Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#4432307 - 07/30/18 01:02 PM Re: EAWHS Updates and Stuff [Re: MarkEAW]  
MarkEAW Offline
MarkEAW  Offline

I changed the download links color again. You might have to clear out your browser cache to see the changes. The new style sheet doesnt load.
Also reloads of the pages/frames is advised as they dont always show up when i make a change.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4432336 - 07/30/18 07:33 PM Re: EAWHS Updates and Stuff [Re: MarkEAW]  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

New link color is much more visible than any color you have used previously, and a very nice improvement. Well done.

For the, uh, intellectually internet challenged, I strongly suggest informing people of what links look like, and as near the beginning of your Help Site as possible.

For example: "Links are displayed like this: [and then give some sort of example of a link on Help Site]", in full color. I realize this is dumbing things down a bit, but such is often needed. It is easy to do, and won't be objected-to, even by experienced internet users.

As always, the goal is increased use of EAW and its variants, so making things as easy as possible for potential users ought to be paramount.

Please allow me to compliment you on the manner with which you have dealt with the constructive criticism recently provided. Your willingness to accept such, and further willingness to adopt many features suggested, do you credit.

I have seen many authors of similar internet documents let their ego over-ride their common sense. Thankfully, you are made of better stuff, and the EAW community benefits from your enlightened attitude.

Last edited by RIBob; 07/30/18 07:43 PM.
#4432337 - 07/30/18 07:50 PM Re: EAWHS Updates and Stuff [Re: MarkEAW]  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

Originally Posted by MarkEAW
@RIBob......I think I have all the changes you mentioned and others as well in place.I just haven't added 'flying tactics' from other people in the one related help doc. I can however if its EAW related, add a link for each occurrence on the LINKS page on my web site, in a new section. Do you have a Link(s)?

I believe I asked several specific questions regarding my progress on transforming the site....without rereading my posts, I forget. So if you have (even if you don't have) feedback I'd like your opions on the current state of my site, please.

I'm still filling it out and correcting text to make more sense in the new locations of given information. lol
How about the FIRST USE help document? I'm having a hard time really filling that out. Its suppose to be steps and information for beginners (or returning oldies) to help them quickly understand what they need to know and do.

Regarding the search engine; I'm not sure how it works as far as getting rid of old pages, but so far its added a few of the new pages. I have a redirect page for people looking for the site(or specific page on the site.)

One thing I had to do is move some of the credits to the main page because I can't remember which portions of the pages I got info from whom. I'll eventually be removing credits from every doc as I will be cherry picking information from them and creating new pages.

Please read my past posts to answer my questions if you guys can find the time to do so.
(80,000 views from Feb 2015) That's pretty good for an old game. I don't think that includes every hit, or returning hits in a short amount of time.

Thanks Guys, your words and support have allowed me to take the past few days to changes things up, even with renewed interest in helping out.

Mark, not sure if the "@" feature works here. rReceived no notice of your "@RIBob" comment till I actually read it.

Link color revision seems to have been resolved.

EAW flight sim tutorials seem to been have addressed (with links) in this thread, most, but not all, being on second page:

http://SimHQ.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4421120/2/so-how-to-play-eaw. If there are more. I would appreciate such additions here, or in original thread.

Aside from the ongoing re-org of the Help Site, the only thing I would venture to suggest is inclusion of a one-click download of some version of the original[/] game (patched), suitable for most modern Operating Systems. In deference to the many fine subsequent developers of the game, links to their versions should be included., with the mention that such are [I]improved versions of the game.

Last edited by RIBob; 07/30/18 08:05 PM.
#4432557 - 08/02/18 02:03 AM Re: EAWHS Updates and Stuff [Re: MarkEAW]  
MarkEAW Offline
MarkEAW  Offline

okay, thanks. I'll get to those links soon.

I've removed all but two code group help documents. I combined them with the stock game help areas. I still need to go through and re word a few things, and move some text over to the troubleshoot document.

Then I'll be back to reviewing the site for errors on occasions.
Have to add a few links for Flight trainng then play with dgvoodoo alittle more.

#4432664 - 08/02/18 11:32 PM Re: EAWHS Updates and Stuff [Re: MarkEAW]  
MarkEAW Offline
MarkEAW  Offline

Didn't see any links there, RIBob. .....

I'm still working on the site off and on during the night and day. Filling out the old and new help docs as some have more room now to add a little bit more text. (How can there be more room? well by that I mean more need for more text, plus if I've learned something since the first time I wrote something, I add to it now)

Just for fun I been doing all this error finding, fixing errors in text and making things easier for everyone that visits.
I guess I been doing most of the work the last 3 nights, but have been rewriting some of it in the past week.

#4433510 - 08/08/18 01:12 AM Re: EAWHS Updates and Stuff [Re: MarkEAW]  
MarkEAW Offline
MarkEAW  Offline

okay,
I literately was pulling on my hair to keep thinking, and keep my focus on things. So all sorts of things are straightened out.
just some minor minor things need correcting.

Tuned up several docs, including troubleshoot and install help docs.
I think im just posting for the sake of posting this past week or so. :\

Any help questions or concerns feel free to post here.

That's all for now that I can think of.

#4433767 - 08/09/18 07:45 PM Re: EAWHS Updates and Stuff [Re: MarkEAW]  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

Mark, there are links to various EAW-applicable flight tutorials on Second page of the threat I linked above, some supplied by yourself. Have a look. In my post, I link to a page where a follow-up, EAW-specific, tutorial was posted to STK_EAW pilot-guide. I don't think you have that, yet. Here's a direct link: http://www.combatsim.com/htm/2000/09/stk_eaw_new/page25.htm This last addition was written specifically for on-line players, but I believe it is good advice for all sim pilots.

In fact, this entire page has quite a few tutorials that are probably useable by EAW players:
http://www.combatsim.com/archive/htm/htm_arc4/training.htm. Naturally, your call on whether or not to include links to topics mentioned.

Mark, I feel confident in saying we all sincerely appreciate your latest efforts to make the EAW Help Site even better.

Relax, let the dust settle, and let's all of use have a good look-over. Your efforts are certainly appreciated, that's for certain!

Thank You!

Last edited by RIBob; 08/09/18 07:56 PM.
#4433777 - 08/09/18 10:04 PM Re: EAWHS Updates and Stuff [Re: MarkEAW]  
MarkEAW Offline
MarkEAW  Offline

hmm, okay, not sure how i missed them.
That STK for EAW seems to be an old version, but maybe I can add it to the links pages. The last was v1.06.

I am now relaxing, sorta. I just don't have any errors seen, to be corrected. smile

Thanks RIBob for all the feedback and everyone one else that put some effort forward to help me.

#4433970 - 08/11/18 10:43 PM Re: EAWHS Updates and Stuff [Re: MarkEAW]  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

hmm, okay, not sure how i missed them.
That STK for EAW seems to be an old version, but maybe I can add it to the links pages. The last was v1.06.

I am now relaxing, sorta. I just don't have any errors seen, to be corrected. smile

Thanks RIBob for all the feedback and everyone one else that put some effort forward to help me.

It's I, and many others, that owe YOU thanks.

#4434031 - 08/12/18 08:38 PM Re: EAWHS Updates and Stuff [Re: MarkEAW]  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

Now that I have suggested some much-deserved rest for you, after all the previous work, I have another suggestion.

Your Help site is literally filled with abbreviations/acronyms. For example, I went to a (linked-by-you) page that was describing Wrapper Programs, and only a few words into the text I encountered the abbreviation "AIP". Still have no idea what "AIP" is, after reading through the document.

Many terms we folks that are even beginning to be conversant with (in EAW game context) are obscure, and many terms are first encountered by newbies/first users of the EAW HELP Site.

Might I suggest the following practice: On first mention of any abbreviation/acronym spell it out first, with cap first letters on all relevant words, and then immediately following the full version, enclose the abbreviation/acronym in parentheses. For example first mention of "Back-Up Iron Sights" on would be followed by (BUIS).

Specific example: "Most rifle users agree that the presence of sighted-in Back-Up Iron Sights (BUIS) is a good insurance policy against optics failure."

A useful addition would be a glossary of terms and acronyms with every and all abbreviations and acronyms alphabetically listed, along with at least a fully-worded description of the abbreviation/acronym.

For example, a user of a Help Site for firearms might encounter "BUIS" further down in the text, long after such term was fully explained. User scrolls up (or down) and clicks on Glossary link, and then scrolls down to "BUIS". Receives info that "BUIS" means "Back-Up Iron Sights". Maybe additional info, if such seems essential. Another click back to original page, where user can read on, having their question answered, is now not confused, and ready to learn.

Now, this is a BIG job, but as against that, requires no skull-sweat, and be done in stages, once the glossary is established, and the links thereto are established on each page of the Help document. Doing this will require you to read through every single line of the Help Site, and possibly catch some things that need to be addressed. It is a simple, but very tedious job, but one that will add greatly to the utility of the Help Site.

One which I am hesitant to ask you to do, after all your very valuable efforts so far. I ask this oly because it seems to be [I[needed[/I] to perfect the Help Site.

If I can help, I will be glad to do so. Just ask.

Last edited by RIBob; 08/12/18 08:51 PM.
#4434035 - 08/12/18 09:10 PM Re: EAWHS Updates and Stuff [Re: MarkEAW]  
MarkEAW Offline
MarkEAW  Offline

I try to spell out stuff when I can. I don't recall much not being explained, but maybe you see more than I do.

It won't happen, Good thought anyhow, but this isn't really a wiki, its a plain web site.
I don't really like doing links within documents, hence why I put some at the beginning of the page.
I intentionally avoided adding links in the help docs this time around, there painfully to do them all and keep them pointing in the right location.

Its API....like The GLIDE API. I forgot what it stands for without looking it up on google, its basically the software engine I guess that drives the graphics.

Thanks for the idea though.
If you need anything else explained, I'll update the help doc(s) , but for now I'll have to just catch them as I go otherwise.

Thanks again.

#4434042 - 08/12/18 10:31 PM Re: EAWHS Updates and Stuff [Re: MarkEAW]  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

I try to spell out stuff when I can. I don't recall much not being explained, but maybe you see more than I do.

It won't happen, Good thought anyhow, but this isn't really a wiki, its a plain web site.
I don't really like doing links within documents, hence why I put some at the beginning of the page.
I intentionally avoided adding links in the help docs this time around, there painfully to do them all and keep them pointing in the right location.

Its API....like The GLIDE API. I forgot what it stands for without looking it up on google, its basically the software engine I guess that drives the graphics.

Thanks for the idea though.
If you need anything else explained, I'll update the help doc(s) , but for now I'll have to just catch them as I go otherwise.

Thanks again.

If I were you, I'd be very tired of my suggestions. Still, I think it's worth considering. I'm willing to help, if I can.

#4434050 - 08/13/18 12:01 AM Re: EAWHS Updates and Stuff [Re: MarkEAW]  
MarkEAW Offline
MarkEAW  Offline

I'm not tired of your ideas.
I consider them all, this one I happen to given reasons why I won't be doing it.

#4435514 - 08/23/18 09:02 PM Re: EAWHS Updates and Stuff [Re: MarkEAW]  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

Mark, thanks for all that you've done. It's a certainty that without your Help Site, I would not be flying EAW today. Thanks to the other helpful folks here, I have additional versions to fly, and all of them have their certain charm.

Much obliged to all of you!

#4436105 - 08/28/18 04:43 AM Re: EAWHS Updates and Stuff [Re: MarkEAW]  
MarkEAW Offline
MarkEAW  Offline

Your Welcome. As Always.:)

On my site in several / many locations I have question marks ?. These marks usually indicate I've used educated guessing to determine the statement I provided, or that I'm missing the information and need assistance from web page visitors to help me fill in the details.

If your a expert when visiting the site for your needs, can you please provide some sort of details regarding the ? mark I have indicated. It would be helpful to confirm or deny the info too that's present.
I'm just asking in your travels if you can answer them and post here or PM what you know. Thanks.

Beyond That I'm spending more time on my help docs to make sure newbies and experts have a quick reference to details.
The Configuration Doc had topics added. EAWINI, FXEXE, Video help docs have all been touched up.

#4436389 - 08/30/18 01:50 AM Re: EAWHS Updates and Stuff [Re: MarkEAW]  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

In the unlikely chance that I can add to your help site, I would not hesitate to do so. I would consider it an honor, and a privilege.

#4436647 - 08/31/18 11:47 PM Re: EAWHS Updates and Stuff [Re: MarkEAW]  
MarkEAW Offline
MarkEAW  Offline

Well you have I believe in the past, it was a blur a month or two ago. I added the info and adjusted for what you asked about, then I reorganized the site. All based on mostly your feedback in the past month or so.
Thank You.

But I really need those ??? marks filled in with specifics to round out the site for more advanced reference. aw well we'll see what happens.

#4436653 - 09/01/18 12:18 AM Re: EAWHS Updates and Stuff [Re: MarkEAW]  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

??? as in this thread, or on your Site? Will help regardless, just give me a place to go.

#4436660 - 09/01/18 01:01 AM Re: EAWHS Updates and Stuff [Re: MarkEAW]  
MarkEAW Offline
MarkEAW  Offline

on my site. Just if you run into anything which is blank and contains a ? mark or two or three. It normally means im baffled and guessing, not sure or dont have info to fill in there. Thats all.

#4436738 - 09/01/18 08:11 PM Re: EAWHS Updates and Stuff [Re: MarkEAW]  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

on my site. Just if you run into anything which is blank and contains a ? mark or two or three. It normally means im baffled and guessing, not sure or dont have info to fill in there. Thats all.

OK, will do.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.