Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4432341 - 07/30/18 08:33 PM How Do We Pitch EAW to New Users?  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

With so many new, competing versions of the game, and a newly reorganized Help site, the question becomes "How do we increase the number of EAW users?

This devolves to the question of how to pitch the game to new users, who are presumably used to more modern games.

It occurs to me that we EAW fans need to co-ordinate on how re-market this very old game. I understand the developers of various versions have a vested interest in their particular versions, but in all decency, I suggest that such developers not only include runnable versions of the original (patched) game, but also include links to versions of the game provided by competitors. Yes, I know this is controversial, but such is necessary to save the game from extinction.

That said, what are the features of EAW that distinguish it from more modern games? What, exactly do "we" have to "sell" to potential users?

I am speaking here, of a very simple, one-click download of the (OEM patched) game, suitable for most modern Operating systems.

If there are no such "one-click" downloads available for, say, Win7 and later, May I suggest that the attention of people more sophisticated than myself might be best devoted to producing such?

If such downloads exist, even for a later GTG version that are suitable for later OSs, then let's link then here, for all to know.

As I've said before, every single fan of EAW should be thinking about growing the base of EAW game players, first and foremost.

Perhaps asking GoG.com to include EAW on their list of offered games might be of use. I think there's little doubt that downloaders of a GoG-supplied EAW just might be looking around for some patches and updates. It's likely they will find stuff provided by the people who have spent a lot of effort on further developing the game.

But the FIRST thing is to attract NEW users.

IMHO, the continued viability of the EAW game is primarily based on people easily downloading it, flying it, and afterwards getting involved with the variants produced by various game modifiers, for lack of a better term.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4432351 - 07/30/18 10:04 PM Re: How Do We Pitch EAW to New Users? [Re: RIBob]  
453Raafspitty Offline
453Raafspitty  Offline

Australia,Sandstone Point

#4432386 - 07/31/18 04:24 AM Re: How Do We Pitch EAW to New Users? [Re: RIBob]  
Brit44 'Aldo' Offline
Every Human is Unique
Brit44 'Aldo'  Offline
Every Human is Unique

#1, it can be modded. You can change it to fit your single player desires, but it is not easy. You can create new MP versions, but that takes great skill.
#2 why do you need to re market anything. EAW is a hobby and not a product. If you are trying to make it a product, you have no clue about EAW, flight simulations, or classic computer simulations (sorry if that offends you). I wish I had a pic of a granny at the beach. This is what you are trying to promote.

EAW has a beauty that requires history and/or dedication to understand. It is easier to create a "modern" version from scratch.

As I've said before, every single fan of EAW should be thinking about growing the base of EAW game players, first and foremost.

Soo, you want to expose the base of MP players to the typical idiots found in MMO games? Sorry, but I just don't understand your desire from EAW.
GOG can only sell a game that they have a contract with the intellectual property owners.

IMHO, the continued viability of the EAW game is primarily based on people easily downloading it, flying it, and afterwards getting involved with the variants produced by various game modifiers, for lack of a better term.

Actually, the viability on future operating systems is the man hours it takes to update the core engine to work with the next version of Micro$oft. It seems to me that you are dreaming of an open source project, similar to EAW.

Last edited by Brit44 'Aldo'; 07/31/18 04:37 AM. Reason: open source

TPA who TWI
"The 10th Amendment simply says that any powers that aren’t mentioned in the Constitution as belonging to the government belong to the states themselves."
#4432393 - 07/31/18 11:39 AM Re: How Do We Pitch EAW to New Users? [Re: RIBob]  
VonBeerhofen Offline
3DZ Master/Campaign Designer
VonBeerhofen  Offline
3DZ Master/Campaign Designer
Hotshot

Zandvoort, N-H, Netherlands
You're welcome to advertise EAW anywhere you like RiBob, or try and maintain a website, set up a virtual squadron, contact gaming news media or even publish your own EAW Chronicle, upload videos to YouTube, create an EAW Chatroom or a Facebook or Twitter page. I've done it all since 2000 and am tired of it. It's about time someone else takes the job, so consider this to be a vacancy.

VonBeerhofen

#4432398 - 07/31/18 01:18 PM Re: How Do We Pitch EAW to New Users? [Re: RIBob]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

Montagnac, L'Herault, France
I agree VBH
What has been mainly happening is that previous EAW users who were stymied by the 7217 error and other problems have become aware that they can run EAW in various forms using the later versions of windows,with wrappers if necessary. So they have made a nostalgic return to the fold.
I turn 77 later this year and I am tired too. All I really want to do is to fly EAW online with a broad selection of theatres and planes, and I can do that already wink

Fly EAW online at GameRanger: GameRanger Site

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

Mark Twain: I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.

I am now of an age at which I no longer need to suffer fools gladly
#4432401 - 07/31/18 02:41 PM Re: How Do We Pitch EAW to New Users? [Re: RIBob]  
Rotton50 Offline
3DZ / campaign designer
Rotton50  Offline
3DZ / campaign designer

Cape Charles, Virginia, USA
Jel,

The funny thing is, one of our members just mentioned in another thread that progress will have to wait for the Coders to die off.

Pretty sure he meant it too.

Heck, even paranoids have enemies.
#4432536 - 08/01/18 09:13 PM Re: How Do We Pitch EAW to New Users? [Re: Rotton50]  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

Originally Posted by Rotton50
Jel,

The funny thing is, one of our members just mentioned in another thread that progress will have to wait for the Coders to die off.

Pretty sure he meant it too.

That would NOT be me. I value the contributions of the longstanding supporters of the Game to even think such a thing.

I am so new here that my nose is stuck to the magnificent showcase window, and my occasional comments are dismissed as "already done" or simply stupid.

That's all right. I'm used to being ignorant about a lot of things; that's why I ask questions.

#4432547 - 08/01/18 10:54 PM Re: How Do We Pitch EAW to New Users? [Re: RIBob]  
Rotton50 Offline
3DZ / campaign designer
Rotton50  Offline
3DZ / campaign designer

Cape Charles, Virginia, USA
Already done questions? Yeah you've had some of those.

Stupid questions? Nope, no one thinks your questions are stupid.

And the comment has been edited out as best I can tell so it's a moot point.

Heck, even paranoids have enemies.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.