Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#4437441 - 09/06/18 04:32 AM Re: Wings Over The Reich Now Released! [Re: Polovski]  
matmilne Offline
matmilne  Offline

UK
ccip gets it.

ITunes https://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/matt-milne/1301047345
Spotify https://open.spotify.com/album/4HohtzSKX5P5lz885y3BPu
Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07NVS3WBV/ref=dm_ws_sp_ps_dp

Demo Reel https://soundcloud.com/matt-milne-8/sets/demo-reel-full

Composer - games, films, and tv.
Wings over the Reich, Rise of Flight, Woff, off 2&3, Photokill and Star Trek: Bridge Commander Kobayashimaru
#4437447 - 09/06/18 06:07 AM Re: Wings Over The Reich Now Released! [Re: Polovski]  
CCIP Offline
CCIP  Offline

Some really early first impressions from my end!

-Is it WOFF in WWII? Yeah, pretty much - that is, it'll seem familiar to anybody who'd played that. Controls, menus, views, the whole lot of the presentation is basically unchanged. Not a bad thing, if you like WOFF.
-The terrain is looking good! I was glad to see that it's not a copy-paste of the the existing WWI-era map of England from WOFF. It looks like WWII England. London seems to have sprawled out and become a bit denser in most places. Buildings in many places look a good bit different. Trees are denser and more varied. The landscape overall is not quite as sharp and vibrant as say IL-2 CloD's England terrain, but makes up for it with some lovingly-crafted details you'd expect like livestock and the lot. Plenty of landmarks, and a ton of airfields - I've only poked around a little, but it seems like 10, 11 and 12 Group fields are basically all present and accounted for. Object counts and draw distances have definitely increased since WOFF.
-Water looks great, clouds look great, some new effects here and there.
-Cockpits are very good. Again, not better than comparable titles, but plenty good enough on the eye. No clickable switches, but the instruments are sharp and all seem to work as expected. Textures are a little flat in places, but the lighting and shadowing of the cockpit is smooth and gives you a good feeling of depth.
-Aircraft models are good, though the poly counts and texture resolutions aren't going to wow anyone - showing the base engine's age a bit here. Variety of skins is really limited right now.
-Flyable aircraft... well, what you see is what you get! For now it's Hurri Mk.I and Bf 109E-4, and that's all for the moment. Neither comes with a lot of paint schemes out of the box.
-Lack of documentation or training on the aircraft right now is a bit disappointing. Both of the main planes have some really important quirks, and unless you already know them from elsewhere, you might feel a little lost at first!
-Flight models seem good on first try, as far as I can gather. The Hurricane seems at a fair bit of handicap against the 109 - feels like a weighty aircraft, but rugged. Stalls and spins are harsh, but compared to most of WOFF's WWI aircraft are much easier to recover from.
-The AI's survival instincts from WOFF that I so much enjoy are definitely intact. If they don't like what they're seeing, they're off. Hooray! And on initial dogfighting, the Bf 109s were definitely doing booming and zooming all the way, and not getting tangled up in knife fights. If you fly RAF, I can already tell you'll be in for a tough time if you choose to take on fighters. (edit: after trying a couple of campaign missions - confirmed!!)
-Game generally runs good and stable, as you'd expect it - though does retain some of the CFS3/WOFF quirks, such as its finickiness about alt-tabbing. Frame rates are a little lower than I'm used to in WOFF, but proportionally to the increase in detail/draw distances - which means you can get it back up by lowering settings a little.
-The team continues evolving the engine bit by bit as in WOFF - as I mentioned, there's some noticeable (but not huge) improvements in details. But it's also a work in progress - for example, there's some intriguing placeholders in the UI, like a DX11 render option, which for the moment is greyed out.
-The new flak definitely made me sit up and go wow! Impressive job. I think the smoke sprites themselves could be a little larger and more uneven, but the animations, sound, and "oomph" to flak is just fantastic overall. I am going to be really excited to see the flak really go to work when WOTR moves over to strategic bombing of the continent....
-Damage effects in flight are pretty reasonable - bullet holes, parts getting shot off and all. I turned the AI gun accuracy to low, particularly for the tail gunners - they still seem to be pretty good shots, but not excessively so. Gunfire seems generally more immediately deadly to the aircraft (if not the pilot).
-There's a pretty hilarious glitch (hopefully to be fixed soon!) with bailing out - your pilot will jump and clear the aircraft just fine, parachute deployed... then proceed to drop to the ground faster than your aircraft in a fatal nosedive! It looks silly, though seems to have no bearing on the result. Aircraft also do some funny things after crashing, especially into the water - e.g. a plane that nosedived into the Channel will leave a very intact-looking fuselage standing on its nose right in the water.
-Sound is very good on first impression. Still getting used to it - not sure what I think of the engine sounds yet - but there's a lot of neat ambient sound and a lot of 'oomph' to things in general.
-Radio comms are rudimentary, but I'm intrigued by some of what I see. Playing as RAF, you do indeed get vectors from ground control - and the information you get from them isn't always precise. Sometimes you get pretty vague directions and intel.
-Don't have a good sense of the campaign yet but, again, seems to be functionally identical to WOFF - and that's a good thing in my book. Can't tell you how well it captures the real actions of that period yet, but looks promising. The couple of campaign missions I flew, in July over water as RAF, seemed pretty busy. Both were scrambles to contacts made by RDF stations, if the briefings are to be believed. The Germans were active and quickly concentrated in one area (though the formations weren't too dense), and their fighters were never too far away from their bombers. I usually spotted the fighters first, and although I'm not too positive on that - at least over the channel/Thames estuary, I was only catching bombers during egress. I was mostly encountering them in multiple groups of 6-8 at altitudes over 12-15,000 - they passed through the same areas in a relatively brief space of time and scooted out. I usually seemed to be able to get at the bombers - but only very briefly before the 109s were all over me. It seemed like they were pretty content to just drive me down - I could lose them pretty easily, but only at the cost of a few thousand feet in altitude (along with any chance of catching up to the same bomber formation again). But if I was stubborn and stuck it out, they made mincemeat out of me pretty quickly - once they start firing, you pretty much have to pull something high-G or you'll get hit hard.

So... not bad so far! smile

Last edited by CCIP; 09/06/18 07:35 AM.

If you're having trim problems, I feel bad for you son
I got ninety-nine problems, but my pitch ain't one...
#4437451 - 09/06/18 07:55 AM Re: Wings Over The Reich Now Released! [Re: Polovski]  
JimAttrill Offline
JimAttrill  Offline

Johannesburg, South Africa
I haven't yet bought WOTR - still flying WOFFUE but I did see the picture of the Hurricane. It has the code UP which is 605 squadron which flew Hurricanes in the BoB. Strangely enough, UP can also be 222 squadron which flew Spitfires at the same time. Strange that the RAF used the same code twice at the same time.

Anyway, WOTR got it right with a Hurricane of 605 squadron. They flew from Hawkinge and Croydon in England and Drem in Scotland during the BoB.

LG 27" 27mp65 monitor; EVGA GTX970 GPU; AMD Ryzen 3500 CPU; Corsair 750w PSU; MSI X470 mobo

RAF 1966-73 Cpl Engine Fitter (Retd.) Trenchard brat 206th Entry
DBA and systems programmer 1981-2005. Now retired since 2014
#4437455 - 09/06/18 08:50 AM Re: Wings Over The Reich Now Released! [Re: Polovski]  
Ace_Pilto Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber
Ace_Pilto  Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber

Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
Congrats on getting the release out OBD, will be visiting your store tomorrow. Looking forward to stooging around Southern England in a Hurricane.

Let's pretend I got the BWOC badge to embed here.

Wenn ihr sieg im deine Kampf selbst gegen, wirst stark wie Stahl sein.
"The best techniques are passed on by the survivors." - Gaiden Shinji
#4437470 - 09/06/18 12:22 PM Re: Wings Over The Reich Now Released! [Re: Polovski]  
kaa Offline
kaa  Offline

France
Could not wait to try at on my desktop at home so I downloaded WOTR on my "under the requirements" laptop and fired the game just to see what's there , created a German pilot and ran a quasi slideshow free flight quick mission for it . Nice feel to be airborne, very nice cockpit with readable gauges etc etc but alredy 4 points puzzled me :

1/ could not choose in what unit to enlist ( never met that in WOFF) but maybe i did something wrong.

2/ same problem with ranks and unit structure than WOFF but more annoying for WW2 simulation IMO : no Gruppe- Staffel-Schwarm (and maybe Rotte) structure, just a big bag of pilots divided for the mission in two "Schwaerme". About the ranks, Flieger, Gefreiter Stabsgefreiter (did not know that this rank existed) should have remained on the ground with mechanics and administrative and security members of the Gruppe and should have been replaced by Unteroffizier, Feldwebel und Oberfeldwebel .

4/ quick mission starts in the air with the plane already in a uncontrolled dive and in external view, so the first ones ended in a crash before i could take control and recover because started at a too low alt.

3/ last but not least could not find any trace of the 109 leading edge slats that should deploy when a stall is about to occur but maybe it is because of the simplified selection for graphics ets I did to be able to run a mission .

Otherwise , tonight i 'll spend more time on my better fitted desktop.

Last edited by kaa; 09/06/18 12:47 PM.

"Anyone can shoot you down if you don't see him coming but it takes a wonderfully good Hun to bag a Camel if you're expecting him."
Tom Cundall.
#4437478 - 09/06/18 12:45 PM Re: Wings Over The Reich Now Released! [Re: Polovski]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

CCIP, a very nice overview that agreed with what I have seen so far. The UI fits like a nice familiar glove if you have played WOFF. I think the skins that are there are very nicely done and the flak was definitely a nice surprise! Very effective at steering me in. There is still a bit of the weird cloud popping and slicing effect, maybe that can be improved with dx 11? Also, you can see the parachute effect at the end of the video I posted, if anyone is curious.

The older I get, the more I realize I don't need to be Han, Luke or Leia. I'm just happy to be rebel scum...
#4437480 - 09/06/18 12:50 PM Re: Wings Over The Reich Now Released! [Re: Polovski]  
rtoolooze262 Offline
rtoolooze262  Offline

Mo. USA
Imo, I'm amazed at how low the price is. Giving the track record that WOFF has, I'm super stoked about what is to come. Its gonna be an awesome journey and I'll be there supporting it all the way. This is just the beginning. Really, tell me of a single player experience as good as what OBD has given us. None I know of, and I've had 'em all since the early 90's. Thanks OBD for the fantastic ride!

#4437482 - 09/06/18 12:52 PM Re: Wings Over The Reich Now Released! [Re: Polovski]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Manual Enlist is there just like in WOFF. See the WOTR FAQ too.
Can't comment on ranks not my area.
Set joystick in the middle before launch.
Slats not modelled.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4437486 - 09/06/18 01:01 PM Re: Wings Over The Reich Now Released! [Re: Polovski]  
Space_Ghost Offline
Space_Ghost  Offline

There's so much assumption about my position that I'm not even going to bother responding.

That being said, I bought on anyway. Looking forward to giving the sim a test drive.

#4437488 - 09/06/18 01:08 PM Re: Wings Over The Reich Now Released! [Re: Polovski]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Thanks Space_Ghost

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4437489 - 09/06/18 01:12 PM Re: Wings Over The Reich Now Released! [Re: Polovski]  
kaa Offline
kaa  Offline

France
Manual enlist of course.

"Anyone can shoot you down if you don't see him coming but it takes a wonderfully good Hun to bag a Camel if you're expecting him."
Tom Cundall.
#4437500 - 09/06/18 03:45 PM Re: Wings Over The Reich Now Released! [Re: Polovski]  
CCIP Offline
CCIP  Offline

Sorry if I misread you Space_Ghost! To be honest, I've just had that discussion a few times elsewhere, so I was definitely projecting things I'd read elsewhere, not anything you actually said. I think it's a useful conversation to have - but I definitely didn't mean to imply you said any of the points I was countering.

Now on to enjoy the game smile

If you're having trim problems, I feel bad for you son
I got ninety-nine problems, but my pitch ain't one...
#4437504 - 09/06/18 04:08 PM Re: Wings Over The Reich Now Released! [Re: Polovski]  
SebToombs Offline
SebToombs  Offline

UK
Originally Posted by Polovski

Hi All,

After a long hard slog to get here, the wait is over.

Wings Over The Reich is now available.

Please see www.wingsoverthereich.com

[Linked Image]

Box for illustration only

Also many thanks to the Beta testers for helping get us over the line...

Brilliant! bought and downloaded it last night... very happy to support the work you do Polovski! I loved my two hours with it last night! looking forward to how this pans out - I'm with you all the way!

#4437508 - 09/06/18 05:01 PM Re: Wings Over The Reich Now Released! [Re: CCIP]  
77_Scout Offline
77_Scout  Offline

Vancouver Island, Canada
Originally Posted by CCIP

-Lack of documentation or training on the aircraft right now is a bit disappointing. Both of the main planes have some really important quirks, and unless you already know them from elsewhere, you might feel a little lost at first!
-Flight models seem good on first try, as far as I can gather. The Hurricane seems at a fair bit of handicap against the 109 - feels like a weighty aircraft, but rugged. Stalls and spins are harsh, but compared to most of WOFF's WWI aircraft are much easier to recover from.

I am hoping to see some advice here in the forum regarding how to fly the Hurricane well. I am going to need better skills and tactics to survive ... my lame 'hard-turning on a horizontal plane' sure isn't working well.

#4437517 - 09/06/18 05:36 PM Re: Wings Over The Reich Now Released! [Re: Polovski]  
Dark_Canuck Offline
Dark_Canuck  Offline

Canada
Ive read about pilots trying a tight climbing turn in Hurricanes vs BF109s. Ive yet to give it a try in game yet. Whatever you do, dont try to outdive Jerry.

Last edited by Dark_Canuck; 09/06/18 05:36 PM.
#4437532 - 09/06/18 06:18 PM Re: Wings Over The Reich Now Released! [Re: Polovski]  
Dark_Canuck Offline
Dark_Canuck  Offline

Canada
There is also this document about a comparison done between the 109 and the Hurricane in May 1940 that supports the turning climb tactic.

Either way, it is a good read.

Attached Files
hurricane-109.pdf (194 downloads)
#4437555 - 09/06/18 08:39 PM Re: Wings Over The Reich Now Released! [Re: Polovski]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Buying it today. Hope the download works if not consider the coin a donation to OBD just love the Art Work and the Company support.

#4437557 - 09/06/18 08:49 PM Re: Wings Over The Reich Now Released! [Re: Dark_Canuck]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Originally Posted by Dark_Canuck
Ive read about pilots trying a tight climbing turn in Hurricanes vs BF109s. Ive yet to give it a try in game yet. Whatever you do, dont try to outdive Jerry.

This is interesting because coming from WOFF, I am used to just barely keeping it together in the top of a power turning climb. To do it in a Hurricane and find out I still had enough energy left to do something was...refreshing...

The older I get, the more I realize I don't need to be Han, Luke or Leia. I'm just happy to be rebel scum...
#4437577 - 09/06/18 10:56 PM Re: Wings Over The Reich Now Released! [Re: Polovski]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Just flew 1st mission although with handicaps. CCIP has a accurate Overview ( Well done.) Things I couldnt fine the button to raise the Flaps so used auto pilot to correct. Also couldnt Open the Canopy ( Standard procedure in RAF open canopy during takeoffs and landings. I think? Heads up display is usable ,but seems overcrowded. ( wish for a button to turn it off ) 2 other minor things The camera work on the flight model doesnt seem as smooth as in WOFF UE looks more like the World of War game models. Lastly, The pilot seems too large for the A/c or the a/c is slighty out of scale ? ( The Hurri ) Anyway its a good useable game and happy to have it. However, WOFF UE is still the Jewel in OBD's Crown.

#4437578 - 09/06/18 11:14 PM Re: Wings Over The Reich Now Released! [Re: Polovski]  
Dark_Canuck Offline
Dark_Canuck  Offline

Canada
I think Cntr P toggels the cockpit open closed. Flap toggle is the F and V key.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.