Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4439101 - 09/15/18 01:10 PM Autopilot loses formation  
ChiefWH Offline
ChiefWH  Offline

Hi,

When using autopilot, it seems to always lose formation on the same part of the mission by flying too slow, this seems to be on the main cruise leg, maybe when climbing slightly.

If it has any bearing I am flying as 303 sqadron. It feels like this is a bug because autopilot does take control of everything (fuel mix and throttle etc.)

Cheers,

ChiefWH

#4439133 - 09/15/18 06:05 PM Re: Autopilot loses formation [Re: ChiefWH]  
Polovski Online content
Polovski  Online Content

Hotshot

Works fine here, just flew on a patrol; mine stayed in formation all the way. I'm in 303..
Anyway you can take over at any time and you the player are meant to be in control mostly. Note the player's autopilot "AI" skill is based on the skill level you chose when creating your pilot. Maybe he is a rookie.

Also maybe could depend on when you engage it - could be already out of position struggling to catch up etc.

Last edited by Polovski; 09/15/18 06:24 PM.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4439136 - 09/15/18 06:24 PM Re: Autopilot loses formation [Re: ChiefWH]  
ChiefWH Offline
ChiefWH  Offline

OK fair enough, I am at the lowest level of pilot so maybe it is a quirk of the rookie AI, but all the other aircraft stick together fine. If I enage AI on level flight towards the patrol zone I immediately start to fall back.

If I jump in and take control there is always room on the RPM to increase to catch up, so it feels like that is what is being pulled back.

#4439143 - 09/15/18 07:16 PM Re: Autopilot loses formation [Re: ChiefWH]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

l have noticed that when I throw the autopilot on at low altitude and then take it off at cruising altitude, the engine will stop as the mixture is still set for low altitude. I have no idea how autopilot works, so maybe it has nothing to do with it, but I thought I would just throw that out.

The older I get, the more I realize I don't need to be Han, Luke or Leia. I'm just happy to be rebel scum...
#4439144 - 09/15/18 07:22 PM Re: Autopilot loses formation [Re: ChiefWH]  
Polovski Online content
Polovski  Online Content

Hotshot

As I say doesn't happen here, so I don't know why you are seeing that except that novice setting is all I can think of.
All other aircraft in your squad will usually be Veteran or higher.

Yes Robert either set Auto mixture on in workshops - or you need to quickly set the mixture yourself when Autopilot is switched off if doing it manually. He resets it to what you had.
(or use auto pilot in less long sessions). You should be flying mostly, the pilot for player is meant as an aid not to fly the whole thing for you, although it can.

Last edited by Polovski; 09/15/18 08:55 PM.

Regards,

Polovski,
#4439146 - 09/15/18 07:27 PM Re: Autopilot loses formation [Re: ChiefWH]  
ChiefWH Offline
ChiefWH  Offline

I just tried the air start option, put the Auto pilot on and it was fine all the way to the patrol area!

I noticed the fuel thing before, it shows the Autopilot is leaning the mixture, with the RPM I could see when the aircraft is falling back on autopilot it is not as high as I would be using to catch up.

I was thinking maybe what I see happens when I put the Autopilot on but I've already drifted out of position too much, so the Autopilot is just travelling to the waypoint rather than getting back into formation.

(I do try and avoid Autopilot, but real life means I often have to throw it on mid mission, or I have to skip time because I'm pressed for time.)

#4439154 - 09/15/18 09:02 PM Re: Autopilot loses formation [Re: ChiefWH]  
Polovski Online content
Polovski  Online Content

Hotshot

Yeah that would do it ChiefWH.

Certainly if you were the leader, and are well off the path the AI flight may split and some other AI takes over as leader. Then you would be on your own then and fly to the waypoint yourself so ignoring any formation.

If are not leader and you use TAC you can see if the little read line there. This is the instructor indicator that tells you were to fly to your position in formation.
If it is there, the sim should know you are still in formation and is telling you to get into your formation position - the instructor (Ctrl+T toggle) also tells you to climb, descend etc to your positon.. If there is no red line then it believes you are not in formation anymore and they have decide to leave you.

Regards,

Polovski,

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.