Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#4439891 - 09/20/18 02:33 PM Re: Comparison to other Sims [Re: ChiefWH]  
kksnowbear Offline
kksnowbear  Offline

Originally Posted by ChiefWH
The OP asked fora comparison with other games, not with real life, maybe they meant reality, but that wasn't specified.

You're right. My comments actually did include mention of how this performs against other sims, I just didn't necessarily make direct comparisons. I said 'these sims' seem to leave a bit to be desired, and yet, in my own observation, there were others that seemed to do better than something based on CFS3 can do**

Again, I mentioned real life experience because someone else - not me - brought it up, though I don't know for sure, presumably to gauge the accuracy of individuals' perspectives. My point in doing so is that many/most of those playing these games don't actually have any real aviation experience - strictly, mind you, in response to the notion that someone can't have a valid opinion unless they've flown a real Hurricane. In fact, to your point, the OP didn't ask about real life, so I'm not really sure why it was injected - again, not by me - into the dialogue. But, it was asked, so I responded. Simple as that.

** EDIT: I've heard people use the expression that "it flies like it's on rails" regarding the FM, but TBH I'm not sure what that actually means, though I could guess. I put it at a more general feeling something's just not behaving as it should sometimes, with the occasional "No way that could ever happen". But these discussions often deteriorate rapidly, so I've avoided them for the most part. I don't fly these sims because I expect absolute FM fidelity, IMHO that would be sort of stupid to expect, to be clear. TBH I only chimed in here because someone interjected concerning 'real' flight experience.

Last edited by kksnowbear; 09/20/18 02:59 PM.
#4439894 - 09/20/18 03:08 PM Re: Comparison to other Sims [Re: Eisenfaust]  
ChiefWH Offline
ChiefWH  Offline

Ha, yeah, I kind of regret opening my mouth, I only responded to the thread because the developer promoted for some.

I like what I've seen of WotR so far, and look forward to what is to come.It is ultimately very enjoyable to play and worth the money, regardless of any comparison-based criticism I've listed earlier.

#4439899 - 09/20/18 03:31 PM Re: Comparison to other Sims [Re: ChiefWH]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

Originally Posted by ChiefWH
I like what I've seen of WotR so far, and look forward to what is to come.It is ultimately very enjoyable to play and worth the money, regardless of any comparison-based criticism I've listed earlier.

^^This. I'm in the same category,I'm having fun,I'm enjoying it immensely same as I enjoy WOFF and countless other sims. And that's what I play games (and that's what they are) for..Fun.

Fwiw I've never flown a real life aircraft specifically the Hurricane or Emil and unless these craft have been flown by someone that flies these sims then surely everything else is pure guesswork?
If anyone here has actually flown these planes then I'd love to hear your comments..and even then il continue to have fun in this sim,it may sound selfish but that's what I purchase games for.

Regards
Adger

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.
#4439900 - 09/20/18 03:32 PM Re: Comparison to other Sims [Re: Eisenfaust]  
matmilne Offline
matmilne  Offline

UK
The rails comment, is in reference to a more linear flight path...Ie: the aircraft's response offers less lag and instability, so its behaviour is more restricted with less vertical and lateral deviance. Some people expect a given object to behave more like a feather flying through the air at low speed, as compared to a dart or javelin at high speed. If you're expecting a buffeting feather, you'd be disappointed with a coursing bullet or javelin.

ITunes https://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/matt-milne/1301047345
Spotify https://open.spotify.com/album/4HohtzSKX5P5lz885y3BPu
Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07NVS3WBV/ref=dm_ws_sp_ps_dp

Demo Reel https://soundcloud.com/matt-milne-8/sets/demo-reel-full

Composer - games, films, and tv.
Wings over the Reich, Rise of Flight, Woff, off 2&3, Photokill and Star Trek: Bridge Commander Kobayashimaru
#4439901 - 09/20/18 03:43 PM Re: Comparison to other Sims [Re: Eisenfaust]  
Trooper117 Offline
Hotshot
Trooper117  Offline
Hotshot

UK
From my perspective it's all down to the person playing the game... I have RoF, BoS, WoFF, WoTR, IL2 1946 and quite a few others. I enjoy playing all of them, they all give me hours of fun and enjoyment.
They 'all' have aspects that need improving, they also have aspects that they do better than the others.
If we could take all the things that each sim do really well and make them into a single game, we would be well on the way to having the perfect combat sim.

That said, I will keep them on my HD for years to come I suspect biggrin
As it stands, regardless of it's present state, I am enjoying WoTR even as it is now... I'm sure it will improve as time goes on.

#4439903 - 09/20/18 03:50 PM Re: Comparison to other Sims [Re: matmilne]  
kksnowbear Offline
kksnowbear  Offline

Originally Posted by matmilne
The rails comment, is in reference to a more linear flight path...Ie: the aircraft's response offers less lag and instability, so its behaviour is more restricted with less vertical and lateral deviance. Some people expect a given object to behave more like a feather flying through the air at low speed, as compared to a dart or javelin at high speed. If you're expecting a buffeting feather, you'd be disappointed with a coursing bullet or javelin.

Right.

So, I wasn't debating what the rail comment meant, just that it's one way I've heard complaint about FMs expressed - and, as it happens, not one I've used.

Let me say once again that I am not the one who brought up real life flight experience. It's just that this often gets brought up, mostly for two reasons:

1. To somehow discredit a poster's opinion; they've never flown aircraft X, therefore, they can't possibly know anything about how it behaves. (Not really accurate, and usually only brought up simply because the odds are fair that very few who are playing a game actually have flown the "real thing". So, it's relatively safe and easy to cast doubt.)

2. Somehow a given product's producer is extolling the product's virtues by claiming it faithfully reproduces flight dynamics (or the even more abstract "feeling of flight"...which I've always found amusing. Since it's impossible to quantify and entirely subjective, it's another easy claim).

But, for hopefully one final time: I didn't bring it up.

#4439904 - 09/20/18 03:55 PM Re: Comparison to other Sims [Re: Trooper117]  
kksnowbear Offline
kksnowbear  Offline

Originally Posted by Trooper117
From my perspective it's all down to the person playing the game... I have RoF, BoS, WoFF, WoTR, IL2 1946 and quite a few others. I enjoy playing all of them, they all give me hours of fun and enjoyment.
They 'all' have aspects that need improving, they also have aspects that they do better than the others. If we could take all the things that each sim do really well and make them into a single game...

I'd be absolutely thrilled if that happened.

I too have played most of those titles (and the others that often come up, like RB3D and so on...). And you're right, they all have their pros and cons. It just happens the OP in this case asked for specific comparisons.

#4439909 - 09/20/18 04:06 PM Re: Comparison to other Sims [Re: Eisenfaust]  
matmilne Offline
matmilne  Offline

UK
i did actually do some music for Rise of Flight (1c/777)...it was... an interesting experience.

Wings over the Reich, Rise of Flight, Woff, off 2&3, Photokill and Star Trek: Bridge Commander Kobayashimaru
#4439911 - 09/20/18 04:13 PM Re: Comparison to other Sims [Re: kksnowbear]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

Originally Posted by kksnowbear

But, for hopefully one final time: I didn't bring it up.

Nobody's said you have kksnowbear,anyone that reads the posts surely knows that you didn't.

We will remember them.
#4439921 - 09/20/18 04:47 PM Re: Comparison to other Sims [Re: matmilne]  
Space_Ghost Offline
Space_Ghost  Offline

i did actually do some music for Rise of Flight (1c/777)...it was... an interesting experience.

Does that have anything to do with anything OP asked?

No, not really.

Thanks for reminding us though?

#4439924 - 09/20/18 04:55 PM Re: Comparison to other Sims [Re: Space_Ghost]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

Originally Posted by Space_Ghost

No, not really.

Neither does your reply. Hows your reply helped to the OP,s original questions?
Correct me if I'm wrong but..you've had a refund? So you didn't/don't enjoy WOTR?
If that's correct then ( I'm assuming) your here to 'stir" the Pot so to speak..it certainly looks that way to me.

We will remember them.
#4439929 - 09/20/18 05:17 PM Re: Comparison to other Sims [Re: Eisenfaust]  
matmilne Offline
matmilne  Offline

UK
Comparing to other sims, providing experience of other sims, answering the idea that you could combine approaches/elements of other sims/teams... I remain on-topic.

#4439935 - 09/20/18 06:06 PM Re: Comparison to other Sims [Re: Eisenfaust]  
OldHat Offline
OldHat  Offline

As you can probably tell by now, comparing game X to game Y in the same category (WW2 Flight Simulations) is purely subjective. Using WW1 simulations as an example, sometimes I play WOFF when I feel like the ultimate single player immersion. Sometimes I'll play flying circus in vr when I want to feel like I'm flying in the aircraft and absorb the scenery around me. Sometimes I'll play RoF when I want to joint a multiplayer session. Really depends on my mood at that moment and what will satisfy it. I own games that I can enjoy and have fun.... even if it's just a mindless game of smashing things like in Red Faction.

#4439949 - 09/20/18 06:55 PM Re: Comparison to other Sims [Re: Adger]  
Space_Ghost Offline
Space_Ghost  Offline

Originally Posted by Adger

No, not really.

Correct me if I'm wrong but..you've had a refund? So you didn't/don't enjoy WOTR?
If that's correct then ( I'm assuming) your here to 'stir" the Pot so to speak..it certainly looks that way to me.

I already answered OP's question.

Leave your presumptive melodrama at the door.

#4439950 - 09/20/18 06:59 PM Re: Comparison to other Sims [Re: Space_Ghost]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

No, not really.

Simply asking questions like yourself thumbsup cheers

We will remember them.
#4439955 - 09/20/18 07:22 PM Re: Comparison to other Sims [Re: Eisenfaust]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Having followed this thread, and out of pure intellectual interest, I would love here from someone who has flown the aircraft, comment on the pros/cons of the FM's.
I realize that there is the possibility that the FM's / sim engine may not be able to simulate the full flight characteristics of the given models, but it would provide some background knowledge that could be drawn upon and applied if it is at all possible, sometime in the future.

Best Regards to all

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#4439956 - 09/20/18 07:23 PM Re: Comparison to other Sims [Re: Adger]  
Space_Ghost Offline
Space_Ghost  Offline

No, not really.

Oh whoa is me, you're so infinitely clever... Whatever shall I do?

Please. rolleyes

#4439960 - 09/20/18 07:35 PM Re: Comparison to other Sims [Re: Space_Ghost]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

Oh whoa is me, you're so infinitely clever... Whatever shall I do?

Please. rolleyes

"Whatever shall I do?"
Go and play something else?? Maybe something you'll enjoy more?
Something you'll have more fun with?
Isn't that the idea of playing video games..to have fun? thumbsup

We will remember them.
#4439962 - 09/20/18 07:38 PM Re: Comparison to other Sims [Re: Robert_Wiggins]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

Originally Posted by Robert_Wiggins
Having followed this thread, and out of pure intellectual interest, I would love here from someone who has flown the aircraft, comment on the pros/cons of the FM's.
I realize that there is the possibility that the FM's / sim engine may not be able to simulate the full flight characteristics of the given models, but it would provide some background knowledge that could be drawn upon and applied if it is at all possible, sometime in the future.

Best Regards to all

It'd be great to have somebody like that on board Robert,it really would.

In the meantime I Personnally trust Pat Pattles recommendations,the mans been around I believe he certainly knows what he's talking about.

We will remember them.
#4439964 - 09/20/18 07:48 PM Re: Comparison to other Sims [Re: Eisenfaust]  
SkyHigh Offline
SkyHigh  Offline

Ireland
I know nothing about flying planes. I'm afraid of heights, in fact. I haven't bought WOTR, and won't until I have a PC to run it. However, I do have WOFF and several other flight sims, so have some qualifications to comment. I just wish to say, if WOTR is the WWII equivalent of WOFF, it has the makings of a fine simulation of the Battle of Britain, as in being the nearest equivalent one can have of being in the battle while sitting in front of your pc. It provides that defiance of ho-hum reality by more than specific details as in an accurate flight model or whatever, but by a general attention to a whole gamut of details that combine to provide the experience. That is why it is very likely to become very popular with a lot of people that like that kind of thing. It may even put strain on some marriages.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.