Hop To
#4429889 - 07/11/18 02:37 PM Becoming a citizen in another country  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
How many people here have gone through the naturalization process to become a citizen of another country and what was your primary motive? I'm just curious to see the results among our SimHQ community. smile

I would gather that the primary motive is economic (ie finding better job opportunities, better cost of living, etc.).

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4429978 - 07/12/18 07:32 AM Re: Becoming a citizen in another country [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
DM Offline
DM  Offline

Prague
Not naturalisation, but I am about to go through the process of permanent residency before the UK pulls out of the EU. I've been here long enough so it ought to be a smooth process.

"They might look the same, but they don't taste the same."
#4430100 - 07/12/18 11:09 PM Re: Becoming a citizen in another country [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Mad Max Offline
survivor
Mad Max  Offline
survivor
Hotshot

NSW, Australia
I've been around a bit. Went to work in Zambia in 1972 on the copper mines on a work permit. UK citizenship not affected.

Got myself into trouble and moved to Botswana in 1974 again on a work permit. Lovely little country but I had to spend a fair time in the surrounding states which weren't so nice.

Left for Australia in 1977 on a permanent residence permit, loved the place and became a citizen in 1981. Retained my UK citizenship for my kids in case they wanted to live in UK or the EU at some time. The citizenship process was very straightforward, just fronted up at the Town Hall at the appointed time and took an oath of allegiance. No problems at all.

"You'll never take me alive" said he,
And his ghost may be heard if you pass by that billabong
"Who'll come a Waltzing Matilda with me?"

#4430102 - 07/12/18 11:16 PM Re: Becoming a citizen in another country [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Mad Max Offline
survivor
Mad Max  Offline
survivor
Hotshot

NSW, Australia
I missed out on motive, basically seeking a better life for my family and myself. Still have a soft spot for the Old Country though. I'll always jump in if someone starts putting sh!t on England. Only been back twice and I have to say that I didn't fit in any more, couldn't live there.

#4430105 - 07/12/18 11:19 PM Re: Becoming a citizen in another country [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
KRT_Bong Offline
It's KRT not Kurt
KRT_Bong  Offline
It's KRT not Kurt

Sarasota, Florida
Interesting, how much did they (any of you who have done this) charge you entrance fees etc. to do this? I ask because I know it will cost you an arm an a leg and apparently your first born (it's a joke) to come into the US because I know my roomie's wife came from Canada and to know the story first hand and would be enough to deter anyone without a thick skin and strong personal identity not too mention substantial personal savings.

Windows 10 Pro
Gigabyte 970A DS3P FX
AMD FX6300 Vishera 3.5 Ghz
ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 970 Overclocked 4 GB DDR5
16Gb Patriot Viper 3 RAM DDR3 1866Mhz
Onikuma Gaming Headset (has annoying blue lights I don't use)
#4430107 - 07/12/18 11:40 PM Re: Becoming a citizen in another country [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Mad Max Offline
survivor
Mad Max  Offline
survivor
Hotshot

NSW, Australia
There was no fee for Australia, just a 10 minute interview in the Australian consulate in Pretoria. The guy there asked a few general questions, made sure that we knew we were on our own, sink or swim, then said that I seemed to be a good bloke and stamped our passports. Course this was back in 1977. We landed in Sydney, bought a car and drove North until I got a job. We came near to starving, but didn't. There was me, the wife of the time and three small kids.

#4430109 - 07/12/18 11:55 PM Re: Becoming a citizen in another country [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
VF9_Longbow Offline
Hotshot
VF9_Longbow  Offline
Hotshot

Tokyo, Japan
Left Canada for Japan 11 years ago. Could not be happier. Japan has its problems but I enjoy it very much.

Like Mad Max, I could never live in Canada again permanently, don't fit in there and don't like being there.

Citizenship is almost impossible to acquire without being married with kids (Not something I've done yet) but I'm considering it. The Canadian passport has higher value than a Japanese one though, and if Japan keeps up its warmongering in Asia I would like the option of being able to flee with my (Japanese) family if missiles start to fly, so I may hang onto the Canada passport just for that option.

#4430110 - 07/12/18 11:55 PM Re: Becoming a citizen in another country [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Max, you were also a UK citizen, so that puts some grease on the wheel. The Commonwealth is, and will always be, a thing.

My parents immigrated to the USA back in the 1960's, and since they came from Germany it was kind of a PITA for them to get the permanent residence.

The citizenship stuff was pretty straight forward for my Mom; take the class, pass the test, say the oath.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#4430112 - 07/13/18 12:01 AM Re: Becoming a citizen in another country [Re: Dart]  
cichlidfan Offline
cichlidfan  Offline

Woodbridge, VA, USA
Originally Posted by Dart
The citizenship stuff was pretty straight forward for my Mom; take the class, pass the test, say the oath.

I have a number of friends from Central and South America who have been through the process in the past twenty years, or so. What you said is what they have described.

The funny thing is that they know more about the history of this country (since they had to pass the test) than most of the folks that were born here.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1
#4430117 - 07/13/18 12:24 AM Re: Becoming a citizen in another country [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
The big hurdle is that vaunted Permanent Resident green card.

Once that's done, it's a function of wanting, waiting, and staying out of trouble.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#4430157 - 07/13/18 04:07 AM Re: Becoming a citizen in another country [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Zamzow Offline
Zamzow  Offline

I met a woman in India. We fell in love. After 5 years of ridiculously constant communication, and several airline flights visiting each other, we explored the possibility of marriage, and thus her immigration.

We quickly learned it sure as hell wasn't a simple matter of "Marry an American, become an American".

This was 20 years ago, so my information may be out of date, but basically it would have been a 7 year process. And the piles upon piles of "verifications" would have took longer than that.

We fell apart anyway though, and independently of all that, but I learned firsthand it's not as easy to immigrate to America as I'd thought...

#4430170 - 07/13/18 10:11 AM Re: Becoming a citizen in another country [Re: Zamzow]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Zamzow

We fell apart anyway though, and independently of all that, but I learned firsthand it's not as easy to immigrate to America as I'd thought...

The requirements and process to become a US citizen are quite easy when compared to the process in almost all other countries.

In your case it was more involved because of the marriage visa aspect. Unfortunately there is a ton of marriage fraud that goes on so hence the thorough investigation you encountered.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4430180 - 07/13/18 11:33 AM Re: Becoming a citizen in another country [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by VF9_Longbow
Left Canada for Japan 11 years ago. Could not be happier. Japan has its problems but I enjoy it very much.

How long did it take you to become fluent in Japanese?

#4430289 - 07/14/18 10:04 AM Re: Becoming a citizen in another country [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Zamzow Offline
Zamzow  Offline

Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Originally Posted by Zamzow

The requirements and process to become a US citizen are quite easy when compared to the process in almost all other countries.

In your case it was more involved because of the marriage visa aspect. Unfortunately there is a ton of marriage fraud that goes on so hence the thorough investigation you encountered.

I guess that's why she'd lived in multiple countries, and had been to 18+...

Dude, she'd kick both of our asses in terms of worldly matters...

I lost the lottery after I lost her...

#4430453 - 07/15/18 04:54 PM Re: Becoming a citizen in another country [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
FishTaco Offline
Forever Cromulent
FishTaco  Offline
Forever Cromulent

Perth, Western Australia
Was English, lived in Australia for a few years, took a test and swore an oath with many others to become an Australian citizen. Still recognised as both, and holding passports for both countries.

In a week or so with my current contract extension, I will receive residency to Jordan, but me an Martina must fly out of the country (for her visa) and then fly back in. We'll be spending a weekend in Egypt (Sharm el Sheikh). Once we return, I will apply for her citizenship.

When my work with the JAF is concluded, I'm hoping to come to the U.S to live, although at this stage I'm not sure what I have to do to qualify.....

Kindest regards,

AJ

"If you know the enemy and know yourself, your victory will not stand in doubt; if you know Heaven and know Earth, you may make your victory complete." - The Art of War - Sun Tzu
#4430573 - 07/16/18 02:21 PM Re: Becoming a citizen in another country [Re: FishTaco]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by FishTaco
I'm hoping to come to the U.S to live, although at this stage I'm not sure what I have to do to qualify.....

If you don't have a criminal record then the process should be pretty straight forward and relatively simple.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.