Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#4438098 - 09/10/18 01:01 PM Re: I need to see a good sci-fi movie I haven't seen... [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Inline advert (4th to 5th topic)

#4438195 - 09/10/18 10:17 PM Re: I need to see a good sci-fi movie I haven't seen... [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
Pooch Offline
Hotshot
Pooch  Offline
Hotshot

Orlando, FL
I enjoyed "Annihilation."

"From our orbital vantage point, we observe an earth without borders, full of peace, beauty and magnificence, and we pray that humanity as a whole can imagine a borderless world as we see it, and strive to live as one in peace."
Astronaut William C. McCool RIP, January 29, 2003 - Space Shuttle Columbia

#4438246 - 09/11/18 07:40 AM Re: I need to see a good sci-fi movie I haven't seen... [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

These United States of America
I was going to recommend Oblivion too but you all got that covered. One of the few movies I took myself to see and I had the whole theater to myself! I thought it was pretty good and visually fun to watch.

Apollo 18

The Keep (Saw this a few years ago and it was a cool and eerie little movie)

The Seventh Sign (the theology is junk but its kind of an interesting movie with some interesting scenes so that's why I bring it up in a sci-fi themed discussion. I like Michael Biehn and Jurgen Prochnow who is also in The Keep if memory serves)

Jacob's Ladder (I don't remember much about it other than it was kind of weird but also kind of interesting)

The Ritual (Watched this on Netflix awhile back. Normally something titled like this I would not be watching but it turned out to be quite interesting and with a unique and creepy monster)

Leviathan 1989 (Saw it as a kid I think or at least parts of it. I don't remember the quality but I recently bought it but haven't watched it yet)

Deep Star Six (Similar kind of thing but I've not seen it so not sure if its any good. Its on Amazon Prime right now I think)

Dreamcatcher 2003 (I remember liking this one except for the sh!%t weasels eek)

The Thing (John Carpenter)

The Thing 2011 (I only saw it once so I can't remember how it was. I think it was pretty decent as a sort of prequel to the other one if memory serves)

Frequency

Outlander (Its been awhile but I remember liking this one with future space man and vikings fighting a really well done movie monster)

13th Warrior (Love this one!)

Solomon Kane

Season of the Witch (One of the few lower budget(I'm assuming) Nicolas Cage movies that I thought was actually quite good)

Europa Report

The Last Days on Mars (I seem to remember not thinking this was very good. Europa Report though is decent and visually impressive at times if memory serves)

Edge of Tomorrow

The Philadelphia Experiment 1984

John 10:1-30
Romans 10:1-13

#4438259 - 09/11/18 10:34 AM Re: I need to see a good sci-fi movie I haven't seen... [Re: Coot]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Coot

The Keep (Saw this a few years ago and it was a cool and eerie little movie)

This was Michael Mann's directorial debut. I saw this on cable sometime during the 1980's.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4438275 - 09/11/18 11:41 AM Re: I need to see a good sci-fi movie I haven't seen... [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
Chucky Online sosad
Veteran
Chucky  Online Sosad
Veteran

UK
Thanks for the list Coot!

One to add to the list : Automata (Antonio Banderas). Any Blackadder fans will be surprised to see a certain gentleman in a very different role.

Last edited by Chucky; 09/11/18 03:16 PM.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#4438426 - 09/11/18 08:58 PM Re: I need to see a good sci-fi movie I haven't seen... [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
RedToo Offline
RedToo  Offline

Bolton UK
Something a bit left field ... Slaughterhouse 5:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069280/

My 'Waiting for Clod' thread: http://tinyurl.com/bqxc9ee

Always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.
Elie Wiesel. Romanian born Jewish writer, professor, political activist, Nobel Laureate, Holocaust survivor. 1928 - 2016.

Indeed the safest road to Hell is the gradual one - the gentle slope, soft underfoot, without sudden turnings, without milestones, without signposts. C.S. Lewis, 1898 - 1963.
#4438747 - 09/13/18 04:40 PM Re: I need to see a good sci-fi movie I haven't seen... [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
BlueHeron Offline
BlueHeron  Offline

Ottawa, Canada
Nice list, Coot. Great thread, I've been looking for the same.

One that has gone unmentioned is Danny Boyle's Sunshine.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0448134/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

#4439196 - 09/16/18 06:46 AM Re: I need to see a good sci-fi movie I haven't seen... [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

How is Sunshine? I was curious about that one.

Here are more suggestions from memory and also from looking through some of my stuff to try to help out with more ideas:

Below (With Bruce Greenwood. If memory serves it may be more of a supernatural/murder mystery kind of movie but it takes place on a WW2 sub and I remember it being pretty good)

Deja Vu

Signs (One of the few M. Nights Shamalasomething movies I really enjoyed.)

The Objective (I really liked this little movie! I think it was probably independent, straight to DVD production but its great. I bought it used at Blockbuster years ago and liked it so much I bought a newer copy later. Actors were provided with some real tactical training by ex special forces and its a very interesting story and well done and well acted. The ending was kind of open ended but gives enough closure while still maintaining the story's mystery. I'm not sure if they were intending a sequel but I think it deserves one.)

The Triangle (I think originally a made for TV movie but its pretty good. Not great but pretty good with some great actors like Sam Neil and Lou Diamond Phillips. I remember watching it with my grandmother on TV(One of those three day weekend miniseries I think) and thought it was so so but watched it again after buying it on Amazon a few years ago and enjoyed it more the second time.)

Storm of the Century Stephen King miniseries (I really enjoyed it and the setting though it maybe a little more on the supernatural side)

The X Files 1998

Stargate

Super 8

Roswell 1994 (I don't know where to find this TV movie but I remember liking it. Pretty great cast too if memory serves, very unique such as Dwight Yoakam playing Max Brazel)

The Fourth Kind (I usually don't care for creepy "real footage" movies but this one is supposedly based off of real research and it was pretty interesting)

Fallen 1998 (more spiritual in nature but very interesting. Has Elias Koteas who I always find to be an excellent actor whenever I see him. He's also in the above movie.)

The Mothman Prophecies (This is a drama with Richard Gere that's interesting. However if you want to see a VERY interesting, entertaining and well done documentary try Eyes of the Mothman. One of the few well done documentary's I've seen on what some consider fringe subjects that are rarely done well.)

The Legend of Boggy Creek 1972 (I love this docudrama. Feels like watching an extended episode of In Search Of with great music and filming presentation.)

Fire in the Sky

Legion 2010 (Not a great movie but a fun popcorn movie with an actually pretty well done and eerie angel scene.)

Innerspace (With Dennis Quaid. Always loved this comedy/action movie.)

Enemy Mine (Also with Dennis Quaid. Saw this as a kid but I really don't remember much about it. I need to see it again.)

The Last Starfighter

Capricorn One

The Arrival 1996 (With Charlie Sheen. I really enjoyed this one. The straight to VHS/DVD, not the same actors sequel is garbage though.)

The Sphere (Not great in my opinion but a fun watch.)

The Relic (I can't remember if its any good.)

Mimic 1997 (Has a pretty cool monster and is a decent but not great 90s film.)

Highlander

The Abyss

My Science Project

The Devil's Rock 2011 (I've never seen it but would like to. Seems to have some fans. I believe its on Netflix or Amazon right now as I remember adding it to a watch list)

Dog Soldiers (I bought this one and remember quite liking it. British soldiers, Scottish Highlands, werewolves. The werewolves are some of the creepiest and best I've seen in a movie using just good ol' practical effects/props. Really well done monsters in this.)

Bigfoot: The Lost Coast Tapes (Basically one of "those" kinds of Bigfoot movies but I actually liked it over many of the other junk fictional movies on the topic. It actually has a pretty cool twist and speculation in the movie.)

Devil's Pass (Seemingly another one of "those" kinds of movies when I picked it up, expecting it to be mediocre to poor but this one actually surprised me. It still has some of those annoying youngster type characters but they aren't with you through the whole movie. Without spoiling it, the movie has a very cool, eerie and interesting mystery and foe and one of those movies that get's better as it goes along. Just put up for a little while with what seems like a mediocre movie and it gets much better and interesting. One of the better of "those" kinds of movies I've seen. Plus its fun if you're interested in the real-life Dyatlov Pass mystery.)

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

Darkman

Transcendence

Limitless

Red Planet

Hangar 18

Hanna

Journey to the Far Side of the Sun

Dragonfly (Kevin Costner)

Minority Report

The Manchurian Candidate (I'm speaking of the remake as I've only seen parts of the original. Honestly I actually greatly disliked it when I first saw it but I watched it again a few years ago and was able to enjoy more the second time around.)

Some of mine may have veered a touch out of science fiction but I think they are close enough. Please forgive some of my commentary next to the films if that annoys. I'm a little bit tired and somewhat compulsive sometimes unfortunately lol. I hope these give you all some ideas. I appreciate your all's as well as I like a good sci-fi movie myself.

Last edited by Coot; 09/16/18 07:07 AM.

#4439209 - 09/16/18 10:07 AM Re: I need to see a good sci-fi movie I haven't seen... [Re: Coot]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
Originally Posted by Coot
How is Sunshine? I was curious about that one.

I for one didn't like it at all, but others apparently did. It's not even the utterly ludricrous premise of the movie that the sun could stop burning in a not very distant future (which flies in the face of everything we know about stellar astronomy, and physics), or that the human race has the technology to change that (which flies in the face of everything we know about stellar astronomy, and physics). Even if you can forget about that (and I'm not sure if I can, it may be a source of bias), I still don't rate it as a good film. Quoting from some IMDb user, it is as if the movie makers, halfway through making the movie, abruptly changed their mind, turning a space epic adventure with promising potentials into a space horror B-movie.
I'm not against space, horror, or B-movies. Usually you can combine at least two to good effect, like "Alien", but Alien has an extremely solid plot. MId-film in Sunshine you'll spot ginormous plot holes like,
quoting that IMDb critic, how can you believe that an expert who carefully calculates every detail of the mechanism for changing the course forgets to take into consideration the effect of the deadly Sun, something that is more critical and fundamental to their survival than water and food?
. The entire horror part hinges on the laziest premise possible,
one guy having gone mad.
Yes.

Yes, that's it.

The visuals are nice, though.

Signs (One of the few M. Nights Shamalasomething movies I really enjoyed.)

I wish there wouldn't have been the Alien in the living room, though.
The film is perfect up to the point where the rattling of the house stops and they leave the basement/shelter. Had the film ended there, it would have been deliciously ambiguous, an uncollapsed wave function. But noooo...

Stargate

Super 8

The Mothman Prophecies

Innerspace

The Abyss

I fully support those recommendations.

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

NOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooo!!!11!1!
My prime example of the terror of wasted opportunity. It could have been great, the Avengers of the 19th Century, and then we get a car chase - in Venice.

Hanna

Hinges very much on the acting capability of a teenage girl, but she pulls it off. Wouldn't call it a science fiction film however, but it's a solid thriller that is just gradually more far-fetched than a Jason Bourne movie.

#4439218 - 09/16/18 01:52 PM Re: I need to see a good sci-fi movie I haven't seen... [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
Mr_Blastman Offline
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Offline
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
League was one of the only movies in my life that I've walked out of the theater from barely a quarter of the way into the film. Yep. I walked out and went home.

Lots of suggestions here, guys! A few I haven't seen(mostly the very, very obscure ones), so I'll keep you updated as I watch them. Thanks. smile

#4439250 - 09/16/18 05:30 PM Re: I need to see a good sci-fi movie I haven't seen... [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

If I didn't take time to comment on a listed suggestion that does not equate it to me espousing them as excellent. Just some suggestions. League is a movie I did not like either the first time I saw it. I only liked it a little better the second time around and I know its more on the fantasy side. However I tend to believe most of, even the best scifi movies are, truth be told, more fantasy than any actual science. Science Fiction covers a wide range. I listed Hanna, which by the way is not that good, only because I think it has a genetic manipulation angle revealed at the end. I agree that part of what makes Signs so good in what it was doing was the fact they kept the threat hidden for so long. Monster movies are almost always better when they DON'T show the threat.

However in Sign's case, I personally disagree about the idea of ending the movie before the threat is shown. The cusp of the story was its moral and prophetic outcome that all at once, in an instant, imparted understanding and revelation to that small family who up until that time, were struggling with the seemingly meaningless nature of their hardships that up until then, had made no sense. Then when the foe does show up, its done literally at the very last minute, you don't really see it clearly for long, which to me continues to add to the mystery, not take away because the viewer is not afforded much time at all with its short revealing. Then enters the beauty of the revelation, the in its own way mysterious wonder that is the unseen hand of Providence at work and guiding this family all along, including equipping them with everything they would need to survive the unknown danger in their future and it was all delivered prophetically by the dying matriarch of the household some time before the event. Everyone was being prepared unbeknownst to them as well as equipped to battle, unto victory, a great enemy that they could not have even begun to foresee coming in their future.

#4439271 - 09/16/18 09:24 PM Re: I need to see a good sci-fi movie I haven't seen... [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
...and yet, if your only, mortal weakness is water, which solar planet would you least want to invade?
Come on.

#4439286 - 09/16/18 10:53 PM Re: I need to see a good sci-fi movie I haven't seen... [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
I watched “Ex Machina” last night and I think it’s an outstanding movie. It’s so awesome to have a sci-fi film that makes you think and contemplate instead of getting yet another brainless action sci-fi movie from Hollywood.

#4439306 - 09/17/18 12:45 AM Re: I need to see a good sci-fi movie I haven't seen... [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
Mr_Blastman Offline
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Offline
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
If you liked Ex Machina, Panzer, try "The Machine" next.

#4440026 - 09/21/18 12:13 AM Re: I need to see a good sci-fi movie I haven't seen... [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
Vertigo1 Offline
Veteran
Vertigo1  Offline
Veteran

Zeta Aquilae System
How about 'Screamers' with Peter Weller? It's very B movie though

others I like

Ex Machina
Edge of Tomorrow
Last Starfighter

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." - Groucho Marx

“One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” -Milton Friedman

Quem Deus vult perdere, prius dementat
#4440179 - 09/22/18 12:02 AM Re: I need to see a good sci-fi movie I haven't seen... [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
NH2112 Online content
Veteran
NH2112  Online Content
Veteran

Jackman, ME
I thought “Source Code” and “Predestination” were pretty interesting.

Phil

“The biggest problem people have is they don’t think they’re supposed to have problems.” - Hayes Barnard
#4440491 - 09/24/18 12:43 AM Re: I need to see a good sci-fi movie I haven't seen... [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
Guynemer27 Offline
Guynemer27  Offline

Ontario
Recently I rediscovered some classics... still highly watchable and much more interesting than the crap we get today: powerful, with big ideas and amazing scripts

- Fahrenheit 451 (Truffaut - 1966)
- 1984 (1984)
- Rollerball (original with James Caan)
- Soylent Green
- Powder
- Jacob's ladder
- Metropolis
- Dreamscape
- Brainstorm
- a boy and his dog
- Slaughterhouse 5
- Tron
- Close Encounter
- darkstar
- Time after time

Stil my top 3:

- BladeRunner
- Interstellar
- Moon

Last edited by Guynemer27; 09/24/18 12:44 AM.

Nicolas GRIGNON
#4440500 - 09/24/18 04:09 AM Re: I need to see a good sci-fi movie I haven't seen... [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
Mr_Blastman Offline
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Offline
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
I watched "Another Earth" and "Screamers" this weekend.

Screamers was well, so much potential with the opening premise but they wasted it on a poor script, editing and bad storyboarding. It needed tension. Neat concept though.

Another Earth was pretty good, but quite a different film than what I was expecting. It managed to do what Arrival was trying to do(sort of?), but did it well. Arrival was bad. Another Earth was good. Wasn't so much sci-fi though. Gave some good mentions in the film to classic sci-fi, but probably could have explored the sci-fi aspects moreso.

Those are all great movies Guynemer27. I think I've seen every one, save for maybe Powder, and I'm assuming you mean the Malcom Mcdowell "Time after Time."

#4440503 - 09/24/18 04:32 AM Re: I need to see a good sci-fi movie I haven't seen... [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
Guynemer27 Offline
Guynemer27  Offline

Ontario
yes this one...

you can try these too:

- another earth
- beyond (netflix)
- Monsters 1 and 2

and for the last a little rare one: the firts movie from Luc Besson: Le Dernier Combat (The Last Battle) -a post-apocalyptic tale

Nicolas GRIGNON
#4440521 - 09/24/18 11:37 AM Re: I need to see a good sci-fi movie I haven't seen... [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
I'll have to give "Darkstar" another shot. I tried watching it a few years ago and I couldn't get past the endless scene where one of the crew members is chasing the orange ball alien or whatever it was supposed to be.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.