Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4441443 - 09/29/18 03:30 PM Swing Jazz!  
FlyingToaster Offline
FlyingToaster  Offline

Scotland
Any other fans here?
I specifically mean Swing jazz, as opposed to musician 'self-pleasuring' jazz; swing jazz developed along with swing dancing in the 20s and 30s, and is going through a revival that's now being going on for about as long as the original swing scene lasted. Compared to 'modern jazz', swing jazz is a lot more cohesive, a lot more predictable, and blissfully shorter (all very good things for dancers).
There are some absolutely fantastic modern bands around now, and I've had the pleasure of dancing to a few of them.

This one I heard last week, and they were phenomenal live. The Swing Shouters, from France:

Then another contender for best modern swing band, the Gordon Webster band.

And again, this time doing a song-off with a Swedish band (both this video and the above one are from a dance event in Sweden). I was actually there for the below video, and Gordon Webster has incredbile energy. This song was played at about 3am, and roughly 2 hours later he'd moved his keyboard to a side room and was still playing.

Then some of the orginal artists...

Lastly another of the all time greats, Count Basie.

#4441498 - 09/29/18 09:06 PM Re: Swing Jazz! [Re: FlyingToaster]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
I love playing Basie charts when I sit in on big bands, some of the more esoteric Glenn Miller stuff is good too. There’s a great arrangement of “Song of the Volga Boatmen” in his book.
Lots of good Ellington charts as well. Haven’t 0layed much of the newer stuff, though the Gordon Goodwin Big Phat Band stuff is pretty cool.

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
This is known as "bad luck.”
-Robert Heinlein

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.