Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 568 of 608 1 2 566 567 568 569 570 607 608
#4431883 - 07/26/18 04:02 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) **** [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

After a couple of cloud shaded days, the sun is out once more chasing away the shadows. As Annie sings "The sun'l come out tomorrow.... well, of course she's right, on some tomorrow. And when the days are short once more and the winds blow cold, we may well miss these bright, sunny days of soda and pretzels and beer, as Nat reminded us in his 60's song.

My paternal grand dad was in WW1 and told a few hair raising and sad stories of France and the destruction and privations he experienced. My wife's uncle was a Ranger in WW2. He was shot in the head during the Battle of the Bulge. He claimed had he not been shot in the head it might have killed him. His wife always agreed. He spent the rest of his war in German hospitals and came home a local hero. Uncle Bill was elected and then re-elected councilman for 27 years.

Alas. People eventually forget their local heros and their sacrifices. Bill did not run for office the last term before he passed away. The community had changed and he did not feel he could win. At the time of his death, he was still the longest serving city councilman in the state of NC. Some still remember Bill. Enough did so there is now a park named in his honor in my home town today.

Along those lines, the Confederate monument was vandalized in the 60's. Several marble soldiers were tipped over and broken.The rest still stood proud as a undestroyable and sacred remembrance of the dead of that uncivil war that took more American dead than any other war. It is scheduled to be moved, along with other such stone remembrances from across the state to the Bentonville Battleground which is considered to be more PC. Our family never owned slaves on moral grounds AFAIK. Slavery should have been abolished. Say what you will against that marble expression of appreciation for the fallen men and boys, fathers, husbands, sons and brothers of that hateful, divisive war, I for one will miss it. And my family and I will remember.

Q: What did the Yankee flag say to the Reb flag?…
A: Nothing. It just waved!

Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4432033 - 07/27/18 07:52 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

A warm summer's day today. Well, why not? No surprise there. It is the south and it is summer. 91°F. at 3:30 PM. For the next few days we expect temps in the mid 80's. No one will need a heavy coat for that LeRoy. Hang on. Cooler weather will arrive by mid October. MG will get it sooner, no doubt. Hmmmm. what would 80°C be like? Let's see. That would be a toasty sounding 176° C. Yowsa! Kinda sounds like the temp in my old grandma's smokehouse. No, LeRoy, Grandma didn't smoke! That was where she cured her fresh meats so they would last the long winter. Nope, after consulting our handbook, I see that was a bit lower than 175°. The HWH Handbook, in 29 gold leafed volumes, hand bound under water in rich Kangaroo mouse leather by female Japanese pearl divers, has this to say about smoke houses:

Smoking Meat
0004563.1 The Correct Temp For A Smokehouse

The goal in this method is long-term storage, which requires more of a drying process than a cooking process. It should not get hot enough in the smoker to actually cook the food. Temperatures under 100 degrees are ideal. Use hardwood or fruit wood chips to make your safe and savory smoke.

We don't use a smokehouse thank goodness. During warmer months we just turn the industrial strength Frosty Igloo brand AC on high and nothing ever spoils. It is however too cold to take baths so something might have spoiled and we just didn't notice the smell. winkngrin

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019
#4432099 - 07/28/18 10:26 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
Chaps,

Back from Derbyshire this morning with the long sunny break ending with rain today and high seas which have led to boat trips being cancelled here from the harbour.

I bought the Fokker wings with me for underwing painting of the German croix pattee to match the upper wing which were done 13 years ago! I also intend to repaint he whole thing with more detail like staffel markings.

K is in Malibu right now having arrived there 2 days ago but I have heard very little about her trip so far other than she has being taking pics including one of an Apache.

Aaaah! The sun is poking through the overcast again!

'Find your enemy and shoot him down - everything else is unimportant.'

Manfred von Richtofen
---------------------------

#4432114 - 07/28/18 01:14 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Partly sunny here today. Current temp is 74°F. at 9 AM. The high should fall in the mid 80's. We are promised we'll see the temp falling into the 60's F. soon. Odd for this time of the year,

Dux:

Welcome back. Sorry about the weather. Good to hear you are concentrating on rebuilding the bonny Fokker. Has it really been 13 years? It seems on;y last year you were proudly posting the first photos. we were all jealous of your patience and skill. Still are.

So "K" is across the big wet spot and the continent too. Two things I often think of when I hear "Malibu". The Beach Boys and the Chevy. They must both be rare. I haven't seen either in decades. I wish her well . May their performance be a smash. Ask her to wave if she passes over NC on her way home....that is IF they let her go home. winkngrin

#4432335 - 07/30/18 07:23 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Online cool
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Online Cool
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

86 F during the daytime, 71 F during the night. we had a bit of rain Saturday but some places more than other. About a 10 minute shower around where I live. This July is going to be the sunniest since 1920 and we don't know about the years before that becuase it was only by 1920 that regular measurements and recoding of this particular piece of indispensable weather information was started.

Food and music tastes are moving towards Mexican leanings with Tacos, and Charlie Rich's rendition of Juanita.

When seeing the word Malibu, I automatically go; "Mythical Malibu" (although there's no surf to speak of at my nearby beach):

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4432338 - 07/30/18 07:51 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

78°F./26 C. at 3:30 PM. Sky is overcast and, like every day in the coming week, thunderstorms are expected in the afternoon and evening. Everything growing outside is lush and green. I notice that in the last few minutes the sky has become quite dark. A look at the RADAR shows a map full of color moatly green but with patches of yellow moving over in a northerly direction. The rain is starting now...no thunder.

Avast there you Lubbers. Brace the gang plank, batten down the crows nest and poop the deck. I've been re-watching the "Hornblower" series on Youtube. Most of the series seems to be posted now. IMHO it is quite good and I recommend it for those who enjoy good yarns of canvas and cannonballs, wooden ships and salty spray.

MG:
It would seem you are being more than compensated for the total lack of summer-like conditions last year. What kind of dance did you do to accomplish that? OG might need instructions for that someday.

Nice music, thanks for the video clip. I'd say they speak English far better than the Beach Boys speak Danish. Speaking of language, I just learned the difference between "Van" and "Von" in a name. I was surprised. Not what I had thought at all.

#4432346 - 07/30/18 09:01 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Online cool
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Online Cool
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Roger;

The Hornblower series was darn good entertainment, I remember it fondly.

Perhaps You know White Van Man, then? wink

And they ought to speak English pretty perfect, as they’re Canadians! smile

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4432391 - 07/31/18 11:27 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

A rainy, overcast day all day. Temp at 7:19 AM is 72°F.

MG:
Stupid me. I had thought the Dutch "Van" was the same as the German "von".

Canadians speak English? Really? Well then, I guess that could be one explanation for their control of the language.... Are you sure they are Canadians? I did not hear a single "eh" pronounced in the whole video. winkngrin

#4432520 - 08/01/18 06:38 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
Chaps...

JRT : Email surging towards your well-used mailbox right now. Peak time this month for holiday-makers. Very much a family beach with kids just about everywhere. I don't know why it should be the case but parents invariably take over the sand castle projects. Most kids leave them to it and find other things to do!

'Find your enemy and shoot him down - everything else is unimportant.'

Manfred von Richtofen
---------------------------

#4432590 - 08/02/18 12:50 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Overcast again today. Temp at 8:45 AM is 75°F. with showers expected like the past two days.

Dux:

Snagged it on arrival. An entirely unsuitable reply will be coming your way directly. No one here is able to answer your question regarding the instrument being played. The bass guitar is turned away so the brand name is not in view. One observation, our old console TV back in the 60's had fewer knobs and controls on it. Both our male T's said they didn't know what it was but they definitely wanted one. I assume they were referring to the guitar. winkngrin

#4432831 - 08/03/18 08:40 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Leaden skies and the rain cometh down. hat was that song? "Baby, the rain must fall...." It has pounded at my windows off and on all morning. Looks like it will be ditto for the coming week before the deluge ends and those neighbors building arks will tear it all down in disgust and slink back into their garages. I am not building anything, not even a raft. I checked the calendar and next Friday is well within the proscribed 40 days and 40 nights limit. Regardless, the creeks are rising and rivers too. There has been a flash flood warning across the state for several days. My son's survey crews can't do their job and he is not happy. The delay disrupts his lovely timetable.

Dux:

My return email should have heavily plopped into you sand blasted coastal mailbox by now. Careful if you lift it, it is rather heavy with a big Photoshop graphic I hope you can make some sense of. It encompasses many of the possibly interesting sights of my small (50K pop.) home town and its environs. Always a tobacco town but also once a railroad town, I've enclosed some local train pix. I know of your interest in trains. Done some research on the incomparable "K" and I'm more impressed than ever.

#4433050 - 08/05/18 12:12 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Gentlemenses,

Beautiful day today but quite hot. 95 F with moderate humidity. Skies were good for flying. Cloudy enough to add some zest to the flying.

Flew with buddy who has a Mooney. We switch off on which plane to fly. We just bored holes in the sky and ballroom danced with the clouds. Fun day.

Here is a picture of the new wingtips. You can see the downward droop.

https://imgur.com/a/W83DzYe

OK, I’m a an old hand here and a moderator to boot, but posting pictures here has gotten to be a chore. How do I get it to show a picture ? It used to be so easy with Photobucket and the old forum method. Now I seem to have lost the mojo. I’ve done it before with IMGUR, but seem to have lost the touch.

Sometimes I feel like an idiot.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4433152 - 08/05/18 07:15 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Online cool
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Online Cool
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

When posting images, I first select the full editor. Below the field for composing the message and below the Post Icons, the Attachment Manager is the one I want. Selecting the files which must be no larger than 1 MB per file, I click done and that's that.

Here are some examples, as I was at the Copenhagen Classic Grand Prix event this weekend.

Attached Files IMG_20180804_125524515.jpgIMG_20180804_125431893.jpg

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4433161 - 08/05/18 07:47 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

OG:

That's the way I do it as well. Frankly, I liked the old way a bit better. That way the pix was uploaded and imbedded in actual post text and not below it. The newer way works just as well I suppose. I like your photo. Thanks for posting.

Here's a "TIMELINE" video from YouTube on the BoB and the Spitfire you may all like. Perhaps you have missed it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fR03Mmv2bUs

Another gray day today. "Sunday" today is a misnomer. At the moment, it sounds like someone is firing an 88 up there and the shells are bursting right over my roof. To add to the mayhem, Zenna is practicing her oprea lessons at full voice.Lucky me, and I was considering a little nap.... winkngrin

#4433180 - 08/05/18 09:42 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
[Linked Image]

OK, it was the 1MB restriction that was tripping me up. That restriction really stinks since the resolution on iPhones and iPads is so high. I really had to crop it.

MG, thanks for that piece of information. You’d think I would know these things.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4433427 - 08/07/18 01:33 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

A hot and mostly dry day yesterday. Highs in the 90's. Storms all around in the evening but missed us.

OG:

A plane looks happiest in the air I guess. So do boats look best wet with spry especially those with sails. My neighbor actually brought his ocean going sailing yacht all the way from Japan by sea and then had it delivered overland from California to NC. He hired a crane and had her lowered into his spacious back yard where she rests, rather forlorn, right now. He does work on her almost every day but she just looks sad and out of place this far inland. He's an old retired ad man too. I think he sees it and hurries to end her dry dock days asap. . When she's ready for getting wet again, he and his wife plan to sail around the world. I wish them God's speed and fair sailing.

Yes, the other pix was a bit too far away. Your ship: A clean ans racy little lass, say I. Those new "go faster" tips add at least a 100 knots to her apparent speed (on the ground). winkngrin

#4433717 - 08/09/18 03:10 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all

At last! Some rain fell during the night, was still awake to hear the first sounds of it after midnight. it was a fairly short shower, later reinforced at four am by another this time with the sound of distant thunder.

That's a nice looking aircraft, oldgrognard. Did you find a replacement for the actuator? Seem to remember that my checkout in a C-172 included warnings of the drag penalty of full flaps in case of go-arounds, especially if I would be working with students.
He liked take-off flap landings and we did some no flap landings in windy conditions. Never got to test high density altitude landings in small aircraft. Did do a few as well as short field ones in the Hawk. They were fun.

Looking at an ad from a retailer on a Ruger EC9s in the paper. Got fond memories of my .22cal. Mark II(?) It was accurate. But a short barrel like this one?

Last edited by Fittop; 08/09/18 03:12 PM.
#4433739 - 08/09/18 05:49 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Gentlemenses,

Hot, humid, hazy day. High today 94 F. But we’ve had a lot of rain for the last three months or so. The state is so green and lush.

A friend has a friend who has joined us on some flights and has set his mind on getting his ticket and then owning a plane. Well, he has found a Cessna 150 and decided to buy it and train in his own plane. That can be a good way; or not. Anyway he has two homes. One here and one in Bartow, Florida. The plane is in Venice Florida. So my friend and I flew my plane from Brooksville to Bartow, picked him up, and then flew to Venice. The two of them were staying for the pre-buy inspection/annual and I flew back alone. Lots of traffic in the Tampa Class B for me on the way home.

Turns out the actuator just needed adjustment. Lots of adjustment. The micro switches had come loose. So my A&P and I spent an hour and a half adjusting. Adjust one, try it, then on to the next. Adjust that only to find it threw out the previous one. Hard to get it so each of the settings were working without throwing another one out. So a small touch of RTV silicon on each to keep them from loosening. All is good now. Finicky adjustmenting but at least didn’t have to replace. Nice having reliable flaps again. I often only use 20 degrees on crosswind landings; 30 degrees makes you too suseptable to wind push. I do no-flap landings just stay proficient. Short field I use 10. Haven’t done any high altitude field work. Go around/aborts means a fast adjustment of full power, carb heat off, flaps up to 10. Gather it together and get airspeed and then positive rate of climb then retract the last 10. Scared myself bad once on a real abort when I missed getting carb heat off. Really roughed the engine running and power. I Florida I usually watch my carb intake temp and if it’s above 40 I don’t use carb heat. I worry that I am developing a routine that may not be good further north. So I actually announce “ no carb heat” and touch it so that it is a conscious effort and not a routine oversight. Not sure the new tips have given me any performance gains, but they sure do look better ; more modern.

If any of you find yourself in Florida, let me know. We will do a good sight seeing flight.

#4433789 - 08/10/18 12:30 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

A sunny, warm day. Beautiful blue sky. I saw 2 Red Tails doing lazy maneuvers below billowing, ivory-white clouds in the late afternoon. No doubt they were assisted by warm thermals. One simply has to envy their aerobatic grace, for they seemed so easily done. The wingman appeared to be flying upside down at one point. The filthy rumor that I once landed my undamaged Spitfire that way (in BoB) was greatly exaggerated. winkngrin

#4434026 - 08/12/18 07:50 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Online cool
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Online Cool
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

Well, it seems like summer is over here. Temps have dropped and rain in between showers. Farmers are jumping for joy over the downpour though, uderstandably so. I must now relearn what to do when it is typical Danish summer weather.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
Page 568 of 608 1 2 566 567 568 569 570 607 608

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.