Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#4433547 - 08/08/18 09:24 AM Coming to America  
FishTaco Offline
Forever Cromulent
FishTaco  Offline
Forever Cromulent

Perth, Western Australia
Figured I'd get some advice from the great community here :-)

OK, so my situation currently is that my current contract here with the JAF will be coming to an end in September. I have to be honest; I don't want to stay here any longer. Been working with USMC, and they are all terrific guys, but the cost and restrictions of this country is too much. Which brings me up to my thread title.

I have an old military buddy, been friends for absolutely years. He's been prompting me to go to Texas, which I am planning on doing soon. Initially, I was going to come on a tourist visa and stay for one month, to give me an idea of what life is like. For those that don't know me, I'm British / Australian, and hold both passports for both countries. Suddenly though, my friends business has picked up, and he's able to offer me a full time job, but he's not too sure what to do re; federal paperwork etc.

My opinion is that perhaps when I get to Dallas, I should perhaps go to the relevant government office with my friend, and make inquiries. Does anybody have an opinion on this? I sent an email to the U.S Embassy here in Amman, but received a generic response. Also wondering if I may be looked at slightly favorably, as I've been working for the USMC?

Appreciate any opinions.

Many thanks,

Andrew.

Kindest regards,

AJ

"If you know the enemy and know yourself, your victory will not stand in doubt; if you know Heaven and know Earth, you may make your victory complete." - The Art of War - Sun Tzu
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4433556 - 08/08/18 10:25 AM Re: Coming to America [Re: FishTaco]  
rollnloop. Online content
rollnloop.  Online Content

France
Not a US citizen, but here's what I learnt from a relative, who is now perma banned from US if I understood her story correctly. She was trying to mount a business, did 2 years of legal paperwork with a lawyer, paid an employee even when business was not yet open, paid the school for her daughter's next year, all this with tourist visa and regular trips back to France. On her last trip to US, with everything in order in France, she entered again with a tourist visa, and was to get her green card on arrival. Instead of a direct flight to LA, she went via Boston because the ticket was less expensive. I don't know what/how she screwed up on her entering form, but basically she must have mentionned "business" intead of "tourism" as reason for travel. She had an extended interview, but no one would accept her story, so she went into custody for a few hours, then back to France and lost all her investment.

So whatever you are told to do, don't screw up your paperwork, even the smallest one ! Good luck thumbsup

#4433560 - 08/08/18 10:40 AM Re: Coming to America [Re: FishTaco]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
I wish you the best FishTaco but I do have a burning question. Why are you not interested in returning to Australia?

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4433565 - 08/08/18 10:56 AM Re: Coming to America [Re: FishTaco]  
FishTaco Offline
Forever Cromulent
FishTaco  Offline
Forever Cromulent

Perth, Western Australia
Fairly simple really PanzerMeyer;

Blatant corruption in the government.

Majorly expanding gap between the rich and the poor.

I.T salaries have not increased in ~ 10 years.

$15,000 to get my fiance a marriage visa, with no guarantee she will get one.

True unemployment rate: 13.5%. (You are considered to be employed full time if you work more than 2.5 hours per week)

Tax rate: 27-37.5%

Median house price in Perth: $700,000

Poor public transport and infrastructure.

Third world internet services.

Expensive to travel anywhere

And those are just off the top of my head......

Last edited by FishTaco; 08/08/18 10:57 AM.

Kindest regards,

AJ

"If you know the enemy and know yourself, your victory will not stand in doubt; if you know Heaven and know Earth, you may make your victory complete." - The Art of War - Sun Tzu
#4433596 - 08/08/18 03:02 PM Re: Coming to America [Re: FishTaco]  
David Kennard Offline
David Kennard  Offline

Northern Virginia, USA
Looks like coming in Aussie might be easier - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-3_visa

"I'm a hundred miles away son, ready to strike"

GPL Racing: Average Drivers Club

SimHQ Motorsports: SimHQ Motorsports

EVGA Z170 Classified K MB, Intel i7-6700K CPU, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW2 GPU, EVGA 850 G3 PSU, Bitfenix Dawn TG Case, Windows 10,
32gb T-Force Delta RGB DDR4 3600MHz Memory, 500gb WD Black SN750 NVMe Boot Drive

#4433650 - 08/08/18 11:42 PM Re: Coming to America [Re: FishTaco]  
Discord Offline
Discord  Offline

Niagara Falls Ontario
I know you are thinking U.S. but would Canada not be easier to get into for an Australian?

One day the West will fall. But if the Liberty for which we fight is taken up by the world then the West will not have failed.
#4433653 - 08/09/18 12:17 AM Re: Coming to America [Re: FishTaco]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

Every one of the things you mentioned as why you want away from AUS is here in the US also... Some worse some not so bad but all pretty much equal to what is in AUS.

Good Luck.

#4433655 - 08/09/18 12:31 AM Re: Coming to America [Re: Master]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Master
Every one of the things you mentioned as why you want away from AUS is here in the US also... Some worse some not so bad but all pretty much equal to what is in AUS.

Good Luck.

It varies a lot depending on the State you are in. If FT does indeed go to Texas, he will most definitely have a lower tax burden and much more affordable housing compared to Australia.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4433665 - 08/09/18 02:51 AM Re: Coming to America [Re: FishTaco]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Anything New ( Homes ) in the Inland Empire or North San Diego ( California) Area run about 500,000. State Taxes High. Currently, I am looking towards out of state or a smaller house. Maybe a Modular House on a patch of land fenced, graval type dr way, carport 130,000- 200,000 ? However, the South is poor U can get a lot more in the Carolina's or around Richmond Va. Not sure of taxes. I lived in Texas for a few years in the Ft Hood Area nice areas, the prices reasonable , at the time 15 yrs back., What I saw was people would get the largest land lot and put a trailer on it then build a house a little at a time.

Last edited by carrick58; 08/09/18 02:57 AM.
#4433681 - 08/09/18 07:38 AM Re: Coming to America [Re: FishTaco]  
FishTaco Offline
Forever Cromulent
FishTaco  Offline
Forever Cromulent

Perth, Western Australia
All good information guys, and appreciated, many thanks.

One of my colleagues here lives in New York State, he has urged me to go there. Indeed, there's a lot to see in the United States, so if I do end up living there I will travel.

But at this stage, going on what my old buddy says to me, it will be Texas, because of course he is the person offering me the job. Still not sure of what paperwork I may need to do, but I guess perhaps may be better to do it with my friend, when I am in the country.

One question please; I've been looking at some accommodation through AirBNB. Obviously I don't need much, as I will be alone this trip. My work colleague advised me that there may be hotels that are cheaper with a "long stay" option. Has anybody seen this before?

Thanks again,

AJ.

Kindest regards,

AJ

#4433683 - 08/09/18 10:23 AM Re: Coming to America [Re: FishTaco]  
oldgrognard Online content
Administrator
oldgrognard  Online Content
Administrator
Lifer

USA
I would look at renting a house rather than a hotel or AirBnB. If you are talking long term, it will be cheaper. See if you can get a lease/option to buy. Texas is a good choice.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4433686 - 08/09/18 10:47 AM Re: Coming to America [Re: FishTaco]  
Crane Hunter Offline
Veteran
Crane Hunter  Offline
Veteran

Master Meme-er
Originally Posted by FishTaco

I.T salaries have not increased in ~ 10 years.

$15,000 to get my fiance a marriage visa, with no guarantee she will get one.

True unemployment rate: 13.5%. (You are considered to be employed full time if you work more than 2.5 hours per week)

Tax rate: 27-37.5%

Median house price in Perth: $700,000

Poor public transport and infrastructure.

Third world internet services.

Expensive to travel anywhere

And those are just off the top of my head......

So, its basically Canada with a better climate then?

#4433740 - 08/09/18 05:52 PM Re: Coming to America [Re: FishTaco]  
FishTaco Offline
Forever Cromulent
FishTaco  Offline
Forever Cromulent

Perth, Western Australia
Thanks again everybody.

OG; thanks for that advice, I will start looking at short term rentals now. I am due to finish up my tasks here in Jordan by September 17. I can foresee myself arriving in Dallas ~ 1 week or so later. Buddy has advised me of a suburb called Little Elm, close to Frisco. Looks very nice there.

Crane Hunter; apologies, I don't know a great deal about Canada, but I guess from your quote it's the same. As for the weather, depends where you go.

Cheers,

AJ.

Kindest regards,

AJ

#4433783 - 08/09/18 11:23 PM Re: Coming to America [Re: FishTaco]  
Mad Max Offline
survivor
Mad Max  Offline
survivor
Hotshot

NSW, Australia
Don't be mistaken, CH it can be bloody cold here too. We have had eight successive nights of -7C temps. brrrr

"You'll never take me alive" said he,
And his ghost may be heard if you pass by that billabong
"Who'll come a Waltzing Matilda with me?"

#4433878 - 08/10/18 09:42 PM Re: Coming to America [Re: FishTaco]  
Crane Hunter Offline
Veteran
Crane Hunter  Offline
Veteran

Master Meme-er
Originally Posted by Mad Max
Don't be mistaken, CH it can be bloody cold here too. We have had eight successive nights of -7C temps. brrrr

Heh. that's just about t-shirt weather here!

The cold isn't the only issue though, except for a few areas the Canadian climate is extreme all around, you get sweltering heat, sudden storms, high winds, you name it, sometimes in the same day.

And yes FishTaco, its the same situation here.

#4433880 - 08/10/18 09:55 PM Re: Coming to America [Re: FishTaco]  
rezerekted Offline
rezerekted  Offline

Canada
The USA is the most corrupt country out of all the Western countries so think again about where to emigrate to.

Awww; darn it. Now why did you feel it necessary to do that ? Surely you know that was going to make things ugly and take this thread off track in a controversial exchange.

Is being a troll that important to you ?

Just stating the truth so don't know why you think I am trolling. Perhaps Italy is more corrupt but I doubt it. For example: USA allows political donations from corporations. In Canada that is illegal. Corporate donations is a very corrupt system and takes the power away from the people. This is not a troll, I am simply saying if you hate corruption then the USA is a bad choice to move to.

Last edited by rezerekted; 08/18/18 06:30 AM.
#4433929 - 08/11/18 11:18 AM Re: Coming to America [Re: FishTaco]  
FishTaco Offline
Forever Cromulent
FishTaco  Offline
Forever Cromulent

Perth, Western Australia
I'm at an age where I ignore such comments now.

Spoke to my friend yesterday, and even though there are no promises as such, I'm still willing to take the plunge. I've been wanting to do this for at least the last seven years, and now is the time that I actually have both the finances, and the freedom to do it.

So, looking forward to it. Guesstimating that I should be arriving at DFW sometime around September 27-28. Thanks again OG for the advice about accommodation, found some reasonably priced places.

Andrew.

Kindest regards,

AJ

#4434160 - 08/14/18 05:49 AM Re: Coming to America [Re: FishTaco]  
Zamzow Offline
Zamzow  Offline

One question please; I've been looking at some accommodation through AirBNB. Obviously I don't need much, as I will be alone this trip. My work colleague advised me that there may be hotels that are cheaper with a "long stay" option. Has anybody seen this before?

Thanks again,

AJ.

Dude just rent an apartment. Texas is cheap. If your job offer even REMOTELY makes you question your ability to afford an apartment there then you'd better stay away.

Actually, if your job offer couldn't pay for my CALIFORNIA apartment you'd better reconsider...

#4434170 - 08/14/18 10:34 AM Re: Coming to America [Re: FishTaco]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
This thread title keeps reminding me of the great Eddie Murphy/Arsenio Hall movie. smile

#4434187 - 08/14/18 03:06 PM Re: Coming to America [Re: FishTaco]  
Mr_Blastman Online content
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Online Content
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA

FYI these are sizeable problems in America, too(without taking this to PWEC).

I love Aussie accents, but I often figured one of your bigger problems down under were the critters tryin' ta eat ya. wink

In Georgia you can buy a nice house in a decent area of town for ~190k - 270k. Don't tell anyone, though. We've enough problems with all the Yanks moving here as is.

Last edited by Mr_Blastman; 08/14/18 03:08 PM.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.