Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4437868 - 09/08/18 09:30 PM CH Pro Pedals not being recognized  
Over50 Offline
Over50  Offline

Michigan, USA
I'm running W10 64 Home for starters.

I set up my CH combatstick USB as device 1 and pro pedals as device 2 with CH control mgr. same as I did for WOFF, saved the map file and DL'd it to WOTR. (Note: both toe brake axis's set to None and pedal movement to Slider 1)

Opening the keyboard and device listing in workshop both device 1 and 2 are shown (same as in WOFF).

I set up device 1 (joystick) by clearing all assignments first then selected the button assignments I used with WOFF and saved.

Starting the game and checking, all button assignments plus wing and elevator worked property.

Going back to Workshop and selecting device 2 is where things go south.

I deleted all default assignments, selected "Yaw" which read: "Yaw Control (Rudder) on: CH Control Mgr. Device 2, and when I move the pedals the bind option is to a joystick button. If I go ahead and attempt to bind the rudder pedals to "Rudder" it immediately set the throttle as rudder control.

I've deleted the .xca file, unplugged the combatstick and pro pedals, rebooted, calibrated and then set up them up again as device 1 and 2, saved as a map file and downloaded to WOTR multiple times and the game just is still seeing device 2 as a joystick.

I'm stumped. I never ran into this with WOFF. Was I supposed to let WOTR see my copy of CFS3 during the installation?

EDIT: Forgot to note I did install DX9 per the game installation procedure

Last edited by Over50; 09/08/18 09:40 PM.

W10, I7-8700 CPU
32 GB RAM
RTX 3070
500 GB SSD
TrackIR v5

#4437873 - 09/08/18 10:28 PM Re: CH Pro Pedals not being recognized [Re: Over50]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Check the thread on the VBK pedals may be the same issue.

Make sure you don't have another controller or axis using Z axis, other thank rudder.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4437896 - 09/09/18 12:30 AM Re: CH Pro Pedals not being recognized [Re: Polovski]  
Over50 Offline
Over50  Offline

Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by Polovski
Check the thread on the VBK pedals may be the same issue.

Make sure you dint have another controller or axis using Z axis, other thank rudder.

[quote=Polovski]Check the thread on the VBK pedals may be the same issue

The only game controllers I have plugged in are the USB CH Combatstick and Pro Pedals. I disconnected both then uninstalled CH Control Mgr., rebooted, ran CCleaner to remove any registry traces, then plugged in the joystick and pedals and both were recognized by W10 under Devices. Of note - The default Windows 10 calibration (not CH Control Mgr) shows Z axis movement for both the joystick AND the pedals.

Even though I set the joystick throttle to "slider 1" and the pedal movement to "slider 0" in CH Control Manager setup, once back at the game KB and devices mapping there are a Device 1 and Device 2 shown BUT the rudder movement AND the throttle movement both show Z axis movement and NO "slider 1" or "slider 0" listed.

With W10 seeing both the throttle and pedal movements as Z axis it's apparent this is being carried over to the CH Control Mgr. which as I've read now is not functional with W10 - and the CH developer has retired.

If this can't be overcome with CH joysticks and pedals then I can't run WOTR......

W10, I7-8700 CPU
32 GB RAM
RTX 3070
500 GB SSD
TrackIR v5

#4437903 - 09/09/18 02:01 AM Re: CH Pro Pedals not being recognized [Re: Over50]  
Over50 Offline
Over50  Offline

Michigan, USA
Just a thought ... could this be a USB 3 vs. USB 2 device and/or port compatibility? My combatstick and pro pedals are USB 2 and they're plugged into USB 3 ports on my new system...where USB 3 ports are purported to be backward compatible with USB 2 devices but in this case maybe not, thus the unrecognized slider 1 and slider 0 references in workshop.

Last edited by Over50; 09/09/18 02:02 AM.

W10, I7-8700 CPU
32 GB RAM
RTX 3070
500 GB SSD
TrackIR v5

#4437907 - 09/09/18 03:15 AM Re: CH Pro Pedals not being recognized [Re: Over50]  
BirdDogICT Offline
BirdDogICT  Offline

Over50,

CH devices work fine with either USB3 or USB2 ports, however powered USB hubs can be problematic. Make sure that they are well-seated if using USB3, as the ports are a tad deeper. Windows should recognize your CH devices whether you are using USB3 or USB2.

However, CH Control Manager DOES NOT work reliably with USB3 devices. You are better off plugging all of your CH controllers into USB2 ports if you use CH Control Manager.

FWIW, WOTR immediately recognized my Flight Stick, Pro Throttle, and Pro Pedals, mapped as one device via CH Control Manager 4.55a. My devices are all in USB2 ports.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by BirdDogICT; 09/09/18 03:24 AM. Reason: spelling errors

There are no accidents and no fatal flaws in the machines; there are only pilots with the wrong stuff.

— Tom Wolfe, The Right Stuff,1979.
#4437913 - 09/09/18 04:26 AM Re: CH Pro Pedals not being recognized [Re: BirdDogICT]  
Over50 Offline
Over50  Offline

Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by BirdDogICT
Over50,

CH devices work fine with either USB3 or USB2 ports, however powered USB hubs can be problematic. Make sure that they are well-seated if using USB3, as the ports are a tad deeper. Windows should recognize your CH devices whether you are using USB3 or USB2.

However, CH Control Manager DOES NOT work reliably with USB3 devices. You are better off plugging all of your CH controllers into USB2 ports if you use CH Control Manager.

FWIW, WOTR immediately recognized my Flight Stick, Pro Throttle, and Pro Pedals, mapped as one device via CH Control Manager 4.55a. My devices are all in USB2 ports.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for taking time to reply!

I plugged my Combatstick and Pro Pedals into the (2) USB 2 ports I have with my new system. Windows recognized them in "printers and devices" as CH Combatstick and CH Pro Pedals same as when I had them plugged into the USB 3 ports.

I calibrated both again via CH Manager, then reassigned the Combatstick throttle wheel as "Slider 1", then set the Pro Pedal toe brakes to "none" (both pedals), then reassigned the pedal movement as "Slider 0". At this point I saved the settings to the "Wings Over The Reich" folder then clicked the download button to load the settings into the game.

Unfortunately the change from USB 3 to USB 2 ports didn't solve my problem.

I'm showing still showing Device 1 and Device 2 in the game controller settings BUT w/o "Slider 1" and "Slider 0" same as previously, leaving just the X,Y and Z axis's identifiers.

My question to you is how did you map all (3) of your CH components as "one device" ????

I didn't have any issues with W7 and WOFF remapping both devices and loaded into the game following the very same procedure I've been using here...

EDIT: The consistent problem as I see it is W10 is wrongly recognizing the pedals as a joystick controller - and confirmed via the W10 calibration, where the calibration display calls for pushing a controller button to confirm/complete the calibration.

Last edited by Over50; 09/09/18 06:04 AM.

W10, I7-8700 CPU
32 GB RAM
RTX 3070
500 GB SSD
TrackIR v5

#4437964 - 09/09/18 04:09 PM Re: CH Pro Pedals not being recognized [Re: Over50]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Maybe try the V4.55a manager as BirdDogICT used?

Regards,

Polovski,
#4437973 - 09/09/18 05:06 PM Re: CH Pro Pedals not being recognized [Re: Polovski]  
Over50 Offline
Over50  Offline

Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by Polovski
Maybe try the V4.55a manager as BirdDogICT used?

V4.55a is what I have installed.

But whatever the problem it isn't on my end. I installed the Blitz version of CLOD late last night and had no problem setting up my CH combatstick and pro pedals. Same for IL2 battle of Stalingrad.

I was going to install WOFF UE last night to see if I could set up my CH pedals and joystick but the only backups I had on my thumb drive were the (2) WOFF expansions. I obviously missed copying the UE edition download to the thumb drive when I made my backups before moving everything to my new system. How do I go about contacting OBD with my purchase order number (I bought the UE edition in May 2017) to download the game again?

Last edited by Over50; 09/09/18 05:27 PM.

W10, I7-8700 CPU
32 GB RAM
RTX 3070
500 GB SSD
TrackIR v5

#4437978 - 09/09/18 05:57 PM Re: CH Pro Pedals not being recognized [Re: Over50]  
BirdDogICT Offline
BirdDogICT  Offline

Over50,

Working with CH controllers can be frustrating, and it probably doesn't make it less so if I tell you that the problems ARE probably on your end. If you visit the CH Hangar website, you will see dozens of users with all kinds of problems, most caused by Windows and how it interacts with CH Manager.

You can avoid many issues by setting up your CH profiles in Mapped Mode. If you look at the main CH Controller menu, you'll note three blue "mode" buttons on the top right side. They are from left to right "Off", "Direct", and "Mapped" (see attachment).. I almost always use Mapped Mode, but it depends on the sim. This allows me, for example, to set up my Flight Stick as CM Device 1, Pro Throttle as CM Device 2, and Pro Pedals as CM Device 3. When I download the profile via CH Manager, the program create a "HID-compliant game controller" with all three devices rolled into one (you can see this listed in Windows under Devices). This single controller will be recognized in WOTR as CH Control Manager Device 1. (Edit: if you look at the WOTR FAQ, pp15-18, I actually set up the Flight Stick, Pro Throttle, and Pro Rudder all as CM Device 1, and assigned the Pro Throttle and Pro Rudder to sliders on CM Device 1. Loading the CH Map into memory creates one virtual device: CH Control Manager Device 1).

Forget what you know about setting up controllers in IL2 Cliffs of Dover, DCS World, or any other sims...each one has different requirements. Some work with Direct Mode, others work better with Mapped Mode. I can assure you that WOTR works great in Mapped Mode, and recognized my devices without any issues. (Edit: FWIW, trying to load CH devices individually without CH Manager never worked for me, either.)

Uninstalling and reinstalling CH controllers repeatedly is just going to make things more unstable. Once you get the drivers properly loaded in Windows, the devices tend to migrate from one USB location to another each time you reboot, so you are better off to leave the devices in the same USB ports all the time. The USB location switching by Windows eventually settles down, but it may take 5-6 reboots.

I am working on updating my WOFF CH profile to include new commands in WOTR. I will make it available in the next day or two,

Attached Files Untitled.png
Last edited by BirdDogICT; 09/09/18 07:25 PM. Reason: Clarity

There are no accidents and no fatal flaws in the machines; there are only pilots with the wrong stuff.

#4437993 - 09/09/18 08:00 PM Re: CH Pro Pedals not being recognized [Re: BirdDogICT]  
Over50 Offline
Over50  Offline

Michigan, USA
Over50,

Working with CH controllers can be frustrating, and it probably doesn't make it less so if I tell you that the problems ARE probably on your end. If you visit the CH Hangar website, you will see dozens of users with all kinds of problems, most caused by Windows and how it interacts with CH Manager.

You can avoid many issues by setting up your CH profiles in Mapped Mode. If you look at the main CH Controller menu, you'll note three blue "mode" buttons on the top right side. They are from left to right "Off", "Direct", and "Mapped" (see attachment).. I almost always use Mapped Mode, but it depends on the sim. This allows me, for example, to set up my Flight Stick as CM Device 1, Pro Throttle as CM Device 2, and Pro Pedals as CM Device 3. When I download the profile via CH Manager, the program create a "HID-compliant game controller" with all three devices rolled into one (you can see this listed in Windows under Devices). This single controller will be recognized in WOTR as CH Control Manager Device 1. (Edit: if you look at the WOTR FAQ, pp15-18, I actually set up the Flight Stick, Pro Throttle, and Pro Rudder all as CM Device 1, and assigned the Pro Throttle and Pro Rudder to sliders on CM Device 1. Loading the CH Map into memory creates one virtual device: CH Control Manager Device 1).

Forget what you know about setting up controllers in IL2 Cliffs of Dover, DCS World, or any other sims...each one has different requirements. Some work with Direct Mode, others work better with Mapped Mode. I can assure you that WOTR works great in Mapped Mode, and recognized my devices without any issues. (Edit: FWIW, trying to load CH devices individually without CH Manager never worked for me, either.)

Uninstalling and reinstalling CH controllers repeatedly is just going to make things more unstable. Once you get the drivers properly loaded in Windows, the devices tend to migrate from one USB location to another each time you reboot, so you are better off to leave the devices in the same USB ports all the time. The USB location switching by Windows eventually settles down, but it may take 5-6 reboots.

I am working on updating my WOFF CH profile to include new commands in WOTR. I will make it available in the next day or two,

I followed the same mapping procedure I've used with all the WOFF iterations - AND the WOTR FAQ CH Products mapping identities that identify the joystick as device one with slider 1 reference and the pedals as device 2 with slider 0 configuration.

What I'm not seeing in the WOTR setup after downloading the mapped devices is slider 1 and 0 references in tandem with the XYZ axis's. As such - and I assume as a result - why my pedals are seen as a joystick which prevents me from binding the pedal movement because (obviously) the pedals don't have buttons to click to bind the pedals to the rudder movement.

So to be clear with your procedure all I have to do is map the combatstick as device 1 and the pedals as device 2 and make no changes to the axis's then download it to the game?

Last edited by Over50; 09/09/18 08:01 PM.

W10, I7-8700 CPU
32 GB RAM
RTX 3070
500 GB SSD
TrackIR v5

#4438020 - 09/09/18 11:50 PM Re: CH Pro Pedals not being recognized [Re: Over50]  
BirdDogICT Offline
BirdDogICT  Offline

I wasn't clear enough on my previous post, assuming that you had followed the WOTR FAQ on setting up CH controllers.

So follow these steps:

1. Download my WOFF Map from the downloads section as a starting point or create your own. You are free to edit it as you like. It contains 80% of the commands you'll need for WOTR, you just need to update the CMC file and assign new buttons as you prefer. (I'm assuming you're familiar with CH programming).

2. Set up your Map profile as follows (or use my WOFF.map):
a. Fighter Stick is CM Device 1. Y Axis and X Axis have been assigned, and the Throttle Axis is assigned to Slider 1. (Note that the Throttle Axis on the Flight Stick is the rotary dial on the left side of the base. I use it for prop pitch. If you didn't have a Pro Throttle, you could map it to Z axis for use as a throttle, as in the next step).
b. Pro Throttle is also CM Device 1, and the Throttle Axis on the Pro Throttle has been assigned to Z axis.
c. Pro Pedals are also CM Device 1, and the Rudder Axis is assigned to R axis. The toe brakes are unassigned.
d. All devices are in Mapped Mode

So, when you download this map into memory, the virtual device "CH Control Device 1" will have X Axis, Y Asis, Slider1, Z Axis, and R Axis.

3. Assuming you have downloaded the map to memory, you can then start WOTRkeys.exe (either through the Workshop or in C:\OBDSoftware\WOTR/Toolbox
a. You should see that the available Controller is CH Control Device 1
b. You should see that your available axes/sliders are X Axis, Y Axis, Z Axis, Rz Axis, and Slider 0 (by default DirectX assigns sliders as 0, 1, 2, etc., which may not match your assignment in CH Manager)
c. Since we have set everything on one controller and used standard joystick axis assignments (e.g., X, Y, Z, R), WOTR has automatically bound these axes. You don't have to do anything else for these axes.
d. Since Slider 0 is not standard, we have to bind it, so, under Current Bindings choose "Axis Slider - propeller pitch", and under Bind to Axis choose "Propeller Pitch", and rotate the Flight Stick Throttle Wheel to bind it.
e. Since all of the button assignments were made in the CH Map we downloaded, we don't have to bind any button assignments.
f. Save your profile, and you should be ready to go.

Hope this helps. I'm currently testing a new WOTR map, should have it done in the next day or so.

Best regards,
BirdDogICT

Attached Files Map Leys.png
Last edited by BirdDogICT; 09/10/18 04:00 AM. Reason: Additional info

#4438044 - 09/10/18 03:58 AM Re: CH Pro Pedals not being recognized [Re: BirdDogICT]  
Over50 Offline
Over50  Offline

Michigan, USA
FINALLY!!!

Naming both my CH combat stick and CH Pro Pedals as "Device 1" in Control Manager was new ground for me other than setting both pro pedal toe brakes to "none".

New also was the second step to set the CH Pro Pedal movement as Axis R.

And the major step is downloading the setup at that point followed by NOT attempting to bind the rudder movement. As you noted once the combined "Device 1' with the inclusive individual axis settings are shown in the workshop controller list YOU'RE DONE AND NO NEED TO CLEAR EXISTING BINDINGS other than to remap/bind the joystick button actions to your individual liking.

As your procedure totally conflicts with the WOTR FAQ CH Products setup I would strongly recommend the Dev's reference the setup guide you posted in place of it.

Again, thanks so much for setup guide!!

W10, I7-8700 CPU
32 GB RAM
RTX 3070
500 GB SSD
TrackIR v5

#4438075 - 09/10/18 10:56 AM Re: CH Pro Pedals not being recognized [Re: Over50]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Many thanks BirdDogICT. Of course I'll update the WOTR FAQ with your new instructions - let me know when you make the WOTR map please.

Last edited by Polovski; 09/10/18 11:05 AM.

Regards,

Polovski,
#4438108 - 09/10/18 01:40 PM Re: CH Pro Pedals not being recognized [Re: Polovski]  
BirdDogICT Offline
BirdDogICT  Offline

Will do.

#4438146 - 09/10/18 04:59 PM Re: CH Pro Pedals not being recognized [Re: Over50]  
Over50 Offline
Over50  Offline

Michigan, USA
Just to mention in my case this setup worked with my combatstick and pro pedals plugged into either the USB 3 or USB 2 ports on my new system.

W10, I7-8700 CPU
32 GB RAM
RTX 3070
500 GB SSD
TrackIR v5

#4438180 - 09/10/18 08:28 PM Re: CH Pro Pedals not being recognized [Re: Over50]  
BirdDogICT Offline
BirdDogICT  Offline

Over50,

Glad everything is working now.

FWIW, the USB issue is well-documented, and you can blame Microsoft for most of the problems. With every Windows update, different problems crop up with USB, DirectX, power management, the Windows Store App, etc., depending on how your Windows is configured. I try to avoid the most obvious, documented problems.

Anyway, most people have problems with CH devices plugged into USB 3.0, some users go so far as to change their XHCI settings in their motherboard BIOS to downgrade their USB 3 ports to USB 2. Mixing USB3 and USB 2 devices typically makes mapped mode impossible.

Another important setting is Power Management in Control Panel. Check your power plan for USB settings and make sure that "USB selective suspend setting" is disabled. You should also check USB devices in Device Manager - Power Management - uncheck "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".

But, as we always say, your mileage may vary.

#4438209 - 09/11/18 01:12 AM Re: CH Pro Pedals not being recognized [Re: BirdDogICT]  
Over50 Offline
Over50  Offline

Michigan, USA
Over50,

Glad everything is working now.

FWIW, the USB issue is well-documented, and you can blame Microsoft for most of the problems. With every Windows update, different problems crop up with USB, DirectX, power management, the Windows Store App, etc., depending on how your Windows is configured. I try to avoid the most obvious, documented problems.

Anyway, most people have problems with CH devices plugged into USB 3.0, some users go so far as to change their XHCI settings in their motherboard BIOS to downgrade their USB 3 ports to USB 2. Mixing USB3 and USB 2 devices typically makes mapped mode impossible.

Another important setting is Power Management in Control Panel. Check your power plan for USB settings and make sure that "USB selective suspend setting" is disabled. You should also check USB devices in Device Manager - Power Management - uncheck "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".

But, as we always say, your mileage may vary.

You got that right about W10 updates .... or better put, W10 update headaches.

And, yes, I was aware of the USB power setting ... and it has been disabled and along with all power power options. Seemed pointless with 4.6 GHz processor gaming system to worry about power saving...

Also read it is advisable to disable the W10 default "On" MS game overlay for XBOX even if you don't have one ... if for no other reason than to remove it as a potential crash problem.

By the way, I just plugged in the same "1 device" map into WOFF UE. Worked like a charm!!

Last edited by Over50; 09/11/18 01:13 AM.

W10, I7-8700 CPU
32 GB RAM
RTX 3070
500 GB SSD
TrackIR v5

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.