Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#4436508 - 08/30/18 09:23 PM College Football !!!!!!!!!!  
piper Offline
Veteran
piper  Offline
Veteran

Raleigh,NC
It's back! And it's going to be a great season!!

Bama and Clemson are still the teams to beat, but it's college football and each game counts.

Go Bucks!

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4436511 - 08/30/18 09:36 PM Re: College Football !!!!!!!!!! [Re: piper]  
rwatson Offline
Hotshot
rwatson  Offline
Hotshot

New Concord, Ohio
Yep waiting on my Bucks !!!

Russ
Semper Fi
#4436526 - 08/30/18 11:02 PM Re: College Football !!!!!!!!!! [Re: piper]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Having lived through the post-Bear, pre-Saban years, one might think it's easy being a 'Bama fan.

Truth is that the entire coaching staff, less Saban, has been replaced (okay, so we kept the same conditioning coach and the nutritionist), and the defense is once again brand new, as is most of the offense.

Add in that no doubt we've recruited our kicker from St. Mary's School For The Uncoordinated, it's always a nail biter going into the season.

I do have a question about how they determine strength of schedule. Apparently Alabama has this huge cake walk, but Auburn doesn't - it seems they play Texas A&M, Mississippi State, and a rejuvenated Tennessee. That Alabama plays these exact same teams somehow doesn't count. Yes, Auburn plays Alabama, but Alabama also plays Auburn.

I also don't understand the hype around Michigan and Shae Patterson. He's a solid QB, but he's no D. Watson or D. Prescott. And Michigan hasn't really been the powerhouse they're said to be.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#4436529 - 08/30/18 11:27 PM Re: College Football !!!!!!!!!! [Re: piper]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
What are all those "stars" GPA? What are they studying? Is there a real (besides the NFL or "collection/enforcer") career path for any of these college "stars".

I am 67 and have a 3.2 GPA in college. I had a sad 2.5 GPA when I restarted or it would be higher...plus serious morale problems due to incompetent/malevolent school administrators.

Nope, I cannot run real fast anymore and would never even walk into a Gucci store. BUT, I did pay taxes for over FIFTY years. Too bad my college financial assistance package is a joke compared to what a functional illiterate 300lb whole plugger gets.

Sorry, couldn't resist because college football is pretty much a free minor league system for the NFL and, I am ignoring that organization until they figure out if they are a sports/entertainment group or, a political action entity.

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4436532 - 08/30/18 11:41 PM Re: College Football !!!!!!!!!! [Re: piper]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
They're getting surprisingly relevant degrees, such as Sports Management and Communications. No, they're not hard science guys, but few college students are. Yep, there are some folks at some colleges getting a degree in Football (or leaving for the pros before they get one), but it's the exception rather than the rule.

The days when we'd snicker over a jock getting a degree in basket weaving are long gone....those classes are already full from regular students demanding them.

Considering that sports actually bring money into the college rather than cause an expenditure, it's a good deal for everyone.

The college gains exposure and money to fund not just athletics, but a bunch of other things, too. When a college does well in sports, enrollment by non-athletes goes up.

The student who plays gets a chance at a solid education and a dual threat career path. Either through their degree or to the NFL.

I absolutely despised football in High School, as it was indeed a cost expenditure and a vanity project at my small school, and the coaches instilled an attitude of entitlement to their players (which wasn't entirely unjustified). At the college level, though, it's different.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#4436536 - 08/31/18 12:04 AM Re: College Football !!!!!!!!!! [Re: piper]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
There is no explaining the hype of Michigan. It just happens every year. The local media here makes you nauseous with it. It is as predictable as the changing of the colors of the autumn leafs. They actually have a fairly tough schedule this year (how the heck that was allowed to happen is beyond me), so I don't expect them to be too successful.

Last edited by LB4LB; 08/31/18 12:04 AM.
#4436538 - 08/31/18 12:15 AM Re: College Football !!!!!!!!!! [Re: piper]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Sorry Dart, they still graduate more than few functional illiterates.

World's best Dream job today?

A black Sports Agent with "cred"...and college connections.

If my little sad excuse for a college is an indicator, I have no doubt that LOTS of that "sports money" is fed to the "Elite Administrators" at those big "sports" colleges, Of course, enough is spent supporting gender bending 101, the history of Eunuch's rights, and the undeniable logic of female superiority classes to keep the proletariat quiet.

AND, yeah... No doubt most future theoretical physicists, practical electronic engineers and, all those silly science and math folks (who we need BADLY) go flocking to BAMA et al for the sports programs.

Seriously?

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4436545 - 08/31/18 01:15 AM Re: College Football !!!!!!!!!! [Re: Nixer]  
piper Offline
Veteran
piper  Offline
Veteran

Raleigh,NC
I hear ya Nixer - search on my thread about Ohio State cover up of there coach. Money rules.....
And I have kids that went and are going to college who can't get jack because of my color and that I have a job...

But...

It's college football!

Number one - football is a great sport. Involves strategy, teamwork, physical strength (describes the NFL).
College football takes that a step further and involves school pride and emotion. Bring it on!

Watching a Big10 game right now. Which is strange they usually have a 3 game pre-season before conference
games begin.

My prediction for the Buckeye's: 10-2

#4436546 - 08/31/18 01:16 AM Re: College Football !!!!!!!!!! [Re: Nixer]  
Blade_Meister Offline
Blade_Meister  Offline

Atlanta, GA, USA
Originally Posted by Nixer
the NFL and, I am ignoring that organization until they figure out if they are a sports/entertainment group or, a political action entity.

+1000 I saw two taking a knee before a pre season game and that is it for me, I won't watch 1 NFL game this season. I watched maybe 2 last year after the kneeling disrespect and swore them off. The disrespect shown our Police Officers, our Military Personnel and our Flag is a disgrace.
I just sort of hate that the first game of the year in College football is a tune up against a no name college. They should each jump right in with a rival game that would really put them to the test. Week one is a waste to me.

Sorry, On Topic, Go Dawgs! Ranked # 4 and soon to be #1

S!Blade<><

Last edited by Blade_Meister; 08/31/18 01:18 AM.
#4436559 - 08/31/18 04:07 AM Re: College Football !!!!!!!!!! [Re: piper]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Actually, in the case of Alabama, quite a bit of that money finds it's way to UA-Huntsville (engineering) and UA-Birmingham (medical).

Weirdly enough, students selecting colleges actually take sports into account, regardless of academic interest. It doesn't make any sense to me, either, but the statistics don't lie about it.

At any rate, perhaps a topic in the PWEC about the value of college athletics would be better than in this thread?

I'd like to wish UGA a modicum of luck, after all, as well as Auburn. Not too much, mind you.

And to Washington as well. Unlike the B1G, when they make it to the Nationals they can actually score points. wink

[edit]. I'm with Saban in that they need to reduce the Division II scheduling to just one game a season and have more out of conference Division I games.

Last edited by Dart; 08/31/18 04:09 AM.

From Laser:
#4436576 - 08/31/18 12:49 PM Re: College Football !!!!!!!!!! [Re: piper]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Good points Dart as always.

Censored

Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4436593 - 08/31/18 04:08 PM Re: College Football !!!!!!!!!! [Re: piper]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
I was a bit concerned about tomorrow...then I read that Louisville players have been trash talking Alabama.

That always works out well for the other team. smile

Bring on the WE WANT BAMA signs!

And last minute package deliveries to SEC teams:

From Laser:
#4436598 - 08/31/18 04:44 PM Re: College Football !!!!!!!!!! [Re: piper]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
I some stat yesterday about how long it has been since Bama lost an opener to an unranked team (can't remember, but it has been a long time). Could be they are due ???? biggrin

Watching my Spartans tonight. Now they have been known to have some real clunker openers, but I fell good about them this year.

#4436603 - 08/31/18 05:21 PM Re: College Football !!!!!!!!!! [Re: piper]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
I'm not a huge fan of college football by any means but I still like it when the University of Miami Hurricanes win. Hopefully this will be a good season.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4436652 - 09/01/18 12:10 AM Re: College Football !!!!!!!!!! [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Blade_Meister Offline
Blade_Meister  Offline

Atlanta, GA, USA
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
I'm not a huge fan of college football by any means but I still like it when the University of Miami Hurricanes win. Hopefully this will be a good season.

BOOOOOOOO BOOOOOOOO Hissss Hissssss! Ex Georgia Head Coach alert.

Go Dawgs!!!

Actually I am just kidding, I always liked and had a lot of respect for Coach Mark Richt. I hope he does well at Miami this year.... errrr just not as good as Georgia, but good.

S!Blade<><

#4436655 - 09/01/18 12:20 AM Re: College Football !!!!!!!!!! [Re: Dart]  
Blade_Meister Offline
Blade_Meister  Offline

Atlanta, GA, USA
Originally Posted by Dart

I'd like to wish UGA a modicum of luck, after all, as well as Auburn. Not too much, mind you.

And to Washington as well. Unlike the B1G, when they make it to the Nationals they can actually score points. wink

Don't be Smugg Dart. Nobody likes a Smug Alabamian! Nobody. It is a new season, Alabama is o-o just like everybody else. rofl

S!Blade<><

#4436662 - 09/01/18 02:09 AM Re: College Football !!!!!!!!!! [Re: Blade_Meister]  
piper Offline
Veteran
piper  Offline
Veteran

Raleigh,NC
This is why I love college football....

And you learn new words - Alabamian. Had no clue..

Michigan State: Was almost going to 9-3 record because of them. Now, 10-2 sounds good.

Go Bucks!

#4436674 - 09/01/18 03:48 AM Re: College Football !!!!!!!!!! [Re: piper]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
Once again, Coach D. didn't have the Spartans ready to start the season.

GO B1G !!!

#4436683 - 09/01/18 08:10 AM Re: College Football !!!!!!!!!! [Re: piper]  
rwatson Offline
Hotshot
rwatson  Offline
Hotshot

New Concord, Ohio
Yep LB as long as that Team up north's -2 is to the Bucks

Russ
Semper Fi
#4436684 - 09/01/18 08:12 AM Re: College Football !!!!!!!!!! [Re: piper]  
rwatson Offline
Hotshot
rwatson  Offline
Hotshot

New Concord, Ohio
Yep Piper as long as that Team up and may the north's -2 is to the Bucks

Russ
Semper Fi
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.