Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#4442247 - 10/05/18 01:57 AM Re: Settings Matter [Re: Nowi]  
OldHat Offline
OldHat  Offline

save your money and by a VR headset to play it with flight sims. You'll never look back once you do. It is unreal, like you're actually sitting in the aircraft.

#4442248 - 10/05/18 02:02 AM Re: Settings Matter [Re: Nowi]  
Panama Red Offline
Panama Red  Offline

Irmo, SC, USA
hoongadoonga:
If you have Windows 10, no problem, because it can scale correctly for a 32" 4K monitor.

The problem with 4K monitors is when you drop below 30", the font and other things in Windows starts to get "dicey" even though Windows 10 is suppose to scale correctly for that.

If you use the 32" 4K monitor, that is equivalent to just an up scaled 27" 2K monitor, but with a lot more detail (and I do mean a lot more detail too) for general PC work.

Edit: My game PC CPU is a i7-7700K with all cores at 4.5 GHz and GPU is a 1080 Ti.

CPU = i9 11900K
GPU = RTX 3080 Ti
Monitor = ASUS ROG Swift PG32UQX 2160p G-sync
#4442296 - 10/05/18 11:29 AM Re: Settings Matter [Re: Nowi]  
Panama Red Offline
Panama Red  Offline

Irmo, SC, USA
OldHat:
That only works if you do not plan on using the monitor for general computing, but only Flight Sims or FPS.

CPU = i9 11900K
GPU = RTX 3080 Ti
#4442328 - 10/05/18 04:01 PM Re: Settings Matter [Re: Nowi]  
hoongadoonga Offline
hoongadoonga  Offline

OldHat - I don't think that VR will work for me. I'd be dizzy and nauseous. I couldn't be a pilot in real life, at least not a fighter pilot.

PR - thanks for your input. I'll retain this information and reconsider it when I replace my current rig (which is using Windows 7). I'm very pleased with my current WOFF performance and appearance but am always interested in something bigger and better. Onward and upward............

#4442340 - 10/05/18 06:44 PM Re: Settings Matter [Re: Nowi]  
kksnowbear Offline
kksnowbear  Offline

Another point about settings recommended by others and the sim's documentation: Antialiaising Gamma Correction. Everything I've seen, most from some very reputable sources, indicates there is no performance impact associated with this setting. Suggesting this is like suggesting that wearing sunglasses while driving affects the performance of the vehicle. I even found one reference that indicates "... there is no reason to disable it on modern hardware." (https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/nvidia-inspector-introduction-and-guide.403676/)

And, again, the problem becomes that there's no way to know what's good advice and what's bad, when even cursory research indicates these settings don't do what is suggested.

Sorry, but I would be hesitant to act based strictly on "This guy said so" (particularly when contradictory references are abundant and readily available)...

...and I think that's pretty good advice.

#4442348 - 10/05/18 07:11 PM Re: Settings Matter [Re: Nowi]  
Panama Red Offline
Panama Red  Offline

Irmo, SC, USA
I did find that when I disabled the Antialiaising Gamma Correction on my new 4K monitor, the 2X AA looked worse (i.e. jagged edges).

When I re-enabled it, the "jags" went away and I noticed zero impact on the FPS. As a result, I have it activated on my 4K monitor and it looks great.

According to what I read, it is suppose to further "soften" the AA edges in the game, which it apparently did.

CPU = i9 11900K
GPU = RTX 3080 Ti
#4442353 - 10/05/18 07:29 PM Re: Settings Matter [Re: Panama Red]  
kksnowbear Offline
kksnowbear  Offline

Originally Posted by Panama Red
I did find that when I disabled the Antialiaising Gamma Correction on my new 4K monitor, the 2X AA looked worse (i.e. jagged edges).

When I re-enabled it, the "jags" went away and I noticed zero impact on the FPS. As a result, I have it activated on my 4K monitor and it looks great.

According to what I read, it is suppose to further "soften" the AA edges in the game, which it apparently did.

Right...I should've specified that the Antialiaising Gamma Correction apparently can have an effect on how the graphics look; just as you describe, I think it can make things look better ("better" itself being subjective, of course).

However, what I'm referring to - and what is in the official FAQ for WOTR - is that the setting somehow affects performance. Specifically, that it "can help smooth FPS". To me, the idea that it has no impact on performance means, well...no impact on performance.

I don't know why it doesn't appear in the FAQ for WOFF, but I'm fairly certain it's been suggested for both.

My point here is that these things are highly subjective, and often misleading. That means people should do their own legwork before accepting that just because someone can afford to spend $800 on a GPU and/or learned how to edit text/xml files to change a program's behavior, they are an expert on GPU performance.

#4442356 - 10/05/18 07:55 PM Re: Settings Matter [Re: Nowi]  
Panama Red Offline
Panama Red  Offline

Irmo, SC, USA
Technically you could say that disabling it does effect Performance, since enabling it has some GPU costs associated with it (nothing is free in life).

But the FPS cost (depending on your CPU & GPU) is totally negligible to some one who has a strong enough CPU & GPU, especially compared to the cost of AA.

On my older 1440p monitor, I could not tell the difference in looks or FPS with it on or off, but on 2160p (4K) monitor, the effects of having it on or off showed visually.

CPU = i9 11900K
GPU = RTX 3080 Ti
#4442358 - 10/05/18 08:02 PM Re: Settings Matter [Re: Panama Red]  
kksnowbear Offline
kksnowbear  Offline

Originally Posted by Panama Red
Technically you could say that disabling it does effect Performance, since enabling it has some GPU costs associated with it (nothing is free in life).

But the FPS cost (depending on your CPU & GPU) is totally negligible to some one who has a strong enough CPU & GPU, especially compared to the cost of AA.

On my older 1440p monitor, I could not tell the difference in looks or FPS with it on or off, but on 2160p (4K) monitor, the effects of having it on or off showed visually.

Again: No impact on performance. Also, "... there is no reason to disable it on modern hardware."

Not my words, just those of (several) external sources that are generally very reliable. And some of these references go back several years, so we're not just talking about current, high-end GPUs, either.

Bottom line: Visual difference, yes. Performance difference? Apparently not. At least not according to most every other source...except here, that is. I guess what do all of them know?

Last edited by kksnowbear; 10/05/18 08:02 PM.
#4442362 - 10/05/18 08:37 PM Re: Settings Matter [Re: Nowi]  
Panama Red Offline
Panama Red  Offline

Irmo, SC, USA
Since you seam to be so adamant about this, have you bothered to write OBD about this and express yourself like you are doing here ???????????? confused

Or are you just blowing off steam ????????????? winkngrin

CPU = i9 11900K
GPU = RTX 3080 Ti
#4442367 - 10/05/18 09:12 PM Re: Settings Matter [Re: Nowi]  
kksnowbear Offline
kksnowbear  Offline

Just taking part in a dialogue concerning settings. Pointing out problems with some of the advice. I wouldn't think it a problem if one is genuinely interested in objective discussion.

#4442378 - 10/05/18 10:02 PM Re: Settings Matter [Re: Nowi]  
Panama Red Offline
Panama Red  Offline

Irmo, SC, USA
No dispute, but the only way you will get OBD to change their FAQ is if you write them and present all your information refuting what they have printed.

CPU = i9 11900K
GPU = RTX 3080 Ti
#4442387 - 10/05/18 10:52 PM Re: Settings Matter [Re: Nowi]  
kksnowbear Offline
kksnowbear  Offline

Yes, that's true if you assume that's what I'm trying to do. However, that's not the case.

Among other things, the advice concerning settings is not strictly confined to those documents - so it is a problem that cannot be addressed exclusively with OBD.

I'm just calling a spade a spade where I see it, and where there is available evidence to support the call. I regret if it's an affront to anyone, that's absolutely not the intent.

Hopefully it helps someone, somehow, because I am not one who believes you can help someone by misleading them.

TBH it seems as if the only reason anyone gets excited about it is when it shows that their opinion/advice may not be all it's claiming to be. I should think, if we're all interested in accuracy and objectivity, that the effort would be welcomed and appreciated.

#4442455 - 10/06/18 08:00 AM Re: Settings Matter [Re: Nowi]  
dutch Offline
dutch  Offline

EURO-zone
Why not publish your ingame settings and nVidia settings [global and game] in printscreens. Pictures shows more then 1000 words.

Last edited by dutch; 10/06/18 12:42 PM.
#4442486 - 10/06/18 02:00 PM Re: Settings Matter [Re: dutch]  
kksnowbear Offline
kksnowbear  Offline

Originally Posted by dutch
Why not publish your ingame settings and nVidia settings [global and game] in printscreens. Pictures shows more then 1000 words.

Dutch, thank you for the idea, but to answer your question, the reason is quite simply because my settings are not what is at issue. The concern is about settings being posted/published that are misleading, and which there is evidence available that shows some of the recommended settings are inaccurate.

A better idea would be for those posting/publishing these settings to show references which corroborate the claims (like they say, "link or it didn't happen" biggrin ). Or certainly to at least acknowledge when a recommendation here contradicts every other source available. In other words, back up your claim with reputable references.

There's a metric ton of data about all these settings out there on the internet, and if some recommendations posted here contradict what seems to be universally accepted out there, I should think anyone would see the concern.

Incidentally, your comment does raise yet another concern: The recommendation to make global settings so this sim will work correctly. I'm not aware of any other game that requires this, and doing it means every other game on your pc is now subject to whatever settings this sim requires.

Not only does this seem like a bad idea, it also seems to completely defeat the purpose of having the ability to assign settings individually by game (as Nvidia Control Panel does, along with every other utility I'm aware of).

I hope this explanation helps clarify.

#4442501 - 10/06/18 03:53 PM Re: Settings Matter [Re: Nowi]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

The problem is with PCs, one person's setting that cures x problem for another does the opposite. Yes somewhere there is a reason, but due to the variables at play on a PC, software, hardware revisions, drivers, anti virus and so on, it's very hard to find out why.
If anyone has the incline to work out a setup or configuration that guarantees it works for all, then we can put it in the FAQ.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4442502 - 10/06/18 04:03 PM Re: Settings Matter [Re: Nowi]  
CaptSopwith Offline
Barmy WingNut
CaptSopwith  Offline
Barmy WingNut

United States
I can also second Pol's perspective. I've tried just about every setting posted here. And this morning, on a lark, decided to make a few changes in my nVidia settings. I had run with limited pre-rendered frames and then switched it off. Sure enough, in some instances the sim was smoother and others it hic-cups a bit, just like it does with pre-rendered frames limited to 1.

I've finally come to the conclusion that my general settings work well enough and that sometimes the thing is just going to hit some rough patches. It's a 17 year old graphics engine that's been retrofitted to work in 2018 with new shaders, all while running a campaign that is putting hundreds of aircraft into the sim at any given time. There are so many variables just within the sim - let alone the hardware running it - that we will likely never pin down a 100% bulletproof solution. Toss onto it the fact that on my rig, CFS3.exe runs on a different core each time it starts and you really have a gumbo that's difficult to sort out. All of the options are useful though, some work, some don't. For now, on this three year old rig, I've got things dialed in pretty well.

What we need to do is fund a kickstarter that will allow OBD to buy the latest Unreal Engine and retrofit WOFF:UE into it. Shouldn't cost much, right Pol? What do you need? $500,000? biggrin

#4442503 - 10/06/18 04:06 PM Re: Settings Matter [Re: Nowi]  
lederhosen Offline
lederhosen  Offline

Germany
don't forget SweetFX also !

make mistakes and learn from them

I5 4440 3.1Ghz, Asrock B85m Pro3, Gtx 1060 3GB
#4442506 - 10/06/18 04:20 PM Re: Settings Matter [Re: Nowi]  
Nowi Offline
Nowi  Offline

Florida
As I wrote in my initial post, there are too many variables to come up with THE answer. What works for me, may, no probably will not work for you.

As I was thinking about this a few hours ago, it dawned on me that I haven’t ever actually played with my monitor settings. Software! Graphics card! CPU! Memory! And then the monitor? I’ve spent a load of time—lost playing time—playing around with all these damned graphics settings.

What we really need is a program that could somehow control everything and optimize settings across the board. Right! As soon as someone cures cancer.

Nowi
#4442513 - 10/06/18 04:44 PM Re: Settings Matter [Re: Polovski]  
kksnowbear Offline
kksnowbear  Offline

Originally Posted by Polovski
The problem is with PCs, one person's setting that cures x problem for another does the opposite. Yes somewhere there is a reason, but due to the variables at play on a PC, software, hardware revisions, drivers, anti virus and so on, it's very hard to find out why.
If anyone has the incline to work out a setup or configuration that guarantees it works for all, then we can put it in the FAQ.

What you're saying doesn't stand to reason.

How is it a problem with PCs that this sim/FAQ recommends using global settings, which then subjects all other programs to those settings, and defeats the purpose of individual settings per program?

How is it a problem with PCs that this sim/FAQ recommends settings that are contradicted by every other available reference? I outlined above that the recommendations for both AA Gamma Correction and Triple Buffering are absolutely in conflict with other well-established, widely accepted and documented sources. How is that a problem with PCs?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM