Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4431561 - 07/23/18 11:46 PM To Mr Jelly,  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

Since IM's are not working, here us IM I sent you:

" I have downloaded and installed, as per your very helpful thread here V1.60, up to, but not including the very latest SPAW additions. I am still "tidying-up" as I type, and will be ready soon to download and install the SPAW addition.

Questions:

Is SPAW reasonably Good-to-Go (GTG), or is it a Beta version with significant development ahead? I just got my EAW games back (not to speak of all the others), and I am a poor Beta-tester. IMHO, you have far better candidates for such than myself.

Since I have downloaded a very recent version of your game, are there any "essential" add-ons which you both offer and recommend which I should also download and install?

If so, would you be so kind as to both point out the specific files and their location(s)?

Please allow me to thank you again for all the kind help you have given me. I realize helping newbies is sometimes tedious, and appreciate your time."

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4431564 - 07/24/18 12:40 AM Re: To Mr Jelly, [Re: RIBob]  
Rotton50 Offline
3DZ / campaign designer
Rotton50  Offline
3DZ / campaign designer

Cape Charles, Virginia, USA
Can't speak to the other stuff but SPAW is definitely NOT a BETA,

In fact, SPAW is the most thoroughly tested add-on scenario ever produced for EAW.

New functions do get added from time to time, however, those additions are put through the paces by Jel and his online crew so there's nothing to worry about on that front.

In fact, among other things, we're working through the details of adding catapults to the carriers hopefully for the nascent Korean Conflict scenario.

So go fly a kite. ( As in Brit slang for an airplane )

Heck, even paranoids have enemies.
#4431765 - 07/25/18 08:17 PM Re: To Mr Jelly, [Re: Rotton50]  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

OK, thanks! I'll add it into the v1.60 mix as soon as I find time to do so.

Coincidental that you mention KorWar, as I have been investigating getting "Mig Alley": running on my machine.

#4431796 - 07/26/18 12:13 AM Re: To Mr Jelly, [Re: RIBob]  
Rotton50 Offline
3DZ / campaign designer
Rotton50  Offline
3DZ / campaign designer

Never tried it.

Heard that was a "buggy" sim.

Depends on how much time you've got, we might just put together a Korean Conflict scenario for EAW.

#4431802 - 07/26/18 12:41 AM Re: To Mr Jelly, [Re: Rotton50]  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

Originally Posted by Rotton50
Never tried it.

Heard that was a "buggy" sim.

Depends on how much time you've got, we might just put together a Korean Conflict scenario for EAW.

Time will tell. It ran OK on Win Me and XP. Ground detail was terrible, but flight stuff was decent. Some updates/patches/mods to the program as one might imagine; There is some user support, as well as official patches.. Scant knowledge at present, but with the mods/patches included, I wouldn't write it off altogether--at least at present. If functional on modern computers, might be worth a look, both for good points and bad ones.

I do recall landing my Sabre at a Nork airport, and taxying around machine-gunning all the buildings and a/c in sight, and then taking off. That was a laugh.

Not the most brilliant piloting, but worth remembering, Don't think von Richthofen could say the same, LOL.

ETA: one thing I do recall was the radar-assisted gunsight in the Sabre. That was a quantum leap in sighting, and was pure murder on the Migs. That aspect of the game will need to be investigated in any future KorWar sims, as it is so different from previous gunsights.

ETA: Just found original CD of "Mig Alley", backed with "Apache Havoc" which game gets so-so reviews on old-games.com. As a contrast, "Mig
Alley" gets generally good reviews. Will tinker with it as time allows. Forum here specifically intended for that era game seems pretty dead.

At present, somewhat preoccupied with getting new convertible top installed on my '96 Miata, installing an aftermarket rear window de-fogger on the rear window of the hard top, as well as some minor re-painting/bodywork.

Last edited by RIBob; 07/27/18 06:50 PM.
#4431859 - 07/26/18 01:05 PM Re: To Mr Jelly, [Re: RIBob]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

Montagnac, L'Herault, France
Back to the main points

With 160 if you have an installation then apart from bug fixing patches all updates that are not currently installed by the user are expansions.
The 7-zip downloads would install:

1. A new theatre folder and a corresponding "dir.set" file in the "LongDirSets" folder so that the user can load it, or .....
2. Additional aircraft skin and FM folders in the "Aircraft_Inventory" folder with new planeset folders in the "Planesets" folder, or .....
3. New versions of the eaw.exe in the "EAW Versions" folder.

Therefore there is little risk in expanding your installation as nothing is being overwritten
If there is a problem with a new installation then users need to let us know, so that we can fix it.

Korea:

What is being developed does not relate to the Korean Air War, but to the use of Korea as a staging post for the Japanese for the invasion of China

wink Jel

Last edited by MrJelly; 07/27/18 06:32 AM.

Fly EAW online at GameRanger: GameRanger Site

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

Mark Twain: I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.

I am now of an age at which I no longer need to suffer fools gladly
#4431942 - 07/27/18 12:00 AM Re: To Mr Jelly, [Re: RIBob]  
Rotton50 Offline
3DZ / campaign designer
Rotton50  Offline
3DZ / campaign designer

That's news to me,

Moggy, Lolo and I have already discussed an actual Koren scenario.

I even put together a planeset and gathered some models from around EAW world.

FWIW, not sure if it will actually happen.

#4431956 - 07/27/18 06:39 AM Re: To Mr Jelly, [Re: RIBob]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

Montagnac, L'Herault, France
That's news to me

All indications from discussions in other places seem to relate to pre-WW2 planes, with nothing relating to jets and the Korean Air War.

It would be good to have an update from Moggy and Lolo smile

Fly EAW online at GameRanger: GameRanger Site

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

Mark Twain: I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.

I am now of an age at which I no longer need to suffer fools gladly
#4432022 - 07/27/18 06:44 PM Re: To Mr Jelly, [Re: MrJelly]  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

Originally Posted by MrJelly
Back to the main points

With 160 if you have an installation then apart from bug fixing patches all updates that are not currently installed by the user are expansions.
The 7-zip downloads would install:

1. A new theatre folder and a corresponding "dir.set" file in the "LongDirSets" folder so that the user can load it, or .....
2. Additional aircraft skin and FM folders in the "Aircraft_Inventory" folder with new planeset folders in the "Planesets" folder, or .....
3. New versions of the eaw.exe in the "EAW Versions" folder.

Therefore there is little risk in expanding your installation as nothing is being overwritten
If there is a problem with a new installation then users need to let us know, so that we can fix it.

Korea:

What is being developed does not relate to the Korean Air War, but to the use of Korea as a staging post for the Japanese for the invasion of China

wink Jel

Thank you! I will be-start by checking everything I have installed is GTG, then perform your tidying-up, and re-test. After that, I will follow directions (to the letter) in SPAW sticky above. will advise if there are any issues, but hopefully not.

As previously mentioned, I performed my re-install via downloads suggested in your "Installing 1.60" thread--the full version, not the foundation version. All GTG so far.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.