Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4435811 - 08/25/18 10:03 PM Complete Newbie to Helo Sims Asking for Advice  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

I've modded a number of old straight-wing flight sims, and am considering branching out to helo sims.

I know flying a helo is considerably different from a fixed-wing aircraft. If it matters, I have the ability to use two joysticks; I've done so in "Kerbal Space Program"

So, with a considerable learning curve anticipated, what are the best Helo flight sims currently available?

As I said, I'm not averse to resurrecting an older Helo sim, if it's really great, nor am I stranger to hunting down Mods for older games.

Really, though, I'd just as soon skip that, if possible.

IIRC. I have EE:: Apache/ vs Havoc on OEM disk, and via Gog, EE: Comanche vs. Hokum. Haven't played them yet, though. I've heard that some Jane's versions of Helo sims are pretty good. If so, which one? I'm quite confused as to which version of the "Longbow" series to select.

I guess, I'm asking you all to point me in the direction of the best, currently available helo sim. Or, if none, then the best old one, maybe with links to mods and so forth.

Maybe the ones I already have are close to being tops; I dunno.

I look forward to your advice, and thanks in advance!

Last edited by RIBob; 08/26/18 01:53 PM.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4435942 - 08/27/18 12:43 AM Re: Complete Newbie to Helo Sims Asking for Advice [Re: RIBob]  
rwatson Offline
Hotshot
rwatson  Offline
Hotshot

New Concord, Ohio
I like Gunship ! Longbow 2 is OK but rough to set up Up top of this forum there's a link for vista but do a search an there's more around in this forum Look at the forms down below here EECH/EEAH is a pretty good fairly modern sim..I tried it but too much for an old fart to learn and just mess with Gunship!

Russ
Semper Fi
#4437704 - 09/07/18 09:46 PM Re: Complete Newbie to Helo Sims Asking for Advice [Re: RIBob]  
Javelin Offline
Javelin  Offline

Idaho Falls, Idaho USA
Interested in Modding, I see. We have the source code for Enemy Engaged - Comanche vs Hokum available here on SimHQ, I've been modding it recently. It's probably the newest helicopter sim available where you can get at the source code. It has a following similar to Falcon-4 since the engine includes dynamic campaigns, an ever evolving battlefield. Take a look in the EECH / EEAH Forum and go to the link in the header to get to the eechcentral Modding downloads. ( http://eechcentral.simhq.com/ ) There are 9 fully modeled helos for you to fly into combat. The base game is about $5.99 on GoG Games, the mods are free. This is a sim, not an arcade game, so expect it to take some time to learn the systems on your helos. I just added in working Altitude Hold and Hover Hold functions, so the helos are much easier to fly now, you can skim the treetops with ease. You will find the Hover mods download in the forum. Get the Mi-28 Gauges mod from the forum as well so the Havoc cockpit gauges work.

If you don't mind only one or two helicopters, DCS World has the best graphics. It has the Russian Ka-50 Blackshark, the Huey, the Gazelle, and maybe one other helo available. You pay for each additional module in the sim. These helos are extensively modeled, every button and switch on the console is live. There is a mode where you can simply jump into a running helo and take off, so you don't have to use a start up checklist every time. DCS World is a more expensive route, but definitely worth a look. I just checked and they have a Helicopter 4-Pack available until Sept 30th 2018 for $70.

Last edited by Javelin; 09/07/18 10:10 PM.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.