way AND they tend to get more victories that way.

the trade-off is that I get fewer victories this way.... but if I get better squad mates as a result that's probably worth it.

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans