Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 571 of 608 1 2 569 570 571 572 573 607 608
#4438196 - 09/10/18 11:03 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) **** [Re: SNAFU]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
JRT, this is looking like it is going to be a bad one. I’ve been through a number of hurricanes. None of them is good; just degrees of bad.

I was in the first arrival of US troops to provide aid after Hurricane Andrew. What a mess. Parts of Miami looked worse than Panama City and we had been fighting in there with tanks, artillery direct fire and SPECTRE gunship support. It was so bad that that when we sent out troops, they had trouble knowing where they were. All signs were down and there were huge areas where the debris was so bad you couldnt see the roads. There were times that the relief effort aircraft were flying more sorties than were flown in the Gulf War.

I hope your on-hand prep is good. Batteries, camp lanterns plus flashlights, coolers, emergency radio, gas for the grill, prescriptions filled, etc. Having pets is always a complication. Make sure you know which family shelters allow for pets in case you need to leave the house for any reason.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4438204 - 09/11/18 12:27 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

OG:

Yup. Andrew was a bad one. This will be one to remember and mightily bored will be those who didn't live through it. Hugo was as big and mean but that missed us and ended in our western mountains leaving a path of destruction. I expect to see a lot of military planes going overhead being relocated tomorrow. Naval ships have already put to sea. Never a good sign. The worst our area was hit by was probably Hazel in 1953. I remember that one, It blew through us and headed to Canada. It is the slow ones like this one that cause the most flooding.

There are two more on the way. The one going in the Gulf may nudge Florence to go a bit more North. Oh, goody. And that is good for our neighbors in S. Carolina. As it stands, our area will be on the right and most powerful side of this storm. Not seen that before. The eye of Hazel came right over our city. I remember going out to play during the calm before the winds returned.

Hurricanes are the price we pay for living in the south reasonably near the coast (2-300 miles). Those developers on our coast have been warned over and over in the past to stop building there. A cat 4 or 5 would come along one day and blow it into the sea. They did not listen and now it may all be washed away. That and all the work done by the Corps of Engineers to stop beach erosion too. The outer banks will not be the same. I hope the Hatteras lighthouse survives. It was moved back several years ago to protect it. The very worst, of course, is that this thing may kill people.

Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019
#4438233 - 09/11/18 03:34 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks.

At 11 PM the weather guy stated they know less about what this big storm is going to do than days ago. It isn't acting the way they expect. Now it has slowed and no longer is getting stronger for the time being. It is still 1,000 miles from landfall in NC and the projected path has shifted again to the north putting it coming right over us at some point. More or less like Hazel which was also a cat 4 in 1954. I was wrong about 1953. Hey, I was 10. The true track could continue to shift North or possibly South. No one knows about this crazy hurricane. . Some wag said "Waiting for a hurricane is much like being stalked by an angry turtle."

Anyone guessing the correct path of this storm before Wednesday gets a trip around the world for two entirely at your own expense. winkngrin

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019
#4438332 - 09/11/18 03:44 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

NEWS FLASH

NO APACHES LEFT IN NC

OK, there never were REAL Apaches here.
Fort Bragg is flying all their Apaches out of harm's way today. They are headed for GA. I may see some of them flying over here. I'd guess the ISAF and Marines will soon follow with their fast movers.

We are now under a tropical storm warning and will be until the heavy winds are near Fri. Sat. we will still be dealing with 35 MPH sustained wind. This won't be pretty. Over 80% of hurricane deaths are water related. We are not in a flood prone area and don't plan any driving thru the weekend. We'll be OK. I'll keep in touch until the lights go out and the battery dies. I might go stay through this with my son. He has a whole house generator and plenty of propane.

This is serious. For the first time in my long life I have seen people boarding up their windows this far inland.

#4438365 - 09/11/18 04:57 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Gentlemenses,

Where I usually roll my eyes at the hype on the media about these events, this time I am thinking this is the real deal.

It is slightly deviating, but the projected path is still pretty consistent. I am still hopeful that there will be some influence on it to turn it north into the Atlantic. Hopeful, but not expecting.

Landfall vicinity of New River and then right at you.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4438608 - 09/12/18 10:11 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all

JRT: Pretty sure you, yours and neighbors are busy preparing.
Keeping my fingers crossed that you all stay safe, and suffer no more than minimal inconvenience, but too pragmatic to believe that.
Keep that helmet handy, even if it's a bike helmet, those pet cages handy and don't overdo the lifting.
I know, we're not forty anymore but we have some pride, right? yep

#4438819 - 09/13/18 09:28 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Offline
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Offline
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

Thinking of those of you who are about to encounter Florence. May you and yours be kept safe.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4438876 - 09/14/18 03:26 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all

Just communicated with JRT. They are fine so far and hunkering down. Will try to keep us updated.
Good luck to all that may be affected.

#4438956 - 09/14/18 03:30 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Surprisingly good turn of events. Large loss of wind velocity and collapse of wall. Still not a good thing, but Noel it is going to be a rain and flooding events rather than devastating winds to go along with it.

Much less than it looked like 24 hours ago.

#4438957 - 09/14/18 03:30 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Thanks Fittop for keeping in touch. We are ok.

Power went off here at 6 but was back on at 9. Our Gov. just stated it is already sure to be a 500-1000 year rain event. Mostly down East mostly half a million of us are without power now and this will be a 3 day event. Storm surge has been terrible. Hundreds of rescues have been required. Rivers will continue to rise for days after the hurricane event has passed. It's a mess. Many other areas of the country have been hit in the past. Folks in Florida, Texas and Louisiana to name a few have been through as bad or worse. They have come back and we will too. Like them we will owe our first responders and emergency services people so much.

We have more military here than any other state. They are standing by to help when orders arrive. Already swift water units have made many rescues. We have been told that conditions of flooding will worsen over the next 3 to 7 days or more. It could have been worse here and it might have been better. This is a slow mover and that increases the rainfall and the damage from winds. Plus, this is an incredibly large monster . It covers the state N-S from state line to state line. We've had hurricanes but nothing quite like this one. Chances are power will go out again at some point. If so, I'm confident we'll be back before long. wink

#4438964 - 09/14/18 04:14 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Good to hear from you.

#4438989 - 09/14/18 06:45 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
Gents,

Rough weather due today but calm blue evening instead. Maybe it will arrive tomorrow. Off to Derbyshire on Sunday so will miss the Cardiff Philharmonic Orchestra performing on the newly constructed harbour decking.

Visitors thinning out here now as the busy holiday season fades but plenty of autumn and winter events to keep 'em coming.

'Find your enemy and shoot him down - everything else is unimportant.'

Manfred von Richtofen
---------------------------

#4438995 - 09/14/18 07:18 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

OG:
Glad I CAN be heard from.😀

Dux:

Boney Voyagee. I'd like to volunteer to house sit for you while you're gone. Help keep those desperate concert goers from taking home souvenirs from your domicile. OK, that isn't completely altruistic considering the hurricane and the mess it will leave behind next week. Wait, no planes flying from RDU International right now. Sorry, I guess I'll have to hunker down here and listen to the wind and rain lashing my windows. 🙄

#4439111 - 09/15/18 03:33 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Still dreary and dark with rain bands rolling over us. As tropical storm Florence finally takes the hint that she isn't wanted and seemingly reluctantly moves slowly SW to trouble millions more innocent folk. Yes, I'm sure there are as many innocent folk in SC as there are in NC. Maybe just a few more up here. wink

The night was windy and wet. Our power stayed on but my son's ( about 10 miles from here) went out about midnight. Of course his generator instantly came online (before the ceiling fans stopped turning) and they spent a pleasant night of dreamless slumber. Power was back on at his place by 5 AM. Thousands across the state are still without electricity this morning in spite of the wonderful efforts of the line crews working around the clock. Some of these guys and maybe girls are from as far away as California n add Quebec, Sacre Bleu. We owe them plenty.

If our luck holds until tomorrow, the wind should be far less evident and maybe not a factor at all. The ongoing menace from this slow moving monster will be flooding. At one point 90% of our 100 counties were under some kind or warning. Many (like ours) still are. Flash flooding will decrease in potential but river flooding causing even more evacuations, will be a critical concern well into next week. It ain't over yet. So far as is known, 5 souls have lost their lives due to Florence.

We're OK. We'll be fine. I know that for sure because WalMart just opened back up this morning. winkngrin

#4439301 - 09/17/18 12:07 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Gentlemenses,

Looks like Florence wasn’t the hurricane problem we expected and turned out to be a rain and flooding storm.

JRT, finally looks like you are out of the rain. The main stuff is now west of you. Tell us a bit about how things went for you and your area. Enquiring minds want to know.

#4439304 - 09/17/18 12:18 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Still raining. Projections are that rain here will begin tapering off. By Wed. about 30% less will be coming down. By Friday it will be down to 5%. The bad news is that temps will begin to climb into the 80's tomorrow and rise from there.Folks without power will suffer without air conditioning. Flooding across the state, with at last count 17 total. However, as waters recede, the count may rise. 18 lost their lives in 1954 when Hurricane Hazel came ashore.

The coast is really hurting. Having seen what it looks like now is shocking. Had it been a cat 4 or 5 I cannot even imagine how bad the destruction would have been. And Florence hasn't quit messing with us yet. The cleanup will start Wednesday so they are saying. I have not ever known of I-95 being closed from Va. to SC before in my life. Parts of it may still be closed due to flooding. So far, we have been very lucky. the city of New Bern has taken a terrible hit.

The port city of wilmington has as well and as the Cape Fear River rises it is in for more. Some areas will experience as much a 20' above flood stage. This thing is even now pouring inches or rain south west of us in Charlotte as it turns north. Creeks and rivers are rising over the whole state. Flooding is expected from the mountains to the coast before Florence moves away. Even as a tropical storm or tropical depression she continues to feed the flooding. Peaks of flooding will come later in the week. Some of the danger has past but it ain't over yet.

If you are travelling to or through NC, bring your water wings and waders. winkngrin

#4439380 - 09/17/18 03:05 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Not to put too fine a point of it my friends...but... THE SUN JUST PEEPED OUT!!!! Let the drying begin! 😎

#4439393 - 09/17/18 04:33 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: Jolly Roger Two]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all

Glad to hear that, JRT! Cell phone is on the blink (keeps shutting down with a good charge) so I was hoping you'd show up here.

#4439458 - 09/18/18 12:12 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

A much improved day today. Lotsa clouds this morning but plenty of sunshine this afternoon. The rivers are however rising. We fear the worst is yet to come.

We had a beautiful sunset lookee down below. While the storm toyed with us, I managed some watercoloring. One I actually like...the other, not so much. It was something to do. We managed to get to the RDU airport in Raleigh to pick up the grandkids. A 50 mile drive without mishap is encouraging. Lotsa flooding seen though. A house I once owned is in a subdivision that is flooded. We saw that on TV. That was even worse than looking out your window to see what a storm is doing and seeing Jim Cantori. winkngrin

Just click on each to see a bigger version...if you dare.

Attached Files LRM_EXPORT_20180912_190948_21 (600 x 314).jpgBuck Listening-2.jpg109 vs Hurri _ 09_18 SM.jpg
Last edited by Jolly Roger Two; 09/18/18 12:14 AM. Reason: Instructions added

#4439460 - 09/18/18 12:29 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Gentlemenses,

JRT, that buck is very good. You have some talent.

I will be flying over your area on the 29th and then again on Oct 6th. Flying up to see family in VA Beach and then returning. I’ll try to bore a good hole in the sky to let out some of the moisture. I will be passing 7 miles southeast of W03 , Wilson Industrial. I will give you an accurate time in 10 days. I expect to see you at the J Mart on Alt 264 ( Nash St SE) jumping up and down and waving your arms. You will know it’s me because my airplane has wings. One on each side. I will rock them for you.

Page 571 of 608 1 2 569 570 571 572 573 607 608

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.