Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4442563 - 10/07/18 12:25 AM Easy Flight Model and Stalls...  
trek Offline
trek  Offline

Love this game as well as WOFF UE. The atmosphere is second to none. Like many of you here I own all the current popular combat flight sims. I'm also 71 years old now and have been flying sims since the very beginnings of PC games. I usually fly my other sims in Easy or Normal difficulty as my reflexes are not what they used to be. But I have a request to make concerning WOTR.

Now, I don't want to start a flame war about WOTR's flight model as that has already been discussed in another thread and no, I've never flown a real airplane. For some reason WOTR has the most difficult flight model as far as stalls I've ever encountered. For those of you looking for realism maybe it's what you want and I'm fine with that and you have the option to choose Realistic or Normal model. However since WOTR has an EASY flight model it seems to me that the frequency of stalls occurrence should be less for this model if you choose this option. I know all about stick control and smoothness as well as the next flight simmer but in my own personal opinion the stalls especially in Easy mode are way over done.

This is fast becoming a deal-breaker for me playing WOTR and the last thing I want to do is quit playing this wonderful game. Is it possible that the Easy flight model can be tweaked a little to reduce the stall factor? Or alternatively is there a config. file that can be manually adjusted to make this fix?

Somehow I don't think that I'm the only person here that may think this way but if I am at least I've made the request and hopefully I've stated my case fairly. Thanks.

#4442565 - 10/07/18 01:25 AM Re: Easy Flight Model and Stalls... [Re: trek]  
Ace_Pilto Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber
Ace_Pilto  Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber

Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
Have you calibrated your joystick recently? Every stick is different and some might be a bit more sensitive than they need to be. That would be my first item to eliminate, make sure that the hardware at your end is set up and performing as desired.

I had similar problems myself with Il-2, things being too sensitive made it incredibly difficult to fly well. It wasn't a fault with the game but with the way I had things configured. I'm not sure what options are available for WoTR inre stick setup but I'm sure someone could help you out.

Last edited by Ace_Pilto; 10/07/18 01:25 AM.

Let's pretend I got the BWOC badge to embed here.

Wenn ihr sieg im deine Kampf selbst gegen, wirst stark wie Stahl sein.
"The best techniques are passed on by the survivors." - Gaiden Shinji
#4442574 - 10/07/18 02:56 AM Re: Easy Flight Model and Stalls... [Re: trek]  
trek Offline
trek  Offline

Ace,
Good suggestion but my Joystick IS calibrated. Works great on DCS, IL-2 BOS, Il-2 COD, ROF and WOFF UE. That is what I mean't when I stated "I know all about stick control and smoothness." If you've been Simming as long as I have the first thing you always check is your hardware and secondly that you understand the particular options provided with said game. This is not a problem with one's particular hardware, this is simply a chosen modeling of flight behavior that should be tweaked to reflect as I said: Easy, Normal and Realistic models. That is all I'm asking for in my OP. I haven't had to resort to this request in any other flight sim. I posted a query about the stalls in a previous post and several people seemed to think I was on to something. Maybe we are the only ones? I guess only time and any responses here will tell. But thank you for the response, it's always good to remind someone of these things and check to see if they've covered all the bases.

#4442580 - 10/07/18 07:15 AM Re: Easy Flight Model and Stalls... [Re: trek]  
Ace_Pilto Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber
Ace_Pilto  Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber

Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
Well you might "know all about" it but not "all about" how to configure it for this game in particular, which was my point. Perhaps you and your several unnamed people could collaborate and find what your collective malfunction is?

Last edited by Ace_Pilto; 10/07/18 07:21 AM.

Let's pretend I got the BWOC badge to embed here.

Wenn ihr sieg im deine Kampf selbst gegen, wirst stark wie Stahl sein.
"The best techniques are passed on by the survivors." - Gaiden Shinji
#4442604 - 10/07/18 01:06 PM Re: Easy Flight Model and Stalls... [Re: trek]  
trek Offline
trek  Offline

Well, you seem to get your back up very easily don't you. Instead of reading what I said you read between the lines. I stated my experience with flight sims and that I own WOFF UE as well. And obviously my OP was about this game in particular. I would not have posted this request if I hadn't tried all the fixes beforehand. The "unnamed people" you can probably find in my previous post if you look on this forum.

Tell me, what is your problem if the Easy Flight Model is tweaked a little bit. Will it affect you personally? I have friends that can't fly DCS because they simply aren't good any more with flight sims. Maybe if an easy mode was easier for them the game would sell more copies to people just like them. I don't consider my self and elite type of gamer because I flight sim and neither should any of us.

As far as my "collective malfunction" it consists of patience which I learned in the jungles of 'Nam. And after that experience I question everything and realize that their is always room for improvement in most instances. Maybe you should work on your patience and not react in such a combative way. And try working on your reading retention as well. Do you own stock in OBD? Do you have any kind of financial stake in this game? Otherwise, I don't understand the attitude.

Again it's a simple request I made and I reiterate that I did not want to start a flame war, so put down your torch.

#4442613 - 10/07/18 02:47 PM Re: Easy Flight Model and Stalls... [Re: trek]  
Trooper117 Offline
Hotshot
Trooper117  Offline
Hotshot

UK
I fly realistic mode, (as far as it can be in a game, lol) but I have yet to encounter a stall in the Hurri or the 109.
I'll have to induce a stall and see if the standard recovery procedure works.

#4442626 - 10/07/18 05:55 PM Re: Easy Flight Model and Stalls... [Re: trek]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Thanks for the comments, the advice works for me to avoid stalls keeping speed up, press Shift+F6 to get the dials up maybe easier to see when speed it low.

I understand as you get older it can be trickier with responses etc. Not sure it's possible to change the Easy mode to work differently -but it's noted.

There's some good advice above on adjusting sensitivity , may be needed in WOTR in your case.

Run WOTRkeys (toolbox) and with your controller click on the current bindings for Axis X, click advanced button just above, in the Scale section click down F until is shows 34 or around there.
Do the same for Y and Z axis. Click Save go try it see if it helps.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4442632 - 10/07/18 07:46 PM Re: Easy Flight Model and Stalls... [Re: Trooper117]  
77_Scout Offline
77_Scout  Offline

Vancouver Island, Canada
Originally Posted by Trooper117
I fly realistic mode, (as far as it can be in a game, lol) but I have yet to encounter a stall in the Hurri or the 109.
I'll have to induce a stall and see if the standard recovery procedure works.

Agree that the Hurricane is hard to stall if you fly smart. I was stalling a lot in my early digfights because I was jerking the controls around and trying to turn too sharp.
Fly smooth, make bigger faster turns, keep airspeed high.

#4442698 - 10/08/18 01:42 PM Re: Easy Flight Model and Stalls... [Re: Polovski]  
bweiss Offline
bweiss  Offline

Originally Posted by Polovski
Run WOTRkeys (toolbox) and with your controller click on the current bindings for Axis X, click advanced button just above, in the Scale section click down F until is shows 34 or around there.
Do the same for Y and Z axis. Click Save go try it see if it helps.

Thanks for that info Polovski. I'm fairly new to WOFF (few months), and just got WOTR installed and I'm still tinkering with the key assignments and test flights, so this tip was very useful. I like tweakery.

My (X, Y, Z), Scale is set to 64 out of the box but I haven't experienced any difficulty with stalls. Actually tried a couple times to make a Hurri stall. Succeeded. Pulled out of it with no trouble and figured all was okay. But scale down to 34? That's a long ways from the 64 default. I'll try that and see what the result is since all of these settings are mostly "to taste" per the individual and their particular rig and controllers.

~Salute!

Last edited by bweiss; 10/08/18 01:50 PM.

"War: first, one hopes to win; then one expects the enemy to lose;
then, one is satisfied that he too is suffering; in the end,
one is surprised that everyone has lost."

-Karl Kraus, Die Fackel, October 19, 1917
#4442966 - 10/09/18 12:16 PM Re: Easy Flight Model and Stalls... [Re: trek]  
trek Offline
trek  Offline

Polovski, Trooper117, 77_scout and bweiss,

Thanks guys for the comments and advice. And Polovski I'd looked at that Advanced Scale Option before but was not familiar with it so I hadn't made any changes. I've spent a few hours trying out your suggestions. I even went to extremes on the scale factors. I haven't had any luck. On WOFF UE I've experienced some stall problems but not anywhere near what is going on in WOTR. I seem to go into stalls in this game without even trying and it's very odd and frustrating.

So, let me take a different tack here. I'm using a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro. I've had other sticks in the past with foot pedals, etc. but the last few years I've found using the Logitech much easier to setup and use since I fly so many Flight Sims. As I mentioned in my OP I've never had any problems with the stick in any of those games. I've never even had to do a recalibration or input response curves in any of them either. Now, with WOTR the process of setting up my stick in the controls section is one of the most straightforward and easiest ever and all stick buttons are assigned and working perfectly. No complaints at all there. When setting all the axes everything seems correct.

So, after saying all the above are there any of you here using the same Logitech stick I have and have you had any problems like I'm experiencing. Did you do have to do anything special in setting up your axes? Have you had to recalibrate your stick for WOTR? I'm thinking that maybe I should try using the Logitech Stick Software to see if that will help with this particular problem. I'm beginning to think my Logitech and WOTR just don't like each other when flying!

Any thoughts, tips or helpful ideas will be appreciated.

#4442968 - 10/09/18 12:57 PM Re: Easy Flight Model and Stalls... [Re: trek]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

trek, I couldn't tell from the above post if you are currently using pedals. I found that I was inadvertently twisting my stick in combat which was messing up my rudder inputs. If you have both a stick and pedals, make sure to turn off the twist control in the workshop and just use the pedals and see if that helps. salute

The older I get, the more I realize I don't need to be Han, Luke or Leia. I'm just happy to be rebel scum...
#4443009 - 10/09/18 04:17 PM Re: Easy Flight Model and Stalls... [Re: trek]  
trek Offline
trek  Offline

Rick,
Apologies if my post wasn't clear. No I'm not using pedals anymore. Thank you for the response though. At this point I'm open for trying anything.

#4443030 - 10/09/18 05:58 PM Re: Easy Flight Model and Stalls... [Re: trek]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Ok, something that I had to do in WOFF but not so much in WOTR was to increase the dead zone a lot. Flightsticks have a much smaller "throw" than a real control stick would, so inputs are magnified. Maybe try that and see if it helps? Are you flying the Hurricane or the 109. I've only flown the 109 once, but I found it much easier to stall. Have you tried UPPING the difficulty? (Sounds weird, but worth a try maybe!) Let us know and we'll take it from there!
RR

The older I get, the more I realize I don't need to be Han, Luke or Leia. I'm just happy to be rebel scum...
#4443038 - 10/09/18 06:08 PM Re: Easy Flight Model and Stalls... [Re: trek]  
trek Offline
trek  Offline

Rick,
Yeah, good point. I'll give DZ increase a try. I've been flying the 109 mostly. Tried the Hurri once, seemed to be about the same for me. Also tried changing the difficulty briefly. I'll fire up WOTR again and try different combos of difficulty, autotrim toggle and scale factors.

BTW, under engine controls what is the D key command for Spoilers for? Haven't seen that one in any of my other sims AFAIK.

#4443048 - 10/09/18 07:33 PM Re: Easy Flight Model and Stalls... [Re: trek]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

I thought the 109 was twitchier, I think it shows up in my video. I believe the dead zone will help somewhat especially in the midst of combat where we tend to get a bit... overzealous on the stick rofl

#4443050 - 10/09/18 08:13 PM Re: Easy Flight Model and Stalls... [Re: trek]  
trek Offline
trek  Offline

Correction: Spoilers are under aircraft controls and I remember now that they are speed brakes. Yeah, 109 is more of a handful to be sure. I'm still having the same difficulties. Maybe I'll spring for a new joystick to try on WOTR. I'm thinking of a Thrustmaster T16000M FCS. Trying to decide if I want just the regular one or the HOTAS model. Do you or anyone here have this one and does it work well with WOTR and WOFF UE? I've also looked at the Logitech X52 Pro HOTAS which is the former Saitek brand but most reviewers seem to like the Thrustmaster better. If another stick will work better with this particular game I don't have a problem buying another one just for WOTR.

Anyone else here have these sticks and want to voice comments or opinions on them?

#4443051 - 10/09/18 08:22 PM Re: Easy Flight Model and Stalls... [Re: trek]  
kksnowbear Offline
kksnowbear  Offline

Hey trek, you know it just occurred to me...even though my "regular" stick is another type, I do actually have the same Logitech stick as you (actually, two) and have used it without the trouble youre describing. I know its not much help in identifying the issue, but i just realized this and thought you should know before you pay to replace your stick (which probably isn't the problem).

I hope this helps somehow.

#4443057 - 10/09/18 09:10 PM Re: Easy Flight Model and Stalls... [Re: trek]  
trek Offline
trek  Offline

kksnowbear,
Thanks for the info. I'll probably figure this out eventually and since I'm retired I've got plenty of free time. I just don't get why WOTR has become such a hard nut to crack so to speak. I'm curious, you say you have another "regular" stick I assume you use more. What brand and type is it and how would you compare it with the Logitech ? I've contemplated getting a HOTAS type for awhile especially for DCS so I'm looking for real user evaluations on the subject.

#4443062 - 10/09/18 09:36 PM Re: Easy Flight Model and Stalls... [Re: trek]  
kksnowbear Offline
kksnowbear  Offline

biggrin Well I'm too cheap to buy the expensive flightsim gear...my usual stick is an old MicroSoft non-FFB SideWinder Precision 2. The two others ( Logitech , same as yours) were bought years ago for my two sons who never really got into flight sims. I use them now for when I have other machines set up on one of the benches I use (I build PCs for 're-homing' as a part-time hobby). Keeps me from having to rip my own desktop setup apart just to test stuff. I had a spare TrackIR for a while, but sold it.

The big difference in the Logitech unit is it's far, far more 'stiff', which can take some getting used to, but in a way it tends to help avoid over-controlling since it requires so much more force than the SideWinder. The SIdeWinder is smooth and very easy to control, I just have to be lighter on the movements. TBH, I'm not sure which is 'better' they're just really different - I'd say the SideWinder feels more like a game accessory (to me) where the Logitech units feel more business-like. I don't know that the players who use real expensive high-end stuff would even put these in the same league as some of the more 'serious' models.

HTH smile and good luck!

#4443067 - 10/09/18 10:24 PM Re: Easy Flight Model and Stalls... [Re: trek]  
trek Offline
trek  Offline

Yeah, I had an old MS Sidewinder years ago. I gave it to a friend of mine when I stopped playing FSims for awhile. Still a very good stick. I'll probably try a HOTAS and buy it thru Amazon so I can at least return it if I don't like it. Both my wife and daughter gave me gift cards to use for my next order so I just might go for it.

I think I'll put WOTR on the shelf for awhile as I'm tired of jumping thru hoops trying to get it flyable for me. Also I think I've posted here enough and I don't want to be a constant pest on this forum. Beside WOFF UE is working for me and I've got three other games to get my WW2 Air Combat fix. Thanks for the reply and info. See you sometime in the skies.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.