Squardon Commander
Cyril Woolly, DFC., DSO
Maj , Rfc,
20 Victories
1 Rfc Sqn
Fienvillers, AF
Flanders, France.

Aug 16, 1918.

A bit Browned Off today. Arrive at the Field just as the morning Patrol returned. Cpt Hoidge ( 27 Kills ) The Sqn's Flight Commander said that they had been Hammering the Huns ,but lost 3 a/c while I was out. I took the afternoon Patrol. Our 9 a/c spotted some Fokkers and Camels doing a punch out so we went to help. I only saw 1 Camel go down, a flamer, then latched on to a Fokker. I did most of the work then eased up to reload the Lewis ( the Vickers jammed after 48 rds. ) My new wingman opened fire at long range and the Hun burst into Flames puking out thick black smoke and spun in. Lt. Knight got the kill. It was the flights only kill no losses or damage reported. As the Americans say I was Robbed !

Attached Files CFS3 2018-08-16 11-54-34-05.jpgCFS3 2018-08-16 11-55-44-47.jpgCFS3 2018-08-16 11-56-09-84.jpg
Last edited by carrick58; 08/16/18 07:23 PM.
#4434509 - 08/16/18 10:56 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: Dark_Canuck]  
jerbear Online content
jerbear  Online Content

Good story Wulfe, exciting 1st campaign mission. Contrats on your Hun but save some for the rest of us.

2nd Lt. John B. Goode
147th Aero Squadron, USAS

Friday, August 16th 1918

Very hot today, took my new SPAD for a test flight and almost roasted to death in it. It’s certainly different from a Nieuport., much heavier and not as responsive, you can't handle it with the light touch I got used to flying Babygirl.

The Nieuport's actually a much harder machine to fly, but having become accustomed to flying one, it seems more difficult to fly this SPAD. You have a lot more things to look out after. The Nieuport’s air cooled motor runs at top speed all the time unless you use the selector to cut out one or more cylinder or the blip switch. There are no throttle adjustments and the only instruments you have to bother with are the rev counter, compass, altimeter, clock and gas & oil gauges. On the SPAD, with it’s water cooled motor, you have, in addition to these instruments, a thermometer which you have to monitor closely to make sure your motor isn’t getting too hot, a shutter arrangement for the radiator, which you open to keep the motor at the right temperature, an air pressure gauge and another for your oil and so many other things that you don’t know where to look because it all seems to require your attention at the same time.

I have to say tho, that the throttle should make it easier to fly in formation than with the Nieuport.

I’m sure I’ll get used to it and maybe even like it but it’ll be a long time before I’m as comfortable as I was in Babygirl and I don’t feel like I’m a part of the plane, flying with an old friend, intimate.

The office is larger from side to side, but not as long from front to back and there is a firewall between you and the engine. The exhausts pass by the cockpit on both sides and you roast unless you are at high altitude. You have more protection from the rush of air from the prop and it's not nearly as noisy as my dear old Nieuport.

I don't like that wider lower plane which increases the blind area.

We all feel that the Nieuports are directly responsible for our recent combat successes. The Nieuport 28 suits our style of dog fighting, staying until the fight'ss over, rather than the game of “shoot and dive for home” style thats so popular among SPAD pilots. I guess you could say the Nieuport.is like a barn swallow while the SPAD like a hawk. I miss my barn swallow.

#4434532 - 08/17/18 01:41 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
A real treat to return from holidays to find Maeran back in the campaign. Some frightening moments with igniting SEs there! And the story of Tipton was very interesting!

Jerbear, I have read Goode's stories too quickly and need to go back and savour them. First rate stuff, and very true to the period. I hope you adjust to the SPAD. I've never flown the SPAD 13, but I think it's an acquired taste. A good machine to survive in, though! Carrick, great job keeping these pages full. Hope you can get your man through to the end.

In the latest installment, I have begun the big job of catching up with the campaign. I didn't want to skip dates during the German offensive. Corderoy has finally reached 60 victories despite my horrendous ratio of claims to confirmed kills. Also, for only the second time in WOFF, I've reached 200 hours with a pilot. Corderoy now has flown 238 missions and 201 hours.

Diary of Maj. Geoffrey Corderoy, 43 Squadron RFC
Part 63: 28-31 March 1918 – Avesnes-le-Compte

28 March 1918

The Huns delivered a new parcel of hate at four this morning, a massive barrage that signalled a push on the Arras sector. We put up twelve patrols this day. I led a composite flight shortly after nine in the morning, with the unusual job of flying west towards our fields at Le Quesnoy-en-Artois and Auxi-le-Chateau, most of the way to Abbeville! For the past two days, enemy aircraft have been unusually audacious, patrolling in large numbers by day into our rear areas.

We arrived over Auxi at 8000 feet in two staggered vees of four machines each. I was lead man in the first group and Woollett led the second, higher group. Archie alerted us to the presence of Huns over the aerodrome there and we climbed to put the sun at our backs. Even from a long way off we could recognise the biplane tails of three Hannovers.

Before we got to the enemy bombers, Woollett’s group turned south and climbed away. There, above us in the sun, was a large group of Pfalz scouts, silver with black tails. They outnumbered Woollett, so we left the Hannovers and joined in the dance.

The Pfalzes were well-handled and made of stout stuff, for only one broke off. For several minutes I had two of the fellows on my tail. At length Bailey drove one of them away and I turned under the remaining Hun, eventually catching him in a turn with a good burst. The rounds did damage, for the machine no longer seemed as nimble and I was able to close on the Hun. I fired a couple of bursts and the EA caught fire and fell away.

[Linked Image]
"I fired a couple of bursts and the EA caught fire and fell away."

We chased some remaining Pfalzes and Hannovers but our Camels were no match for their speed, especially as they climbed. The Pfalz was called into the RO before we landed back at Avesnes, and has gone down as my 59th victory.

In the afternoon I joined Woollett’s flight for a patrol to provide cover for an RE8 taking photographs east of Oppy. We mixed with several Pfalzes once again, and Alden sent one down out of control.

Owen went missing on a balloon attack this afternoon and is believed to be a POW. We have also lost Captain Trollope, one of our best Hun-getters (it was he who bagged seven in a day just last week).

Wonderful long letter from my uncle Tom. It is lambing season back home and Eliza, a ewe I raised since birth, has given birth to four little lambs. This quite unsettled me, as it was the first time in months I have allowed myself to indulge dreams of England and peace. Oh, how I hate the Hun for tramping into France and Belgium with their big muddy boots. The poor people here should be planting their crops and raising their livestock and flirting in church, and instead their countryside has been turned into a sodden dung heap and their women are all in black. Such a rotten state of affairs! We humans are an evil lot.

29 March 1918

Uneventful patrol five miles into Hunland. Saw a very large group of EAs overhead but they were either blind or no bon, for they ignored us.

Late afternoon patrols often meet up with the keenest Huns, and mine this afternoon was no exception. I took another C.O.P. over to Mont-St-Eloi and we ran into a massive group of Tripehounds shooting up our gun lines. We engaged and every single Hun threw himself at us. It was a truly frightening affair, all done at low level amidst strands of tracer weaving up from the PBI below. I saw a Camel and a Tripe collide and fall in a tangled, flaming ball – I learned afterwards it was poor Alden. The Huns looked like sections of venetian blinds as they turned towards us, spitting fire. And God, can they climb!

I hit one Fokker in a head-on pass and quickly got on its tail. It took about 50 more rounds to put it down into a field full of advancing Hun soldiery, where it shattered and burned and doubtless caused some injuries to the infantry it fell on. This is number 60 – a real milestone.

30 March 1918

In two days the Royal Flying Corps will pass into history, replaced by the new Air Force. Each day’s routine orders contain new instructions. We shall be somewhat navalised, with left becoming “port” and right “starboard,” and the naval types will have to toast the King standing. It warms the heart to know that such matters are receiving their due attention despite the continuing penetration of our front by a hundred fresh German divisions.

Joined King’s flight to attack the aerodrome at Phalempin this morning and destroyed a number of buildings and some machines.

In the afternoon, we attacked the Hun balloon lines east of Vimy. Daniel got credit for a balloon.

31 March 1918

We returned to the balloon lines this morning and got one more gasbag, this one credited to Lieut Meyer, a new man.

The weather turned foul in the afternoon, a gift from the fates. Our pilots and ground crews are barely holding themselves together, and several of the chaps are visibly close to their limit. Every man has his point of no return. Some simply fall apart. Some withdraw into themselves, patiently awaiting death. Yet others take risks and do foolish things they would in the past rail against.

It is all the low work we have been given of late.

Attached Files Kill #59.jpg
#4434631 - 08/17/18 09:51 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Wulfe Offline
Wulfe  Offline

Thanks, Jerbear! Glad you enjoyed the write-up! I'm a couple days behind, but I can catch up on my days off wink

Sgt. Albert Mayes
No. 3 Squadron R.A.F,
1 victory.

August 15th, 1918:

'B' flight was assigned to two patrols today. One on our side at dawn, and a second in Hunland at mid-day. As my Camel was still undergoing repairs, I went up in a Vickers-built spare. I must admit, it felt nicer in the air than my own Bolton & Paul Camel. Our first patrol was uneventful, and I was able to enjoy the sunrise over the beautiful French countryside. It almost felt like there was no war on, so long as you neglected to look East. However, my morning was spoiled when, upon my landing, I was informed by Maj. McClintock that my D.F.W claim from yesterday had been rejected. Perhaps the hun had managed to pull out of his death-dive after all.

Our second sortie swiftly reminded me that the war was still on. 'A' flight, consisting of five pilots, took off just before us and headed towards Amiens, which was our destination also. Once they had cleared the aerodrome, we ascended and climbed to 10,000 feet before following 'A' flight's trail. At one point we passed by six S.E.5s...how deadly they looked, and so fast! I hope I will have a chance to pilot one in the future. As we flew over Amiens, I suddenly spotted a mess of twisting and looping planes ahead of us...a furball! I couldn't make out who was involved at first, but as we got closer my stomach turned as I realised it was 'A' flight locked in combat with several Fokkers. As I watched, an orange glow consumed one aeroplane and it begun to fall to earth, leaving a thick black trail of smoke in its wake. We turned to rush to 'A' flight's aid, fearing for our comrades' lives.

Just as we reached the fight, one hun machine with a red nose and a green tail* flashed underneath us, apparently making good his escape from the furball. I rolled my Camel on its back and fell upon him, guns blazing. He ducked under my wings and immediately disappeared. When next I saw him, he had gotten squarely on my six, guns blazing! I instinctively banked away and we got into a prolonged dogfight. Most of the time I couldn't see my man, owing to the large wings of the Camel, and several times I caught a glimpse of him lining up a shot on me, but eventually I put a burst into him as he flashed in front of my Vickers. Again, he ducked under my wings, and that was the last I saw of him.

As I attempted to climb back up into the fray (I was quite low by this point) a second Fokker now fell upon me. This machine too had a red nose, and at first I thought it to be the same hun from before, but as we circled each other I could see that this German had painted his whole fuselage green, with a wavy yellow line running down its side*. After two turns I was behind him, and I stuck close to his tail. I fired several bursts at him and eventually got him good, at which point his engine begun to trail a thin line of black smoke. He briefly flashed out of my sights, but I saw him again running for Hunland at about 2000 feet, so I dove on him and got very close before pressing down on the trigger, at which point he went into a nosedive before smashing into a thousand pieces on the ground, just short of his lines. I was now very low, and totally alone, so I headed for home. Upon my arrival, my fellow 'B' flight pilots had all returned. As I stepped into the mess hall they all fell silent and turned as white as sheets, for Lt. Sigismund and Cpt. Hubbard had both been certain that they had seen me go down in flames.I later learned that the furball had turned into a massacre for 'A' flight. Of the five pilots that had taken off three had been wounded, and two had been killed (including the squadron's only Canadian, a bright young fellow named Edwards, and one of only two pilots in the Squadron to have downed a hun). Both pilots killed had flown less than 10 hours.

In the evening, a telephone call came from an Infantry Captain, informing Maj. McClintock that the wreckage of a Fokker matching my description had been found in the area I had reported it falling in, and so I scored my first confirmed victory. However, after learning of Edwards' and Black's fate, I couldn't find the heart to celebrate.

*:
1) Possibly Ltn. Otto Schmidt, Jasta 5.

2) Ltn. Freidrich Vollbracht, Jasta 5.

Last edited by Wulfe; 08/18/18 12:25 AM.
#4434634 - 08/17/18 10:51 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: Wulfe]  
jerbear Online content
jerbear  Online Content

Excellent stories all

Carrick - evidently that's what WOFF wingmen are for, stealing your kills.

Welcome back Raine, congrats on Geoffrey's 60th and 238 missions, quite a feat.

Wolfe - Congrats to Sgt Mayes on his first confirmed WOFF victory.

2nd Lt. John B. Goode

Saturday, August 17th 1918

Took the SPAD up for more familiarization and a gunnery flight. Having problems with the new sights. Either my Vickers are out of alignment or I am. Got up to 10,000 feet to try some piques, took it easy the first couple of tries until I got up enough gumption to let her drop straight down. My God this thing can take some stress! Thought I was going to pass out. The real test came when I pulled out of the dive and my wings didn’t come off, started to black out after that too.

Cut the throttle down to idle to practice gliding. Nothing like floating along in Babygirl. This heavy thing starts to drop immediately. Going to be a devil of a thing to make an emergency landing in.

#4434643 - 08/18/18 02:03 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Great stories and pics everyone.

#4434644 - 08/18/18 02:08 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Squardon Commander
Cyril Woolly, DFC., DSO
Maj , Rfc,
20 Victories
1 Rfc Sqn
Fienvillers, AF
Flanders, France.

Aug 17,1918.

I took the Sqn up on morning Patrol and we mixed it up with some Recon types. We were turning for home, when under the Overcast 2 Hannover Types popped into view. I was out of Position so followed in the rear Guard position as B flight Knocked down both A/c near Albert and Our side of the lines. We now have 12 pilots on the Board with Kills.

Attached Files CFS3 2018-08-17 18-53-43-54.jpgCFS3 2018-08-17 18-53-59-59.jpg
#4434650 - 08/18/18 03:32 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Wulfe Offline
Wulfe  Offline

Good to see Maj. Woolly feeling better and sticking it to the hun again! Also, I wish Mr. Goode all the best in the SPAD S.XIII!

Sgt. Albert Mayes, MC
No. 3 Squadron R.A.F,
2 Victories.

August 16th, 1918.

'B' flight was assigned to a patrol of allied lines. The more experienced airmen among us were very pleased with this, as it meant that there was little chance of seeing any hun machines. Our patrol altitude was 17,000 feet, and was onl about 8 minutes North of Valheureux. On the way to our target, we saw 'A' flight returning from their line patrol. One machine looked to be trailing fuel, but at the time I didn't think much of it.

We reached the patrol area, and had flown back and forth for about twenty minutes when I suddenly saw Archie puffs far below us. I squinted and stared down, and suddenly six Fokkers made themselves apparent to me, flying along bold as brass. I tried to alert Cpt. Smuts, our flight leader, but he merely irritatedly waved me back into formation. It was then that I decided to do something incredibly stupid.

I broke formation in order to stalk the huns from above. I followed them back South, as far as Doullens. When they flew over the city, quite low now, out of nowhere a torrent of Archie went up at them, and their formation was scattered. Now was my chance! I dropped down closer to the huns, searching for a target. I noticed that all the machines had red noses. Was this the same squadron from yesterday? Just as I had chosen my target, I looked behind me and got the scare of my life when I saw a Fokker right behind me, climbing up to shoot me in the back! I immediately rolled over and we got into it, spiralling down into the Archie cloud. I danced with the hun in what felt like an ocean of artillery, which was very off-putting. To make matters worse, the German pilot was very good, and was soon behind me. I dodged Archie fire and Spandau fire alike, beginning to feel panic rise in my throat. I pushed my nose down as I turned, and suddenly my opponent straightened out, as if he had lost sight of me. I took my chance and stood my Camel on its tail, firing directly up at the Fokker and putting several holes in its wings, at which point he dove steeply for the ground. I followed, much to his surprise, and pressed my attack, putting bullet after bullet into the red-nosed Fokker until I had shot away several of his control surfaces.

The hun wobbled about the sky like a merry drunkard before finally wallowing over and impacting with the ground nose-first. To my disgust, the Archie gunners fired another few shells at the wrecked Fokker. I decided to make good my escape before the rest of the huns came back looking for their missing friend. Upon arriving back at the aerodrome, I entered the mess hall and found several 'A' flight pilots, who had told me about running into a flight of Fokkers earlier in the day. Regrettably, another young rookie, Sgt. Powell, had been killed in the short fight just before 'A' flight had turned tail.

I had spoken to Powell a few times. He was an incredibly nervous fellow, and was most days terrified before going up. Hopefully the hun that got him is the same one that I had shot down.

August 17th, 1918.

It is still only the morning, and I am yet to fly my first sortie of the day. However, I was very pleased when, being summoned to Maj. McClintock's office very early in the morning, I was presented with a Military Cross! In the evening there will be a formal ceremony, in which I will officially receive the award. It turns out that the hun I had downed over Doullens yesterday was an ace of 9 victories*. Upon learning this, I asked to be driven out by a Corporal in order to collect the wrecked Fokker's rudder, which is now currently residing on the wall of the mess hall. Although I have had a fortuitous start to my war, I hope today is considerably more quiet.

1) Eberhard Mohnicke, Jasta 11.

#4434670 - 08/18/18 11:34 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
Wulfe, great work here! I'm so pleased to see you joint the campaign and hope your man makes it to the end!

#4434734 - 08/18/18 03:42 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Wulfe Offline
Wulfe  Offline

Thanks for the warm welcome, Raine! I hope so too, but the hun might have something to say about it!

Sgt. Albert Mayes, MC
No. 3 Squadron R.A.F,
2 Victories.

August 17th, 1918.

'B' flight has been assigned to patrol behind enemy lines. So much for having a quiet day. As per usual, 'A' flight went ahead of us towards the target area, and we didn't see them again until we arrived at Albert, where we could see them surrounded by Archy. Upon our arrival they turned West and headed for home, handing us the Archy as they left.
A few moments later, I looked up to see two or three Fokkers circling overhead, deliberating about what to do with us. Suddenly the three became six, all circling over us like vultures*. Our formations cautiously circled one another for a few moments, and then they fell upon us.

I quickly got behind one hun with a green-and-white striped upper wing. With me was Cpt. Hughes, and we quickly drove him down and out of the fight. Circling back, I tried to single out one Fokker in the mess of aeroplanes. After circling for about 30 seconds, another striped-wing Fokker made a sudden reappearance to my left, and fired a stream of bullets across me. Thankfully he missed, and Cpt. Hughes was quickly behind him, with me trailing. I think he must have been wounded, for he straightened out and sat perfectly still for me as I lined up my shot. At close range I saw my tracer bullets flying into his back, and he slumped forwards before going into a dive*. I admit, I felt awful about this later. As strange as it sounds, it is easy to forget that men occupy these machines as you chase their tails. By this point the fight had become a scattered mess of individuals, some looking for their next target, some looking for their leaders and some simply trying to get back home. I spotted Cpt. Hubbard flying along and formed up with him, before spotting a Camel shooting up a Fokker to my right. It was Cpt. Hughes, still giving the huns the good stuff!

Hughes disappeared below my wing, still after his Fokker, when suddenly a stream of bullets impacted my machine. I wildly swung into a left-hand turn, and as I did so I caught a glimpse of a silver machine with a sharply pointed nose and diagonally-cut wings*. I later found out that this machine was a 'Pfalz', an outdated hun aeroplane. Within two turns I was behind him, and I put a speculative burst through his planes, causing him to dive away. I quickly realised now that I coudn't see any Camels, only Fokkers and Pfalzes, and the Archy was hammering away at me with a newly-found vigour, so I decided to make for home.

1) Probably Jasta 44s.
2) Possibly from Jasta 46.

1) Unfortunately the game crashed as I finished the mission, and I didn't get a chance to put in a claim for my Fokker. I think I would have gotten him too!

Last edited by Wulfe; 08/18/18 04:36 PM.
#4434770 - 08/18/18 07:12 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: Wulfe]  
jerbear Online content
jerbear  Online Content

Sorry about your Hun Wulfe - happens sometimes but don't let it put you off, frustrating I know. Balloons are problematic for claims sometimes too, I think they fixed some of it but I haven't had one to claim for awhile so I don't know.

2nd Lt. John B. Goode
147th Aero Squadron

Sunday, August 18th 1918

Practice patrol, well behind our lines over our old stomping ground, Dormans and Chateau-T. Pip Porter crashed his brand new SPAD, under-shot the touchdown area when his motor conked, ruts stripped out his undercarriage and he turned turtle. Not badly hurt tho. Cuts around his mouth and jaw.

SPADS giving us every conceivable trouble, from broken oil pipes, to motors on some that the ground crew have never been able to start since they arrived. Makes you wonder how they got here.

Rick left for Paris to have another operation, I don’t think he’s coming back, but I didn’t think so before. He’s a tough S@B.

Attached Files z no 16.jpg
Last edited by jerbear; 08/18/18 11:48 PM.
#4434791 - 08/19/18 12:26 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Wulfe Offline
Wulfe  Offline

No worries, I bet it's not the first time a hun's gone down on their side and not been credited wink

Sgt. Albert Mayes, MC
No. 3 Squadron R.A.F,
2 Victories.

August 18th, 1918:

Today we were sent into Hunland to knock down a kite balloon. We crossed the lines after climbing to 15,000 feet. As we approached, 'A' flight made their usual appearance ahead of us, being shelled by Archie. We flew over to join them, and started scanning for the balloon. At one point I saw a formation of 10 huns coming our way, but they seemed to have a change of heart and turned for home. Cpt. Hughes did away with the balloon and we turned back West.

For our second sortie of the day, we were to escort an R.E.8 from No. 52 as it flew a recce. Nine of us went up - the R.E. must have been after some important photographs! The weather had soured considerably by the time we went up, with dark clouds hanging low over the countryside. We picked up the R.E. over Doullens, and headed East. As we flew down the R.E's reconnaissance route, we could see 'A' flight being pummelled again by Archie. Upon our return I suggested that perhaps they should be known as 'Archie' flight. From that point on, the name seemed to stick.

I remember thinking afterwards about how remarkably fast the R.E. had gotten his photographs and turned back. I was grateful, as we never enjoyed being in Hunland for too long. The R.E. was marked with a number 7 on his top wing - I hope we get "Number 7" again the next time we are flying escort.

Last edited by Wulfe; 08/19/18 12:29 AM.
#4434801 - 08/19/18 02:56 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Squardon Commander
Cyril Woolly, DFC., DSO
Maj , Rfc,
20 Victories
1 Rfc Sqn
Fienvillers, AF
Flanders, France.

Aug 18, 1918.

Hq ordered another show the flag flight over Oppy. I hate these flights someone will get the chop for sure. I took 9 a/c in 2 flights and off we went looking for huns. Find the blokes we did. a Jasta of Vee Strutters. Must have been 12 or more of them. We punched into them causing some to scatter then it was individual fights I helped keep the huns off the tails of some of my flight, But there was so many. Finally, the sky was clear and we reformed for the RTB. Missing 3 SE's The flight did claim 4 e/a.

Attached Files CFS3 2018-08-18 19-36-04-83.jpg
#4434886 - 08/19/18 05:49 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: carrick58]  
jerbear Online content
jerbear  Online Content

DISCLAIMER: To Raine and others who have either been offended by or confused by my descriptions of the SPAD XIII. The SPAD XIII in WOFF gameplay has mechanical problems just like any other aircraft model in the game but it is an excellent aircraft to fly in the game. The comments about the real world problems the USAS faced with their SPADs are John Goode's opinions, based on what is found in the journals and letters of his contemporaries, not my own experiences in gameplay. Most of the breakdowns of John's SPAD are contrived for the sake of the story, not game model issues. And as Raine wrote, it is "A good machine to survive in."

2nd Lt. John B. Goode

Monday, August 19th

Another practice patrol. Half of us had to drop out almost immediately for one reason or another. My machine started to vibrate so much that I thought it would go to pieces and the engine started missing. Black said it was the reduction gear housing. I probably got a nick in the prop from flying gravel. This threw the gear out of line. The vibration loosened just about every nut, bolt and plumbing connection on the crate. He’s going to replace and modify the housing and maybe that'll keep the thing from falling apart under me. Crate will be down for a few days.

Davy rounded some of the of us up and we went into Paris for the evening. We got several rooms but Davy’s was our resort. Five different WWs(1) dragged in and fooled around awhile. Oh the sin in the world!

WW– Wild Women – slang term for prostitutes and showgirls.

Attached Files z flying 16.jpg
Last edited by jerbear; 08/19/18 06:08 PM.
#4434897 - 08/19/18 06:49 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Squardon Commander
Cyril Woolly, DFC., DSO
Maj , Rfc,
20 Victories
1 Rfc Sqn
Fienvillers, AF
Flanders, France.

Aug 19, 1918

Another Show the Flag Patrol over Bapaume. I had the Flight Commander take the covering flight of 4 a/c while I led with 5 a/c. Hq had us going under Patrols at 8000ft. we ran into 3 Rumplers + Escort of 5 Fokkers. Our cover caught the rumplers and knocked 1 down as the escort turned we got into range and the fight was on down to the deck. I damaged 2 , I think ,but no kills. The Flight claimed 3 Fokkers and the 2 seat. TT 4 destroyed for 3 damaged SE's.

Attached Files CFS3 2018-08-19 11-20-59-83.jpgCFS3 2018-08-19 11-21-34-96.jpgCFS3 2018-08-19 11-23-16-07.jpgCFS3 2018-08-19 11-25-57-47.jpg
#4434912 - 08/19/18 07:48 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Wulfe Offline
Wulfe  Offline

Sgt. Albert Mayes, MC
No. 3 Squadron R.A.F,
2 Victories.

August 19th, 1918:
(Part 1)

Edwards' replacement arrived this morning at about 6 A.M; a Scottish 2nd Lieutenant named Francis Wilkins. He had been in the war since 1916 (although he had only recently transferred into the R.A.F), and it looked like by this point his nerves were shot. He had gotten one hun before arriving at No. 3.
At 6:45 we were sent out to look for some huns who had apparently been seen by an artillery company south of Amiens. Upon arriving at the place, we spotted 'Archie' flight all pointing their noses up and 'prop-hanging', trying to shoot at a lone Fokker that was circling above them. I found the sight very amusing, as it looked to me like a cat that had been chased up a tree by a pack of dogs, and was refusing to come down! As the Fokker passed over our heads, I saw it was painted black with what looked like a white buck (or at some angles, a skull!) painted on its side*.

Suddenly the Fokker dove for his own lines at some speed, and two damned fool pilots, Lt. Maxted and Lt. Franklyn, gave chase. Maj. McClintock tried to reign in the eager pair in, to no avail. By this point they were already in Hunland! Reluctantly we crossed over to collect our would-be hotshots. We had gone quite deep into Hunland after several minutes flying, still with no sign of our two colleagues, and we had begun to get quite nervous.

All of a sudden, through a break in the clouds, I spotted an aeroplane going down in flames, falling out of a fight! I signalled my wingman and gunned my engine, diving into the fight. I quickly spotted the same black Fokker from before, hot on Maxted's heels. I dove in on him, my Vickers spitting fury, and he attempted to pull up into a vertical stalling manoeuvre. At this point I walked my tracers up the length of his fuselage, and he went into an inverted flat-spin before vanishing into the clouds.
I was now surrounded by several Fokkers, and with no Camels in sight I turned and ran for my own lines. On the way I caught a nasty hit from Archie, and my engine stopped just as I was crossing the mud. Luckily, I was able to safely land in a field just behind our lines. After a long wait, a car came to drive me back to Valheureux. My fellow pilots were quite releived to see me, as they had lost sight of me shortly into the fight. To my delight, everybody was accounted for, and Maxted even claimed that the burning aeroplane I had seen was his handiwork!

I put in a claim for my Fokker, citing Maxted as a witness. If I'm lucky, I may be awarded an 'out-of-control'.

1) Description matches the machine of Carl Degelow, Jasta 40 (30 Victories), however, based on the position of Jasta 40's aerodrome relative to the area of the combat this seems unlikely.

Last edited by Wulfe; 08/19/18 07:49 PM.
#4434937 - 08/19/18 11:32 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: Wulfe]  
jerbear Online content
jerbear  Online Content

Vzfw Bruno Wolff
Jasta 64w

April 15th 1918

On routine patrol behind our balloon lines our Kette was attacked by five French Nieuport 27s, one of which became my 5th Luftsieg and will earn me the Iron Cross 1st Class if I live to collect it.

Attached Files w aw.jpg
Last edited by jerbear; 08/19/18 11:32 PM.
#4434967 - 08/20/18 06:44 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Dark_Canuck Offline
Dark_Canuck  Offline

Canada
Major Collin Sitwell
22 Sqn RAF
26 Victories
20 August 2918

It seems someone up top like me. I was at 3 Sqn less than two months before I received my promotion to Major. It seems with the losses being taken and the tempo the Allied forces are trying to maintain, open spots are being filled quickly. For me it meant another transfer, this time to 22 Sqn. The absolute best news out of this whole thing is that I am back flying Brisfits. I couldn't be happier about this turn of events. The chaps at 22 Sqn are for the most part experienced and battle hardened, which means it is the end of my days playing wetnurse to a bunch of green pilots who are better at dying than flying.

It has been hard to find time to write with the combination of the launch of the offensives of 8 Aug and the monsterous piles of paperwork that must be completed and submitted. And once the paperwork is complete, there is travel back and forth to HQ for Orders Groups and meetings and every other thing that High Command can think of to keep me out of the cockpit and strapped to a desk.

It is not all pushing paper however. Just yesterday I got up on a nice 1.5 hour cruise over the lines to see what Jerry is up to in the vicinity of Cambrai. Our attacks have petered out for now and the boys were so successful in the initial stages that they outran their support and stalled on the German reinforcements. Rumour is that Haig is keen on resuming the attacks as soon as possible, so it is a mad scramble to shuffle things behind the lines for the next push. For us in 22 Sqn, it means recce after recce, punctuated with ground attacks on Hun reinforcements and railways.

Yesterday's recce was a grand success. No losses. No combat. Good intelligence gathered. We did see a flight of DVIIs pass about 6000 feet below us, highlighted against a cloud, but there was no benefit to going after them. You can almost feel it in the air that this is the march towards the end of the war. The fight hasn't gone out of Jerry, but the counter attacks against are gains were less than what we are used to and the momentum we are building seems to be growing every day.

It has been said before, but not for a long time. I think this war will be over by Christmas. My job now is to make sure the lads are around to see it.

Last edited by Dark_Canuck; 08/20/18 06:56 AM.
#4434983 - 08/20/18 09:50 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Dark_Canuck Offline
Dark_Canuck  Offline

Canada
Side note, has anyone else listened to the wonderful Blueprint for Armageddon Hardcore History Podcast series by Dan Carlin? I just finished listening through it (6 episodes at around 4 hours an episode) and I really enjoyed it. It covers the whole war, focusing on the western front, but touching on other spots as required. There is not much on the air war, and individual battles are not really the focus, but he takes the time to explore context and reasons for why important decisions are made.

I'd highly recommend it if you've got some time you need to kill mowing grass, commuting or enjoying the evening air with a tasty beverage.

Last edited by Dark_Canuck; 08/20/18 09:50 AM.
#4435085 - 08/20/18 08:40 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Wulfe Offline
Wulfe  Offline

Sgt. Albert Mayes, MC
No. 3 Squadron R.A.F,
2 Victories.

August 19th, 1918:
(Part 2)

I made it back to Valheureux by the early evening, just in time to join in on a planned raid of a German-controlled railway station. As my Camel was back under repairs, I again flew the Vickers-built spare, which I have named 'Mistress'. As we flew towards the lines I was alarmed to see seven aeroplanes cross overhead. However, to my releif, the machines were S.Es.

We crossed over the top of Arras before flying into Hunland. We reached our target, but I quickly lost my flight entirely whie we attempted to evade some particularly nasty Archie clouds. At one point, I thought I could see a Camel attempting to land in a German field, but my attention was swiftly diverted by the artillery. Having no luck in spotting my flight, and feeling very vulnerable alone in Hunland, I decided to turn back. As I was about to cross back into the mud, I saw the twisted burning remains of an aeroplane, but couldn't make out what type it was. After a while of lingering over the mud, wondering what to do with myself, my flight reappeared, although there were only four. Including myself, we had set off with 8. Suddenly I felt very ill, and so landed at Etrun aerodrome near the front. Fortunately everybody made it home, although 3 Camels had to be written off, and Maxted & Smuts had both been wounded by shrapnel although, thankfully, their wounds were only minor.

Page 215 of 227 1 2 213 214 215 216 217 226 227

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM