Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4431754 - 07/25/18 06:27 PM Korea Strong-Player Controlled  
-Axe- Offline
-Axe-  Offline

All 3 campaigns: Iron Fortress, Rolling Fire, Tiger Spirit.
All possible entities ,Air, Land, Sea, are placed in players control. (Set by HQ is off)
(if I missed something I'd like to be made aware of it)
Bullseye is relocated to the default airbase.
No missions fragged.
Target type, Mission type, and Paks, are all zero'd out.
Created with 'set g_bNewChallengeRatingCode 0' inserted in my bms config.

This is a small project I'm working on, with a possible follow up involving missions already fragged.
This is a template I made to help me for management purposes, use however you may envision.

I hope to get a better understanding of managing ground troops, as I am not up to speed on management limitations.

The zip was scanned by Malwarebytes and Eset and found to be clean.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/0n2icf6v7qdgjyo/Korea_Strong_Player_Controlled.zip/file

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4431889 - 07/26/18 04:32 PM Re: Korea Strong-Player Controlled [Re: -Axe-]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
You've been busy Axe old chum. Glad to see you working on campaign stuff thumbsup

Are you planning to do everything manually? is that the idea?

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4431908 - 07/26/18 06:05 PM Re: Korea Strong-Player Controlled [Re: -Axe-]  
-Axe- Offline
-Axe-  Offline

Hey D, and I'm having fun with it too. Thanks.

It's set so that if I don't do it, it don't get done, but only for blue.
I had the thought on this, that the sliders are really not for the manager.
It's just an easy way to tell the engine 'within certain delineated restrictions, you are free to do as you see fit'
Same with the PAKs, Turn them off. I decide the area's of interest via fragging. yep
Not sure I'll stay to it strictly though, as I'm open to handing things off later to HQ if it makes sense.
This 'Player Controlled' template just seemed like a great place to start.

I am already seeing limits on ground unit tasking and don't know where to go from here with it.
My AirMobile's failed, but could be due to enemy air scaring them off. Which is what they should do sometimes. thumbsup
I re-fragged them so hope for better luck the second attempt.

I'm doing a Iron Fortress and into mission 4, and red aircraft is very present already.
The only A/G attacks I'm fragging are at just north of Pohang. Helo's and F4's for that.
As you know, Pohang will be threatened early, so I have to frag those missions.
I only want to frag A/A though, and not lose good A/G fighters while the skys are so Red.
Especially with the set g mod active.

It's real fun flying for me. I have many DCA and Barcap around Taegu to prevent losing it to damage.
I get in that mix as a single ship. Man the RWR is eat up with 29's at takeoff.
I know my escape window before takeoff, LOL, Bet ya never heard that said before!
Certainly Awacs is in the air first thing!!!
I get my kills mostly one at a time, and drag and get another. Loaded with 120's and 2 tanks, and that's so I get the ECM loaded.
Otherwise I'd just load 1 tank. Gotta have that jammer for real right now.

I landed the last mission with active radars missiles inbound. biggrin And that's at Taegu!!! Better than running again, with no missiles left.

#4431917 - 07/26/18 07:22 PM Re: Korea Strong-Player Controlled [Re: -Axe-]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Strong Iron Fortress is the proper Iron Fortress, good luck airman!

Yeah, Apaches on the Pohang attack axis is correct. And you have A-10s at Taegu? And Commanches maybe? I get versions confused sometimes.

The opening morning in Strong IF is the most intense of any Falcon campaign I've played. The airspace between Taegu and Seoul is murderous smile That SA TEN doesn't help.

What's the issue(s) with ground troops?

#4431930 - 07/26/18 09:04 PM Re: Korea Strong-Player Controlled [Re: -Axe-]  
-Axe- Offline
-Axe-  Offline

I didn't pick up on this new Strong Iron Fortress feeling until now. I mistakenly thought that they had it wrong by interfering with my need to save
Taegu by putting so many durn Red fighters in the air. winkngrin Then I realized, just today, that it's ok. The feel of Iron Fortress is still the same.
But it's not so much the ground troops rushing in to take the base, it's the air threat rushing in to destroy it now. My back is still up against the wall,
like Iron Fortress is meant to be. cheers

Your memory is correct. I have A10's and attack Helo's at Taegu. I won't let them airborn just yet. Man are they pissed at me. sigh

re;ground troops, I can't get the white destination circle to stay put. I'm wanting to move closeby AD to Taegu.
When I recheck it after clock movement, it's back to where it was originally. And that's moving south.
Thank you for asking.

I'm going to keep an eye out on the 161st out of Taegu, I'm working them hard right now.

99% effort is to save Taegu.

Attached Files Taegu still open for business.jpgnext supply at 12.jpgwell that didn't take long.jpg
#4431933 - 07/26/18 09:39 PM Re: Korea Strong-Player Controlled [Re: -Axe-]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I'll start with the obvious, forgive me. Are you unchecking the control box on the ground unit? You have it filtered by battalion? You are giving destination orders to a facility or town precisely, and not a road junction for example? Basic yes, and I know you have, but worth asking. Ground troop control in BMS is flaky, oftentimes they will go somewhere other than where you've directed them. it worked better in AF.

Saving Taegu from destruction is priority no doubt. But you must also stop the encroaching Red ground forces, because once they get within a certain distance, the airfield will automatically evacuate and I'm not sure they will move back even after you've pushed the front line clear. I mean, it's not vital, but the congestion at the remaining fields will be high as reinforcements arrive, if Taegu cannot handle it's share.

As for this campaign, I made some comments in one of my threads, and one of them was advice to frag as much defensive air as you think is sufficient, then triple it. Seriously. It's nuts. In the early hours I like to join the Block 30 squadron, since it's such a sexy thoroughbred and I think the best at WVR sort of stuff.

#4431939 - 07/26/18 11:09 PM Re: Korea Strong-Player Controlled [Re: -Axe-]  
-Axe- Offline
-Axe-  Offline

No forgiveness is warranted, only gratitude for you spending the energy to be thorough. I like thorough, especially when it comes to troubleshooting.

In regards to the 260th 262nd and 2923rd AAA battalions: yes filtered by battalion in OOB.

---Looking in the status box for all 3 shows the box for 'set by HQ' is indeed unchecked. Looking at OOB as a battalion, for those units, all 3 have 'Player Controlled' added to them. That setting was initialized at the beginning of the campaign and remains ok.
---Destination---Just retested, when I move the white circle to the destination, if it doesn't show the orders I want (Air Defense Taegu) then I snap the circle to the base, and it always (so far on these 3 batts) will show proper orders to Air Defense Taegu.

I can order, save the camp with no time moved since placing the orders, exit and reenter and the orders are gone. Just don't want to stick.

One possible issue I noticed, that I wasn't aware of at this time but don't really think it should account for orders not sticking, is that all 3 Battalions have significantly lowered 'Operational' 62%,55%, 55%.
I would expect that to slow them down though and not make an order change.
Fatigue is normal, and moral is normal.

Any ideas?

Yes, AF likely still sets the bar for management power.

But the good news is if it is flaky, then it works sometimes. I'll just have to figure out when, or with who it will work.
That was the idea behind making the Player Controlled campaigns, so I would learn what I can do. My thinking was, turn everything off, and if I can't do something it should show up. So far so good!
And if I can do some of it on the ground I'll be happy. My appreciation for the free work BMS has done is not lessened a bit.

I'll keep an eye out for Red ground encroachment, good to advise me of that. I do not like lines at the taxiways......none some at all.

I like that saying,: frag as much defensive air as you think is sufficient, then triple it. That man, whoever he is, is a genuis! cool

Lastly, now I gotta get me some sexy too. Block 30 here I come.

#4431972 - 07/27/18 12:27 PM Re: Korea Strong-Player Controlled [Re: -Axe-]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Not sure what the ground troop issue is. What is the ground posture? Is it consolidating by chance?

I think this is the only campaign in BMS that has the Block 30. It's not the best HARMCAP jet though.

#4431995 - 07/27/18 03:50 PM Re: Korea Strong-Player Controlled [Re: -Axe-]  
-Axe- Offline
-Axe-  Offline

Great question D. You have me looking into more than I would have without you. I am going to try to keep it short, but I know that will fail so I say in advance 'I'm sorry'.

Checking Intel I see that the Defensive Posture is Pusan. I think your question hit on the truth of the matter right here.
I am seeing one of the AAA units that I'm trying to manage headed to Pusan with another AAA that I haven't attempted to manage. Obviously something is calling the shots here and it's not me.
Of the 3 I'm wanting to manage, one of the AAA is stuck at Camp Walker, but checking the destination circle it is yellow and on Taegu. No movement at all with that unit.
The last of the 3 units, the 260 AAA orders are sticking and appears to be moving to Taegu to defend it.

Your question forced me to think some more about this, and I have something to put to you to ponder.
Even though the Brigade and Division level 'status' boxes show a 'set by HQ' option, they are non functioning.
So should I fail in an attempt to manage a subordinate unit under those still active HQ's it would be understandable. Aggravating yes, but understandable.
But the AAA and AD units are not subordinate to any Brigade or Division. When I disable their 'set by HQ' I expect to have full command.
The only caveat to that would be we find the ultimate command to ALL units in the OOB, which is listed as 'Army: Combined Forces.
Army: Combined Forces has no option to examine it's info or status box, and consequently no 'set by HQ' option.
Since I cannot obtain complete control over the AAA or AD, the alternate management has to exist somewhere, and I wonder if its with the Army:Combined Forces.
If not where would it be?
And who is deciding the 'Defensive Posture anyhow? (insert small rant here: after manually turning off all those friggin set by HQ's, I'd suggest it should be ME wave )
If it is with the Army:Combined Forces, I have at the top of my BMS wish list to add a status box wherein I could obtain complete management control by just unchecking that one 'set by HQ'. And be done with it.

edit to add not complete in entirety, just complete in regards to ground units.

Last edited by -Axe-; 07/27/18 03:54 PM.
#4432004 - 07/27/18 05:02 PM Re: Korea Strong-Player Controlled [Re: -Axe-]  
-Axe- Offline
-Axe-  Offline

Went for a walk in the woods, which is where I usually get clarity on issues troubling me.
Fortunately, I live in the woods, so I should be eat up with clarity. santa

No perfect solution found there, but I had some clarity on how I began:
I initially had the take that it would not go perfectly.
Knowing that, rather that revisit too many possibilities I should endeavor to be thorough.
At the campaign initiation phase, rather than just turn off set by HQ in the sliders and PAK area's I went the full mile and slid them down, and turned them off. Why leave anything undone?
(you guys probably thought, why in the world did he do that? and were just too nice to call me out) I do appreciate it.
I approached the whole thing in this mindset, knowing or suspecting something is/will be hidden from me. And there is.
Like for instance: what's the rationale for having set by HQ boxes that you cannot disable? But there's got to be more.

I feel pretty good that I do have more clarity than when I begun. I dug deeper than expected.
Now i'm going to just keep running the clock and have fun with short hop missions, and observe, and test.

D- the block 30 is at Kimhae, I may not get down there till things cool off around Taegu.

#4432031 - 07/27/18 07:46 PM Re: Korea Strong-Player Controlled [Re: -Axe-]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yeah, Kimhae. And that's good, because you only have half a dozen enemy aircraft chasing you on final biggrin

Not sure what the issue is with the ground troops. It could just be Falcon being Falcon, it could be related to having everything off, but I doubt that. Not even sure what to suggest. Maybe it will work an hour from now.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.